Posted Oct 10, 2010
9:20:02 PM
View profile
Captivate won't connect to my Home wifi

Connects at work, McieDs, school, but not my own house? Are you kidding me....this is my first smartphone and so far with the exception of this wifi issue its been great, so i would like for it to change. Whenever i try to connect it shows that it is "obtaining ip address" but 1-3mins later just comes up saying "unsuccessful" at first it striked me as wierd...now its pi$$ing me off. My wifi at home is a WEP security enabled(saved the correct password) set up if that matters.

Off topic:

Does Wifi count towards monthly data usage?

Why is it when i use the *3282# number to view data usage it replies with a text stating "Messaging: xxxx of Unlimited" ? Didn't ask for messages......

How would i connect to the net without going through wifi?

I know these questions might come off as annoying to some of you seasoned posters and phone fans but 1 iv'e never had a data plan and my last phone was the first blackjack. Plus i'm a "just knows how to set up a computer and download things" kinda guy.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 11, 2010 9:57:20 AM
(0)
Professor

Do you have a MAC filter on your router? Although it would be an unusual configuration, I suppose it's possible.

You could try turning off security on the router temporarily to see if you can connect. Or change to WPA2 as has already been suggested.

Accepted Solution

Captivate won't connect to my Home wifi

43 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(43)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2010 5:35:00 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Zandora on Oct 11, 2010 at 5:36:45 AM

Answers in line below...

wickedmad3 wrote:

Connects at work, McieDs, school, but not my own house? Are you kidding me....this is my first smartphone and so far with the exception of this wifi issue its been great, so i would like for it to change. Whenever i try to connect it shows that it is "obtaining ip address" but 1-3mins later just comes up saying "unsuccessful" at first it striked me as wierd...now its pi$$ing me off. My wifi at home is a WEP security enabled(saved the correct password) set up if that matters.

Since it works at McD's and school, then the Wifi in your phone works. So I would suggest that you double-check your password. Maybe there's a typo.

Off topic:

Does Wifi count towards monthly data usage?

Wifi does NOT count towards monthly data usage. And downloads/uploads are faster on Wifi as a rule. Download Data Counter Widget from the Market and you can easily track your usage on both Wifi and Mobile Network, if you are interested in how much data you're using. Whenever Wifi is available, you should connect to that as that saves you from dipping into your monthly data.

Why is it when i use the *3282# number to view data usage it replies with a text stating "Messaging: xxxx of Unlimited" ? Didn't ask for messages......

AT&T's data usage response always includes both Messaging and Data usage. Nothing you can do about that as that is a standard reply format.

How would i connect to the net without going through wifi?

Hmmm...Why would you want to do this? If you want to limit your data usage, connect to wifi whenever possible. But to answer your question, make sure your Wifi connection is turned off and you won't connect to it even if it's available.

I know these questions might come off as annoying to some of you seasoned posters and phone fans but 1 iv'e never had a data plan and my last phone was the first blackjack. Plus i'm a "just knows how to set up a computer and download things" kinda guy.

Not annoying at all. That's what the forums are for. Post any time with any question :smileyhappy: Good luck!

Re: Captivate won't connect to my Home wifi

[ Edited ]
2 of 44 (20,428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2010 5:59:52 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thing is the password I entered is correct.It just keeps saying obtaining IP address...Then says unsuccessful. Vive read on another forum somewhere that this is quite a common issue cause the Captivate doesn't always connect to WEP set ups and that you need to "mess" with the wifi security settings...which of course I have no clue to what there talking about...So if anyone can provide a step by step solution to my dilemma I would really appreciate it..Its not like I want to be home using up all my data...would be kinda silly.

3 of 44 (20,418 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2010 7:00:05 AM
(0)
Expert

wickedmad3 wrote:

Thing is the password I entered is correct.It just keeps saying obtaining IP address...Then says unsuccessful. Vive read on another forum somewhere that this is quite a common issue cause the Captivate doesn't always connect to WEP set ups and that you need to "mess" with the wifi security settings...which of course I have no clue to what there talking about...So if anyone can provide a step by step solution to my dilemma I would really appreciate it..Its not like I want to be home using up all my data...would be kinda silly.

not sure whay that is happening, but if your home wireless supports it WPA is a lot more secure then WEP, not many devices correctly support WEP anymore

4 of 44 (20,403 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2010 7:05:26 AM
(0)
Professor

Try power cycling your router.

5 of 44 (20,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2010 8:15:15 AM
(0)
Teacher

And power cycling is? I'm not too hip on the technical terms.... Hopefully this gets resolved because when i google search my problem this thread shows up on the first page so if anyone else has the same problem as me they can just see this for the solution. And if newer model phones don't support WEP anymore?...If not i assume i would have to buy a new router.

