Posted Jul 29, 2013
Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

519 replies
(19) Me too
(19) Me too
Replies
(519)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2013
(0)

you know you kind of don't make sense. the lumia 1020 and 925 come with gdr2 and amber pre installed.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2013
(0)

No, I do make sense they wait on updating the old existing equipment in the hopes of getting up to get a new 925 or 1020 device.  It means more $$ in their pocket in case we decide to purchase a newer device.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2013
(0)

lylone wrote:

No, I do make sense they wait on updating the old existing equipment in the hopes of getting up to get a new 925 or 1020 device.  It means more $$ in their pocket in case we decide to purchase a newer device.

Anyone who bought a 920 (Nov 2012 or later) isn't eligible for a new device upgrade yet - so it seems highly unlikely this is the cunning plan.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2013
(0)

Did I say upgrade...I meant purchase!  Purchase it for full price or do their payment deal.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2013
(0)

AT&T does not want anything getting in the way when people are deciding whether or not to enter into a new two year contract. That is where their wireless revenue is, all of it. For every 100,000 customers that get a new contract and a 1GB data plan that is $22,800,000 they have for predictable revenue for the next two years.

Updating the 920 now might get in the way of the decision. They started accepting pre-orders yesterday and the phone will be released on Sept 13. If customers dig just a little deeper they will realize the 925 is inferior to the 920, no wireless charging and 16GB of memory with no SD slot.  But, it is new so it has to be better.

This is why we wait. I will guess Amber does not show up until at least a few days after the 925 is released.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2013
(0)

It definitely seems as though the delay is for business reasons, and not for technical reasons, which is a bunch of bull*** as far as I'm concerned.

At this point I'm seriously considering switching to Verizon when my contract is up, I've had enough bad experiences with AT&T.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2013
(0)

I don't remember them delaying other WP8 updates like this..

They delayed BB updates all the time, but it was easy to circumvent that.

I just don't understand them having to test things so much.  I haven't seen many complaints about issues out there on the net about other carriers having issues.  Especially Rogers.....

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2013
(0)

ATT is notorius for stripping features and slow or no updates for smartphones. Although with gdr2/amber i believe (personal feeling, no evidebce...yet) it is the former. stripping of features like data sense and fm radio.

just like with windows on a pc, when you make core o/s changes things start falling apart and you have to cobble whats left back together so all works again. ATT has released gdr2 to the HTC WP8 device already.

theory number2

they ran out of resources for testing because of the 1020, 925 and the rumored bandit phablet all hitting within the same time frame as gdr2/amber.

either way it is really bush league of ATT to stall

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2013
(0)

Hello everyone, thank you so much for your feedback. We know you're eager to update your device, and as soon as we have news to share, we'll be sure to let you guys know.

I would also like to thank you for your patience!

Dmitriy

Community Manager

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2013
(0)

ATTDmitriyCM wrote:

Hello everyone, thank you so much for your feedback. We know you're eager to update your device, and as soon as we have news to share, we'll be sure to let you guys know.

Bahahahahaha! Two weeks after Nokia releases the update AT&T takes notice of the active discussion.  I can feel the care AT&T has about this issue.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2013
(0)
This is the nice way of saying "it'll be ready when it's ready and we'll tell you when it is ready". Every day new carriers are releasing this update for their phones and each day none of them are AT&T. I understand not wanting to commit to a specific date but a time frame would be nice. Or at least admit Windows Phone isn't a priority so there is no rush to release the update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2013
(0)

mopinla wrote:

ATTDmitriyCM wrote:

Bahahahahaha! Two weeks after Nokia releases the update AT&T takes notice of the active discussion.  I can feel the care AT&T has about this issue.

Remember this is NOT an AT&T support forum, it's just a user-to-user community forum where customers can help each other, chat, etc. It was nice of someone from AT&T to drop in and say "you'll know when you know, because we'll have released it"

There are people who help when there is a support issue that can be solved - I'll call for help or suggest a direct PM to people who can help. This isn't one of those cases.

It's gonna take them however long it takes. For whatever reasons. Maybe it will be AWESOME and come with full support for data sense, and everything else just like Nokia released it. Maybe it will have some stuff removed. Maybe it will be here in a day. Maybe a month. No one who knows is talking, and everything else is speculation.

So, yep, back to checking daily if an Update is Availabile. Not today. Maybe next week.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2013
(0)

mrtimsmith wrote:
This is the nice way of saying "it'll be ready when it's ready and we'll tell you when it is ready". Every day new carriers are releasing this update for their phones and each day none of them are AT&T. I understand not wanting to commit to a specific date but a time frame would be nice. Or at least admit Windows Phone isn't a priority so there is no rush to release the update.

