Troubleshoot your device issues
smcb's profile

Scholar

• 

163 Messages

Tuesday, November 4th, 2014 3:57 PM

Softcard & Windows Phone questions

Ok, so the SoftCard app finally got released for windows phone.

I have a Lumia 920 (which has nfc).  The app told me I needed a secure sim, so I ran over to my at&t store and they got a secure sim for me.  Then I stopped by CVS to pick up an Amex Serve card, since that is compatible.

So now I run the softcard app, and during registration, it tells me my phone is not supported, and says to go look at the gosoftcard.com web site to see compatible phones.  There are NO windows phones showing on the site.  Is the app validating against the list on the site?

FYI - my Lumia 920 is the unlocked developer edition (with all the latest updates) that was given out at the Microsoft developer conference two years ago.

So what do I have to do to get this working?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

the ironic thing is you got the serve card at cvs who just started blocking tap n pay.

as for the device I would call customer care as its new so it might be causing the problems

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

Similar story. I have a Lumia 920 (dev preview, totally up to date). I went to ATT to get a secure sim, they seemed to know that those 'secure sims' are for 'NFC mobile payments'...was free. So then i get home, and open the Softcard app...and it says 'to use softcard, your phone needs a different SIM card. We can help you get one. If you say "Ok", it closes the app, if you hit "Get one now"...it takes you to the website...BAH.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

When I look at the notes on the app in the store, I think they get something wrong.

IMPORTANT NOTES

To use Softcard™, you need two things:

▶ A compatible smartphone that uses NFC (near field communication) technology to send payment info at checkout.

▶ An ENHANCED SIM CARD that stores and protects your payment and other sensitive payment information.

I think the problem here is that you don't just need a compatible phone, you need an AT&T-branded phone! I have a Lumia 1520.3 (RM-938), which is very similar to the RM-940's that AT&T sells, except it's cheaper, with double the storage and includes wireless charging. I also can't use the Softcard app. Had they locked it down to AT&T subscribers and not AT&T-branded phones, this should work.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

No, I have an ATT branded Lumia 920, and it doesn't work. It might have something to do with the DEV PREVIEW 8.1...even though it says we have the latest/greatest...we don't really. Things like Miracast support and other features are excluded until a further update in the upcoming weeks/months...even though my phone says i have the CYAN update...behind the scenes, it doesn't really. I think this probably would work for people that meet all the criteria (fancy sim card, att phone, att service, wp 8.1.....but NOT dev preview...anyone confirm?

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

Oh also, i also went into the settings for "nfc"...and turned on 'tap to pay'...figuring that maybe i had to turn that on before the app would even let me open it...but nope.

Scholar

• 

163 Messages

9 years ago

hmm... so maybe if I wipe and re-flash my phone without the developer preview, it might work?  Thats a lot of work for this, but do-able.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Maybe it requires both an AT&T-branded phone and the production version of the OS?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

it does need an att branded phone and just like android you have to be running ATT firmware 

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

Yes, i believe that could be the case...people who opted in for the 'dev preview' might be out of luck for a while. My phone isn't unlocked...and meets all other criteria that i can tell (NFC, wp 8.1, fancy sim, att branded non-unlocked phone,etc,etc....could also just be an app error...wouldn't that be funny.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I have a ATT branded 920 with the current dev. preview 8.1 also.  I got the new payment sim yesterday and made my first purchase at a vending machine today.  I did get a message when setting up SoftCard saying something about the compatibility of the phone and I followed a link to the SoftCard web site where only Android phones were listed.  I just ignored that and continued with the set up.  I used an existing AMEX credit card so I did not need to get the Serve card.  That seems to be the only difference I see between what you are tying to do and what I did.  And I am in the USA but I assume you are too.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.