Posted Oct 5, 2013
Send Text to e-mail address on Nokia Lumia 520 GoPhone

I have just recently switched to AT&T and am a new user on a Windows Phone. I switched services, and purchased this phone, mostly on the basis of discussions I had with two different AT&T salespeople by phone. Both of them assured me that it was possible to send a text message to an e-mail address on a Nokia Lumia 520 phone. In fact, they both said that they had a Lumia on hand and that they were testing it real-time, and that this worked. They also said that sending a text to an e-mail address would not consume the data allotment. I found it a bit surprising that they apparently had an array of phones on hand to check user questions, but if that's true, it's a good thing.

I went ahead and switched plans after many years with a different carrier, and spent good money to buy this phone. And guess what, text to e-mail isn't working for me. I asked for just this one thing, not bells and whistles. Just the ability to send a text to an e-mail address. And it isn't working.

Please advise.

Send Text to e-mail address on Nokia Lumia 520 GoPhone

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 6, 2013
(0)

estherissima wrote:

I have just recently switched to AT&T and am a new user on a Windows Phone. I switched services, and purchased this phone, mostly on the basis of discussions I had with two different AT&T salespeople by phone. Both of them assured me that it was possible to send a text message to an e-mail address on a Nokia Lumia 520 phone. In fact, they both said that they had a Lumia on hand and that they were testing it real-time, and that this worked. They also said that sending a text to an e-mail address would not consume the data allotment. I found it a bit surprising that they apparently had an array of phones on hand to check user questions, but if that's true, it's a good thing.

I went ahead and switched plans after many years with a different carrier, and spent good money to buy this phone. And guess what, text to e-mail isn't working for me. I asked for just this one thing, not bells and whistles. Just the ability to send a text to an e-mail address. And it isn't working.

Please advise.

In Messaging, you want to use SMS to send a message to an email address.

I just tried it, it works for me...

408xxxxxxx@txt.att.net
6:08 AM (0 minutes ago)

to me

Test SMS email

==============================

====================================
This mobile text message is brought to you by AT&T

On the Phone I did this:

Open Messaging

To: foo@gmail.com
Type in your message (put in Test...)

Tapped Send

That was all it took. Seems to work fine. What are you seeing when it isn't working for you? Is it possible you've got a provisioning issue (ie, can you send SMS and MMS messages to other phones?)
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Send Text to e-mail address on Nokia Lumia 520 GoPhone

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 6, 2013
(0)

Hi Johnins! Thanks for your response. I 100% agree with you, it should work. But it's not working. I send the message to an e-mail address in exactly the way you describe, it but never arrives. 

Regular SMS messages to other phones arrive OK.

I'm thinking that maybe I've got a wrong setting somewhere. 

By the way, do I need a WiFi connection in order for this to work? Regular SMS messages to other phones arrive just fine without WiFi being connected.

Re: Send Text to e-mail address on Nokia Lumia 520 GoPhone