Posted Oct 23, 2013
Removing Features on New Phones - Lumia 1520

AT&T is going to carry the new Lumia 1520 that Nokia announced yesterday. Huge screen, 6 inches.

The 1520 will come with wireless charging shell as standard for the rest of the world but not with AT&T. The wireless charging shell will be a separate cost item.

AT&T has decided not to include Qi wireless charging shell as they did with the Lumia 1020.  Is it to reduce cost, reduce weight or keep it thinner?  I don't think so. For something as big as the 1520 it really doesn't matter.  AT&T is supporting the rival wireless charging standard from the Power Matters Alliance (PMA) instead of Qi and its customers.

The customers are getting the raw end of the deal.

See it in the Coming Soon section of phones.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/nokia-lumia-1520.html#fbid=Rk8ysMz7qNO

Removing Features on New Phones - Lumia 1520

[ Edited ]
34 replies
(3) Me too
(3) Me too
Replies
(34)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)

I believe the global version has wireless charging built and the AT&T version has the optional shell.

If you look at the specs on the Nokia product page or the Microsoft Store, it also shows that other specs have been changed from the global version.

Global version to have 32GB internal storage, AT&T 16GB. Those sites also list an AMOLED display versus the LCD display on the global version. Processor speed on the SD800 is also different although that may just be a typo.

I don't understand why AT&T would cannabalize this phone. I was going to pick up a couple of these for my business lines but with the removal of features I'll pass.

Too bad, it looks like a nice device.

Re: Removing Features on New Phones - Lumia 1520

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)

Same here, no way I'll be picking this phone up via ATT.  I'll go with an unlocked version that comes with full specs AND will be updated within a calendar year of worldwide update releases, not to mention including all facets of the updates and not ATT's version of what they think we should have.

It would be fascinating to observe the discussions/thought process behind the "let's take a great product and cripple customize it to better represent the ATT experience". 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)

same here i was saving up for  this phone but att decided to get the watered down version! no built in qi and only 16gb of storage ? with 16 gb of storage and like me with 10 gb of other storage what would 16gb leave me with ......zero

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)
Same feelings here. Why would AT&T take this great product and then drop wireless charging and limit storage capacity?

I currently use a Lumia 920 device and have a lot invested in Qi Wireless Charging. I was planning on upgrading to the 1020 until I saw that they dropped wireless charging on it. Then I was planning on upgrading to the 1520 and now the same thing. What gives? I'm going to have to end up buying an unlocked device.

Nobody wants to have to snap on an extra piece of hardware just to be able to charge the phone wirelessly. It kind of defeats the point. Hopefully enough people will complain and they will reconsider. Would it hurt them to at least offer the option? They could make it optional where you can choose whether you want the built-in Qi Wireless Charging or not.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013
(0)

So sad!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 24, 2013
(0)

I'm another upset AT&T customer. I too was waiting specifically for the Lumia 1520 to use my upgrade! It is a total joke what AT&T has done to this awesome new Nokia phone; No built in Qi charging, only 16Gig of on board storage and an AMOLED screen! The Nokia announcement had the Lumia 1520 with built in Qi charging, 32Gig of on board storage and a beautiful IPS-LCD screen. I will not be upgrading my Lumia 920 to the Lumia 1520! I only wish I had not just upgraded my wife and daughter to the Lumia 1020s and locked us back into a another 2 year agreement!!

Here are a couple articles from Windows Phone Central, the largest Windows Phone community on the planet! Check out all of the comments on both articles. They also have a forum deticated to the 1520 and it also has some post about AT&T crippling the 1520.

http://www.wpcentral.com/att-omits-wireless-charging-nokia-lumia-1520

http://www.wpcentral.com/att-nokia-lumia-1520-have-only-16gb-storage-say-it-aint-so

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 24, 2013
(0)

If att cripples the phone I will not be buying it from them, period.  I would rather pay full price someplace else than let them nickle and the on it

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 25, 2013
(0)

Add me to the not buying this phone. PMA is farking nowhere. and gimping a phone because you're in bed with a standard no one uses is stupid

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 25, 2013
(0)

The wireless chagring/charging shell thing I can get past.  AT&T and Nokia are backing different horses in that race, so at least there's an alternative.

Cutting the memory in half?  That, I will admit, is as stupid, stupid move. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 25, 2013
(0)

UNBELIVABLE! Was so excited during Elop's presentation and was ready to upgrade 3 of 5 lines of my family plan. Instead, will pay off other 2 and switch to T-Mobile with all my unlocked phones and will save $100s. 920s with wireless charging (LOVE IT), 520 and Titan. It's not upgrade anymore for me.. it's a downgrade. The only reason was to stay with AT&T is to get best phones.. WHO MADE THAT STUPID DECICION AT AT&T ???

