Posted Aug 1, 2009
Does the Jack replace the Epix?
I stopped by an ATT store the other day looking to possibly pick up an Epix. They informed me that the Epix was no longer available as it had been replaced by the Jack. I was kind of surprised, as it seems the Jack is a step down in features (touchscreen, mouse pad, etc.). Is this accurate? Does that make the Fuze (too expensive for my budget) my only choice for a Windows phone with a keyboard and a touchscreen?
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
8-1-2009 7:33:40 AM
(0)
Master
You're correct. Jack replaces BlackJack2, not Epix. However, I don't know why you want an Epix with mountains of issues related to it? Did you ever real those Epix thread here?
Message Edited by foxbat121 on 08-01-2009 10:34:05 AM
Accepted Solution

Does the Jack replace the Epix?

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Aug 1, 2009
(0)
Master
You're correct. Jack replaces BlackJack2, not Epix. However, I don't know why you want an Epix with mountains of issues related to it? Did you ever real those Epix thread here?
Message Edited by foxbat121 on 08-01-2009 10:34:05 AM

Re: Does the Jack replace the Epix?

[ Edited ]
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 1, 2009
(0)
Scholar
 It bothers me when sales people make stuff up... The Jack is basically a BlackJack III, there is a replacement for the Epix comming, and it was posted here a few weeks ago, by Gandolf I believe. But I would wait a few moths after it comes out, to see if it has the same issues the Epix did.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 1, 2009
(0)
Mentor

Thank you both for the replies! I've read of some of the Epix issues elsewhere, none of which seem like they would be a big deal for me. I think I'lll go read through some of the threads here, and also see if I can find that info about forthcoming new version.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 2, 2009
(0)
Scholar
 As a former Epix owner, I would advise anyone to STAY AWAY from this pig of a phone. The ID1 update fixed a few things, but made my phone unusable, with limited battery life, and sound that would go out at will, causing me to miss calls, at least for the few hours the battery stayed charged for. GPS took many minutes to lock, and devistated battery life... All I can say, is that if you are considering the Epix, you are a brave person... braver than me

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 2, 2009
(0)
Teacher
I have to say, I have an epix and my husband has the Jack.  I used the jack for a while before he got it, and I like my epix so much better.  I haven't had any real big issues with it, I don't see any need to download the update, I went on the site My Samsung Epix.com and got some tips on how to make the email notification, I fixed the ringtone to one volume all without the update.  I love the mousepad, and the option to use touchscreen or if I want buttons, I can use that as well.  My today screen has all kinds of options on it.  I have to say I love it, the only problem I have had is it freezes up on me every once in a while, but no big deal.  Hope this helps, all I hear is how people don't like the epix,but there are good stories also.    :smileywink:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 3, 2009
(0)
Mentor

Thanks for the feeback and the different perspectives. Of course, now I can't make up my mind about whether to give the Epix a try or not. :smileytongue: I need to get a phone within the next week, otherwise I would wait and see about this new version of the Epix.

BTW, I couldn't find any posts by Gandolf nor the thread referencing a new version of the Epix. If you happen to have a link to that post, let me know.

Thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 3, 2009
(0)
Scholar
While an unpatched (Pre ID1) Epix is a good phone, but all new Epix phones seem to have ID1 now, which ruins the phone. So while there may be good stories out there about the Epix, new ones have been woeful, and you should buy one at your own peril.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 3, 2009
(0)
Professor

elee532 wrote:

Thanks for the feeback and the different perspectives. Of course, now I can't make up my mind about whether to give the Epix a try or not. :smileytongue: I need to get a phone within the next week, otherwise I would wait and see about this new version of the Epix.

BTW, I couldn't find any posts by Gandolf nor the thread referencing a new version of the Epix. If you happen to have a link to that post, let me know.

Thanks!

Here is the link to the rumored Epix replacement

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 3, 2009
(0)
Scholar

It seems odd that a phone to be launched in the fall would have WM6.1 not 6.5.

The article looks like pure speculation to me ... just sayin.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 3, 2009
(0)
Professor

XenaWP wrote:

It seems odd that a phone to be launched in the fall would have WM6.1 not 6.5.

The article looks like pure speculation to me ... just sayin.

Why odd? The Fortress which is replacing the Fuze is CONFIRMED to come out with 6.1, and then will have a 6.5 update

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 3, 2009
(0)
Mentor

Can anyone confirm... am I correct in understanding that I have 30 days to return the phone if I don't like (I plan to buy online)? I'll be buring the phone using the upgrade discount and signing a new 2-year agreement. If I return the phone, does the new 2-year contract stay in place? If I return the phone within the return period, am I eligible to use my phone upgrade credit again?

Thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 3, 2009
(0)
Master

elee532 wrote:

Can anyone confirm... am I correct in understanding that I have 30 days to return the phone if I don't like (I plan to buy online)? I'll be buring the phone using the upgrade discount and signing a new 2-year agreement. If I return the phone, does the new 2-year contract stay in place? If I return the phone within the return period, am I eligible to use my phone upgrade credit again?

Thanks!

In theory, you should be in the state just before you bought the phone. However, in practice, it depends on the sale CSR to go extra mile to do the right thing to reset your account properly. Otherwise, be prepared to chanlenge them next time they tell you that you're not qualified for upgrade. I did that once and what a painful experience.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 3, 2009
(0)
Professor
I checked out the link.  It does'nt look as pretty as the Epix. I wonder if it will be faster and more reliable