Posted Feb 22, 2014
9:04:21 AM
U-verse installation left me with no phone, and internet doesn't work

The entire U-Verse conversion has been a colossal failure from the moment it started.  AT&T representatives came into my office multiple times per week for months, despite a No Soliciting sign on the door, and finally angered me to the point that I agreed to the conversion just to get them to leave me alone.  I didn't want to switch.  I need to make that very clear.  I did not want to switch because I knew it would not work out well.  With all due respect to the people who are just trying to do their jobs to put food on the table, they are very bad at their jobs.

Regardless, the day of the conversion comes.  The installation seems to go without a hitch.  The man finishes, and I attempt to make a phone call.  You see, I work at an office.  Believe it or not, from time to time while working at an office you have to make phone calls.  So you can imagine my dismay when the phone didn't work.  Ok, I should clarify.  The phone worked.  It just worked about as well as a car with no engine or tires.  I'll give you an example.  I dialed a client's cell phone number.  The first thing that I notice is the overwhelming amount of static on the line.  It rang once, then went to their voicemail box.  However, as their voicemail recording was playing, the phone continued to ring.  It was as if there were two separate phone calls being made to the same number.  Sure enough, as the client's outgoing message is still playing, the client answers her phone.  So now she's on the line, listening to her own outgoing message, and I'm trying to apologize and explain to her that our entire conversation, static and all, may be available for her to listen to on her voicemail after we hang up, because apparently I'm just that terrible at dialing numbers and speaking over the phone.

After that fiasco, I decide to investigate potential causes for the problem.  Lo and behold, I find my phone line box and it has been left wide open, with exposed wires pouring out like fake guts in a bad horror movie.  While I am no master phone technician, I deduce that perhaps the phone box should be closed.  I close it, and proceed to contact AT&T about my problem.

By now you have probably figured out that I am unhappy with my telephone service.  Fortunately, I just got a brand new modem with full U-Verse capablities, so I feel confident that I can contact an AT&T representative over the computer and handle the problem.  I open my web browser, attempt to Google AT&T's online help site (because attempting to find anything by visiting att.com is like repeatedly bashing your hand with a tack  hammer), and discover that something is horribly wrong with my internet.  And while I'm no IT expert, I suspect foul play with my firewall settings or something along those lines.  Regardless, using my brain I am able to circumvent the problem with my computer and enter a live chat with an AT&T customer service rep.  The conversation we had was aggravating and long.  All you need to know about it is that at the end, after finally hearing my pleas for help with my phone, the man I was speaking to gave me a phone number to call for help. 

"My phone doesn't work," I replied.

Radio silence ensued.

(I should clarify here that it wasn't actually radio silence.  That is just a saying.  But I want to make it clear so that AT&T doesn't transfer me to their radio repair department.)

Fine.  I went home and called from there.  I was set up for an appointment 4 days later, and told that I would be charged for it.  While I refuse to pay for the repairs, I do appreciate them finding the time to fix their problem.  Nevermind the fact that they're leaving a small business with no phone.  Oh, and I should mention that I work in flood restoration.  Anybody seen what the weather has been like in the midwest recently?  Well, let me tell you, working in flood restoration during flood season with no phones to take customers' calls is really, really, really crippling to a small business. 

So why am I writing all of this?  First of all, to find out if anybody has any advice on how to repair this issue.  I do not have time to wait for AT&T to come fix this.  I am hemorrhaging money right now.  The second reason I am writing this is to warn anybody that when AT&T tells you that you have to switch to U-Verse, you should put a contract in their hands that stipulates a lawsuit should their installation be injurious to your business in any way.  I cannot truly describe in words how awful this has been.  I never wanted to switch, AT&T badgered me into submission, and now I am paying for their incompetence.  You've been warned.

U-verse installation left me with no phone, and internet doesn't work

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014 9:28:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Click on the hyperlink in my sig for AT&T Customer Care.  They are an escalation team that is higher than regular CS who can help you get this resolved.  Send them a PM with your info and your  problem and they will get in touch with you.  Watch the blue envelope at the top of the forum page because they will reply to you via PM as well.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: U-verse installation left me with no phone, and internet doesn't work