Posted Aug 7, 2012
Where's the leak

Any particular reason this site should need almost a half gig of ram?

XPSP3 IE8

This site has been doing this a lot, painfully slow page loads, waiting for offsite objects to load. Closing down IE and reopening site clears the ram, but it slowly eats it up again, even weather.com or youtube is faster than this site. Waiting for CL siggys and adthis servers seems to cause the biggest lag on page loads.

Incase you can't make out the screenshot, the single tab from the forum is above 457 megabytes ram.

screenshot.JPG

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Where's the leak

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 7, 2012
(0)

I use IE8 too and notice that this site hangs and takes forever, sometimes.  One thing that I found was that my virtual memory paging file size had changed and was now too low.  Changed it and all was good.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Where's the leak

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 7, 2012
(0)

dhascall wrote:

I use IE8 too and notice that this site hangs and takes forever, sometimes.  One thing that I found was that my virtual memory paging file size had changed and was now too low.  Changed it and all was good.

Mine is a static 4GB.

I can see where that might be a problem if PF too small, and you have multiple tabs open, but 457 MB of memory for a single tab of what is basically a site with a bunch of text on it? That's ridiculous and sounds like sloppy coding.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 7, 2012
(0)
You could try Firefox or Google Chrome with the AdBlock Plus plugin. That eliminates a lot of the Twitter/Facebook/AdThis stuff and definitely speeds up the page loads.

Also make sure your Cache is enabled ... in IE it is possible to turn off the cache completely, and that will cause long page loads. On the CL sigs, all graphics objects are fully cacheable as long as your cache is enabled.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 7, 2012
(0)

SomeJoe7777 wrote:
You could try Firefox or Google Chrome with the AdBlock Plus plugin. That eliminates a lot of the Twitter/Facebook/AdThis stuff and definitely speeds up the page loads.

Also make sure your Cache is enabled ... in IE it is possible to turn off the cache completely, and that will cause long page loads. On the CL sigs, all graphics objects are fully cacheable as long as your cache is enabled.

Set for 100MB cache right now, only using 39.4MB. Checked for cached items, as far as I can tell all the siggy bits are there, but I still see downloads from both your servers for every page load that contains sigs. I do see something about "cache expires" in the loading strings in the status bar.

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 7, 2012
(0)

Correct, the HTML for the sigs is reloaded for every sig because it is dynamic (changing quotes/taglines/etc.) However, the HTML amounts to only about 2-3 KB per signature.

Your browser will retrieve the graphics for the sigs only once (along with the CSS, Flash Player, and Javascript) and cache them for the lifetime specified by the response headers. On my server, the header is set to 24 hours, so those elements should only get re-requested once every 24 hours from the server. The "cache-expires" that you see in the URLs is to a specific directory on the web server where I have all cacheable content stored. This directory has been specifically configured to do this.

Also, on both the HTML server and the cachable content server, I have configured both to server the content with GZIP compression to reduce bandwidth.  This is particularly helpful with the CSS and the Javascript, frequently compressing the content to 1/4 of its original size.  Note that the Javascript is minimal, it's only there to load the Flash player in my sig.  The other CL sigs have no Javascript.

It is possible to override the caching behavior in IE by setting the Temporary Internet Files settings to "Every time I visit the webpage". This will cause IE to ignore the cache headers from the server and intentionally reload the content on every request.  I recommend this setting be left on "Automatic". This setting is located at Internet Options -> General Tab -> Browsing History section -> Setting button.

Please remember that I really don't think the CL sigs are the source of any problem.  I have taken great pains to design them for minimal bandwidth and minimal browser complexity.  With a primed cache, each CL sig involves less than 5 KB of data transfer (and only about 50 KB with a clean cache).  On the other hand, this entire web page from Lithium is over 1 MB and has a gigantic amount of Javascript on it.

Firefox + AdBlockPlus + Ghostery + FasterFox Lite will get you a rapid browser.  Google Chrome + AdBlockPlus + Ghostery will be just as quick.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2012
(0)

Already set to "Automatic" as well.

What I can't figure out is, why just this site. As I mentioned if I go to Weather.com (for example) which is bloated with flash and scripts, it responds (and loads) quicker than this forum.

I understand that the Sigs are your IP, but why can't they be stored and served from Lithium considering they are an element specifically for this site.

I understand your sig is dynamic (quotes and video) and needs frequent refreshing, but I also see the lag when it's a thread that does not even have your sig. In fact the lag is there even if I go to a page where there are no sigs at all.

I know this site hasbeen faster, but something has changed over the last 3 - 4 months that has affected the way it serves up. Maybe it's Lithium's servers or connection or the efficiency of the coding. Maybe it's AT&T's routing.

I klnow it's not my connection I have a live radio stream I run continuously and there are no hiccups at all in that stream, even while waiting 15 - 25 seconds for a page from this site to load.

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2012
(0)

Computer-Joe wrote:

I understand that the Sigs are your IP, but why can't they be stored and served from Lithium considering they are an element specifically for this site.

I understand your sig is dynamic (quotes and video) and needs frequent refreshing, but I also see the lag when it's a thread that does not even have your sig. In fact the lag is there even if I go to a page where there are no sigs at all.

