Posted Jul 29, 2013
Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

Where's The GDR2/Amber Update... Any Schedule?

[ Edited ]
519 replies
(19) Me too
(19) Me too
Replies
(519)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 29, 2013
(0)

taylorbro wrote:

Ok ATT, when is GDR2 going to be released for the Nokia 920 (and all the other phones).

-taylor

I don't think they every comment on when a release will happen. Assume it will be before the end of summer and you'll probably be safe.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Where's The GDR2 Update... Any Schedule?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 30, 2013
(0)

The funny thing is that the Lumia 520($99 no contract) on GoPhone has it already.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 31, 2013
(0)

drjekel_mrhyde wrote:

The funny thing is that the Lumia 520($99 no contract) on GoPhone has it already.

It's a new phone, like the 1020. They both shipped with GDR2 from nokia.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 31, 2013
(0)

According to this http://unleashthephones.com/2013/07/28/video-amber-update-for-nokia-lumia-920-near-final-build/ (NOT an AT&T source) it could still be several weeks before the 920 release.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 1, 2013
(0)

FWIW, Telstra (Austraila) says that they received GDR2 on 7-12, and they are expecting to release it on 8-14.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Device-Updates/Handset-updates-18-July/td-p/172420

That doesn't mean AT&T is going to do anyting then (Telstra and AT&T are different).  But it should give a sense of the timeframe that the cell phone carriers are working under.  Personally, I would be surprised if the 920s don't have the GDR2 update from AT&T by the end of August, as AT&T has actually been reasonably good pushing through updates to the Nokias, especially the flagship ones.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 1, 2013
(0)

When will the GDR2 update be released for the Nokia Lumia 920 and also the Amber update?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 2, 2013
(0)

schinchillaboy wrote:

When will the GDR2 update be released for the Nokia Lumia 920 and also the Amber update?

You'll know as soon as anyone else - there is no info yet.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 6, 2013
(0)

I am NOT suggesting you manually install the update, just reporting status. According to

http://www.wpcentral.com/gdr2-update-nokia-lumia-920-lumia-820-nokia-servers

the GDR2 update for the 920 has arrived at the Nokia update servers. This DOES NOT mean it's released by AT&T yet, but it is a step along the path to that. If it's like prior Nokia/AT&T WP updates, it should show up as a phone update in not too many days from now :smileyhappy:

It's coming...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2013
(0)

Waiting on this so I can install our lotus traveler company email!!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 9, 2013
(0)

I already have Lotus company email on my 920 and it is not using Traveler.  Speak to your Lotus Admin because I was able to Lotus email on mine.  It works great too as I get the emails on the 920 before I get it on the Lotus Notes client on my work laptop....  Go figure!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 12, 2013
(0)

This is correct!  I have had numerous "run-ins" with AT&T trying to get an indication of release dates...  In one case, the support tech told me they had no idea when and gave the typical "canned reply" of updates being dictated and controled by the phone vendor and/or Microsoft.  When I replied to that tech saying their responce was neither truthful OR accurate, the ticket got escalated to another rep who infomred me that the update had JUST been released.  I checked my phone and BINGO, there it was.  So if the first tech I spoke to indicated they had no clue, litterally ONE DAY before it went live, then it seems VERY apparent that their responces never have any bearing in reality...  They will always tell you they don't know... RIGHT UP TO the day of release.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 12, 2013
(0)

It appears that they pulled it.  Well, I don't see it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 12, 2013
(0)

OK...  I just sent AT&T my obligatory support question on the release of GDR2 and as predicted, they indicated that the schedule was not know.  Base on whatb I said ^ABOVE^, it stands to reason that the software has either already been released or will be some time before the end of the year :-)  LOL!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 15, 2013
(0)

Don't hold your breath. It's still waiting for approval and with AT&T being silent I take that as meaning they aren't putting much effort into getting it out any time soon.

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-americ...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 15, 2013
(0)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 15, 2013
(0)

"Not too many days from now" left the building last month. AT&T is notorious for foot-dragging.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 15, 2013
(0)

Verizon has released GDR2 and amber for the 928 today.

Nothing from AT&T. Should have left it to Nokia.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 15, 2013
(0)

Just for fun, I contacted customer support, and they said Amber will be available "Late August or early September." When I asked why it's going out all over the world, but not with AT&T, I was told: "The Nokia update must have been provisioned over different broadbands first which is why the other carriers are getting them however you can rest easy that AT&T will not stop until we get it going out over ours."

Really?!? Tanzania was "provisioned" before one of the largest telecom corporations in the world?! Perhaps I don't understand what provisioning means in this case, but I took it to mean "they'll get to it when they get to it."

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 15, 2013
(0)

I don't expect we'll see it now that the 1020 is the latest phone.  Remember how they were going to release ALL of the Windows Phone updates all at once for 7.x and they never did even though they strung us along for many months?  I expect them to sandbag the 920.  We'll probably never see another one.  My Titan II *NEVER* got an update and my TItan never got one past 7740.  I was really hoping it would be better with Nokia devices but AT&T must have gotten their "WE MUST MAKE THEM BUY A NEW DEVICE" attitude in the Nokia doors.

I'm really disappointed that a premiere Windows Phone and Nokia partner would treat customers this way.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 16, 2013
(0)

There is a AT&T customer reporting over  at WP CENTRAL that he got the update yesterday  on his HTC phone

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 16, 2013
(0)

I have noticed that it seems that Verizon always gets updates first on any type smartphone.  When my contract is up I am switching....most of my family has switched already.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 16, 2013
(0)

Nokia released it for rollout TODAY...

However, it's waiting for approval on AT&T.

You can see the status here: http://www.nokia.com/global/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/availability-in-north-americ...

I expect it won't be long now.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 16, 2013
(0)

Yeah, ATT has to remove and add what they want first.  I will not be happy if they remove the FM Radio Support.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 16, 2013
(0)
"Premier" level of support continues from at&t... wish Nokia would wise up and not align itself with the one carrier that always seems to drag out updates to their phones. Verizon 928 already got theirs. why are we always last? why do I keep giving them my money??? sigh...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 16, 2013
(0)

The 920 version was released by Nokia TODAY. The soonest you could have gotten it was TODAY. Let's start the clock at TODAY and see how long it takes.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 16, 2013
(0)
YESTERDAY actually:

http://www.wpcentral.com/gdr2-and-amber-updates-nokia-lumia-920-rolling-out

and other carrier's 920's are receiving it. YESTERDAY.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 16, 2013
(0)

mrpither wrote:
YESTERDAY actually:

http://www.wpcentral.com/gdr2-and-amber-updates-nokia-lumia-920-rolling-out

and other carrier's 920's are receiving it. YESTERDAY.

Oh yes, sorry. Yesterday. So in the USA we are at day 1 of waiting. The availabilty on the 822 on VZ is still pending too, so I guess we can be happy others have to wait as well.

It will get here sooner or later.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 17, 2013
(0)

Here we go again. Waiting for the one underpaid tech in a windowless cubicle to get approval from an uncaring underpaid middle manager to push the button.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 17, 2013
(0)
Come in AT&T! I want my update!