Troubleshoot your device issues
wickedmad3's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Monday, October 11th, 2010 4:20 AM

Captivate won't connect to my Home wifi

Connects at work, McieDs, school, but not my own house? Are you kidding me....this is my first smartphone and so far with the exception of this wifi issue its been great, so i would like for it to change. Whenever i try to connect it shows that it is "obtaining ip address" but 1-3mins later just comes up saying "unsuccessful" at first it striked me as wierd...now its pi$$ing me off. My wifi at home is a WEP security enabled(saved the correct password) set up if that matters.

Off topic:

Does Wifi count towards monthly data usage?

Why is it when i use the *3282# number to view data usage it replies with a text stating "Messaging: xxxx of Unlimited" ? Didn't ask for messages......

How would i connect to the net without going through wifi?

I know these questions might come off as annoying to some of you seasoned posters and phone fans but 1 iv'e never had a data plan and my last phone was the first blackjack. Plus i'm a "just knows how to set up a computer and download things" kinda guy.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

13 years ago

This thread has additional information on preparing for a factory reset.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Motorola/Can-t-get-my-3G-to-work-again-after-using-Wifi/m-p/2556509

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

13 years ago

@sosuzguy wrote:

Thanks does anyone know other than copying my contacts off the phone and onto the sim card and taking out my sd card should or can I do anything else to backup *stuff* on the phone?

What about apps your purchased?  After it's wiped off do you have to buy it again or just go to the market to download it and it won't charge again?  Thanks

I would look into Astro, my backup, and appbrain to back up and record your apps.  I had over 100 installed, so writing them down was too much.  Astro will back them up to the SD card, while appbrain will do clean reinstalls.  Appbrain also remembers which apps were purchased and will reinstall those, with no need to buy agian.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

I just got my captivate this week and I'm having the same problem.  The only place I've tried to get on wifi besides home is at school and it works there.  I' think I've tried all the above suggestion.  I even tried connecting with the wps push button and pin when I tried with the pin my pc said my devise was now conncted to my router but it never showed up on my phone.  I've typed in my pass word a dozen times and even had my wife type it in to make sure I was not doing it wrong and it always comes up with the message that that's not the correct password try again.  I've logged 2 laptops a ipod touch and a wii onto this connection but I'm about ready to throw this phone through the wall.  does anyone else have any more suggestions or should I take the phone back to att and try a new one

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

I just tried dropping my security and my phone connected right up. Then as soon as I put my security back up it said the password was wrong.  So does anyone have any new suggestions.

Mentor

• 

72 Messages

13 years ago

After I did a factory reset on mine about 60 days ago it worked fine.  This week I noticed it quit connecting to the wifi at home.  I've read all these suggestions and on other boards.  Nothing I do makes it work again at home.  Go figure the one place I'd like to connect to wifi at the most.  I am not going to do a factory reset again on my phone just to make the wifi work and wipe everything out.  I shouldn't have to keep doing that.  Samsung should make a fix for this and push it to our phones if they were a good company.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I had the same problem all this week. I would also like to outline the steps performed in case anyone has issues. You can never have to many ideas 🙂

1, Disconnect WIFI from mobile phone.

2. Power off/on phone.

3. Reconnect WIFI.

4. Disconnect WIFI

5 .Use static IP from computer to connect to mobile. (cmd prompt and the type ipconfig) 

6. You will need your computer's address, routers IP, and default mask.

7. Reconnect WIFI

8. Disconnect WIFI

9. Power off router

10. Unplug router (wait 2 mins before plugging back in power)

11. Reconnect WIFI

12. Diconnect WIFI

13. Master reset - IMPORTANT (remember to back up all personal files to memory card or computer before continuing)

Power off phone remove battery, SIM card, and memory card. Hold phone in right hand and push the up and down volume and power button simontaneously after the 2nd flash of the AT&T screen release.

14. Menu will come up you will need to erase all user data. You will be able to navigate this with the up and down volume keys and select it with the power button.

15. Once the phone power on it will request the SIM card. Power phone off.

16. Add battery, SIM card, and memory card back in phone and turn it on.

17. Once phone turns on make sure you connect to your WIFI that you had setup before and you should be good.

18. If all else fails contact Samsung Tech Support directly.

Hope this helps everyone who may be having issues!!

Mentor

• 

72 Messages

13 years ago

I have to applaud you for taking the time, a month later, to outline all those steps! 

HOWEVER why should we have to keep doing this type of stuff over and over to keep these junk pieces of phones working properly?

The problem is that there isn't just one way to backup your contacts/downloaded programs (pruchased)/free downloaded programs/pictures/music/notepad notes etc. the list goes on.  Your always going to loose something.  Why aren't these phone backing up everything that's non factory if we are going to have to do master resets on them every 60 days or so?

Let's see some responsibility from the carrier and phone manufacturers on this!

I'm sure the big WIGS at AT&T nor Samsung ever have to put up with doing this to their phone everytime it decides to take a hiatus!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

I've been running Froyo for about a month now... Or longer... And when I got back from 1 full day away from home, my connection no longer worked.  Like other's have stated, my connection still works EVERYWHERE else, just not on my personal home network... It's like AT&T is trying to force us to use 3G all the time...

I agree that I shouldn't have to re-boot the entire phone... If I have to do that, there is a flaw in the phone and it should be replaced.... Let AT&T pay for the problem, not me...

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

13 years ago

@TRAVONE1 wrote:

I've been running Froyo for about a month now... Or longer... And when I got back from 1 full day away from home, my connection no longer worked.  Like other's have stated, my connection still works EVERYWHERE else, just not on my personal home network... It's like AT&T is trying to force us to use 3G all the time...

I agree that I shouldn't have to re-boot the entire phone... If I have to do that, there is a flaw in the phone and it should be replaced.... Let AT&T pay for the problem, not me...

that statement is illogocal - if ATT was "trying to force you to use 3G at all times" WiFi would not function reliably at all "EVERWHERE else".

look to your wireless router, checm the SSID security settings, if you are using a older router - abour a yar or two old it is possible that the phone is triyng to use a security setup that your router either does not have configured or does not support, like WPA /WPA2 Tkip security on the phone and WEP on your router. The two will not connect.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Okay, I agree with the 3G thing.. I'm just a little upset about it...

As for the router, I was WEP but changed everythign to WPA.  My phone recognizes it as WPA and I entered the security phrase...

I have been able to hook everything else up, my 2 laptops, ipod, wii, etc.. But the phone will not connect.  I have tried "forgetting" the connection, turnign the phone off, pulling the battery out, etc... But I just can't seam to make it connect.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.