Posted Jun 1, 2014
11:32:43 PM
Horrible experience for installing new service - Still Waiting on Resolution

I am going through the most horrible time in my life, dealing with AT&T to get the u-verse internet service installed in my home.

I have called in 22 times, escalated 7 times and have even requested an executive complaint. But there is still no resolution to my issue.

After a lot of calls, somehow I was able to figure out that the issue is with "availability of ports". When I brought this up, AT&T told me that "WE NEVER PUT PORTS FOR JUST ONE CUSTOMER. WE PUT THEM IN A BATCH OF 100". And disconnected the phone saying we are waiting on approval. On my 22nd call the rep tells me that there is a port issue and an external wiring issue that needs to be resolved and we are working on it. We do not have a definitive timeline as to when this will be resolved. 

I have been waiting for almost a month now, and still these people cannot get a simple wiring and port issue resolved. Apparently, all my neighbors have internet and also a lot of people applying after me have got internet. Not sure what AT&T has against me :smileyhappy:. I would definately say "SHAME ON YOU AT&T, SHAME ON YOU". Being such a big company and being in business for so long, you folks can't even resolve one simple wiring and port issue. What kind of backog management do you guys have? SHAME ON YOU

To add to my pain (already a lot), the only provider in my area is AT&T. When I told AT&T rep this, they came back on me and told me "NOBODY IS STOPPING OTHER PROVIDERS TO PROVIDE SERVICE". Now why would time warner and Verizon invest millions putting in lines just for a single customer??? Don't you guys understand that this is not the way you talk to your customers. Monopoly can't stay for long and I am promising you, the day there is another provider in my area, I am switching my service. SO BEWARE YOU AT&T FOLKS. SHAME ON YOU SHAME ON YOU.

When I went to a store to seek for a resolution, the store manager asked me to put in another order. Not sure why, but he promised me that this would help me resolve the issue. Now TO ADD TO MY PAIN, I have two orders to deal with and still no internet. SHAME ON YOU AT&T SHAME ON YOU

To speak about your customer service reps -- some are good, but some are so pathetic. I was talking to one of your folks on my 16th or 17th call, and at the end the rep asked me if I had more questions and I said yes -- "can you tell me if the problem is in installing ports, from your experience generally how much time does it take?" -- AND to my surprise, and do u know what she responded -- Sure, thanks for your time and it was a pleasure speaking with you, and that lady disconnected the phone on my face :smileysurprised: WOW what a customer service. SHAME ON YOU AT&T SHAME ON YOU

Further, I want to ask two simple questions:

1. If you are unable to provide service for so long, why din't you tell me upfront that it will take such long time?? Is your engineering management so bad, that they cannot predict the timelines??

2. Its okay if you din't tell me upfront, but then, when the installation technician came to my house, WHY ON THE EARTH DID THEY INSTALL THE MODEM AND RELATED DEVICES?? Why cudn't they figure it out that the service won't be available??

SHAME ON YOU AT&T SHAME ON YOU

I have a much longer story and I can go on.....but if any manager or SOMEONE WHO IS A DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY is reading this they should definately understand a few things:

1. My english is not so bad that I cannot put my point through

2. Please escalate my service order to the top of field technicians work orders for tomorrow so that this is the first thing they can work on and get resolved. You can always pull up my orders from my phone number on this forums account

3. Send me an email explaining why the issue cannot be resolved and provide a concrete timeline as to when will it be OR provide me with a definitive answer if you are not capable of giving service at my address

4. Send me an email explaining how will I compensate for the time that I lost (I WORK FROM HOME) and the pain and agony I have been going through

5. Send me an email suggesting alternatives, if any, that AT&T can provide

If you cannot invest time and effort in the (5) things above - unfortunately I'll have to again repeat:

Horrible experience for installing new service - Still Waiting on Resolution

18 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
Replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 2, 2014 6:14:53 AM
(0)
Employee
Have you considered

