Posted Nov 7, 2012
Lumia Wireless Charging Plate - AT&T Wont Honor Offer

Today I placed my online preorder for the Nokia Lumia 920 w/ free black wireless charging plate. I placed the order signed into my account, the offer was present on the screen in the cart and I followed the instructions for the offer (add the black charging plate to the cart, basically.)

Yet, AT&T still charged me for the plate ($49) I've spoken to about four phone reps about this, and each time they give me the same explanation. I'm paraphasing:

AT&T: 'We received an update in our system this morning that the free charging plate offer is not available until November 9, therefore, you will be charged the $49"

Me: "But when I placed my order online, and even right now, you website is advertising the offer as available NOW. I am reading the full terms and conditions, and nowhere does it say it doesn't start until November 9. I am signed in, and in smartphone purchase list, the offer is there on the Nokia Lumia 920. I can send you a screenshot."

AT&T: "We can only go by the offers we see internally. Because the offer isn't available until November 9, you will be charged."

Me: "I appreciate and understand that you may not see the offer internally. But you are advertising it, live, right now, as being available, online and you did to me when I ordered. You cannot really advertise a price to the public and then charge them something else. You need to honor the price and credit me the $49."

AT&T: "We can only go by the offers we see internally. Because the offer isn't available until November 9, you will be charged."

I've read online people saying they heard from reps the offer is now sold out, but I haven't seen one person say reps told them the offer will be available November 9. I'm wondering if the reps I spoke to were confused by the preorder and the availability date of the phone itself (November 9), but none would listen to that and all four said the same thing.

Here's my screenshot.screenshot-smaller.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
11-8-2012 8:53:01 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey Joeonsunset, 

I'm sorry that you weren't able to see the wireless charging plate when you ordered your 920.

Everyone who pre-ordered the Nokia Lumia 920 will receive a free Nokia wireless charging plate and it will be sent in a separate shipment. You'll get an email with delivery details so keep an eye out for that!

68 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(68)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 12, 2012
(0)
Professor

Att is direct fulfilling these. It says as much on the store page.

It looks like this is a case of the accessories simply not being ready for the roll out. I actually prefer this to delaying the roll out.

Re: Free wireless charging plate offer?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 12, 2012
(0)
Tutor

After much frustration online and on the phone (the phone rep wanted to charge me $199 for the 920), I just picked up my butt and walked into the store and surprise... They are sold out...all colors. Tried another store. Same story. But the Store manager did this for me. I love it.

Nokia920Order.PNG

Nokia920Chargerplate.PNG

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 12, 2012
(0)
Contributor

Nice. Maybe I should just walk into a store and see if they'll do the same.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 13, 2012
(0)
Explorer

teylos wrote:

Is this offer still available with the Lumia 920 or not? When I go to upgrade the devices on my account, it says it is, and prompts me to choose a wireless charging plate. However, all the charging plates listed are "out of stock" and cannot be selected.

Should I wait until these are back in stock, or is the offer over?

I plan to purchase a 920 next week.. If AT&T isnt offering wireless chargers anymore, i will upgrade through walmart which is 49.99 without charger

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 13, 2012
(0)
ACE - Professor

My wireless charger arrived yesterday (phone came in on 9th, preordered on 7th)

Looks like these are finally going out. It's a cute little thing.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 13, 2012
(0)
ACE - Professor

My wireless charger arrived yesterday (phone came in on 9th, preordered on 7th)

Looks like these are finally going out. It's a cute little thing.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Lumia Wireless Charging Plate - AT&T Wont Honor Offer

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 13, 2012
(0)
Contributor

Well the good news is that as of right now, you can once again add the free charging plate to your order on the web site. So, I just upgraded two of our lines to Lumia 920's. :smileyhappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 13, 2012
(0)
Teacher

I ordered mine over the phone through customer service and they said I couldn't get the wireless charger for free :smileysad:  I tried to do the upgrade online and it kept adding the phone at full price and no one could figure it out. A customer service manager had to process the order for me but he said he couldnt add the wireless charger for me.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 13, 2012
(0)
Tutor

I ordered my 920 on the 10th online, and the charging plate was showing as out of stock on the website, so I couldn't add it to my cart. The fine print on the offer said it was good until January, I think, but that it had to be added to your shopping cart at the time of the order. I called customer service before I placed the order and the rep added a note to my account. He seemed to think this would trigger a shipment when they were in stock. We'll see about that. If nothing else, as long as it was noted that I tried to order it I should have a leg to stand on when it comes time to argue for my charging plate. 

This has been a frustrating phone buying experience, but I've never been an early adopter of anything so maybe I'm just spoiled.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 13, 2012
(0)
Professor

I purchased my Lumia 920 on Friday the 9th from a B&M att wireless store. They did not have the Qi chargers in stock and the reps knew nothing about the deal. I pulled up the att notice on my 900 and the manager called att and received authorization to direct ship the items to us. My Qi wireless charger arrived today UPS priority mail.

