Posted Feb 24, 2014
Max Plus Upload Speed?

I currently have a symmetrical 3Mb down/ 3Mb up Internet service that is primarily used for Cloud backup of photography work.  The upload direction is quite heavily used, sometimes uploading continuously for 2-3 days for backing up a large photo shoot.

Today I was sold new U-verse TV + Internet and now wondering if the salesperson was correct about the "Max Plus" data plan "blowing away" my current service.  While 18Mb down sounds great, is it true the U-verse plan only provides 1.5Mb upload?

From the contract, it looks as if I have 3 days to cancel but once service is installed in a couple weeks, I'm committed to 12 mo. contract.

Max Plus Upload Speed?

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 24, 2014
(0)
Guru

They promise speeds up to 1.5 Mbps, but ymmv. It could be lower, it could be higher. Actual network traffic, sometimes including IPTV traffic, can have an effect on this number. I've included a few speed-tests with servers in different locations. Note that in each test, both speeds are above the promised 18Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up. Line quality, distance from the V-RAD, etc. can have an effect on your U-Verse experience. 

These two tests were taken while streaming an forced "HD" stream on Netflix.

Re: Max Plus Upload Speed?

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 26, 2014
(0)
Mentor

Max Plus speed is up to 18/2

Max Power is up to 45/6

Max Turbo is up to 24/5

Max is up to 12/2

Elite is up to 6/1.5

Pro is up to 3/ 0.5~1

(1)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 26, 2014
(1)
Guru

AT&T probably doesn't publish upload speeds because different flavours of U-Verse offer different upload speeds. These are all 'up to' speeds. 

For AT&T ADSL2+ U-Verse Service

Max: 12 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up

Elite: 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up

Pro: 3 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up

For AT&T VDSL U-Verse Service Verified with CS

Max Power: 45 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up 

Max Turbo: 24 Mbps down and 3 Mbps up

Max Plus: 18 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up

Max: 12 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up

Elite: 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up

Pro: 3 Mbps down and 1 Mbps

For AT&T FTTP U-Verse Full Fibre Service available only in Austin, TX. Verified with CS

If an FTTP tier exists for the speed, it's the same as VDSL U-Verse

GigaPower 'Pre-Gbit': 300 Mbps down and 300 Mbps up*  

GigaPower: 1Gbit down and 1Gbit up*

(Available beginning Mid-2014, All GigaPower customers will be upgraded from 300Mbit to 1Gbit speeds.)

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for all the feedback on uplink speeds for the different service levels.  

I talked to ATT sales and they can only guarantee me the "Max Plus" package now but at install time I can have the tech check line quality for support of faster speeds.  Hopefully faster will be available considering AT&T just installed the Uverse box and all new wiring to houses on my block.

Wow, wish I had the all fiber setup like Austin. :smileyhappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014
(0)
Employee
If the distance is less than 2200 feet with good max sync and SN the tech can chat for upgrade to 32 M profile allowing Max Turbo (24/3). If desired can upgrade cost is $10 more per month compared to Max Plus.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014
(0)
Mentor

Remember they raised the upload size to better compete (haha) w/ other provider a few weeks ago.

Max Power is 45/6

Max Turbo is 24/5

Max Plus is 18/2

Max is 12/2

Elite is 6/1.5

Pro is 3/1

Speedtest,netSpeedtest,net

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 27, 2014
(0)
ACE - Expert

They sure did!!  Didn't know about that.  I have max 18 and I'm getting 21.60 down and 2.05 up.  Hummm

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 10, 2014
(0)
Tutor

Just to follow-up  now that I've had Uverse installed...

All went well.   AT&T sales system limited selling to 18Mb but the installer worked with the network staff and they tested my line for 32/5 profile instead of the 25/2.  It worked and they were able to bump up my service from the 18Mb to the 24Mb.

He also told me I'm on +/-1500 feet of copper line.  He was able to get the 32/5 profile working after a few attempts with network config.  It's running over 1 pair wires.  Apparently if I were to upgrade to 45Mb they would use 2 pair.

Thanks for everyone's help here knowing what to ask for!

Screen Shot 2014-03-10 at 5.17.02 PM.png

-Mike

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 10, 2014
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes, at 1500' with good sync of over 40 Mbps on a single pair, you probably could qualify for Max Turbo.  Yes, it does involved a dual-pair installation with a Motorola NVG 589 as the RG.  Sync rate is 55/6 for HSIA max service of 45/6.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.