Oh and i contacted AT&T got transfered 3 times from Wireless tech support to DSL support to Advanced support spending a total of 69mins....only to get to a point where the advanced tech guys said that they would have to charge me 49.99 for helping me....WTH is up with that? Ima get charged for something that should be working but doesn't?

6 of 44 (20,396 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2010 8:17:56 AM
(0)
Master

Power Cycling = Reboot :smileyhappy:

If the router doesn't have an on-off button, unplug it, count to 20, plug it back in.

The counting to 20 is just to ensure everything internal shuts down before you power up again. It's actually a good thing to do with whatever you happen to be rebooting/power cycling...phones, computers, printers, etc.

7 of 44 (20,389 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2010 8:43:04 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by wickedmad3 on Oct 11, 2010 at 9:02:26 AM

Nah that didn't help....thanks for the suggestion guys...keep em coming i can't be the only one who had to go through this. I think i might have to change my wifi security setting but i'm not sure how. If my wifi is WEP then my phone would have to be configured to WEP too right? So how would you (if possible) go about doing that?

I tried a method where you add a wifi network and add the same name as yours and switch the security to WEP it also ask for WEP type (no clue hat that is - auto, WEP hexadecimal and WEP)...i tried hexadecimal since i thought that meant alfa-numeric character a-f and 0-9 but i'm still stuck. Phone is scanning and tries to obtain IP address from both of the networks (even though its just one) and fail after fail....this is getting really dull really fast. This method apparently worked for someone else on another forum but that post was a month ago.

[ Edited ]
8 of 44 (20,380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 11, 2010 9:57:20 AM
(0)
Professor

Do you have a MAC filter on your router? Although it would be an unusual configuration, I suppose it's possible.

You could try turning off security on the router temporarily to see if you can connect. Or change to WPA2 as has already been suggested.

9 of 44 (20,362 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2010 12:34:30 PM
(0)
Teacher

I would like to thank everyone involved...finally got what you guys were saying after i googled everything.

I would like to post the step i used in order to get this done. To anyone else who is having this problem just go to your routers webpage and change your settings from WEP to WPA or WPA2 (this being the best option). First you will need to get your IP address. If you don't know how just go to the "Run" program and type in cmd. Another window should pop up and in that window you type "ipconfig" which drops down (usually) 3 different addresses. They usually tend to be 192.168.##.###, and thats what you type into your browser. To get on your routers webpage you first need to put your IP address in, then simply type that address into the address field of your browser. From there you should be in full control of your router.

Thanks for everyones help...greatly appreciated it...i was kinda getting mad too...and almost spent that 49.99.

10 of 44 (20,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2010 8:30:50 AM
(0)
Contributor

I tried the solution and it didn't work for me. When I changed my router to WPA, I could no longer connect to the internet with my computer and I still couldn't connect with my phone. I contacted the tech support center for my internet provider and my phone and got no help. They each told me that the other was the one who could help. The irony is that both my internet provider and wireless cell provider are AT & T. I was very excited with my new phone but this problem has lessened my excitement. I know there must be a solution and I can't be the only one having the problem. If anyone out there has an answer I would appreciate the help.

11 of 44 (12,790 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2010 8:48:56 AM
(0)
Guru

If neither the computer nor the phone is connecting now (but they were before), then there's some problem with the setup.  Perhaps your devices are remembering the old setup?  Try forgetting/removing the network and reconnecting.

You mentioned your ISP is AT&T.  Do you have a 2wire modem/router?  If so, and if you're using the default encryption key, I know that key is in very small print and can be hard to read.  Also, there are several numbers printed on the device.  The default key is the one in the middle surrounded by square brackets [].

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

12 of 44 (12,781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 6:09:40 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same problem as well now, my Captivate has suddenly stopped connecting to my home wifi and I have not done anything to my router configurations. I'm assuming my router is already using WPA2 because when I try to connect on my phone it says "Security: WPA/WPA2". It has worked for the last month or so and now has suddenly stopped, every time I connect it gives me "obtaining ip address" and then says "unsuccessful".

Any other fixes/solutions?

13 of 44 (12,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2010 6:14:55 AM
(0)
Scholar

Just to add my $0.02 worth, the problem is not with using WEP. I have had mine set for years with this, and have never once seen or read any reason to go with WPA. Those that do must be very paranoid, IMO. At any rate, to make mine worse, my SSID is hidden, and I use 128 bit encryption. This means any time some one wants to conenct, they need to know my 26 digit key. My works flawless on any WIFI device. Changing from WEP to WPA will only ask your phone to update the saved settings you may have. In essence, you are just removing the saved key, and changing settings by doing so. You would get the same result in going in reverse. What I would do first in any router connection problems, is leave it open, with no security. Once you can connect, then go and add your security. One step at a time, until it all works, or...you at least know what part starts to cause issues.

