Posted Feb 27, 2013
9:15:14 PM
Nokia 920 Battery Drain

I've been having a devil of time with my Nokia 920 lately.  I've had one since the end of November and it generally has worked well.  I had to replace the original unit about six weeks ago with a new one after my original one never came out of a hard reset.

What's been happening lately is that something is draining the battery like crazy.  If I take it off the charger and start using it for 20-30 minutes in the morning for web browseing, it'll drop from 100% charge to about 90%.  If I don't have it on the charger by noon, with perhaps five hours of use, it'll drain to dead.  Use seems to make litte difference.  I installed Battery Level for WP8 and the graph shows the same, even, precipitous decline even when the phone is sitting on my desk with the screen off.

I've tried everything recommended to reduce this, from turning off Bluetooth and NFC, changing the screen sensitivity and brightness, etc.  The decline is about the same no matter what I do.  I've deleted some apps that have been indicated as battery drains (Angry Birds, Facebook).  Nokia maps and Drive are shut off in the background. 

I strongly suspect that some app is running the battery down, but I can't figure out which one it is.  I have a hard time beleiving that this is a phone issue (unless something has failed) because my first 920 didn't do this at all, and the replacement unit didn't start doing this for at least a couple weeks.

Can anyone give me any advice, or is there a list of known problem apps that might be responsible?  Or is there some app that'll show me what's accessing data or processing, and to what degree?

Nokia 920 Battery Drain

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 28, 2013 5:55:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Have you powered off/powered on the phone?

What's your signal like?

What apps are running in the background when you go to settings/applications?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Nokia 920 Battery Drain

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 28, 2013 6:41:33 AM
(0)
Tutor
I have powered the phone off several time, allowed the battery to drain and recharge on two consecutive nights and done a few soft resets. My signal is all over the map. My office is on the edge of LTE service, which I sometimes get walking to lunch, but normally in on 4G. I have WI-FI at home and the office that I use.

Backgrounds apps that I allow are just the battery level for WP 8 and The Weather Channel. I discovered City Lens running last night but I don't use that term be much and I think t only turned n after the most recent update a few days ag.

I tried chatting with a tech support person last night and they suggested a hard reset, which I'm really not wanting to do. The last time did that, it bricked my phone.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 8, 2013 3:18:00 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have noticed similar scenario with my 920. In December I did all the things to increase battery life:

- turn off NFC

- turn off GPS

- turn off bluetooth

- turn off wi-fi unless I'm actively using it

- set display sensitivity to Normal

- block all background tasks

- let my phone completely discharge then charge it full twice in a row

After that I could get around 48 hours of use without having to re-charge. I have had to power cycle the phone to shut off the GPS and get the map programs to shut off.

In the past month I have noticed that every time I update existing applications on the phone the battery life gets shorter to the point that it lasts less than 24 hours. It used to be that the battery would not go down more than one or 2 percent overnight but now it's draining rapidly when I'm not even using the phone, at least 4% per hour.

I suspect issues with the Apps, like the new versions of the Nokia apps, that are consuming power in the background even though they are set to "blocked" in the background tasks area.

Anyone else have any ideas which apps we shouldn't install that suck the battery life away?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 15, 2013 6:25:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

Next time the battery level seems to have dropped rapidly, power cycle the phone. By that I mean powering off then back on after a minute or so. What I have found is the battery level monitor is wildly inaccurate. Once my battery was so low it powered itself off (it was down to around 5%). I plugged it in and within 5 minutes it showed 90%. These batteries cannot charge that fast, so I've experimented. After using the phone for a couple of hours off charger, I power cycle it and check the level after restarting. I've seen it jump from 60% to over 90% doing this, and then the battery life seems to track accurately (until the next charge cycle).

Something in the Nokia isn't monitoring the battery accurately.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 6, 2013 4:35:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have to say that I tried everything and it didn't work either. My final effort was to turn off the location in my settings. No kidding my battery life climbed to where I could use it and still keep the battery life long. In fact, I even was able to go a whole day with a lot of use and keep my battery from needing to be charged until the following day. The other day I needed to use it for a google map moment and I just turned it on while I needed and made sure to turn it off when I was done. I wouldn't doubt that this setting is why everyone has trouble with the battery drain issue!

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 7, 2013 5:44:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

naturewood2002 wrote:

I have to say that I tried everything and it didn't work either. My final effort was to turn off the location in my settings. No kidding my battery life climbed to where I could use it and still keep the battery life long. In fact, I even was able to go a whole day with a lot of use and keep my battery from needing to be charged until the following day. The other day I needed to use it for a google map moment and I just turned it on while I needed and made sure to turn it off when I was done. I wouldn't doubt that this setting is why everyone has trouble with the battery drain issue!

It can, sometimes, be the issue. But for some users, having location enabled doesn't hurt batter life at all. The 920 is so variable in battery life, it's nearly impossible to pin bad (or good) life on any one thing.

Here's an example. In my normal "home" areas (work and home) I have excellent battery life. In LA, Excellent. In San Diego, bad drain. In Redmond (I kid you not) bad drain. In Washington DC, ok but a little more drain than home.

Why? Beats me. I have varying signal coverage in these places, and I likely use a different mix of apps when traveling for work or for pleasure.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 13, 2013 10:33:52 PM
(0)
Mentor

I have seen this problem too on my 920.  Usually the phone gets super hot too while the battery is draining.

While I agree with johninsj that it could be a multiude of things causing the issue in your case, in my case, I have found that it is typically apps that utilizing location services (you know if there is a "bullseye" on your status bar) that cause the battery to drain.  This happens to me even if the problem apps are suspended in the background.

Examples:

--> GasBuddy

--> Bing Search

Many games (esp. video and CPU intensive ones) also tend to murder your battery.  But that is more expected, so I don't see that as much of a problem.

Things I have tried which don't seem to make much difference one way or another:

--> Music streaming

--> Turning bluetooth on/off

What I do to minimize this from happening:

1.  Make sure all nonessential apps are closed and not simply suspended (i.e., hit back button instead of just hitting home key).  This is double true if the app utilizes location.

2.  If problem persists (sometimes it does), restart the phone (or even soft boot it).  I find that that usually does the trick.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 17, 2013 4:26:02 PM
(0)
Contributor
My 920 is horrible. I hate this phone. And ATT still won't let me get another one. The battery sucks and this is 3rd phone they have given me and its no better. What should I do?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 18, 2013 5:20:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Sammyy013 wrote:
My 920 is horrible. I hate this phone. And ATT still won't let me get another one. The battery sucks and this is 3rd phone they have given me and its no better. What should I do?

You will have to learn how to disable some apps from running in the background. Typically those (and navigation apps that leave the GPS on) will cause unexpected/undesirable battery drain.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 19, 2013 11:05:20 AM
(0)
Teacher

To disable background tasks for specific apps go to Settings, swipe left to get to Applications, and tap Background Tasks. Not all apps will allow you to disable backround tasks, and you shouldn't disable background tasks for apps that you want to update live tiles or the lock screen.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013 6:23:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

SOLVED

I have the Nokia Lumia 920 from AT&T. I had the battery drain problem every single day at work till one fine day I figured it out. I simply had to switch from 4g to 2g (edge) and I get amazing battery life (100% to 92% in 12 hours).

To do this (only for Nokia Lumia 920 At&t):

1) Open keypad and hit ##3282# 

2) Hit accept

3) DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ..... you will see three dots at the bottom, hit that and then hit settings

4) choose Network Type as '2G'

5) Press back buttons and exit