Posted Jul 16, 2013
1:29:13 PM
Data Sense support for Windows Phone?

I keep hearing about the Data Sense app for Windows Phone 8 and I am curious as to why AT&T has not enabled support for this yet? I love my Windows Phone, but I don't use my phone to it's full potential (Marketplace purchases, games, etc) because I don't want to go over my data plan limit.

Last I heard (http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/microsofts-summer-windows-phone-8-update-expand-data-sense-support/2013-05-15 which may or may not be reliable but it's the one of the few sources I've found), AT&T was "exploring whether to support the feature". Based on the articles it appears that Data Sense is a feature built into the Windows Phone OS, in which case AT&T is disabling features and therefore detracting from the user experience which Microsoft has so painstakingly created. Surely I am not the only one who would appreciate this feature?

While I *could* use the My AT&T app for tracking data usage, I am not the primary account holder so I don't really want to save the account information on my phone and frankly, I consider anything baked into the phone by a service provider (or an OEM manufacturer in the PC realm) to be "bloatware" and I remove it. In my experience, the My AT&T app was not the easiest to use and lacked some of the features that are supposed to be in Data Sense.

So, it's been almost 6 months now since I heard that you are "considering" supporting the feature. Surely, 6 months is more than enough time to gather whatever data is necessary to make an informed decision about whether to support this. Is there any indication of if and/or when you will be deciding to either support this or not? I would love to see support for this in the near future, especially with the expectation that Microsoft will be adding features to Data Sense during an update later this summer.

100 replies
(18) Me too
(18) Me too
Replies
(100)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 12, 2013 5:55:58 PM
(0)
Tutor
Dear AT&T, please add the Microsoft Phone app Data Sense to the Lumia 920.

Re: WP8 - Data Sense Support for Nokia Lumia 920 - When?

31 of 101 (4,186 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 15, 2013 6:13:42 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by JohnnyWalkerBlue on Sep 15, 2013 at 7:41:10 PM

There is not a significant free feature that I know of on Windows Phones that is exclusive to AT&T. They do have the AT&T storage Locker.

Data Sense lets you set a data limit and can restrict background date when it is approached. It can give the cellular and WiFi data usage for the last 30 days and the cellular and Wifi Data usage per app and phone tasks like app downloads, store, people, mail, internet explorer and streming media. You can also map nearby WiFi. It is very useful. It does work on my T-Mobile Lumia 521 when I use my AT&T sim.

Sprint has NASCAR Mobile ’13 with premium content for race driver radio and Verizon has NFL Mobile with premium content for streaming games.

We need Data Sense and timely updates for our Windows Phones.

[ Edited ]
32 of 101 (4,022 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 19, 2013 5:19:24 AM
(0)
Scholar

Another day is here, another day we still wont have our Amber update.  And not only are we having to wait a horrible amount of time for it, they will strip out Data Sense.

If you dont think theyll strip it out, note the other two phones that have Amber for ATT. 1020 and 925 I believe. Guess what? They do NOT have Data Sense. So what does that tell you?

For what was supposed to be the flagship carrier for Nokias/WP8, ATT continues to drop the ball, while of course, falling over themselves to appease Iphone owners.  To make us wait, going on months now, and then to strip out one of the coolest features is a slap in the face.

And dont bring up the data feature ATT has. All it tells you is how much data youve used/have left. That is not even close to what Data Sense brings us.  And if other carriers have included it, which they have, there is zero reason for you not to. My contract will be up soon. If we indeed dont have Data Sense, whenever ATT decides to update our devices, Im done. Ill go to another carrier like Verizon or TMobile. Heck, maybe every WP  user should leave. Its clear ATT will do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to for Iphone users but WP continues to get the shaft, even as market share is climbing.

33 of 101 (3,763 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2013 12:40:59 AM
(0)
Contributor

So, I've read posts by people on AT&T's facebook page and there seems to be a good number of people who keep saying that AT&T is cutting out some features for this coming update. Does anyone know exactly what they're taking out or is it just one of those rumors since no one actually has it yet?