Or there is some other reason. Doesn't have to be either of those. We'll never know. We do have a rumored date of "end of September" and I would bet real money that's accurate - it will be here sometime between tomorrow (since it's not here today) and "end of September".

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 29, 2013
(0)

johninsj wrote:

Remember this is NOT an AT&T support forum, it's just a user-to-user community forum where customers can help each other, chat, etc. It was nice of someone from AT&T to drop in and say "you'll know when you know, because we'll have released it"

WRONG. It was not nice of someone from AT&T to drop in and say nothing of value. Whoop de do.  We have established that it will get here when it gets here (after the rest of the world).  There is NO acknowlegment on AT&T's part that this is important and/or going anywhere.  As many others have pointed out, it's really not that difficult to release this update. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 30, 2013
(0)

mopinla wrote:

johninsj wrote:

WRONG. It was not nice of someone from AT&T to drop in and say nothing of value. Whoop de do.  We have established that it will get here when it gets here (after the rest of the world).  There is NO acknowlegment on AT&T's part that this is important and/or going anywhere.  As many others have pointed out, it's really not that difficult to release this update. 

RIGHT for this forum. What do you expect other users to do beyond commiserate?

I don't like waiting either - but there isn't much I can do about it - no, wait, there's nothing I can do about it.

AT&T never announces update schedules. They will release it. Or do you think they won't? Why? It's "waiting for approval" - that's where it is.

So, we wait. For approval.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 30, 2013
(0)

Yes I would like to update ASAP, however I'm sure not going to venture over to a great developmental site, and flash........to a 'cooked ROM' just to have it, as I'm not to excited to end up with a very expensive paper weight....lol

johninsj wrote:

mopinla wrote:

ATTDmitriyCM wrote:

It was nice of someone from AT&T to drop in and say "you'll know when you know, because we'll have released it" Maybe it will be AWESOME and come with full support for data sense, and everything else just like Nokia released it.

So, yep, back to checking daily if an Update is Availabile. Not today. Maybe next week.

Yes indeed...as I would like to upgrade ASAP, however I'm sure not going to venture to s great 'development site' to flash to a 'cooked ROM' just to have it...not to excited to end up having a very expensive paper weight...

lol

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 30, 2013
(0)
Every time I think of ATT testing something I'm reminded of that Simpsons episode where Homer makes a bowl of cereal and it catches on fire.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 30, 2013
(0)

gahbmwm5 wrote:

Yes I would like to update ASAP, however I'm sure not going to venture over to a great developmental site, and flash........to a 'cooked ROM' just to have it, as I'm not to excited to end up with a very expensive paper weight....lol

So much misinformation in one post...

1. The ROM that people are flashing onto their 920s in order to enjoy both GDR2 and Amber is not "cooked," or in any way custom. If you did any research on it whatsoever, you'd find that it is actually an officially released dev ROM. WP8 is still very much secure (we only just got reading parts of the registry working recently), so at this point, custom ROMs are completely out of the question.

2. Never in all my years of both cooking and beta testing for other devs have I encountered a ROM that bricked my device just by simply sitting on my device. 99.9% of bricks come from people who have no idea what they're doing and are too lazy to follow the detailed step-by-step write-ups and YT videos that come with their respective ROMs, choosing instead to skip steps and cut corners.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 30, 2013
(0)

You are correct...my mistake as labeling it a 'cooked ROM'......as I had a 'mind melt'/blond moment....BTW, I have had Samsung Blackjacks l, ll, and would do vast thorough reseach, and flashed many, many, many times....without any issues at all!

Windows Phone 7, Samsung Focus, Nokia 900, Nokia 920, Nokia 1020.....thoroughly enjoy the Windows Phone 8 environment....however will wait for official release from AT&T...

However, I miss the days of Windows 6.x (phone devices) txcaesar site....and venturing into that fantastic developmental site.....I'm by no means a expect....coder, but a extreme enthusiast.....apologies for all my mis-information....lol

There is a ROM available that comes from our friends north-of-the-border.....these developers do a fantastic job at this Dev. site....do not get me wrong.....however the main issue is trying to flash back to original OEM/Carrier Rom now...

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 1, 2013
(0)
When is my Lumia 920 getting this update please.

gdr2 update

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 1, 2013
(0)

Nobody knows, but we'll more than likely see something pop up by the end of the month.

Re: gdr2 update

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 1, 2013
(0)
Don't worry about it, move on, AT&T doesn't have us 920 users as a high priority so they aren't only taking their time with the update they're staying silent and not even telling us why Rogers and other carriers have already finished testing their updates for the same phone. We don't matter. We are already in contract. New contracts and new users matter. The whole "premier partner" for Windows Phone thing was obviously a joke.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 2, 2013
(0)

Before GDR4 becomes officially available @verizon/tmobile/. I promise.