Not bad att. I think that they just did not have the accessories ready and they wanted to roll out the 920's.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 13, 2012
(0)
Professor

I purchased my Lumia 920 on Friday the 9th from a B&M att wireless store. They did not have the Qi chargers in stock and the reps knew nothing about the deal. I pulled up the att notice on my 900 and the manager called att and received authorization to direct ship the items to us. My Qi wireless charger arrived today UPS priority mail.

Not bad att. I think that they just did not have the accessories ready and they wanted to roll out the 920's.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 15, 2012
(0)
Mentor

Well I talked to a CS agent about it today and it certainly felt unhelpful.  They said "You are certainly eligible for the charger.." but then proceeded to tell me to check the AT&T web site for an announcement?  Really, this is not a way to endear those who preordered to your company.  I am rather put off by the whole thing.  

Rather, they should simply say, we have backordered your wireless chargers for you.  They will be shipped as soon as possible.  

What ever happened with attempting to keep your end of the bargain and not make me regret that I ever did business with you?  Come on AT&T!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 16, 2012
(0)
Tutor

So what do we do if we purchased at an AT&T store and they were out of stock? They are still out of stock now, and I never got any email about a free charger.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 16, 2012
(0)
Voyager

I also had preordered two Lumia 920s (black & cyan) and was under the impression that they would just be shipped out with the order. A couple of days later they included the popup on the site to add the charger, but it wasn't there when I ordered our two phones. When they didn't arrive with the phones, I called Premiere Order Support on Nov. 12 and was told that two would be shipped out via two-day shipping. That was the last I heard; no email confirmation, nothing. So I call again today (Nov. 16) and was told the promotion was "while supplies last" which isn't true as the Premiere website still states that the offer "runs through January 10, 2013". I assumed the rep from the 12th would put a note on my account about the charging plates, but apparently didn't. This has been incredibly frustrating, especially as I had just ported over our numbers from Verizon to get the Lumia 920s...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 16, 2012
(0)
Teacher

I'm in same boat its been a week and local ATT store just says its on order since last Friday.

Not to happy about how this charger promotion has been mis handled by ATT

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 19, 2012
(0)
Voyager

I preordered two lumia 920 and I was able to to able to add the wireless charger to my order . I recieved  one phone on Nov 10th, and then the other phone on the 15th. However there is still no word/update on wireless charging plate.  Support has not been very helpful.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 26, 2012
(0)
Contributor

I purchased my phone on November 9 in a Brick & Mortar store, and they told me I should visit http://nokiafreecharger.com/ to get my charger.  However now that this site is up, it appears to only be for UK residents.  Who do I speak with to get a charger sent to me?

Thanks.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 26, 2012
(0)
Scholar

SoylentRed wrote:

So what do we do if we purchased at an AT&T store and they were out of stock? They are still out of stock now, and I never got any email about a free charger.

I was told we are out of luck if the plates were no plates left in the store.  I went in hearing the rumor of the $49 Lumia 920 and free charger.  I left paying $99 and didn't get a charger plate either.  Such is doing business with AT&T :smileyhappy:.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 27, 2012
(0)
Teacher

Pre-ordered my Lumia 920 on the 7th.  Got the mess of the not seeing the charging plate to add to the cart but was assured that I will get one from another post on this forum before.

So I'm just curious who and how many people has actually received their wireless charging plate that was pre-ordered before the 11/8-11/9 time frame?

Wireless Charging Plate - anyone who pre-order before the 8th got them?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 27, 2012
(0)
ACE - Professor

ordered on 11/07 - charge plate was included on order, arrived day after phone.

Re: Wireless Charging Plate - anyone who pre-order before the 8th got them?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 27, 2012
(0)
Teacher
The mess continues it seems that these wireless charging plates are back ordered and although I pre-ordered mine on the 7th and have since received my phone I still do not have the charging plate yet while there seems to be plenty of other people who has ordered after me and has gotten theirs already.

Talked to Customer Service rep and all they can say is that they are back ordered and have absolutely no visibility at all to when they might gets in and get shipped out at all.

The amazing failing machine that is ATT continues to amaze me.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 27, 2012
(0)
Teacher
Thanks for your quick response.

The mess continues it seems that although I pre-ordered mine on the 7th and have since received my phone I still do not have the charging plate yet while there seems to be plenty of other people who has ordered after me and has gotten theirs already.

Talked to Customer Service rep and all they can say is that they are back ordered and have absolutely no visibility at all to when they might gets in and get shipped out at all.