14 of 44 (12,660 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2011 2:29:07 PM
(0)
Tutor

I agree with your suggestion to turn off security and make sure he can connect and then enable things one at a time. 

I will say that WEP is highly insecure.  For a long time technology has been available to monitor a WIFI network and eventually (within hours not years) deduce the key used to secure the network.  Once someone has the key they can see everything that is not over a secured connection (https, SSL, ssh, etc).  This is why most network devices have been moving to support WPA and WPA2.  Though I myself couldn't move off WEP until our wireless printer finally died.  It only supported WEP and the new one supported WPA2 so I moved our entire network to WPA2. 

15 of 44 (12,396 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2011 1:33:12 AM
(0)
Mentor

Well I had a Captivate that would connect to the wifi until I upgraded to 2.2 and now mine does this.

I've tried everything listed and nothing works.  Not even opening up the router.  Any fresh ideas?

16 of 44 (11,656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2011 11:24:45 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by gg1 on Mar 13, 2011 at 11:26:45 AM

Possible solution! 

The exact same thing happened to me after the Froyo upgrade and switching over to Verizon FIOS internet - the two occurred right about the same time, so I don't know which caused what.  After searching the various support forums, it seems that Froyo upgrade is tempermental with some routers.  Funny part is that Captivate's  Wifi connection worked in other locations, but not at home. On the other hand, my wife's iPhone had no issues connecting to the home Wifi.

I tried all the suggested fixes on changing out WEP/WPA AES TKS, router firmware upgrade etc.  Nothing worked until I finally relented and did a factory reset on thew Captivate.  Worked like a charm, and now I have a wifi connection again.

That's my recommendation to all who haven't done it.  The minor downside is that you'll have to reinstall all the apps again.  Too bad that Fast Web Installer doesn't work with Android now, so the reinstall is kind of manual - app by app.  Still, now I have a working Wifi connection  and in any event it's probably good practice for the phone to do a hard reset after the Froyo upgrade (for battery & performance issues, as well.)

[ Edited ]
17 of 44 (11,613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2011 11:53:14 AM
(0)
Mentor

I absolutely refuse to wipe out everything on my phone just for a factory reset.  My reason... If I run the Allshare app it connects to my WIFI immediately. 

I think rather they should have a flash update to fix this instead of us all having to reinstall everything.

Do these guys not ever test anything first?  CRAZY

18 of 44 (11,603 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2011 4:40:57 PM
(0)
Professor
When OS updates are tested, they are tested on CLEAN phones. No apps from the Market, emails accounts not added, stock message app, etc. I have seen it for quite a few android phone models now that had a major OS update. A factory reset will clear most if not all issues people experience after an OS update.

19 of 44 (11,580 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2011 8:05:36 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thanks does anyone know other than copying my contacts off the phone and onto the sim card and taking out my sd card should or can I do anything else to backup *stuff* on the phone?

What about apps your purchased?  After it's wiped off do you have to buy it again or just go to the market to download it and it won't charge again?  Thanks

20 of 44 (11,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2011 8:59:28 PM
(0)
Professor
Contacts are better off if they are synced with the gmail account. Copying to sd card or SIM will work too. The sd card is not touched by the factory reset. You can take it out (properly) for extra protection.

Purchased apps are tied to your gmail account. They will available to download after you open the Market application.

I'm going to grab a link from an older post here with more details. Really don't feel like typing them out again.

21 of 44 (10,409 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2011 9:04:14 PM
(0)
Professor
This thread has additional information on preparing for a factory reset.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Motorola/Can-t-get-my-3G-to-work-again-after-using-Wifi/m-p/2556509

22 of 44 (10,404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2011 5:32:04 AM
(0)
Teacher

sosuzguy wrote:

Thanks does anyone know other than copying my contacts off the phone and onto the sim card and taking out my sd card should or can I do anything else to backup *stuff* on the phone?

What about apps your purchased?  After it's wiped off do you have to buy it again or just go to the market to download it and it won't charge again?  Thanks

I would look into Astro, my backup, and appbrain to back up and record your apps.  I had over 100 installed, so writing them down was too much.  Astro will back them up to the SD card, while appbrain will do clean reinstalls.  Appbrain also remembers which apps were purchased and will reinstall those, with no need to buy agian.