There's still little chance that you will get it before GDR3 @verizon/tmobile, but I can't guarantee.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 2, 2013
(0)

fiedel wrote:

Before GDR4 becomes officially available @verizon/tmobile/. I promise.

There's still little chance that you will get it before GDR3 @verizon/tmobile, but I can't guarantee.

Oh come on... GDR3 hasn't even been released by Microsoft yet. Given it took everyone THREE MONTHS from the release of GDR2 to the first update on any carrier, it's highly unlikely GDR3 is going to be released before the end of September - the unoffical rumored release date for AT&T of the 920 update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 3, 2013
(0)

Now we know for sure. End of September, or sooner:

http://conversations.nokia.com/2013/08/30/lumia-amber-your-questions-answered/

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 3, 2013
(0)

AT&T is working on the latest Windows Phone 8 software update called GDR2 for the Nokia Lumia 820 and Nokia Lumia 920 that includes Nokia’s Amber upgrades.  In an effort to provide our customers with the best upgrade experience possible, all software updates go through rigorous testing before they are released.  We will release the update as soon as testing is complete and hope to have more information to share with you on timing in the near future.  We appreciate your patience.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 3, 2013
(0)

ATTJulieCS wrote:

AT&T is working on the latest Windows Phone 8 software update called GDR2 for the Nokia Lumia 820 and Nokia Lumia 920 that includes Nokia’s Amber upgrades.  In an effort to provide our customers with the best upgrade experience possible, all software updates go through rigorous testing before they are released.  We will release the update as soon as testing is complete and hope to have more information to share with you on timing in the near future.  We appreciate your patience.

Nonsense.  You shouldn't even bother posting.  All you are doing is stating, "we are a worse carrier than Verizon and every other major world-wide wireless provider." I've really come to hate AT&T, and bland statements such as this don't make it any better.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 3, 2013
(0)

You know, I feel bad for the poor employee who is told to post this, but this is what it sounds like to me:

"AT&T is busy. Too busy to be dealing with this right now. We are working on something for release sometime and we have a group of people sitting on this update in the queue of a million other phones, somewhere on the low priority list because this update only affects phones more than 4 hours old and that means we already have you for 18-24 months. So deal with it. We do understand that we are a multi-billion dollar company that exists solely because people need cell sevice and we kinda got here first and we do understand that for some reason, we can't figure out a reasonable soak test or beta program in order to alleviate some work and wait for you and us, but we're gonna just keep letting, um... let's call him Steve, from maintenance toy around with this until he thinks it's ready... or our new phones are freshly released, whichever comes first. So now here's a re-babble of essentially nothing to try and satiate you inquiring, paying, long time customers. Just remember, here at AT&T, we are AT&T. Any information regarding the service you pay for is solely the property of AT&T and is on a "you don't need to know basis." Now if you could all just go about your business, you're wasting valuable bandwidth with all this conjecture and we occasionally have to have an employee copy and paste a corporate produced cookie cutter statement that says nothing, but is in Italics... that's right, Italics, which is not only costly, that 30 seconds is increasing your bill remember, but also interrupts our round of Angry Birds. So, just sit there and take it like the unimportant, forgettable, nuisances you are. Thanks for your patience and please press the "Accepted Solution" button so people will ignore this thread."

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 3, 2013
(0)

Just got off of another pointless chat with customer service.  Continued bottom line: "We don't care about Windows Phone. You'll get it when you get it."

"You wouldn't expect Apple to give you the release date for iOS7 just because you asked for it?" - rep

"But Nokia has already released this. You're not Apple. This is not your update. Besides, iOS 7 will be available to everyone when Apple says it is available, not when AT&T says it's available." - me

"Well we have the most robust and thorough testing in the industry, and we cannot give release dates. It's what's best for all customers." - rep

I know that I'm just tilting at windmills, and there isn't enough uproar to change anything in AT&T culture. It just adds up to recommending Verizon to friends and changing when the time comes.  Just a little bit of transparency/information would satisfy me.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 3, 2013
(0)

mopinla wrote:
It just adds up to recommending Verizon to friends and changing when the time comes.

Having been with VZ and Sprint and T-Mobile for various numbers of years (sometimes at the same time with multiple devices) all I can say is while the turds may be shaped differently and land on other parts of your yard, they still lay 'em at all the other carriers too :smileyhappy:

That said, we have all the info we're gonna get at this point. Set your expectations for the last day of September. Rejoice if it happens sooner.