Posted Oct 17, 2013
6:53:19 PM
U-Verse Installed today - Internet works on some computers, but not others.

This morning both of my computers, which are wired (not on a router) worked just fine.  Now that u-verse is installed, my Dell laptop works, but my Mac mini barely works.  For example, when I try to "google" a term, it does nothing for about 2 minutes, then it reacts.

I don't think it's something wrong with the u-verse service, as it works just fine on my other computer.  I tried switching the computers (and thier wired connections) and the same thing happens. 

Is there a setting or a reset that I need to do on the mac?

U-Verse Installed today - Internet works on some computers, but not others.

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2013 7:27:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You may want to try going into the Network Preferences (available in System Preferences).  Make sure you select the correct adapter (Wired ether ner or wifi/wireless) and also make sure the icon in the lower left corner is the "open lock" so you can make changes.  Once you have done those, click on the "Advanced" button in the lower right corner and on the "TCP/IP" tab, hit the "Renew DHCP Lease button".  You can also check your DNS settings tab to see what (if any) DNS servers you are using.  I know I have mine set to use:

1. 4.2.2.1  (Level 3)
  2. 8.8.4.4  (Google)
  3. 208.67.220.220  (OpenDNS)
  4. 192.168.1.5  (My UVerse RG)

By forcing the list like this, I make the faster public DNS servers the first in my list, and I generally don't have any issues with lags or delays.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: U-Verse Installed today - Internet works on some computers, but not others.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 19, 2013 1:41:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for the advise Geekboy...but no luck.

I took my mac mini to the Apple store earlier today to have the guys at the Genius bar take a look at it, and it worked perfectly fine there.  I brought it back to the house, and the same issue remains.  It takes about 1 minutes and 20 seconds just to get Google to load.  My PC, which is running right next to it, loads almost instantly. 

Any other ideas for setting on the mac?

Thanks in advance.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 19, 2013 3:35:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
mweinbach - I am surprised that geekboy's suggestion did not help. I changed long ago to Google (8.8.8.8- and Google Chrome for browser. It seemed so fast that I would get a response before my finger left the button.

Look in Chrome preferences/settings - Advanced settings - privacy - Enable these -

Use a web service to help resolve navigation errors

Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar

Predict network actions to improve page load performance

Enable phishing and malware protection

Also, clear browser data with the button there.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 19, 2013 4:17:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

If the page is loading, but after a long delay, then there is a TCP/IP issue.  It could be routing, it could be DNS, it could be one of a number of issues.

Is your Mac connected via ethernet cable or via wifi (or both)?  My MBP is normally connected via etherner cable, but the wifi also connects, and sometimes, especially if the cable comes loose, it will switch from ethernet to wifi.  WHen the switch happens, it does wait for a timeout on the last packet sent via ethernet before it tries to resend it via wifi, but still that is on the order of seconds, not 10's of seconds.

If you are always using wifi, you might try disabling the ethernet, so that MacOS will not try to use it at all.  If you are using the ethernet, you might try the same for wifi.  If you are usig both, then I suggest that you look at the order of the connections in the network preferences.  Make sure that the one you want to use the most is on the top of the list (so it is the preferred connection).  I have mine ordered Ethernet, wifi, Paralles Adapter (not connected), Firewire (inactive), Bluetooth PAN (inactive), and Thunderbolt Bridge (inactive).  Notice that the last 3 are inactive so MacOS will never use them.  If any of them are at the top of the list, or at least above the current active connection, then they will cause some monor delays.

In truth, your issue still sounds like a DNS issue, where yoru computer is trying to talk to a DNS server that is either not responding or not finding the server address, so it fails over to a secondary server, and maybe evn a tertiary server before it actually finds the address to route to.  What happens if you open a "Terminal" window and type the command "nslookup www.google.com".  Copy the output of that and paste it in a reply here.  Also, if you can execute the command "traceroute www.google.com" and paste the output of that in the reply too.  Those two commands should tell us how your system is finding www.google.com in DNS, and tehn show us a rough idea of the routing your Mac takes to get there too.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 21, 2013 4:32:45 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi mweinbach,

Just wanted to check in with you to see if you were still noticing issues with your Mac. If so, the information that GeekBoy provided about the nslookup and tracert give a good indication on any possible routing issues. Also, when you notice the problem, have you ever had any issues accessing your gateway at http://192.168.1.254? Let us know how it is going.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.