Posted Jul 16, 2013
1:29:13 PM
Data Sense support for Windows Phone?

I keep hearing about the Data Sense app for Windows Phone 8 and I am curious as to why AT&T has not enabled support for this yet? I love my Windows Phone, but I don't use my phone to it's full potential (Marketplace purchases, games, etc) because I don't want to go over my data plan limit.

Last I heard (http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/microsofts-summer-windows-phone-8-update-expand-data-sense-support/2013-05-15 which may or may not be reliable but it's the one of the few sources I've found), AT&T was "exploring whether to support the feature". Based on the articles it appears that Data Sense is a feature built into the Windows Phone OS, in which case AT&T is disabling features and therefore detracting from the user experience which Microsoft has so painstakingly created. Surely I am not the only one who would appreciate this feature?

While I *could* use the My AT&T app for tracking data usage, I am not the primary account holder so I don't really want to save the account information on my phone and frankly, I consider anything baked into the phone by a service provider (or an OEM manufacturer in the PC realm) to be "bloatware" and I remove it. In my experience, the My AT&T app was not the easiest to use and lacked some of the features that are supposed to be in Data Sense.

So, it's been almost 6 months now since I heard that you are "considering" supporting the feature. Surely, 6 months is more than enough time to gather whatever data is necessary to make an informed decision about whether to support this. Is there any indication of if and/or when you will be deciding to either support this or not? I would love to see support for this in the near future, especially with the expectation that Microsoft will be adding features to Data Sense during an update later this summer.

100 replies
(18) Me too
(18) Me too
Replies
(100)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2013 3:27:27 PM
(0)
Mentor
AT&T probably did not want to provide the infrastructure to support Data Sense...

Re: Data Sense support for Windows Phone?

61 of 101 (6,668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2013 6:05:14 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Taylarie on Oct 18, 2013 at 6:38:24 AM

lnelson15 wrote:
AT&T probably did not want to provide the infrastructure to support Data Sense...

Not true.  If you flash to the AT&T developer ROM it has data sense still in it, and it works perfectly.

AT&T doesn't want you to be able to compare your actual used data to what they say you used.

AT&T doesn't want you to be able to automatically shut off your data usage so you don't accidentally go over.

AT&T doesn't want you to be easily able to find wifi hotspots so you are not using data.

AT&T doesn't want you to compress web traffic so you get more usage for your money.

AT&T DOES want you to go over your data plan limit.

AT&T DOES want you to pay the extra $5 so they will cut off your data when you hit limits. smart limits

AT&T DOES want you to get a larger/more expensive data plan.

When I was on the phone with an AT&T rep complaining about how this phone is magically using data when I'm connected to my home's wifi all day the rep said. "well, 200MB is an awful small amount.  we can upgrade you to the family share plan and it'll only add $40 to your bill.  Or we can upgrade both of your lines to the 300MB for $10 more per month.  That would still be cheaper than you paying $15 for going over!"  To which I replied "FOR THE PAST 3 YEARS WITH MY OLD PHONE I NEVER USED MORE THAN 70MB.  200MB ISN'T THE PROBLEM!  IT IS WHATEVER THIS PHONE IS DOING...AND I WON'T KNOW UNLESS YOU GIVE ME THIS {word filter evasion} APPLICATION!"

Follow @whynodatasense on twitter and keep bugging @att until there is an official answer to this garbage!

[ Edited ]
62 of 101 (6,638 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2013 10:49:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

pezman726 wrote:

lnelson15 wrote:

Not true.  If you flash to the AT&T developer ROM it has data sense still in it, and it works perfectly.

AT&T doesn't want you to be able to compare your actual used data to what they say you used.

AT&T doesn't want you to be able to automatically shut off your data usage so you don't accidentally go over.

AT&T doesn't want you to be easily able to find wifi hotspots so you are not using data.

AT&T doesn't want you to compress web traffic so you get more usage for your money.