Amber Update

34 of 101 (4,706 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2013 6:20:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

All rumors at this point. The Lumias that ship with GDR2 + Amber lack data sense. That's the only feature that AT&T seems like they are not ready to allow, so odds are good it won't be in the update for existing lumias as well.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Amber Update

35 of 101 (4,662 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 21, 2013 1:22:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

Is that the only feature that they are missing? I don't know about you but I'd like to see all the features.

36 of 101 (4,588 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 22, 2013 5:34:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

yearomunkey wrote:

Is that the only feature that they are missing? I don't know about you but I'd like to see all the features.

Yep, that appears to be the only one.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

37 of 101 (4,496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 25, 2013 5:34:55 AM
(0)
Contributor
I hope this is not true! I went with ATT because they were suppose to be the primer windows phone carrier!!! Please get on the ball ATT we are still waiting for you guys to approve the GDR2 Amber update! Other carriers have already tested and released the update. If Data sense is cut me and my family will be leaving ATT for Verizon which has Data Sense.

38 of 101 (4,053 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 30, 2013 2:16:20 PM
(0)
Explorer

I will tell you this, if data sense is stripped out of the 920, I am leaving AT&T forever.  I would rather not have a phone than to be manipulated like this.  I have defended AT&T for many years (over 10) in my area.  I have talked to hundreds of people, telling them how great AT&T is.  I have been a firm AT&T fan but if they do this,,,,,,,,,, ANGER..>>ANGER...ANGER.... I will be their biggest critic and I will cost them as many customers as I can.  It is already insanely frustrating that we dont have this update but if they do this, then it is a naked attempt to make sure I get charged more and I will not take it.  I know this seems trivial,,, I am just tired of everything being rigged to extract a few more dollars from me.  Come on ATT, just give us the update, leave it alone, I will probably go over from time to time anyway since I do need more data a lot of the time, and keep us happy instead of making me a brand assasin.

39 of 101 (3,102 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 30, 2013 6:00:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

Come on AT&T, it is inexcusable for you to remove a key app like Data Sense from the Windows Phone OS.  I have an unbranded Lumia 920 on my AT&T plan, with the Amber/GDR2 update and Data Sense, and it has been working like a charm.  I have heard of problems with initial testing of the Amber/GDR2 rollout; perhaps it was due to y'all tweaking the OS in ways that were not intended by Microsoft.

I would really like to upgrade to a Lumia 1020 (and the rest of my family and company employees too), but I will not do so with the current absence of Data Sense.  I have been a faithful customer for over 20 years, but this appears to be the problem that will ultimately drive me to another carrier.

DON'T BE SO STUPID AT&T!!!

Re: Data Sense support for Windows Phone?

40 of 101 (3,082 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 30, 2013 9:21:58 PM
(0)
Contributor
It is best to vote with your feet.

41 of 101 (3,048 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 30, 2013 9:31:00 PM
(0)
Scholar

AT&T has made it known they will not have the Microsoft Data Sense app on their phones. It was stripped from the 1020, 520 and it will be stripped from the 920.

They can't push phone updates out.

No more.  No more AT&T branded phone for me. That's it.

42 of 101 (3,060 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 1, 2013 4:32:46 AM
(0)
Teacher

I agree with you 100%.  If they want to take their sweet time stripping useful features like this and give us an update 4 months late, then they've just lost another customer, and one that will tell friends and family (who are mostly on Verizon anyways) that AT&T sucks.  And I have more reasons than just this update/date sense problems.  Service sucks inside buildings, Verizon doesn't have that same problem.  And where I live, Verizon actually has 4G.  Probably should have switched A LOT sooner...

43 of 101 (3,024 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2013 4:08:11 AM
(0)
Mentor

I have heard that if you flash the Lumia 920 with the AT&T Lumia 920 Developer ROM you get data sense.  And plenty of other people can use data sense on AT&T's network using different ROMs.  So I call B*S* on the "carrier infrastructure" garbage.

I have looked at the cost of things.  I can switch to MetroPCS (t-mobile's network) and get 3 smartphones with UNLIMITED DATA (yes, it's throttled after 500MB of LTE) for $90 out the door.  Right now I'm paying $110 for only 2 smartphones, 200MB, and only 700min, .20/txt.  There is really NO reason I should stick with AT&T.  I'll make back my ETF after 6 months and at the end of what would've been my contract i'll be up $400.  T-mobile actually has a decent network in my area...and have closer towers to my house!