23 of 44 (10,376 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 8:21:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just got my captivate this week and I'm having the same problem.  The only place I've tried to get on wifi besides home is at school and it works there.  I' think I've tried all the above suggestion.  I even tried connecting with the wps push button and pin when I tried with the pin my pc said my devise was now conncted to my router but it never showed up on my phone.  I've typed in my pass word a dozen times and even had my wife type it in to make sure I was not doing it wrong and it always comes up with the message that that's not the correct password try again.  I've logged 2 laptops a ipod touch and a wii onto this connection but I'm about ready to throw this phone through the wall.  does anyone else have any more suggestions or should I take the phone back to att and try a new one

24 of 44 (10,120 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 8:51:52 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just tried dropping my security and my phone connected right up. Then as soon as I put my security back up it said the password was wrong.  So does anyone have any new suggestions.

25 of 44 (10,115 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 8:55:42 PM
(0)
Mentor

After I did a factory reset on mine about 60 days ago it worked fine.  This week I noticed it quit connecting to the wifi at home.  I've read all these suggestions and on other boards.  Nothing I do makes it work again at home.  Go figure the one place I'd like to connect to wifi at the most.  I am not going to do a factory reset again on my phone just to make the wifi work and wipe everything out.  I shouldn't have to keep doing that.  Samsung should make a fix for this and push it to our phones if they were a good company.

26 of 44 (10,114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2011 6:43:09 PM
(0)
Contributor

I had the same problem all this week. I would also like to outline the steps performed in case anyone has issues. You can never have to many ideas :smileyhappy:

1, Disconnect WIFI from mobile phone.

2. Power off/on phone.

3. Reconnect WIFI.

4. Disconnect WIFI

5 .Use static IP from computer to connect to mobile. (cmd prompt and the type ipconfig) 

6. You will need your computer's address, routers IP, and default mask.

7. Reconnect WIFI

8. Disconnect WIFI

9. Power off router

10. Unplug router (wait 2 mins before plugging back in power)

11. Reconnect WIFI

12. Diconnect WIFI

13. Master reset - IMPORTANT (remember to back up all personal files to memory card or computer before continuing)

Power off phone remove battery, SIM card, and memory card. Hold phone in right hand and push the up and down volume and power button simontaneously after the 2nd flash of the AT&T screen release.

14. Menu will come up you will need to erase all user data. You will be able to navigate this with the up and down volume keys and select it with the power button.

15. Once the phone power on it will request the SIM card. Power phone off.

16. Add battery, SIM card, and memory card back in phone and turn it on.

17. Once phone turns on make sure you connect to your WIFI that you had setup before and you should be good.

18. If all else fails contact Samsung Tech Support directly.

Hope this helps everyone who may be having issues!!

27 of 44 (9,941 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2011 8:14:49 AM
(0)
Mentor

I have to applaud you for taking the time, a month later, to outline all those steps! 

HOWEVER why should we have to keep doing this type of stuff over and over to keep these junk pieces of phones working properly?

The problem is that there isn't just one way to backup your contacts/downloaded programs (pruchased)/free downloaded programs/pictures/music/notepad notes etc. the list goes on.  Your always going to loose something.  Why aren't these phone backing up everything that's non factory if we are going to have to do master resets on them every 60 days or so?

Let's see some responsibility from the carrier and phone manufacturers on this!

I'm sure the big WIGS at AT&T nor Samsung ever have to put up with doing this to their phone everytime it decides to take a hiatus!

28 of 44 (9,928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2011 11:57:29 AM
(0)
Contributor

I've been running Froyo for about a month now... Or longer... And when I got back from 1 full day away from home, my connection no longer worked.  Like other's have stated, my connection still works EVERYWHERE else, just not on my personal home network... It's like AT&T is trying to force us to use 3G all the time...

I agree that I shouldn't have to re-boot the entire phone... If I have to do that, there is a flaw in the phone and it should be replaced.... Let AT&T pay for the problem, not me...

29 of 44 (9,498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2011 1:24:42 PM
(0)
Expert

TRAVONE1 wrote:

I've been running Froyo for about a month now... Or longer... And when I got back from 1 full day away from home, my connection no longer worked.  Like other's have stated, my connection still works EVERYWHERE else, just not on my personal home network... It's like AT&T is trying to force us to use 3G all the time...

I agree that I shouldn't have to re-boot the entire phone... If I have to do that, there is a flaw in the phone and it should be replaced.... Let AT&T pay for the problem, not me...

that statement is illogocal - if ATT was "trying to force you to use 3G at all times" WiFi would not function reliably at all "EVERWHERE else".

look to your wireless router, checm the SSID security settings, if you are using a older router - abour a yar or two old it is possible that the phone is triyng to use a security setup that your router either does not have configured or does not support, like WPA /WPA2 Tkip security on the phone and WEP on your router. The two will not connect.

30 of 44 (9,491 Views)