AT&T DOES want you to pay the extra $5 so they will cut off your data when you hit limits. smart limits

When I was on the phone with an AT&T rep complaining about how this phone is magically using data when I'm connected to my home's wifi all day the rep said. "well, 200MB is an awful small amount.  we can upgrade you to the family share plan and it'll only add $40 to your bill.  Or we can upgrade both of your lines to the 300MB for $10 more per month.  That would still be cheaper than you paying $15 for going over!"  To which I replied "FOR THE PAST 3 YEARS WITH MY OLD PHONE I NEVER USED MORE THAN 70MB.  200MB ISN'T THE PROBLEM!  IT IS WHATEVER THIS PHONE IS DOING...AND I WON'T KNOW UNLESS YOU GIVE ME THIS {word filter evasion} APPLICATION!"

Follow @whynodatasense on twitter and keep bugging @att until there is an official answer to this garbage!

They may not be able to offer it yet - it was a VZ exclusive at release last year. No one knows what rules they are bound to.

Always assuming they are acting evil is just about as realistic as always assuming Google is not acting evil. Could be a lot of reasons. Only a handful are evil.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

63 of 101 (6,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2013 11:03:54 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by pezman726 on Oct 18, 2013 at 11:10:11 AM

i typed out a big reply....and it didn't post it!!  what the heck!

anyway...

from here:  microsoft blog

Data Sense

As the era of unlimited cellular data plans fades, it’s more important than ever to be smart about how you use your smartphone. That’s where Data Sense comes in. The feature—previously available only to Verizon Wireless customers—helps you stay on top of your phone's data usage (including keeping track of which apps use the most data) and set a limit based on your data plan. Data Sense also has the ability to compress web page data as you browse, so you can surf up to 45 percent more on the same data plan with the feature turned on. How to use Data Sense.

And I always assume that everything Google does IS evil...hence my choice of windows phone.  And the fact that just about every other carrier in the WORLD has this implemented, but AT&T doesn't, leads me down the "evil" path as well.  I am aware of only 1 other carrier that does not have it implemented, Vodafone in Spain.

I would LOVE for AT&T to prove me wrong.  I would LOVE for them to be working on this and have something amazing to show in a future update.  But why not come out and say "yeah, we're working on it.  We ran into a few snags and it'll be coming soon, but we don't know when"

It is WORSE for them to stay silent on the matter when every other carrier in the US (their competitors) have it up and working.

[ Edited ]
64 of 101 (6,629 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2013 12:57:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

pezman726 wrote:
why not come out and say "yeah, we're working on it.  We ran into a few snags and it'll be coming soon, but we don't know when"

Because they never do comment on anything like that, for any platform. In their entire history. Mostly I am guessing that's why. Frankly I have no idea what the issue is preventing it. If you really need it, you could get it with a non-AT&T rom (which sucks as a solution, but it is what it is.)

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

65 of 101 (6,620 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 18, 2013 6:40:47 PM
(0)
Contributor
Ok, so what happened to data sense? Not good for business!!

66 of 101 (6,605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 19, 2013 6:37:13 AM
(0)
Scholar

I ran into the same crap as pezman726.  And was told the Windows Phone was using more data because it was "full feature" phone and that my wifi MUST be going out at night between the hours of 12am and 12:30a.  I think it is a load of bull too.  And I don't know how/why a Windows Phone can use more data than my BB9900  Is it all the flashy live tiles that use MBs of more data?

Oh and all the email accounts, FB and apps are all running on my BB9900 right now and I don't get the 12a data anymore.  I think is a load of Bull. 

Just keep in mind that you have to check MyATT at 12:30a everyday to get a truely accurate amount of data that you are using!

67 of 101 (6,583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 19, 2013 9:52:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

We all need to complain heartily to AT&T about this disgrace of service.  I flashed my Lumia 920 to unbrand AT&T from it, and now have full functionality on the AT&T network.  My phone works better than ever, and now has Data Sense.  There have been some mentions in this forum of Data Sense being a Verizon exclusive, needing additional infrastructure on the AT&T network, or MyAT&T being a reasonable alternative, when I beg to differ.