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/wirelesshomephone.html#fbid=PlV_YL6yAD-

o In the 25 percent of AT&T's wireline customer locations where it's currently not economically feasible to build a competitive IP wireline network, the company said it will utilize its expanding 4G LTE wireless network -- as it becomes available -- to offer voice and high-speed IP Internet services. The company's 4G LTE network will cover 99 percent of all in-region customer locations. AT&T's 4G LTE network offers speeds competitive with, if not higher than, what is available on wired broadband networks today. And in many places, AT&T's 4G LTE service will be the first high speed IP broadband service available to many customers."

from http://www.att.com/gen-mobile/press-room?pid=23506
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Horrible experience for installing new service - Still Waiting on Resolution

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 2, 2014 9:51:26 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yes. I got a verizon device as a backup, but 4G LTE can never ever beat a connected wire line. They can never offer the service and speeds as the wired ones do. RDP on 4G LTE has its own glitches and don't get me started on that.....

"In the 25 percent of AT&T's wireline customer locations where it's currently not economically feasible to build a competitive IP wireline network,"

To your this point -- Is AT&T so naive that after being in service for so many years and serving so many customers, they can't event tell me after "1 MONTH" of research that "THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO BUILD A COMPETITIVE IP WIRELINE NETWORK". 

Again -- SHAME ON YOU AT&T SHAME ON YOU

Re: Horrible experience for installing new service - Still Waiting on Resolution

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 2, 2014 9:56:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

Is there any community manager or someone else who is a DECISON MAKING AUTHORITY reading this and is able to respond to my original post??

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 2, 2014 10:51:31 PM
(0)
Employee
I am sorry but this is a community forum.... the means of contacting a direct a direct emoloyee who may be able to assist are by calling 1.800.288.2020 best Monday to Friday 8 am to 7 pm for US based call centers.
May chat online or sent a PM to CustomerCare group for liaisons group to work with various departments. Please note to allow 2 to 3 business days not counting weekends for a reply. Include name account number best time to reach you a ohone number and an email address.

if this is not an address issue but a port availability issue may be waiting for someone to cancel service if cannot expand service.

Is Uverse TV service available at the address... yes vdsl from vrad... normally 192 ports are you in a crowded MDU apartment or condo area.

if uverse tv service is not available then this is an adsl2+ served from CO or IRAD ... provides a longer distance meaning more accounts eligible than a smaller area but still limited connections.

what is the best speed available. ... slower the speed the farther the distance.
Uverse as either vdsl or adsl is distance based quality of line service.
if ports are full can request to be notified when an opening exists.

if your issue is one of address need to call and request address verification claim be opened to verify if service and type of service available.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 3, 2014 5:02:53 AM
(0)
Tutor

"

I am sorry but this is a community forum.... the means of contacting a direct a direct emoloyee who may be able to assist are by calling 1.800.288.2020 best Monday to Friday 8 am to 7 pm for US based call centers.
May chat online or sent a PM to CustomerCare group for liaisons group to work with various departments. Please note to allow 2 to 3 business days not counting weekends for a reply. Include name account number best time to reach you a ohone number and an email address.

"

Have alreday done this 22 times. Read my initial post for my experiences with this.

If this is a community forum, shouldn't this be the place where I should be talking about my experience with AT&T??

"

if this is not an address issue but a port availability issue may be waiting for someone to cancel service if cannot expand service.

"

It is such a pity that if waiting for someone to cancel, why can't I be informed of the same. Does AT&T have a policy of waiting silently before someone else cancels (if ports not available)  to provide someone a new service. It would be ridiculuous to take in an order and keep a new customer on hold, just because waiting for someone else to cancel for availability - and that too without telling the new customer of the situation

"

Is Uverse TV service available at the address... yes vdsl from vrad... normally 192 ports are you in a crowded MDU apartment or condo area.

"

Yes, that is what I was told of that Uverse TV is available. And NO I am not in an apartment or condo area. I am in an independent house. VRAD is an AT&T acronym - I had to google that up to understand what it is

"

if uverse tv service is not available then this is an adsl2+ served from CO or IRAD ... provides a longer distance meaning more accounts eligible than a smaller area but still limited connections.

