For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help connecting your router?
silverbeowoulf's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, August 3rd, 2013 3:30 PM

Uverse is blocking my outbound SMTP email

I know I have seen posts before on this and I do not want to hijack other threads about this. If an AT&T community manager can help me out and get the outbound SMTP port opened it would be great because the tech support people are telling me I need to go to a paid provider to get this accomplished.

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

10 years ago

One more dumb question:  Does the user have to have an email client installed with the Bellsouth email account set up before the email send code will work?  Or, does a laptop know the smtp credentials simply by virtue of its access to the internet?  I assume the latter is correct. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

A laptop or computer does not know any smtp from the internet.........
Sorry to say. You will need to have whatever client you are using
configured with whatever port AT&T specifies.

--
Keith Bender

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

10 years ago

If I take my laptop to the home of a friend whose Uverse is blocking port 25, I cannot send, as I am connecting to the internet via her bellsouth wifi.  She can take her laptop to her office which uses something other than Bellsouth, connects to the internet over their wifi, and sends without a hiccup.  So, I am confused, as it doesn't seem to be depending upon the setup credentials on her computer.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

You do not need separate client software if your software performs those functions (i.e. makes the SMTP connection and speaks the SMTP protocol to the host).

However, if your client performs those functions, then that means that your software must:

1. Connect to a port (other than 25 if blocked)
  2. Create an SSL tunnel if required by the SMTP host/port you're using
  3. Perform authentication if required by the SMTP host/port you connected to

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

i was recently switched to uverse as i was talked into geetting the new fiber optic modem. been a nightmare but i am finally online

however uverse is blocking my outgoing smtp server

my outlook use to work perfectly and the smtp setting was : outbound.att.net

now i can't send out anything - it sits in my outbox 

any help wouyld be great - like the correct outgoing smtp server setting

thx

steve

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

Are you configured to directly send to the receipient's SMTP server or to a mail relay host (such as outbound.att.net)?  If the former, and you won't change, then you'd have to get port 25 unblocked, which you'll have to request of AT&T.

If you're configured to use a relay host, then switch to the alternate ports and authenticate.  See http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401570 for more information.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

well after being hung up on twice and never called back by the tech support people and having the live chat freeze up and that guy never calling back i had the bright idea to look at my smart phone ( the phone is smarter than the people i was dealing with) and looking at the settings on my email there

ta da - all i had to do was switch my outgoing smtp to port 465 and the security to ssl/tls (instead of auto) and wonders never cease my outlook is back working aand sending emails again

this was with the smtp server set to : outbound.att.net

amazing - i know diddly squat and am as far from a techie as you can get - but i guess common sense and a little logical thinking still works.. thank you to those who replied and for the chats i saw previously of those with the same issues - you gave me the courage to muck around and dyi..by the way a little advice to any that try my way - make sure to write down what you had before for settings - it will give you a little confidence that you can undo your own goof ups - lol

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I used these Outgoing SMTP settings in Entourage and it worked:

SMTP server: smtpout.secureserver.net
Deselect "SMTP service requires ...(SSL)"
Check "Override default SMTP port", and type in "80".

Check SMTP server requires authentication" and "Use same settings as receiving mail server"

That worked for me, and I didn't have to contact AT&T, thank goodness.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

9 years ago

laurainnorthernca, you are connecting to some strange mail server.  Glad you got it working.

Mentor

• 

55 Messages

9 years ago

JerrerMC, what procedure can be followed to get port 25 unblocked?  How difficult? Is it even possible?  I understand why it is blocked, but I don't have anything nefarious going on--just want to be able to send emails to 180 little old ladies who have signed up for a golf tournament!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.