Posted Jul 29, 2013
Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

519 replies
(19) Me too
(19) Me too
Replies
(519)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 8, 2013
(0)

I am also {word filter evasion} off with AT&T with the GDDR2 Amber update delay. Almost EVERY other carrier has had the update in place, but not AT&T - the "favored" partner of Nokia in the US!!

Calling up AT&T customer support does not help at all!

I have a sneaky feeling that AT&T is trying some re-engineering - like killing the FM Radio or some such, so that the customer is forced to use streaming and use more data services from AT&T.

Anyway, enough is enough. If the update does not take place in another week or so, I am leaving AT&T as soon as my contract expires. I will go to Big Red, which is much better in terms of updates, support and cutomer service.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 8, 2013
(0)

I hope more people do the same, dropping ATT is frankly the only action they may notice. God knows they are not paying attention to the numberous forum threads like this one. Maybe I can find a new carrier that shows me love the day after I sign the contract.

* I hope Microsoft finds a way to achieve what Apple has (as far as i know); when Apple releases their new IOS for the iphone you dont hear about iphone users out there getting it months after the fact.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 9, 2013
(0)

McHale72 wrote:
I remember when Windows 7.8 and Windows 8 got announced there was SOMEONE on here (not naming names, he knows who he is) that swore up and down that AT&T could not under ANY circumstance block any updates. When I stated that it wasn't true because I had confirmed it with the development team, they basically called me an ID10T (sorry, to get past the political correctness filter) and a liar.

For the record, I'm still expecting my apology. This is AT&T we're talking about. They would rather lose a million customers than miss out on a potential new phone sale. They are THAT money hungry and anti-consumer.

I didn't call you either of those, and as far as I can see here AT&T isn't blocking an update - all the carriers *still* have final approval on updates, which is what's happening here - so yes, I was incorrect Microsoft still hasn't got the clout Apple does when it comes to bypassing carriers.

If you'd like me to apologise for being wrong about the direct release of updates to phones in WP8, then sure - I'm sorry I was wrong. Eventually it would be great if that were true, and perhaps a Microsoft branded phone would have the clout to demand that of the carriers. With a 3% market share I don't hold much hope out, but stranger things have happened.

The assumption that they somehow will get more new phone sales if they approve an os update 3-4 weeks after the first day it's available is an interesting theroy which I disagree with :smileyhappy:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 9, 2013
(0)

We're coming up on a month now and not a peep from AT&T. It's nice to see that they regard us as billing statements rather than customers.

AT&T has the most atrocious customer service I have expereienced, and I am a former Time Warner Cable customer...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 9, 2013
(0)

Just had my weekly "chat" with AT&T support and they are claiming that Nokia has not yet released the update to AT&T.  I got fed up and told them that their comment was a bunch of BULL!  It's pathetic!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 9, 2013
(0)
What's great is, the GDR3 update details are already leaking out (and on a Lumia 920 BTW). Check them out here (and pray that AT&T allows us to have them): http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2013/09/08/microsoft_update_for_windows_phone_8_leaked_in_...

For the record, AT&T isn't (and hasn't been) testing Amber this whole time. It was delayed specifically because of the 1020 (and a tiny bit because of the 925) launch. It was a business decision to focus their attention on selling new product vs. supporting old product. Remember, GDR2 was pushed IMMEDIATELY to the HTC 8X upon availability from HTC. It was the same factors that kept AT&T from updating the 7.x devices - there were always newer products to push.

I have 2 Lumias - one which I have already pushed the AT&T developer ROM to and my daily phone which I will keep stock as long as I can tolerate. Once the official Amber update is pushed I will see what they stripped out of it and decide what to go with going forward. I'm pretty sure we all know how they're going to destroy it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 9, 2013
(0)

My souring is nearing action phase.  If Nexus 5 looks decent then I'm outta here.  No more gutless lying Windows Phone (carriers won't be able to stop updates with new WP8, and that enthusiast program getting access to updates early - lying liars telling lies) and no more at&t (putting customers last if you don't buy a brand new phone).  This joke is not funny any more.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 9, 2013
(0)
You raise a good point McHail72... I was so p'ed off, I couldn't think clearly or I would have thrown that back at her! LOL

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 9, 2013
(0)

Now please do not shoot the messenger but I called Ms. Gonzalez from the office of the President the same persion I talket to earlier and she states the latest is that it is still in testing with a release date no later than the end of Sept.

I will not bublish her private number but I will release it to a Mod along with the case number  so they can call her and verify this information for you all

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 9, 2013
(0)

I don't know how many different ways we can say "by the end of september".

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 9, 2013
(0)
Yes, end of September. However, that does not justify AT&T's delays in releasing the update. They should have NOTHING to say about the update. So AT&T's delays make me rethink whether they will be my cellular service much longer. I like my windows phone much more than AT&T. They are functioning in a feature phone mentality when the carrier meant much more. Well I will move to a different one.