I'm sick of having to either cut off my data for fear of going over, or paying an overage fee because my wife went over.  Why can't AT&T throttle my data usage like T-Mobile does?

Side note...I get charged $15 for another 200MB....but if I had a larger data plan, I'd get charged $10/1GB...(I know it's in the contract...but it still doesn't make much sense!)

IMHO, data should be charged at a set rate...If it's $30 for 3GB, I should really only be charged $2.00 for 200MB...but whatever.

44 of 101 (2,912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 4, 2013 7:34:46 AM
(0)
Contributor
I think they are really shooting themselves in the foot by taking away early upgrade too. So, now I'm not more compelled to stay by the fact that I can get a better phone. When the contract is up I'll likely be looking elsewhere. I've been an AT$T/Alltel customer since I was in high school, but now I think it's time to pack up and leave:

-No LTE in my area, though other services have it.
-Data plans are expensive and their limits are pretty low in this day and age.
-Questionable business practices like removing Data Sense so people can't monitor data as effectively as they'd like, which leads me to believe the absence of the amber/gdr2 updates in general is a business oriented ploy. Also, had a phone that had a few days of warranty left and it quit working correctly... a tech told me it wouldn't be honored because of the time it'd take to mail it in....uh, yeah, that's nice. Had to stick it out for half a year before I could get it replaced.

Now that other carriers have nearly any model that you can think of, I think it's time to jump ship.

45 of 101 (2,736 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 4, 2013 11:21:59 AM
(0)
Mentor

pezman726 wrote:

still no response from att.  i went to my local corp store.  they had no clue what data sense even is.  i took a few minutes to explain, and they said, "that sounds awesome, i dont know why we are the only carrier that doesnt support it"

seriously...someone that works for att needs to address this.

Sadly, AT&T store level employees are not a good source of information in these situations. I used to be one. They are given very little information about devices unless it is specifically positioned as a tool to assist in closing a sale.

They never have any advanced knowledge of new iPhone releases until the Apple conferences where the information is made public and will, likewise, have no advanced knowledge on release dates of phone software updates or phone features that AT&T may choose to disable. When I worked there, my co-workers thought I was weird for wanting to carry a Windows Phone.

The idea was to have different demo devices rotate to all employees to give the sales staff a familiarity with all operating systems, but unfortunately, I only had one co-worker who used a Windows Phone longer than he was required.

I remain an AT&T customer, but I am disappointed with them over their treatment of Windows Phone updates and disabling features within those updates. I was also disappointed with the way they deceptively marketed HSPA+ as 4G. I live in one of the first LTE markets, but had a "4G" HTC Titan that rarely got faster than 3G speeds.

I did the CAB sender update method on all my family's HTC Titans because AT&T wouldn't release the update, but the vanishing keyboard issue was unbearable. I am very hopeful that the Lumia updates will be released soon, even if it is without Data Sense.

46 of 101 (2,721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 9, 2013 8:34:06 AM
(0)
Mentor

I think I have figured out why AT&T is not going to offer data sense!!

After calling AT&T to complain about the overage charge for my 200MB plan, I was informed that for 'only' an extra $5 on my bill, I could get overage protection by having them stop sending me more data!  Kind of the same thing that Data Sense will do...except for the fact that data sense is free!

I still wish AT&T would come out and say "we are not supporting this because of (x,y,z)"  this is really annoying!

47 of 101 (2,480 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 10, 2013 11:48:55 AM
(0)
Scholar
No Data Sense. I'm done ATT. My contract is up soon and I'm gone. We have to wait longer for updates and then they're stripped down. Way to lose customers.

48 of 101 (2,402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 10, 2013 12:24:58 PM
(0)
Mentor
Hammered....especially the locate wi-fi on Bing that is missing as the Data Sense app is missing.

