Posted Jul 29, 2013
4:11:07 PM
Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

519 replies
(19) Me too
(19) Me too
Replies
(519)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 17, 2013 12:59:11 PM
(0)
Explorer

when will at&t throw the switch for those of us with lumia 920 to get gdr2 & amber update

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 17, 2013 4:20:03 PM
(0)
Tutor
Well it seems that AT&T really takes their time.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 17, 2013 7:23:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

smoledman wrote:
Well it seems that AT&T really takes their time.

Yep. Not released on Friday. Or Saturday. Sunday not looking good either. Maybe Monday?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 17, 2013 8:58:31 PM
(0)
Mentor

I hope everyone on this thread has called or started a support chat with someone to try to get a firm answer.  I'm not happy with what I got ("end of August or beginning of September,") but if enough people hold their feet to the fire, there might be a slightly more concrete response.  Please match the fervor of "AT&T sucks" posts with action that might make them take notice.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 18, 2013 7:24:22 AM
(0)
Scholar

My guess is not for another two weeks.  AT&T first to release it and then last to update it.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 18, 2013 12:23:37 PM
(0)
Mentor
Today my wife's t-mo 521 gets a big update. It now has datasense. Nice app. And AT&T is likely delaying our GDR2 to strip out datasense. Premier carrier strikes again!

#thenodonetwork

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 18, 2013 12:39:15 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

mrpither wrote:
Today my wife's t-mo 521 gets a big update. It now has datasense. Nice app. And AT&T is likely delaying our GDR2 to strip out datasense. Premier carrier strikes again!

#thenodonetwork

They don't have to strip out anything - data sense doesn't work unless the carrier implements support for it on the back end.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 19, 2013 10:08:10 AM
(0)
Mentor

good to know, but then what's the hold up???

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 19, 2013 11:25:39 AM
(0)
Scholar

According to AT&T support... you have to call Nokia to find out when Nokia will release it.    This is after I showed him the web page coming straight from Nokia.  Typical AT&T support...blaming someone else...

This is after I had to explain to the tech that it was an UPDATE and not an alert of some sort of software.  They saw GDR2/Amber Update and thought it was some alert.... SHEESH

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 19, 2013 12:54:00 PM
(0)
Mentor

Contacted support again, and the agent didn't have a clue about the update.  The next level said "you'll get it when you get it," and he couldn't answer basic questions about the process, why they can't provide a target date, why other carriers nationally and globally have released it.  Their business process on releasing updates is completely unacceptable.  If this was a minor update, I wouldn't be in such a snit, but this adds some very significant features to the phone that I could use right away.

In lieu of releasing it immediately, all I'm asking is that they give a date. I don't know why that is too much to ask.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 19, 2013 10:14:05 PM
(0)
Teacher
They don't care about windows phone much in general since it's not a huge seller. Plus pushing out an update to those of us with existing phones and contracts isn't a high priority to them. It doesn't make them any money. All it'll do is get people mad at windows phone and either buy a 1020 or switch to android or iPhone. Either way AT&T wins. New contracts are more important than existing ones.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 5:37:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

mopinla wrote:

In lieu of releasing it immediately, all I'm asking is that they give a date. I don't know why that is too much to ask.

Nokia released it to AT&T and every other carrier on Thursday of last week. It's currently showing as "Waiting for approval" for all Lumias on AT&T - that's all anyone knows and AT&T never pre-announces their release schedules.

You'll get it when you get it is the most accurate answer you're likely to get. There isn't anything else you can do. The good news is we will get it, eventually, likely in days if not a handful of weeks.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 7:47:24 AM
(0)
Scholar

Amber and GDR2 have ALREADY BEEN APPROVED BY AT&T which is why their newer devices ship with it.  It's also why the HTC 8X got it immediately.  In typical AT&T style, they are purposely NOT giving it to older models of handsets.  My Titan stopped getting updates when the Titan II came out.  The Titan II *NEVER* got an update to the latest WP 7.8 because Windows Phone 8 was out.

This is a conscious decision by AT&T to withhold the update.  It's done.  It's ready.  Nokia had it ready weeks ago and AT&T has been sitting on it.  There's nothing to test.

AT&T is a money hungry, anti-consumer company.  Any other view on AT&T is simply misguided.  This is Microsoft's fault for letting AT&T do this.  Rumor has it that the "Early Adopter Enthusiasts Program" was killed by AT&T which is why it has not been spoken about since launch.  

Remember this?