Furthermore, this little thing with amber makes WP8.1 seem very questionable.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 10, 2013
(0)

I just got an automated call from AT&T asking me to confirm that my recent customer service call (re: GDR2/Amber) was "resolved."  It told me to press 9 for "yes it was resolved," but it didn't tell me which key to press for "up yours, you lying sacks of cow excrement."  I continue to be amazed by the gall of their attempted customer "service."

We have about 20 more days, I guess.

In related news, Apple announced that iOS 7 would be available September 18.  AT&T quickly followed up with a statement that "due to their rigorous testing standards, which are better than anyone else in the industry, iOS 7 will not be available on the AT&T network until some unspecified future date."

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 10, 2013
(0)

It amazes me how after years and years of this exact same behavior on AT&T's part (they were as notorious for their stalled WM updates then as they are now with their Android and WP updates now), people are still amazed that updates aren't released in a timely manner. It'll come at some point, just wait for it. You know what won't help though? Ranting and raving about it on a user forum. "Oh look at me, I called the office of the President and got the exact same response ..." posts fall into the same boat as well.

If you're really that hard up on getting GDR2, flash the dang thing already. The method has been available for around a month now.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 10, 2013
(0)

A quote from Nicole K., your lovely AT&T Social Media Manager

"We hear you, and we know you are eager to update your device. OS updates are tricky, and require a ton of coordination with device manufactures to make sure the latest updates work properly on our network. As soon as we have news to share on the update, we will be sure to let people know. You can follow our @ATT page on Twitter, or check out our new release page at www.att.com/newsroom."

@Nicole

1. No, I don't feel AT&T hears us - just checkout all the people on WPCENTRAL

2. We have been patient, but you fail to understand this breed of customer.

3. Tricky to update? Third world countries have pushed out GDR2 faster!!!

Listen to your customers and start pushing out the firmware already, and plan to make the process go faster in the future please!

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 10, 2013
(0)

@ACE - Professor

If we don't complain, AT&T won't change. If enough people complain or leave altogether, it may cause AT&T to relook at the way they conduct their business.

Bottom line, the customer is why AT&T exists. I am pretty sure this thread would look ugly if a stock analyst wrote about AT&T's poor customer service.

At the end of the day, what you write does mean something! A negative view of AT&T is NOT something any company desires!

SPEAK UP AND BE HEARD!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 10, 2013
(0)
GRD3 is already well into its process and we don't even have GRD2, lol. Oh, ATT...how I love you

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 10, 2013
(0)

Still "Waiting for approval"? Seriously?! :smileysad:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2013
(0)

Yep, they sure do understand our displeasure.....and direct us to a site that tells us how great they are.

Their testing is because they have to add all their bloatware on the update.  Don't know why they do such things since most of us remove the bloatware anyway...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2013
(0)
"80072ee2" error message. Cannot check for updates. Is that an overload message?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2013
(0)

I am getting that too..  "We are currently unable to check for updates (80072ee2)"  Maybe we are overloading the servers...  :smileywink:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2013
(0)
I haven't waited this long since the wp7.8 update was being released. Scheduled Oct 2012 and it didn't get released till Jan 2013.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2013
(0)

I did contact her office and was given the same answer. But it does not make any sense the 925 and the 1020 are using the same chipset and they are been sold. I think its at&t not taking care of its customer. They have you under contract so where are you going to go. I bet you if they did not have the stupid contract and have to fight to retain customer they would be doing a better job of trying to hold on to us  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2013
(0)
We are getting hammered by the update delay.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 12, 2013
(0)
Has anyone heard anything new about the update?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 12, 2013
(0)
Nope, still "waiting for approval" last time I checked. I would really like to hear of this "rigorous" process that ATT puts the phones through before they release an update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 12, 2013
(0)
The 925 comes out tomorrow. What do you want to bet the update comes right after that?

Or maybe they'll hold it for another week to try to encourage people to buy a new phone.

Wither way it's dumb. Based on my customer service experience, if I buy a 925, it'll be from t mobile.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 12, 2013
(0)
Hopefully something comes out by the end of the month. Nokia's Bandit 1520 is supposed to come out this year, so they can't be behind on their updates...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 12, 2013
(0)

I think this kind of hold-up is just another way to keep pushing Apple products. It's really funny how any other platform than Apple is always waiting for approval, but my kids iphone have the update the day it's announced. Gee, why isn't Windows Phones getting more market share in the US?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2013
(0)
Like removing data sense?

Re: gdr2 update

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 13, 2013
(0)
Apple does not go through the carrier for their updates. Those come directly from apple. Why Nokia or Microsoft does not do this I don’t understand.