For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
DD™'s profile

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

Thursday, July 10th, 2014 8:24 PM

"Resolving Host" Issue in Google Chrome - New AT&T Uverse Customer

SInce upgrading from DSL to Uverse Internet last week, I've been experiencing long page load times (5+ seconds), with the "Resolving Host" message displayed in Chrome browser's status bar during loading of the site.  Additionally, some site do not load properly; i.e., the page is blank, or only loads partially.

Never had this problem in the 6 years I was a AT&T DSL customer prior to last weeks change to Uverse.

In researching this problem, there are suggested solutions, which I have yet to try.

Before attenpting my own troubleshooting, I'm curious specifically if any AT&T Uverse customers have had this specific problem, and if they found a workable solution.  

DD™

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

DD™ - Yes, I and others have found improvement by changing DNS server to Google -  8.8.8.8.

The combination of chrome & 8.8.8.8 is great. At first, it seemed like the page was loading before my finger left the button.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

10 years ago

@aviewer wrote:

DD™ - Yes, I and others have found improvement by changing DNS server to Google -  8.8.8.8.

The combination of chrome & 8.8.8.8 is great. At first, it seemed like the page was loading before my finger left the button.

aviewer:

thanks for the prompt reply.

Out of curiosity, what is the cause of this problem? Are the AT&T DNS servers not compatible with Chrome?  And if not, why hasn't AT&T made a change in their DNS servers which would enable their Internet services to work correctly for customers using Google Chrome?  In doing my research, it appears that Chrome is not the only browser experiencing this problem with the AT&T Uverse in-home WIFI product.

I'm confused and frustrated.

DD™

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

10 years ago

For reference, I also just found this...

Disable Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) - "Resolving Host" Issue in Google Chrome

If anybody else has tried this with success, please let us know.  

FYI, I will be attempting some of these "solutions"  in 2 weeks when I return to the site of the PC using U-Verse having this issue (my Dads home).

DD™

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Domain name service (DNS) is one of the things every internet service provider (ISP), like AT&T, is supposed to provide.  AT&A's DNS is really, really bad.  

So, most of the "solutions" are really ways to use someone else's DNS.  And yess, since some people seem to be quite able to provide effective, fast DNS, these solutions work.

No one really knows why AT&T chooses, as policy, to provide poor DNS.  May be they can make an extra 0.00001 cents per share that way?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

I missed DDs previous two posts.

I was having slow Safari about the time that Chrome was introduced. There were also a number of posts complaining about slow Macs at that time.

I found that I liked Chrome much better than Safari & when I changed the DNS (based on previous recommendations) it was incredible.. Maybe I have since gotten used to it.

I think I prefer Firefox then Chrome. There is a new release of Mac OS that I installed the Beta version where the bookmarks are in the side margin, like mail. I much prefer the booknmarks in folders in a taskbar.

Regarding the IPv6 - There is a thread that says it is needed to access some web sites likemedicare. I did have the problem & resolved it by turning on IPv6.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Can-t-connect-to-medicare-gov/m-p/4060398#M42627

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Are you changing DNS at the router, or in the browser settings?  I am on a Mac

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

10 years ago

I chanaged the DNS server in the browser settings.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I had the same problem with Resolving Host and after trying all the suggested solutions I finally solved it by uninstalling the McAfee Security software which is provided with Uverse. Switched to Microsoft Security Essentials and now everything loads fast.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.