• Data Sense is a feature of the WP 8 OS from Microsoft (as of the GDR2 update), and it is included on phones through every carrier on Earth except AT&T (perhaps Microsoft should take action against AT&T for potential damage to their brand).
  • Data Sense measures data from the handset side, does not touch the carrier's network, and as such cannot have any impact on the network (i.e. no infrastructure needs).  As I mentioned above, my phone is on AT&T with Data Sense now (unbranded phone), and works great.
  • Data Sense measures data transfer on the carrier network and on WiFi, both in total and listed by individual app (you can easily see the data hogs).  In contrast, MyAT&T only measures total data transfer on the carrier network (it does not measure data over WiFi or by individual apps).  I should add that MyAT&T does compare data usage automatically against the data plan and billing cycle, whereas Data Sense requires the user to manually input the billing cycle and data plan (but this is easily done)

I have been a loyal customer for over 20 years, and this will likely cause me to change carriers for all of my family and all of my company's phones.

68 of 101 (6,530 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 20, 2013 5:53:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

It was an VZ exclusive - VZ advertised it as such at launch. We don't know anything more than that - we don't know if AT&T *can't* enable it, or won't. If they can't because of some deal, then flashing a non-AT&T rom or debranding your phone would obviously "fix" that. If it magically appears around the launch date (Nov 9th) of this year, then we could guess that AT&T wan't allowed to have this feature for a full year after launch. All conjecture - the only thing we know for sure is at launch, they could not offer it.

As to the rest, yep, all true. On the handset you can see what the data use is. Very nice feature. Hopefully AT&T will enable it at some point.

69 of 101 (6,515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 20, 2013 6:48:27 AM
(0)
Tutor

It was a VZ exclusively when WP8 first launched.  In GDR2, Microsoft made it available to everyone (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/basics/windows-phone-8-update-history).

I don't know what launch date you are refering to on Nov. 9, since GDR2 has already been released and crippled by AT&T.

70 of 101 (6,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 20, 2013 5:07:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

chrispauly wrote:

It was a VZ exclusively when WP8 first launched.  In GDR2, Microsoft made it available to everyone (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/basics/windows-phone-8-update-history).

I don't know what launch date you are refering to on Nov. 9, since GDR2 has already been released and crippled by AT&T.

Yep, I read that too - several times. It was a VZ exclusive when Windows Phone 8 launched, November 9th. The post above implies its now available everywhere. We don't know if there is anything preventing AT&T from enabling it, so the conjecture is they are doing it on purpose. All I am saying is, we have no way of knowing that for sure.

71 of 101 (6,493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013 8:51:57 AM
(0)
Mentor
You could always just turn off the cellular link and just use wi-fi...

72 of 101 (6,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013 8:54:32 AM
(0)
Mentor
Also disable the background services for the apps that try to use them...

73 of 101 (6,365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 23, 2013 9:03:20 AM
(0)
Mentor
So what do you think the chance of getting Data Sense on AT&T?

74 of 101 (6,362 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 24, 2013 9:02:52 PM
(0)
Contributor
I am agree with this, WE WANT DATA SENSE AT&T!

75 of 101 (6,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 27, 2013 4:19:11 AM
(0)
Teacher

johninsj wrote:

pezman726 wrote:

lnelson15 wrote:

They may not be able to offer it yet - it was a VZ exclusive at release last year. No one knows what rules they are bound to.

Always assuming they are acting evil is just about as realistic as always assuming Google is not acting evil. Could be a lot of reasons. Only a handful are evil.

That is a whole lot of crap. It was exclusive to Verizon, but that has been lifted a long time ago and every other US carrier, except ATT, now supports Data Sense.

So there is no limitation that ATT has to abide by, they just choose to disable Data Sense so they can charge for their own data monitoring service. In other words they just like to screw over their customers as much as they can.

So don't spread dumb excuses for ATT that are founded on thin air.

76 of 101 (6,141 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 27, 2013 5:51:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

John202 wrote:

johninsj wrote:

pezman726 wrote:

lnelson15 wrote:

That is a whole lot of crap. It was exclusive to Verizon, but that has been lifted a long time ago and every other US carrier, except ATT, now supports Data Sense.

So there is no limitation that ATT has to abide by, they just choose to disable Data Sense so they can charge for their own data monitoring service. In other words they just like to screw over their customers as much as they can.

So don't spread dumb excuses for ATT that are founded on thin air.

"they just choose to disable Data Sense so they can charge for their own data monitoring service." you have proof of this, or is this founded on thin air?