The amazing failing machine that is ATT continues to amaze me.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 27, 2012
(0)
ACE - Professor

They are back ordered. AT&T doesn't make them, Nokia does. Seems like a Nokia fail to me.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 27, 2012
(0)
Teacher
Not sure how you arrived at the complete lack of information or knowlegde into their own supply chain on ATT part to be purely a problem with Nokia. For sure, Nokia probably under estimated the number of pre-ordered along with ATT but from the start, the whole lack of knowledge and not knowing or the pre-order process that I have experienced along with many others has been a complete disasterous imo.

Especially given that I had pre-ordered my phone on the 7th but have yet to receive my wireless charging plate while many others who ordered theirs after the 7th has already received theirs is just beyond understanding at all. And when asked, they have absolutely no idea what kind of estimate or time table as to when they would even receive any more wireless plate is just not acceptable to me.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 27, 2012
(0)
ACE - Professor
They don't know. They told you they don't know. It is what it is. I'm sure unless Nokia goes out of business, they'll get more charging plates eventually.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 27, 2012
(0)
Contributor

Same thing here.

I just got off the line with support and he did not know anything about this either. He tried transferring me to "someone who could over ride the charges" including tax and send one out for free... Problem was I was transferred to an unmonitored voice mail that asked me to call back tomorrow between 8 and 8.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 27, 2012
(0)
Tutor
I tend to agree that att is just as much at fault. The answer I got from customer service didn't even make sense. The rep told me "I see a note here saying you're eligible for the free charging plate but I do not see it on the order". Whenever I asked for any insight as to what that meant (will it be added to the order, will an additional order be created, will I be notified, etc) all she did was repeat that first line like a robot. Total lack of knowledge of the situation. Att really dropped the ball on this one and customer services ridiculous handling of this has me tempted to return my phone if I don't receive a charging plate.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 28, 2012
(0)
Teacher

offbeatbop wrote:
I tend to agree that att is just as much at fault. The answer I got from customer service didn't even make sense. The rep told me "I see a note here saying you're eligible for the free charging plate but I do not see it on the order". Whenever I asked for any insight as to what that meant (will it be added to the order, will an additional order be created, will I be notified, etc) all she did was repeat that first line like a robot. Total lack of knowledge of the situation. Att really dropped the ball on this one and customer services ridiculous handling of this has me tempted to return my phone if I don't receive a charging plate.

That's exactly how I felt.  I just dont understands in today's time where supply chain management is the key to any retailer's success or failure that as big as ATT is, they would lack the insight into what their very only EXCLUSIVE phone supply line looks like at all.  And rep that not only doesn't know any information but also lack the knowledge of WHO I can talk to to try to even escalate the issue is beyond crazy to me.  It's also very distrubing to me when I asked how would I know if it's even ship out to me or not and the answer is 'when you received it'.  I just dont understands how ATT can continue to operate like this at all.  I could understands if they can at least tell me any estimates, things like "we're 2k units back ordered and yours is after that 2k units' and they're getting about 200 in a day.  Just amazing that they cannot even give me information such as this at all.  Maybe ATT really need to beef up their supply chain management and give their rep some visibility into some of these info so that they can related them back to the customers.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 28, 2012
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey all, 

I'm sorry that some of you haven't received your charging plates yet. I know there have been several points of frustration here. 

Due to the overwhelming demand for this promotion we currently have the Nokia Charging Plate accessory on backorder.  We will fulfill your order once we have re-stocked this accessory. In the meantime, please feel free to check the status of this order online using the Premier online portal.  

I'm not a supply chain expert so I can't speak to why some folks have received them and others haven't. I can make sure that the right folks see this thread and your frustration. Thank you for all the feedback, it is important. 

I sincerely appreciate your patience while we work with Nokia to fulfill all the orders. 

~jam

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 28, 2012
(0)
Teacher

jamileh wrote:

Hey all, 

I'm sorry that some of you haven't received your charging plates yet. I know there have been several points of frustration here. 

Due to the overwhelming demand for this promotion we currently have the Nokia Charging Plate accessory on backorder.  We will fulfill your order once we have re-stocked this accessory. In the meantime, please feel free to check the status of this order online using the Premier online portal.  

I'm not a supply chain expert so I can't speak to why some folks have received them and others haven't. I can make sure that the right folks see this thread and your frustration. Thank you for all the feedback, it is important. 

I sincerely appreciate your patience while we work with Nokia to fulfill all the orders. 

~jam

Thanks.

However, my problem is that when I made my pre-order on the 7th, there's no wireless charger to be added to my cart at all.  I did not get that option but after talking to numerous rep both online and offline on the phone I was assured that I will get a charger plate.  And I also did receive an email that stated it will be ship out separately.  So there's no way I can even check the status of my 'order' since my 'order' does not have the plate in it at all.  And hence why the extreme frustration as to how we would know what the status of the plate at all.