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 25, 2013
(0)

This is an outrage! Why do you chose to not float Windows Phone which has is the highest rated phone on your online website? So much for wanting to buy a Lumia 1520 from a company like this.This is completely a surprise.

Will you change?

See Lumia 1020 with almost all 5 stars.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 26, 2013
(0)
Yeah was so excited about this phone till as usually att does something stupid. I will either just skip or dig a little deeper and buy the international version. Way to go att, just keep screwing the consumer! I even could have lived with the qi obviously rather have it, but half the memory what are you smoking?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 27, 2013
(0)
Same feelings here! I just wonder for how long at&t will have exclusivity for this phone... 1 month or 6 months?
And I was seriously considering switching to Verizon and getting Lumia 929. If Verizon announces their Lumia 1520 variant - it will be done deal for me!

Somebody makes wrong decisions at at&t! I am so disappointed!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 27, 2013
(0)

This choice between wireless charging standards has nothing to do with what performs best or the costs of implementing the standard. It has everything to do with the commercial possibilities of PMA charging. There is money to be made. This is why AT&T has a dog in this race.
The next version of PMA charging adds what is called a digital layer, providing policy-setting, monitoring, and extensible APIs.. This will enable messages, ads, to be sent to the phone. You see where this could go it they have these set up in airports, stadiums, restaurants, gyms and coffee shops. There is always money in advertising.

Don Mooers, Director of Device Product Marketing at AT&T had this to say in an email response to a Windows Phone Central reader:

"In an effort to move toward making this a reality for consumers worldwide, we’ve placed our support for the public ecosystem roll out led by Power Matters Alliance (PMA). The PMA continues to expand membership and is building a strong ecosystem for wireless charging. The PMA solution is already installed at leading coffee shops, airports, stadiums, restaurants, gyms and more, which enables customers to wirelessly charge their phone while on the go."

Mr Moorers, Nokia made wireless charging a reality for AT&T smartphones in November of 2012 when the Lumia 920 was released, remember?  AT&T has been supporting PMA for how long and I don’t see the reality of PMA charging in the phones offered by AT&T. Support PMA all you want but don’t remove features from phones.

I think my days of two year contracts are over.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2013
(0)

Built in wireless charging might seem like a minor feature but after using it I don't want to have a device without it. I have a 920 and passed on the 1020 because of the lack of wireless charging just as you did. Hate to pass on the 1520 too but they are really gimping this phone.

Edit: Read some articles/posts on WPCentral over the weekend and there are rumors that there may be a 32GB version of the 1520 on AT&T. Someone had also posted a link to Nokia Developer that lists RM-938 which is believed to be a T-Mobile or Rogers version that has the global internals. AT&T version is apparently the RM-940.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2013
(0)

kbilly70 wrote:

Built in wireless charging might seem like a minor feature but after using it I don't want to have a device without it. I have a 920 and passed on the 1020 because of the lack of wireless charging just as you did. Hate to pass on the 1520 too but they are really gimping this phone.

Edit: Read some articles/posts on WPCentral over the weekend and there are rumors that there may be a 32GB version of the 1520 on AT&T. Someone had also posted a link to Nokia Developer that lists RM-938 which is believed to be a T-Mobile or Rogers version that has the global internals. AT&T version is apparently the RM-940.

That is my post. All thought the RM-938 was a global version. When the 1520 was listed on the developer site it came up as a US variant. It still has 32GB memory, Qi wireless charging and the T-Mobile LTE band. We will have to wait and see where it lands.  It may take a while to show up because of AT&T exclusivity.

Wireless charging is better than sliced bread.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 28, 2013
(0)

JohnnyWalkerBlue wrote:

kbilly70 wrote:

That is my post. All thought the RM-938 was a global version. When the 1520 was listed on the developer site it came up as a US variant. It still has 32GB memory, Qi wireless charging and the T-Mobile LTE band. We will have to wait and see where it lands.  It may take a while to show up because of AT&T exclusivity.

Wireless charging is better than sliced bread.

Ah, didn't realize that was you! Thanks for the heads up. I agree about the wireless. We have a number of 920s for our business with the charging plates and are spoiled now. It's nice to just walk into your office and plop it down on the plate. As I said above, was really excited to get some 1520s for the increased screen real estate but with the changes I'm just going to have to pass. Maybe we'll get a global variant.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 30, 2013
(0)
I guess I'll stick with my 920 for a lil bit longer...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 31, 2013
(0)

Editorial about the changes AT&T is making to the 1520. Pretty good read.

http://pocketnow.com/2013/10/25/lumia-1520-wireless-charging-disaster

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 31, 2013
(0)
Creep! Noway I gonna buy this phone! I will wait for international unlocked or Verizon version of 1520 to come out. Whichever comes first gets my money!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 4, 2013
(0)

Charging on the go represents a major convenience for consumers and with new wireless charging standards and participating device and service providers, it's becoming a reality. We fully support the concept of an industry standard for wireless power and believe it has to expand beyond the home and office.  