"

Not applicable or pertinent to this discussion I believe.

"

what is the best speed available. ... slower the speed the farther the distance.
Uverse as either vdsl or adsl is distance based quality of line service.
if ports are full can request to be notified when an opening exists.

"

45 Mbps I believe. I have opted for an 18 Mbps connection though. Cannot request to be notified because even AT&T is not sure if ports are full. If need to put a request to be notified, why is my order still active and why is AT&T working on it. They can deny service upfront and add me to a notification list - that is what a good company's good customer service would be I think. 

"

if your issue is one of address need to call and request address verification claim be opened to verify if service and type of service available.

"

So you are intending to say that I need to go and figure out what the issue is and then take action accordingly. If address, request verfication claim OR if port add to notification list. I believe I am a customer and not an AT&T employee/technician/customer service rep and that is why this is not on me but on AT&T to tell me what the issue is so that I can take corrective action. Don't you think that's more prudent and right. I say this because I have no way of independently figuring out what the issue might be.

Also these things are which could have been brought up by AT&T as a service provider to me when I first put the order in for a connection. How can a customer on his own figure out what the problem is without the service provider telling them upfront.

And that too after 1 month of wait?? That is not acceptable at all. 

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 3, 2014 6:31:31 AM
(0)
Tutor

Mohit444, you are NOT alone!

I 'upgraded' to U-Verse after experiencing a chronic phone line problem (with AT&T as the service provider) that adversely affected Internet and phone service.  And U-Verse, instead of improving service, service has gotten worse in some ways.  I couldn't get nor receive regional or long distance calls and Internet was slow.

After having a tech come out on Saturday morning, I now have yet another problem.  Although I can now make and receive long distance and regional calls, now the service drops my calls in the middle of a conversation.

Internet is slower than ever and frequently pages fail to load.  And now a new issue since Saturday-- my printer no longer functions wirelessly as it had for the past 3 years!

I'm convinced that AT&T no longer cares.  Before I 'upgraded' to U-Verse, at least half a dozen techs made visits for the same issue.

Since May 22, the date of my installation, I've already had another tech service visit, which has solved none of the problems and added an additonal one.

I've discovered that At&T plans to sell U-Verse in my state to another company, so I wonder if this is the reason for their indifference to my problems.  But for the past year or so, there has always been a problem with service, which has noticeably gotten worse in the last 4 or 5 months.

My only choice is to find another provider (most likely the cable company) before the 30 day period is up.

In short, I just wanted to tell you that it is not just you, Mohit444.  There are a lot of frustrated customers out there.  For instance, I recently found out that no one in my immediate neighborhood uses AT&T anymore.  Hmm, I wonder why?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 3, 2014 8:43:38 AM
(0)
Tutor

I hear you my friend, I hear you.....and that is why from my first post I have been saying:

"SHAME ON YOU AT&T SHAME ON YOU"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 3, 2014 9:21:20 AM
(0)
Teacher
You are most likely getting services either are using Fiber to curb, and that involves the main hub that your service comes from, a splitter, and then a hub. That is where there is a slot and port for each connection and where your service technician should be checking out the quality and connection? Check out this link if you want to learn more, but sometimes it's difficult for the technicians to identify the position or possibly an issue with the port or slot that your connection uses as there are only a certain number of ports inside and once filled they have to upgrade the hub or deny new service to potential customers. I won't go into details more, but work for telecommunications companies in the past and can answer questions if you want to know more, just message me! Fiber to curb is just one of 3 ways to do it, but it is the most popular and most likely what you have? Here is the link?

http://www.google.com/images?q=fiber+to+curb+telecommunications&hl=en&tbm=isch&oq=fiber+to+curb+tele...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 4, 2014 9:40:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

The splitter and local hub seem to be fine (per AT&T technician).

Also:

If they need to deny service -- "WHY TO KEEP A CUSTOMER WAITING FOR A MONTH" -- is it that difficult to figure out that it takes more than a month for a company like AT&T which potentially is full of expert engineers and technicians with loads of experience to back them up. I don't think so. I believe its a different problem - a combination of technical issue (which can be resolved rather easily), and an issue with dispatching technicians to solve it.