49 of 101 (2,391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 10, 2013 2:49:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

Just downloaded Amber/GDR2 to my wife's Lumia 920, and as feared, one of the most important parts of GDR2, the Data Sense app was stripped out by AT&T.  I unbranded my 920 last month so I could get the full update, but my wife's phone is now intentionally crippled by AT&T.  The rep in the AT&T store today said to use the MyAT&T app, but it does only a small fraction of what the Data Sense app can do:

App               Track data plan        Track WiFi      Track app (plan&Wifi)

Data Sense   Yes (enter cycle)           Yes          Yes (what apps use data)

MyAT&T                 Yes                     NO                      NO

Tell AT&T to stop messing with the OS and updates and just do their job of providing service.  I have never changed carriers in 25 years, but this will likely be "the straw that broke the camel's back" for me, my family, and my company employees!

50 of 101 (2,358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 11, 2013 4:25:15 AM
(0)
Teacher

@ATTDmitriy

Can ATT Wireless Customers please have a “Non-Official / Official” response to our Wireless Carriers decision to remove DATA SENSE from Windows Phone Handset Update?

Or, please tell us when the My ATT App will be updated to provide the same level of customer control / services.

Thanks

51 of 101 (2,245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 11, 2013 4:58:33 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pezman726 on Oct 11, 2013 at 5:28:43 AM

jrock1 wrote:

@ATTDmitriy

Can ATT Wireless Customers please have a “Non-Official / Official” response to our Wireless Carriers decision to remove DATA SENSE from Windows Phone Handset Update?

Or, please tell us when the My ATT App will be updated to provide the same level of customer control / services.

Thanks

I don't have a twitter account, but I was thinking about making one so I can just start sending massive amounts of messages to AT&T and their customer service reps on there.  Maybe if enough people get on it they will cave.

ok.  I created a twitter account...now I'll just keep sending messages to @ATT, @ATTCustomerCare, @Nokia, @Microsoft, @windowsphone, and for good measure, @joebelfiore.

[ Edited ]
52 of 101 (2,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 11, 2013 12:16:27 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by chrispauly on Oct 11, 2013 at 12:17:26 PM

If I owned an Android phone, I could download an app. called "My Data Manager" that gives me a lot of the DataSense features.  It seems to me that AT&T is just anti-Windows Phone for whatever reason.  My guess is that they are that way against Windows Phone, because they can be.

But couldn't Microsoft just release DataSense as a downloadable app. for Windows Phones?  I don't think AT&T can block that.

[ Edited ]
53 of 101 (2,168 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 15, 2013 7:38:14 AM
(0)
Contributor

AT&T are freaking stupid on disabling this feature if I only new I should have not renewed my contract when I got the Lumia 1020, looking somewhere else next. 

Been tweeting their customer support all they reply with is we dont currently support it as stupid as that.

54 of 101 (1,931 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013 5:54:22 AM
(0)
Community Manager

We don’t have any updates to share regarding the DataSense app. Today, we provide the pre-loaded myAT&T app that lets you manage your wireless account and receive up-to-date information including data usage.

Rethink Possible

For account specific help, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

55 of 101 (1,890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013 6:15:43 AM
(0)
Scholar

And that "up-to-date" information doesn't include why my device keeps showing MB being used at around 12:15a on cell data when the device is on wifi all day and night.  And the funny thing is...I am not using the device at that time in the morning anyway!

56 of 101 (1,890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013 12:40:50 PM
(0)
Mentor
The myAT&T app for phones is more about paying ones bill than data usage monitoring.

57 of 101 (1,870 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013 5:42:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

lnelson15 wrote:
The myAT&T app for phones is more about paying ones bill than data usage monitoring.

You can see your data usage there - for all phones on the account. It's not horrible for any plan with lots of data. Pretty useless for the 200/300MB plans.

58 of 101 (1,852 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013 7:24:23 PM
(0)
Mentor
Yep

59 of 101 (1,846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2013 1:42:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

Why does it not surprise me that we get a canned reply about a topic which is clearly near and dear to the hearts of those who are concerned about it... Perhaps you sir should pass our concerns on up the chain to someone who can do more than just post canned responses telling us to use sub-standard applications provided by your company that don't provide even a fraction of the functionality of the one we're asking for which your company has for whatever reason chosen to BLOCK we your paying customers from accessing.

60 of 101 (1,797 Views)