That's my point. We really don't know. There is a default assumption that AT&T is doing things "to screw over their customers" - like delaying Amber, or removing data sense. But those assumptions aren't always correct.

77 of 101 (6,124 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 20, 2013 8:06:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

ATT really needs to allow it. I am having trouble with rouge data on my 1020 and I have no way of tracking real time what is using the data. I did a hard reset on the phone 2 days ago, uninstalled all of the ATT preloaded apps and really haven't used the phone that much. Today I find out that I have used 500MB's since reseting the phone. Tech support was not helpful. All they can do is recommend turning off mobile data until I get ready to use it. That is like taking the gas out of my car at night to make sure it doesnt disappear before morning. I had them switch me to the warranty Department to replace the phone. I dont know what else to do. The nice tech support lady told me I could purchase a larger data plan?!??! Very frustrated at this point. Has anyone else had excessive orphantom data use occur on their phone?

78 of 101 (5,339 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 21, 2013 5:36:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

michaelspencer1 wrote:

Has anyone else had excessive orphantom data use occur on their phone?

Many people have.

Like you said, it's some app using the data. Email, twitter, facebook, linkedin integration in WP8 also can use significant data - I've seen a stuck message in the outbox burn through lots of data before, for example.

79 of 101 (5,314 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 21, 2013 10:34:52 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Binip on Nov 21, 2013 at 10:49:04 AM

Hi! New to these forums, as well as to Windows and AT&T.

I recently got an AT&T branded Windows phone from a friend and since I'm trying to budget, I decided to try it. It speaks to the enormity of my love for Nokia, that the possibility of keeping this device has overcome my anger at AT&T and my simmering issues with Windows, which lost many sleepless nights worth of work when I was in my 20s.

It is transparent to me that they are trying to make money on data overages. To me, as a customer, that screams, "I cannot produce goods or services you want to purchase, so I will lie to you about what you are getting, then trick you into spending money with a complicated contract."

Luckily, I foresaw this before purchasing anything from AT&T. Sometimes being old and bitter has its advantages. So I found this work-around:

If you have an AT&T branded phone and don't want to invest in a new one, but don't have a plan/your plan is expiring, you have a cheap workaround!

I bought a $25 GoPhone pre-paid plan that doesn't allow any data access beyond what I pay in cash, up front. I refused auto-refill. Therefore, my phone physically cannot access data until I put cash on it. It MUST use the wifi*.

I could be paying $10 more and have access to limited data, and turn off the data usage on the phone whenever I get home**--a pain in the butt but worth it for the budget-conscious who need occasional data.

I assume that most people limiting data are NOT using their phone as their home Internet, because then it would be worth it to buy unlimited data. So you don't need much data at all, provided you have wifi at work.

You can do this with any GoPhone plan.

And since I got my device for free, I am getting a year's worth of cell phone service with unlimited texting for all of $300.

I feel I should end this on a positive note. The customer service reps were very helpful and polite and I didn't wait long at all.

Best of luck, fellow American mobile phone users.

*How to test this

Set up your go-phone plan. Turn off wifi (go to Settings > Wi-Fi networking > slide to off. Then use the search button and type something in. You will not be able to search (network not found) because you do not have access to data.

**How to turn off the data

Settings > Cellular > Data connection > turn to "off"

[ Edited ]
80 of 101 (5,294 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 22, 2013 5:40:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Binip wrote:

It is transparent to me that they are trying to make money on data overages. 

A popular refrain. I have a 2GB data plan, and never go over, and never turn off cellular data. I think what it means is smartphones (because yes, iPhones and Android phones also seem to run into this issue) really don't work on 300MB plans.

That's beside the main point of this thread - it would be really nice if Data Sense was available on AT&T. Hopefully it will arrive here some day.

81 of 101 (5,205 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 22, 2013 7:40:34 AM
(0)
Contributor
There is no logical reason for AT&T to keep Data Sense restricted for the customer's advantage. Being forced to use the myAT&T "app," which is essentially just the mobile website, makes you use actual data to check your data! Whereas Data Sense is built into the GDR2 update, has integrated features, a live tile, and never uses data directly, AT&T removes all of these beautiful features so we have to use what feels like a website from the early 2000s. THEIR website.
I feel like some form of rights are being violated! :smileysad:

82 of 101 (5,200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 23, 2013 7:36:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

pbk1999 wrote:

I feel like some form of rights are being violated! :smileysad:

Your right to party?