What a pity that I am stuck dealing with such a company which has pathetic problem solving skills

Do I need to repeat my tag line (this time I'll change the color and make it bold in case someone helpful notices it):

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 4, 2014 11:59:17 PM
(0)
Teacher
I'm sure that you have noticed by now in dealing with the technicians that many of them by no means classify as expert's in the field they are working. In my own similar problems I had technicians who knew less than I did about their own jobs. They are in my opinion not only not expert's, but many are hired to do a engineering and technical job and that is not what they are. They don't problem solve beyond what the equipment they use tells them, many times they are not aware of how the services are provided or know the location's in which to even logically eliminate potential problems with it. They are paid low hourly wage's to act as an expert, but only a handful that have been doing it for years know what to do without having to call someone and inquire about what to do next (this is what they do as they sit in their trucks for an hour outside your house, wasting your time and money). Also their systems and customer records are not up to date frequently and the technicians have no idea what or where to look for the next potential cause in the service interruption. They get 8 weeks or two months of training and much of it is pointless stuff like pole climbing and other forms of physical activities that don't give them the knowledge to figure out why you're having these issues and what it is to do next. I've had to get veteran technicians numbers to call in the event of another issue, as I don't appreciate keeping a 4 hour window of my time open for some young uninformed employee who can't think outside the box and troubleshoot something on his own and fix it the first time. I had many times that I had 5-6 visits from different technicians and got no resolution to the problem. This is why I no longer have U-Verse, and you are correct. Shame on them for promising services they can't provide or resolve. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, and that's the companies fault for hiring cheap and unqualified applicants! Good luck!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 5, 2014 12:07:05 AM
(0)
Teacher
That is exactly the problem to they won't go out of their way for one customer, as it isn't cost efficient. Yet they still promise the services offered in a contract. They expect you to continue to pay and to eventually resolve it. That is not a good business practice, and not how a service contract operates. You ask ten people a question and get ten different answers, and still no resolution. But they'll gladly keep taking your money or charge you for not paying on time, when they fail to hold up their end of the contract! Ridiculous, and I feel sorry for your situation!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 5, 2014 1:12:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

I hear you my friend, I hear you!!

I will keep posting my experiences here till I get this thing over with.....

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 5, 2014 10:20:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

Ok, so now they say the problem is "NO LIGHT AT ONT"

More confusion - this actually would mean that the outside line has an issue, or maybe even there is no port on the other end to provide connectivity......

Not sure what to do now

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 6, 2014 11:48:34 AM
(0)
Teacher
Only a month? I "upgraded" from 3Mbps DSL to 18Mbps U-verse 3/7/2014. Now my new speed is 0.4-1.1 Mbps!
All the same issues as you, but AT&T refuses to roll a truck and the Corporate Store manager threw me out when I asked about the broken promises by one of his reps. He never answered my question, either.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 6, 2014 4:38:39 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi @mohit4444,

I am so sorry about the issues you have gone through trying to get the U-verse service. We have received your message and look forward to working with you to get this issue resolved.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, we recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 6, 2014 11:39:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

Can you respond back with a list of items and corresponding timelines that we would go through to get this resolved??

I think it is fair enough to ask this because, in my experience and opinion, any problem can be solved by listing the components of the solution and their respective timelines.

Let me know what you think

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 9, 2014 9:40:37 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi mohit4444,

Thank you for your patience and understanding. I was able to work with my team and get everything setup for you on this issue. Because it is account specific, I will convey the information over private message.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, we recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 9, 2014 3:20:46 PM
(0)
Contributor

I can't say enough good things about David T.

I too have been having issues getting new service installed and he has been great providing me updates and following up as promised.  I had been let down by many others prior to him picking up on my issues via this forum.

Tomorrow my install is scheduled and we'll see how the technical side responds. 

Thanks David T. 

Hopefully he is getting your issues resolved too,  it appears he has a handle on it.

Matt G.