Troubleshoot your device issues
DeeFlorida's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, August 28th, 2014 11:05 PM

How do I uninstall 8.1 and roll back to 8.0

I don't want to use the new update.   I won't share my passwords as they request and don't have the pop and other info to set up my email accounts manually.

I downloaded and installed the system recovery tool, ran it and when my phone restarted it still had 8.1 on it.  Also tried resetting to factory settings and it's still at 8.1

So how do I get rid of 8.1?

If I can't get rid of it, I am going to let my Go Phone expire and buy a Google Android phone at Verizon as I am really upset with the new changes.  I don't want ANY of the new improved features and was perfectly happy with the way the old software worked.  I am so sorry I ever updated it.

Please help me get 8.0 back....

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

There are things that I don't care for about 8.1 as well - not to the point that I want to uninstall it, but I HATED Cortana with a passion and so I turned it off.  I don't need my phone to be that involved in my life. 😄

I didn't have to set my e-mail accounts back up manually - the e-mail accounts that had been set up on the phone prior to the update did simply carry forward with no manual setup needed.  However to your point about the passwords, it does ask me frequently to input the password to my primary e-mail account (yahoo/sbcglobal) - but I don't really view that as being any different than being asked to sign back in to my e-mail account after it's been open and idle on my computer for an extended period of time.  Are these the requests for your password that you are referring to?

It also asks for the password to my Windows Live (or something along those lines) e-mail address a lot, and while I recall setting Windows Live up when I first received my phone (under 8.0), I have no idea what it is at this point (I don't use that e-mail address for anything - lol).  That is one thing that I'll say about using a Windows based phone (compared to my prior phones) that is a complete nuisance - the constant requests for whether you want to allow your location to be shared in every single application, and the assumption that you *want* to share data across devices and information with others.  I don't.  What's on my phone is on my phone, and I have no desire for it to be in the cloud/shared with my PC/or visible to anyone else.  And it seems very difficult to achieve that level of relative "privacy" in today's world of cell phones. 😞

Other than all that though - I do generally really like my Nokia 520 and the 8.1 update did add some nice features too. 🙂

@DeeFlorida wrote:

I don't want to use the new update.   I won't share my passwords as they request and don't have the pop and other info to set up my email accounts manually.

I downloaded and installed the system recovery tool, ran it and when my phone restarted it still had 8.1 on it.  Also tried resetting to factory settings and it's still at 8.1

So how do I get rid of 8.1?

If I can't get rid of it, I am going to let my Go Phone expire and buy a Google Android phone at Verizon as I am really upset with the new changes.  I don't want ANY of the new improved features and was perfectly happy with the way the old software worked.  I am so sorry I ever updated it.

Please help me get 8.0 back....

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

Generally speaking, you won't be able to roll back a windows phone update. As the poster above you suggests, you should be able to turn off, disable, or simply ignore most of the new features you don't like.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.