Originally this was a VZ exclusive at launch of WP8. After 6 months it showed up on most other carrieres except for AT&T. Now, I have no idea why they haven't enabled it (it's been a year since launch...)

83 of 101 (5,135 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Nov 27, 2013 9:45:26 AM
(0)
Tutor

Nokia exclusives only last 6 months for the phones and I doubt Nokia could even agree to this arrangement as it is a standard feature of WP8. I think MS gives the carriers the option to remove it, which they did.

MS just said that more carriers would be rolling out datasense with GDR3, but it was launched with WP8 over a year ago. It is not a new feature.

Anyway the only part that needs carrier infrastructure is the server side compression, but that might not even be true as flashing any WP dev rom has datasense in it. ATT clearly puts itself ahead of it's customers why would this be any different. Specifically ATT removed Qi from the 1520 because they are pushing PMA. ATT did not replace Qi with PMA which would be bad enough they simply removed it.

I personally have 200$ worth of Qi wireless chargers that I can't use with my new phone because of ATT. They are evil.

84 of 101 (4,907 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 25, 2013 6:57:43 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by pwallas on Dec 25, 2013 at 6:59:41 PM

We need a solution to understanding which apps are using data. If for some reason AT&T does not want to offer Data Sense, then the myATT app needs to be upgraded to provide information about which apps are using what data. It is not enough to know how much overall data we have used, the details are critical to allowing us to manage our usage.

[ Edited ]
85 of 101 (3,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Dec 29, 2013 8:25:36 PM
(0)
Voyager

So from the date that the articles were posted, it is almost a year since they were considering it. Anybody know if there is any change in this? I was not only directed here by a search engine, but also by an AT&T support representative (Julie Ballard). I switched from Verizon to here and was greatly disappointed to not have Data Sense to help me out.

It was also useful to know if an app is being too touchy with my data which was my main use. I was able to know when I was spending too much time on an app or if an app is maybe doing something I don't want it to do (ie:uploading images to the internet, even if it only does it on wifi). Something that none of AT&T options can perform.

86 of 101 (3,118 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 14, 2014 7:42:35 AM
(0)
Tutor
Last weekend I received 3 texts after the fact, that I was approaching and exceeded my data cap. Apparently there is a WP8 app that could have prevented it, Data Sense. However I cannot find it in the phone or the app store. How do I install or enable Data Sense? (Please don't tell me about myATT. It doesn't do what I need it to do, Data Sense does. However if there is another App that will actively prompt/stop data use like Data Sense does, from the phone's perspective (not AT&T's side, which runs 15 to 45 minutes too late), I'd be glad to here about it.)

Now to install/enable Data Sense on 1520

87 of 101 (2,108 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 14, 2014 10:23:39 AM
(0)
Employee

This wouldn't be supported by AT&T, since it's not an AT&T product/service, but perhaps this Windows Phone article will help.

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Now to install/enable Data Sense on 1520

88 of 101 (2,087 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 14, 2014 12:33:43 PM
(0)
Mentor

Alex...

Did you read the article you linked to?

Its all about using Data Sense which AT&T does NOT provide on their Windows 8 phones.

89 of 101 (2,073 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jan 22, 2014 3:47:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

The exact same thing happened to me today and one month ago. There is either a rogue app or a problem with the OS that causes MASSIVE amounts of data to download in a 30 minute period. I have blown through 2 gigs in 45 minutes, which is amazing considering I have no idea which app could be doing it. The Data Sense app would solve all our problems but AT&T has removed it from the update. I do not know why but I have to assume it is for business reasons as this is the most logical. Since we know for a fact the app works if you manage to flash your phone with a version of Windows Phone 8 that has the app, then we all half to assume the worst. 

The reps have been no help and act as if they are barely aware they even sell Windows Phones. And of course, they did exactly what everyone on this forum said they would do, which is offer to upsell me instead of try to fix my problem.

I'm leaving AT&T over this, as I do not like being swindled. I have been with them a long time but this is blatant. 

90 of 101 (1,480 Views)