Posted Jan 21, 2013
Nokia Lumia 920 goes black, unresponsive to button presses.

My Nokia Lumia has "gone black" as though I turned it off and is unresponsive to power button presses.

I got mine December 27th, new. Four days later it did this when I plugged in the charger. I called AT&T Tech Support and they had me press and hold teh down volume, then press and hold the power button for 10 seconds. Then they had me press the up & down volume button simultaneously. It started back up. They said if it happened again I could go to the AT&T store and get it replaced.

It did it again last week, without plugging in the charger.

It happened again last night, so the alarm did not wake me (I am on a business trip). I called back Tech Support tonight at 10:30PM PST and spoke with Amanda. She informed me that the 30-day customer satisfaction guarantee had been shortened to 14 days as of October 17th, 2012. She told me I must call the Warranty Department after 8:00AM EST at (800) 801-1101 and they would replace the device with a NEW one. We shall see.

In the interim, I will visit Nokia's web site and see what they have to say.

Nokia Lumia 920 goes black, unresponsive to button presses.

11 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 22, 2013
(0)

It sounds like an exchange is called for. If there is a hardware issue with the device, that's the fix.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Nokia Lumia 920 goes black, unresponsive to button presses.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 22, 2013
(0)

Well. I pay $100 and sign on for a 24 month contract to pay for a NEW phone, it lasts me 26 days, AT&T will replace the faulty phone with a REFURBISHED phone... Nice... I can just feel my customer satisfaction and customer loyalty ebbing away. Thank you, AT&T.

It would seem that is a breach of contract. I contracted for a new phone, I get a refurbished phone rather than a replacment new phone.

ANALogy... "Oh, your new car broke down? Here, let us replace it with a used one someone traded in."

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 23, 2013
(0)

Same thing Apple does.

Refurbished phones are just as used as the phone you are exchanging them for, except they are working.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 28, 2013
(0)

Make sure you have the "Portico" update installed to fix this issue.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 30, 2013
(0)

Try  a soft reset by pressing voume down and power at that same time.  I had this happen when I was in an AT&T store and the guy did this to bring the device back.  No data was lost in the process.

More info: http://ukmobilereview.com/en/manufacturers/m-nokia/how-to-hard-reset-the-nokia-lumia-920-and-lumia-8...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 31, 2013
(0)

I am having a similar problem, or maybe it's the same. I'll be on a call, finish the call, take the phone away from my face, and it stays black. It should go back to the screen with the option of "end call." Nothing. Black. Won't even respond to the unlock/power button. I have to just let the phone sit like that until it decides it's going to unfreeze. Sometimes the unlock button will blink the screen for a fraction of a second, then it will go black and freeze again. This is not happening with regularity, so how do I trouble-shoot it or try to show someone? I called ATT the other day, and at the beginning of the call when I am supposed to choose english or spanish, I couldn't even do that because as soon as I took the phone away from my face, sure enough, it was frozen! In the meantime, I could hear the computer on the other end asking me to make a selection. After a little while of fighting with the unlock button and having it blink at me, the computer on the other end finally ended the call. I've had this phone since Jan 13 and it has been doing this sporadically. Love this phone when it's working properly, but this is ridiculous and should not be happening!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 2, 2013
(0)

downeyfam wrote:

I am having a similar problem, or maybe it's the same. I'll be on a call, finish the call, take the phone away from my face, and it stays black.

This is the proximity sensor problem. It can be caused by

- screen protector

- dirt/smudge over the N in Nokia on the front glass

- dust under front glass (you will see dust inside the front facing camera)

- software issue.

Try:

removing screen protectors

cleaning glass

soft reset (just hold power down until slide to power off... power off... power on.)

Mine did this intermittently for several months. Now it does it always. I'm bringing it in to an AT&T store today to see if they'll swap it - my front facing camera won't even start anymore.

Love the 920. Wish the quality control was a tad higher.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 2, 2013
(0)

I went by the AT&T device/service center this morning for mine, and after a quick check I'll be getting a refurb exchange (mine is a couple months old, got it on launch day.)

Very hopeful the refurb addresses this issue, because it's not very usable when it does this! Will be nice to get a front facing camera again, too.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 2, 2013
(0)

Nokia Lumia 920 started going black two after I bought it.  I exchanged it, now the second one is doing the same thing.  They will only give a refurbished one.  I asked if they knew anything about this problem, they said they had not heard of it.  After seeing all the posts of the same problem, I think I was lied to.  As soon as I make a call or someone calls me and I answer it the screen goes blank and the phone is unresponsive.  It only comes alive when the call is dropped or hung up on from the other end.  Everything else seems fine.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 2, 2013
(0)

All you can do is try cleaning the screen... if that doesn't help, try power off/on. If that doesn't help, the sensor is failing.

Refurbs are fine, don't fear the refurb.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 12, 2014
(0)

Had the same kind of problem and it was driving me crazy as it just seemed to happen overnight, and then sometimes it would be OK.  Since finding this post, taking the phone out of the otter box, cleaning everything and putting it back I haven't had the problem again. Goiing on 2 days.  While I'm holding my breath a bit it seems like it was that easy.