And I hope this finally shuts up those AT&T apologists that swore up and down that AT&T could not block updates.  As I explained on day 1, they can and will.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 8:04:14 AM
(0)
Mentor
I beg to differ... The fact that the HTC 8X is now receiving GDR2 as an update on the AT&T network means simply that AT&T are dragging their feet, not simply that they are no longer supporting the Lumia 820 or 920. Having said that, I TOO share in your frustration with AT&T and have similar stories of my older Samsung phones NEVER receiving an official update to WP 7.8, but I think with WP 8, the issue is different... There IS no "newer version" of Windows Phone out there, (eg. Windows Phone Blue/8.1), so in this case, I think we're simply seeing a lumbering giant be just that... A lumbering giant. Again, given that older HTC 8X's are receiving GDR2 over the air, the Lumia's cannot be too far behind. I would guess some time in the next 2-4 weeks.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 8:48:10 AM
(0)
Tutor
Att will be removing data sense from what I understand. There were quiet a lot of talk on wpcentral regarding some services being removed by US carriers, too bad I missed nokias update when it was floating on the servers.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 10:50:27 AM
(0)
Teacher

Notice a trend in North America? Only AT&T is still going. Similar phones on other carriers are good to go but not AT&T.

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-americ...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 11:10:58 AM
(0)
Teacher

As usual AT&T is late to the party with updates. Every other US provider has already made the update avaiable to their customers.

It took them 6 months to roll out the JB update for HTC One X a supposed flagship product and now we probably won't see the Amber/GDR2 Update until end of September or later.

Here is where you can get official information about the Amber/GDR2 update from Nokia:

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-americ...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 4:24:18 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yep, available for Verizon and T-Mobile ... AT&T slow to release again ... thumbs up on the term "lumbering giant" used in an earlier post

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2013 7:30:18 PM
(0)
Mentor

August 20th - Nokia 920 GDR2 Update is still "Waiting for approval"!

Seriously!?

Makes me wish that upcoming Nokia 6-incher is not an AT&T excusive :smileysad:

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 5:27:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

Premier Carrier. Just sayin'.

AmberUpdate.PNG

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 5:34:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

McHale72 wrote:

Amber and GDR2 have ALREADY BEEN APPROVED BY AT&T which is why their newer devices ship with it.  It's also why the HTC 8X got it immediately.  In typical AT&T style, they are purposely NOT giving it to older models of handsets.  My Titan stopped getting updates when the Titan II came out.  The Titan II *NEVER* got an update to the latest WP 7.8 because Windows Phone 8 was out.

This is a conscious decision by AT&T to withhold the update.  It's done.  It's ready.  Nokia had it ready weeks ago and AT&T has been sitting on it.  There's nothing to test.

AT&T is a money hungry, anti-consumer company.  Any other view on AT&T is simply misguided.  This is Microsoft's fault for letting AT&T do this.  Rumor has it that the "Early Adopter Enthusiasts Program" was killed by AT&T which is why it has not been spoken about since launch.  

Remember this?

And I hope this finally shuts up those AT&T apologists that swore up and down that AT&T could not block updates.  As I explained on day 1, they can and will.

How are they blocking it? In the US, they still have to approve the release - yes, that sucks. Eventually they will approve it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 7:36:27 AM
(0)
Explorer

This fragmented update distrbution is what drove me back to iphone after my initial try with windows phone and the samsung focus. Now here I am with my 920 in the exact same boat. I pay a premium to AT&T for the same services I coud recieve through competitors for better service. So what is this? I'm on the premier carrier in the US with the premier phone and there is limited support, wonderful.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 9:55:35 AM
(0)
Scholar

johninsj wrote:

How are they blocking it? In the US, they still have to approve the release - yes, that sucks. Eventually they will approve it.

Um, GDR2 HAS been approved.  That's why the 1020 was released with it.

They are BLOCKING it just as they blocked every update after 7740 for 7.x.  They strung us along that a BIGGER update was destined for our devices while we angrily sat and watched every other device from every other carrier get updates.  3rd world countries have better device support than AT&T.  

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 10:01:33 AM
(0)
Mentor

McHale72 wrote:

Remember this?

You know, I want the GDR2/Amber update too (and I had a Titan before my Lumia 920, so I know all about that too), but this rant is incredibly unfair in this particular case (though I might start agreeing with you if it is October and no GDR2/Amber on my 920).

1. The 8X only had the GDR2 update, while the Nokies get Amber too.  So there was less to test on the 8X.
  2. The fact that GDR2/Amber is on new devices doesn't mean that it works perfectly for the old ones.  Devices like the 1020 were designed from the ground up with GDR2/Amber in mind.  Devices like the 920 weren't.  Chances are awfully good that there isn't/shouldn't be a problem with the updates on existing devices, but one never knows for 100% sure until tested.
  3. I personally don't mind if AT&T is a little slow releasing updates generally.  (But please don't block them forever like you did with the Titan.)   Being conservative on the update curve allows AT&T to utilize the experiences of other carriers.  I.E., if a breaking bug appears after general release (and occasionally they do as with 7.8, or with the very first WinPho update which bricked a whole bunch of Focuses), then the update can be delayed until it is fixed.  You don't have to do anything else except watch the other carriers deal with the mess.  If you are first out of the gate, then you get to deal with everything, which drives your support costs up.  Don't forget that the carriers have the brunt of the support burden when these updates have big bugs.  All MS & Nokia really have to do is say, "Oops, and here's the fix" while the carriers have to deal with all the irate customers, etc.
  4.   The slide you showed said nothing about updates bypassing the carriers. Updates are indeed delivered over the air (unlike WinPho 7 having to go through Zune), and MS is supporting the software for 18 months as promised.  The only lapse is the enthusiast program, which I do believe should exist.  I.E., if you can do your own troubleshooting, then I think that installing software before it is fully tested by the carrier should be allowed, so long as the user knows the risks, etc.