In an effort to move toward making this a reality for consumers worldwide, we've placed our support for the public ecosystem roll out led by Power Matters Alliance (PMA). The PMA continues to expand membership and is building a strong ecosystem for wireless charging. The PMA solution is already installed at leading coffee shops, airports, stadiums, restaurants, gyms and more, which enables customers to wirelessly charge their phone while on the go.  

Creating an effortless user experience for consumers is a high priority for us and it means ensuring every detail of compatibility has been well thought out and tested before products are made available.  We've asked our device suppliers to embed PMA certified wireless charging capability into their devices beginning in 2014.   In the interim, we are working with our accessory partners to develop solutions as quickly as possible.

Today, our customers are already enjoying PMA accessories for several devices in our portfolio.  The Nokia Lumia 1520 will support the PMA standard via a wireless charging accessory available around launch time.

Community Manager

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 4, 2013
(0)

What about shrinking original storage by half? You didn't mention that part.

QI was perfectly fine on Lumia 920! Using every day. What are we going to do with all pads that we purchased less than 1 year ago?

"Rethink Possible"??  It's so shame that AT$T's rethink hits their costomers...

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 6, 2013
(0)

"Charging on the go represents a major convenience for consumers and with new wireless charging standards and participating device and service providers, it's becoming a reality. We fully support the concept of an industry standard for wireless power and believe it has to expand beyond the home and office.  

In an effort to move toward making this a reality for consumers worldwide, we've placed our support for the public ecosystem roll out led by Power Matters Alliance (PMA). The PMA continues to expand membership and is building a strong ecosystem for wireless charging. The PMA solution is already installed at leading coffee shops, airports, stadiums, restaurants, gyms and more, which enables customers to wirelessly charge their phone while on the go.  

Creating an effortless user experience for consumers is a high priority for us and it means ensuring every detail of compatibility has been well thought out and tested before products are made available.  We've asked our device suppliers to embed PMA certified wireless charging capability into their devices beginning in 2014.   In the interim, we are working with our accessory partners to develop solutions as quickly as possible.

Today, our customers are already enjoying PMA accessories for several devices in our portfolio.  The Nokia Lumia 1520 will support the PMA standard via a wireless charging accessory available around launch time."

Nice copy-and-paste job.  Two problems though:

First, you didn't address the 16GB memory, cutting in half what every other carrier in the world is offering.  When will that be mentioned?

Second, you backed the wrong horse with the PMA thing, especially since you've already been selling Qi-charging phones AND chargers!  By the way, nobody wants to put a 'wireless charging accessory' on their phones.  Ditch the whole 'charging shell' idea and use the built-in wireless charging that comes from Nokia!

If you can't work with your handset manufacturers, get out of your contract and let Verizon get the 'exclusive' phones.  We're tired of you gutting these great handsets!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 6, 2013
(0)
Same with me. I am a Verizon customer with contract up 12/15/13. Was going to switch to AT&T for Nokia 1520 and now I find that AT&T has dumbed down the specs of a great phone. What a disappointment. I had considered the Nokia 929 that Verizon will offer as a far inferior device but now I will be reconsidering. I also wanted the YELLOW color and initially the AT&T web site was showing only white, red, & black although the Nokia site while bragging the phone was coming to AT&T prominently featured YELLOW. Basically this whole thing is a debacle and greatly detracts from trust in Microsoft, Nokia, and AT&T. Perhaps it will be reason enough to continue on as an Android user on Verizon rather than switching to Windows Phone on AT&T.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 6, 2013
(0)
When cool Japanese cars get imported to the states they get watered down. When the Lumia 1520 comes to the states AT&T waters the device down. AT&T = Altering Technology & Torture

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 8, 2013
(0)

Hello everyone, here is an official announcement:

Introducing the New Nokia Lumia 1520!

And some awesome news, it'll be available in both 16GB and 32GB versions, plus it's expendable with a microSD card slot that supports up to 64GB cards and Free 50GB Cloud storage.

It'll be available in Matte Black, White, Yellow, and Glossy Red colors.

Dmitriy

Community Manager

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution".

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 8, 2013
(0)

Why would ATT cripple such a great phone????  WHY????

It is not fair to us loyal paying customers; international version is much better and unrestricted, even if it costs more, I am sure people would be willing to pay $100 dollars more to get it.

Specs wise the 1520 could have been their best phone in their inventory, instead they choose to heavily promote the heck out of  outdated Crapple phones!

ATT is not even promoting this phone on their website, the only way to know about it is if you look for it.

Nokia makes terrific phones and ATT simply disrespect them.

Time to start looking for the international version and ditch ATT!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 8, 2013
(0)

For how long Nokia Lumia 1520 will be AT&T exclusive?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 9, 2013
(0)

Usually this period is six months. I haven't been able to find out for sure if this is any different.