Posted Mar 11, 2014
How to get POWER (45/6) in North Dallas?

I've tried calling customer care, that was worthless.  Got an email saying it was successful...yet I'm still on 24/3.

I've tried PM'ing an AT&T rep (@SadathCS) on the forum and haven't heard from this person in 3 days, sent another PM yesterday.

I know I can get it because a neighbor got it.

Any advice?

How to get POWER (45/6) in North Dallas?

[ Edited ]
12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2014
(0)
ACE - Master

PMing an individual AT&T employee is not recommended.  You never know when they're on vacation, etc.

Instead click this AT&T logoU-verse Customer Service link to send a Private Message (PM) to the AT&T customer service team. You can expect a reply via return PM (the blue envelope envelopein the upper right hand corner of this site) in a business day or three.

If you were installed at less than Power, you will need a visit from a technician to upgrade you to Power.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: How to get POWER (45/6) in North Dallas?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2014
(0)
Tutor

Thanks, I'll give that a try.  Below are my UV Realtime stats, thinking I can get 45/6 based on the below once they add another pair.

I talked to the techician who enabled my neighbor, he referred me to customer care which didn't really help.

ip profile.JPG

bitloading.JPG

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2014
(0)
ACE - Master

You are right on the edge.  Your attenuation is making for a distance estimate of 2200' which is the upper limit on distance to be qualified for Power.  Your current line is actually not quite good enough at the moment to run the 32/5 profile, but you may get by with it as long as things don't get any worse, but it is plenty good enough for one half of the 55/6 profile.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2014
(0)
Employee

Power requires a bonded install install and the 589 RG, you have a 3801.

Based on UVrealtime I would expect you to be denied.
on the bases of loop length is over 2200 feet, UVrealtime calculation is generally off by up to 25%,
your real loop length is probably closer to 2700 feet disqualifying the POWER bonded install.
There was a post of UVrealtime stating customer at 1900 feet, tech measurement 2400 feet.

An example from http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29013355-Trying-to-learn-qualify-for-Power-Tier
" While we were talking I showed him UV Realtime; he had never seen it. When he saw the estimated distance to the VRAD as 1800 on UVRT he was surprised because his instruments were showing 2180 to the VRAD. These readings were taken after the wiring cleanup but before the 589 install. After the 589 install his reading was still 2180. I don't know what UVRT would have read because as we know, UVRT doesn't read a 589 yet. He did say that a AT&T Engineer might qualify me for a bonded pair but because it is so close to the 2200 ft limit (?) it would be the luck of the draw to get qualified for Power tier service based on that reading."

Note 1800 feet UVrealtime versus 2180 tech measured is difference of 21%

This is supported with SN margin less than 15 (11.2) and UVrealtime recommended dropping profile to 25M from 32M.

Your bits loading graph looks clean, no evidence of line issues that could be improved to qualify for POWER.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2014
(0)
ACE - Master

During my install, the tech's tool was saying 0', the guy on the phone told him it should be 2000' from (mis)reading the neighborhood diagram.  I can tell you that the actual distance is about 400' which is about what UVrealtime comes up with.

UVrealtime doesn't know the wire gauge, etc. and makes an educated guess using a formula derived from a database of information.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2014
(0)
Tutor

@My thoughts, my neighbor just go this and he is further from the VRAD, I'm about 100' closer.  According to the AT&T tech that was there on Friday getting him setup, I should be good to go, just trying to figure out how I get AT&T to help me out at this point.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2014
(0)
ACE - Master

rammerjammeryellowhammer wrote:

..., just trying to figure out how I get AT&T to help me out at this point.

Either click on the PM link I posted earlier, or you can call sales directly.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2014
(0)
Employee
Rammerjammeryel....your still looking at physical distance not wire loop length, depending on how ran the neighbor could have a shorter loop length.

As Uvrealtime is an estimate, and not the measurement used by Uverse to determine eligibility, even if within 10% of correct, as currently listed at 2200 feet ( the Max allowed), adding 10% places you at 2420, too far for bonded power.

When 17a and vectoring is released (hopefully 2nd half of this year) allowing for more bandwidth over longer distances your situation will change allowing for POWER, but those closer will be eligible for 75M internet instead of 45M.

My question is your neighbor on the same pole or ped as you or a different one?
Serving terminal are roughly 200 feet apart, if wiring is from the other direction, neighbor would be 200 feet closer, at your margin that is enough to make a difference.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2014
(0)
Tutor

JefferMC wrote:

rammerjammeryellowhammer wrote:

..., just trying to figure out how I get AT&T to help me out at this point.

Either click on the PM link I posted earlier, or you can call sales directly.

I did (thanks btw), still pending a response.

my thoughts wrote:
Rammerjammeryel....your still looking at physical distance not wire loop length, depending on how ran the neighbor could have a shorter loop length.

As Uvrealtime is an estimate, and not the measurement used by Uverse to determine eligibility, even if within 10% of correct, as currently listed at 2200 feet ( the Max allowed), adding 10% places you at 2420, too far for bonded power.

When 17a and vectoring is released (hopefully 2nd half of this year) allowing for more bandwidth over longer distances your situation will change allowing for POWER, but those closer will be eligible for 75M internet instead of 45M.

My question is your neighbor on the same pole or ped as you or a different one?
Serving terminal are roughly 200 feet apart, if wiring is from the other direction, neighbor would be 200 feet closer, at your margin that is enough to make a difference.

Not sure whats different, he's on a different street, but a few houses down.  The tech said he thought I should be able to get it as well.  Guess I'll find out as soon as I get AT&T to help me.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 11, 2014
(0)
Employee
When call,chat or PM they can run several different tests that list a loop length. The question is on those tests (not uvrealtime) what is the distance stated, beyond limit, denied
Your SN margin and UVrealtime recommend to lower Profile to 25M does not make me hold out hope

If you drew a map of neighborhood, placed the vrad and consider all the possible wire combinations.
To me a neighbor is someone on either side of my residence, someone on another street may be in my neighborhood, but I would not classify as my neighbors. Additionally if block is 500 feet being on another street could be 500 feet closer or farther. Bonded installs can be either 55M/6M for POWER internet OR to provide 25M profile and 18M internet.

Of course, without specific details this is just a what if... type of general statements.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 12, 2014
(0)
Tutor

Once they add the 2nd pair, 25*2 = 50, so I should be able to get 45 is my understanding.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 12, 2014
(0)
Employee
Conditions for POWER include must support 32M on a single pair (you do not, recommend is 25M)
Must be less than 2200 feet, a condition of 32M single pair profile ( I suspect you are not(
Must have an extra port available at VRAD for bonded (do not know port availability)
Must have extra binding post available at serving terminal (do not know if available)
From bonded inids, must be single family dwelling not a MDU (multi dwelling unit such as apartment complex)
SN margin ideally 15 or better your currently less than 12, almost 11.
Max sync rate minimum 120% of 32M profile, generally set at 80M total for bonded as bonded profile is 55M to provide 45M POWER. Without extra headroom, can expect freezing, pixel on TV, errors on line causing RG to reboot.

It is better to have stable slower service, than constant problems with marginal service.
If denied, wait for bandwidth improvements when 17a and vectoring is released for upgrade.
Just my thoughts.....