A general update should "just work".  I deal with computer issues, etc. all day long, and I really don't feel like having to be an über-geek with my (or my wife's and daughter's) Windows Phones too.  I just want them to work as advertised, and for any updates to go smoothly and without any fuss.

Also, a lot of what you were referring to was what was in this slide as interpreted by Paul Thurrott.  While I wish he were right all along, alas it turns out that he was wrong in this case.  But the fact that Thurrott misinterpreted a slide isn't really AT&T's fault.  Sorry.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 10:58:21 AM
(0)
Scholar

What I think is interesting is that my Nokia E71 non-ATT branded cell phone is STILL to this day getting updates.  But my Lumia 920 has to wait until ATT approves it.  Funny isn't it. 

I am sure the E71x (ATT branded) stopped getting updates awhile ago...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 21, 2013 11:46:46 AM
(0)
Teacher

My question here is, if the Amber/GDR2 update is already avaiable for the Lumia 1020, what is taking so long for the Lumia 920 approval?

From a hardware standpoint, apart from the camera module (41MP vs. 8.7),screen (AMOLED vs. IPS LCD) and system RAM (2GB vs 1GB) they are the same CPU/GPU combinmation and modem. There shouldn't be much of an issue in pushing this update out in a timely fashion...

The Verizon Lumia 928 already has the Amber/GDR2 update, why is AT&T "quality control" taking so long?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2013 5:05:52 AM
(0)
Mentor

there is a real question here.  on the on hand some say att is dragging their feet because they dont care.  on the other, some say att has to test the new updates. 

my thoughts are that the latter argument is plain wrong.  nokia already has tested it, tested the updates with much greater technical skill than att will muster.  i would rather do a wired update (i.e. through usb) than wait for att over the air.  ultimately, this is a huge mistake by microsoft to give service providers this much power over updates.  the updat should simply be released on this day. n

as for data sense, i think att does not want that available.

ultimately, this may drive me to a different service provider or it may force me to manually update - which i dont want to do.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2013 7:39:15 AM
(0)
Professor

I just spent a hour on the phone with AT&T this guy and his supervisor never heard about the Amber update or any other pending updates not a good sign

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2013 8:30:55 AM
(0)
Mentor

I don't believe thats true.   First of all, everyone talks about calling ATT support for answers.  These people are outsourced, minimum wage people, though good at their jobs, are NOT privy to any release information.  You won't bully anyone in support into telling you anything.  They simply do not know.

With GDR2, sure the 1020 has it.  But coming installed with it and updating t o it are different things.  GDR2 was ready several weeks ago...Individual acceptance has more to do that just testing and releasing.   Putting it into the release cycle and planning for the volume and support of the most popular phone, is part of their logistics.  I'm not saying this is the best answer, but it is part of the answer.

As far as removing things from the code.  Not gonna happen.  Though ATT does get customized releases from MS...the package is not as customizable as WM 6 and before.  They can't touch the core OS.  They get x number of apps to load.  Things like Data Sense can be turned off...but not removed. 

As far as Amber update.  ATT is responsible for GDR2.  Nokia for Amber.  The install package of GDR2 and Amber is up to ATT if they are designed to be released together. ATT will not know the specifics.  They will install GDR2 plus the custom package.   Asking the minimum wage support person about Amber is not helpful or useful.  If  you want to upset yourself ...go ahead...but they will not know. 

Finally, every release, every update, everyone here gets all upset about the way ATT does things.  When have they ever done anything different.  What you are seeing now, is the standard.  to expect anything else is setting yourself up for failure...

Remember, everything ATT, Verizon does is designed to make themselves money.  There is no goodwill involved in this.  Justify in your mind, how this update will make ATT money....you will have your answer to the release. 

Imagine the delay for Blue !!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 22, 2013 12:43:49 PM
(0)
Mentor

http://www.wpcentral.com/rogers-begins-rolling-out-amber-and-gdr2-nokia-lumia-920-owners

and AT&T continues it's lead to be the the last to update, sealing its reputation as the worst Windows Phone carrier....