Troubleshoot your device issues
pezman726's profile

Mentor

• 

19 Messages

Tuesday, November 5th, 2013 4:12 PM

Data usage at night

Since I don't have data sense, can someone at AT&T please explain my wife's data usage? 

Below is the usage for the past few days.  We are at home in bed at that time.

For the people that might say, "this is data that is used throughout the day and it is just added that night."  Why then does it have data used throughout the day on other days.  Also, on 11/4 at 2:34am, if that were the case, it would have been the data used on the prior day (11/3)...yet the phone was sitting all day in the house not being used AT ALL.  SOMEONE AT AT&T PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME!!!  Data Sense MIGHT be able to give me some insight into this...but without it, I'm stuck!  I really need to get onto t-mobile.  Really regretting signing this contract right now.

11/04/2013 02:34AM
--
Internet/mobile web 18585.0 KBs 0.00
11/03/2013 01:34AM
--
Internet/mobile web 5836.0 KBs 0.00
11/02/2013 02:34AM
--
Internet/mobile web 461.0 KBs 0.00
11/01/2013 02:34AM
--
Internet/mobile web 5784.0 KBs 0.00
10/31/2013 02:34AM
--
Internet/mobile web 6179.0 KBs 0.00

Scholar

• 

167 Messages

10 years ago

I don't use twitter either and don't even have an account.  My question is why does my BB9900 report the usage at the right times...but the Nokia Lumia 920 is another factor?

I see data usage when the device is off at night.  How does that happen?  and why does it "catch up" usage at 2a or so in the AM?

Scholar

• 

167 Messages

10 years ago

I don't use twitter either and don't even have an account.  My question is why does my BB9900 report the usage at the right times...but the Nokia Lumia 920 is another factor?

I see data usage when the device is off at night.  How does that happen?  and why does it "catch up" usage at 2a or so in the AM?

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

@lylone wrote:

It's a different OS? AT&T batch updates small txns overnight. If there are none (which apparently is the case for the blackberry) then you won't have any. If there are, you will.

If you turn off cellular data for the entire day, you will have no overnight data reported, since there will be no data use at all.

Yes, data sense would help show you which of your apps is using data. Sadly, we don't have it.

Mentor

• 

59 Messages

10 years ago

So Pezan726 you have cellular turned off and you are using your local WiFi for connectivity. That eliminates data usage on the AT&T network. I wonder as you do what is going on...odd.

Mentor

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

I have had my cellular data turned off since 10/31.  I have decided to start turning on my data connection at night, while plugged in, while connected to wifi to check for usage at night.

So, last night, I turned on data and went to bed.  Again, phone plugged into the wall, wifi set to keep alive, error reporting off.  I turned off Data first thing after i woke up.

I just looked at my data usage, and shortly after I went to bed, my phone used up 628kb.  Again, The last time I had my data on was on 10/31.

I normally only turn my cell data on when I absolutely NEED to use it.  My wife on the other hand, just leaves it on all the time.  I shouldn't have to do that though, since again, with my previous phone I never had these issues, and I kept data on all the time as well...and still only used up about 75MB on average each month.

(Side not...I have been bit by doing that multiple times because the stupid Visual Voicemail, which I can't seem to 'unconfigure' will only let me know i've got a voicemail if I have my data connection turned on)

Scholar

• 

167 Messages

10 years ago

If I turn off cellular at night, then I turn it back on the next morning it first connects to data and downloads everything then about 5 minutes later connects to wifi.

Defeats the purpose there.

I wish there was a way to schedule items to turn off during certain times.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

@pezman726 wrote:

I have had my cellular data turned off since 10/31.  I have decided to start turning on my data connection at night, while plugged in, while connected to wifi to check for usage at night.

So, last night, I turned on data and went to bed.  Again, phone plugged into the wall, wifi set to keep alive, error reporting off.  I turned off Data first thing after i woke up.

I just looked at my data usage, and shortly after I went to bed, my phone used up 628kb.  Again, The last time I had my data on was on 10/31.

I normally only turn my cell data on when I absolutely NEED to use it.  My wife on the other hand, just leaves it on all the time.  I shouldn't have to do that though, since again, with my previous phone I never had these issues, and I kept data on all the time as well...and still only used up about 75MB on average each month.

(Side not...I have been bit by doing that multiple times because the stupid Visual Voicemail, which I can't seem to 'unconfigure' will only let me know i've got a voicemail if I have my data connection turned on)

And you don't have error reporting enabled?

Mentor

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

settings feedback : Send feedback OFF.  (even though it says "feedback will only be sent over wi-fi)

I forgot to turn my cell data on again last night.  I'll try to remember to do it again tonight.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

if it is not billed, why do i get message about data limits when it is close to the limit because of this telling me how much it will cost to go over plan limit??

Mentor

• 

19 Messages

10 years ago

Just to update this post...

Since Switching to t-mobile, my data usage has gone back down to what it was before I started having these issues.  I now have a TON more data that I can use...but my usage for the past 2 months has stayed around 100mb.

So...my history...with the same usage pattern..

Palm Pixi on AT&T, approx 90-120mb / month

lumia 920 on AT&T, had to shut off data for the last half of the month because we would have gone over

lumia 920 on t-mobile, approx 90-120mb for the past 2 months.  also, my usage is up on t-mobile's site within MINUTES of using it.  not hours/days!

I am now convinced that at&t was doing something funny with their billing of the usage, and am glad I switched.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.