I know this site hasbeen faster, but something has changed over the last 3 - 4 months that has affected the way it serves up. Maybe it's Lithium's servers or connection or the efficiency of the coding. Maybe it's AT&T's routing.

If there were a mechanism where I could host the sigs at Lithium I probably would, but Lithium offers no way to do that.

The fact that you say that even a page without sigs loads slow is telling.  You might be exactly right that there may be something in AT&T's routing or possibly something else along those lines, like a non-optimal content delivery server (CDN).

You might PM Alex and see if he can have Lithium investigate.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2012
(0)

You guys are talking over my head and sorry to interrupt. But I remember when Pam was around and the forum server was all over the board. Sometimes it would take forever to load, navigation was real slow, and other times there were no problems while running fast. So some of us were running ping and tracer tests to see where the problems were while supplying this info to Pam or Becky. I'm not having problems now in using FF with Ad-block plus but I saved the data in case these type problems surfaced again.

CJ, if you think the server has changed in the last 3-4 months I wonder if running these same ping/tracer tests would show packets lost or where lines are timing out through your tracing route in connecting to the server? I may be off base on this in helping to diagnose your problems and just a thought.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2012
(0)

Hi Computer-Joe,

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce your issue and I have checked specifically on a test machine with XP SP3 and IE8.

I'll contact the tech team and see if some diagnostic tests may help them in tracking down your problem.

Will that be okay?

Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2012
(0)

Phil-101 wrote:

Hi Computer-Joe,

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce your issue and I have checked specifically on a test machine with XP SP3 and IE8.

I'll contact the tech team and see if some diagnostic tests may help them in tracking down your problem.

Will that be okay?

No problem, let er rip.

You can also talk with John who was doing the study last month, he saw first hand when he was looking over my shoulder.

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2012
(0)

I remember that I had a horrendus CPU spike problem on this site that lasted for weeks.  I think it had to do with the hosts. file I have blocking some "undesireable" marketing sites.  The leaking issues I have on IE are with another site (an EM7 enterprise monitoring and ticketing system), but that normally takes quite a few hours (a day or so) to manifest.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2012
(0)

Uniblurb3 wrote:

You guys are talking over my head and sorry to interrupt. But I remember when Pam was around and the forum server was all over the board. Sometimes it would take forever to load, navigation was real slow, and other times there were no problems while running fast. So some of us were running ping and tracer tests to see where the problems were while supplying this info to Pam or Becky. I'm not having problems now in using FF with Ad-block plus but I saved the data in case these type problems surfaced again.

CJ, if you think the server has changed in the last 3-4 months I wonder if running these same ping/tracer tests would show packets lost or where lines are timing out through your tracing route in connecting to the server? I may be off base on this in helping to diagnose your problems and just a thought.

Pinging cingular.lithium.com [208.74.204.154] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 208.74.204.154: bytes=32 time=70ms TTL=241
Reply from 208.74.204.154: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=241

Ping statistics for 208.74.204.154:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 70ms, Maximum = 71ms, Average = 70ms

Tracing route to cingular.lithium.com [208.74.204.154]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     7 ms     8 ms     7 ms  adsl-75-57-151-254.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net [75.57.151.254]
  2     8 ms     8 ms     8 ms  dist1-vlan60.emhril.ameritech.net [68.22.72.130]
  3     7 ms     8 ms     8 ms  12.83.49.174
  4    67 ms    66 ms    66 ms  gar8.sn1ca.ip.att.net [12.123.15.237]
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6    70 ms    78 ms    82 ms  border3.pc1-bbnet1.sje.pnap.net [66.151.144.9]
  7    72 ms    76 ms    73 ms  74.201.87.122
  8    71 ms    70 ms    70 ms  cingular.lithium.com [208.74.204.154]

Trace complete.

Pinging danwilsonsoftware.com [97.74.214.1] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 97.74.214.1: bytes=32 time=78ms TTL=108
Reply from 97.74.214.1: bytes=32 time=77ms TTL=108
Reply from 97.74.214.1: bytes=32 time=78ms TTL=108
Reply from 97.74.214.1: bytes=32 time=77ms TTL=108

Ping statistics for 97.74.214.1:
    Minimum = 77ms, Maximum = 78ms, Average = 77ms

Tracing route to danwilsonsoftware.com [97.74.214.1]

1     7 ms     8 ms     8 ms  adsl-75-57-151-254.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net [75.57.151.254]
  2     8 ms    21 ms    17 ms  dist1-vlan50.emhril.ameritech.net [68.22.72.66]

3     9 ms     8 ms     7 ms  bb1-g0-0.emhril.ameritech.net [151.164.43.82]
  4    22 ms    22 ms    22 ms  cgcil02jt.ip.att.net [12.122.81.21]
  5    22 ms    22 ms    21 ms  192.205.36.30
  6    23 ms    23 ms    47 ms  xe-2-1-0.cr2.ord2.us.above.net [64.125.26.253]
  7    42 ms    42 ms    42 ms  xe-2-0-0.cr2.dfw2.us.above.net [64.125.25.138]
  8    48 ms    48 ms    48 ms  xe-1-2-0.cr2.iah1.us.above.net [64.125.26.134]
  9    90 ms    76 ms    77 ms  xe-0-1-0.mpr4.phx2.us.above.net [64.125.28.73]
 10    78 ms    78 ms    78 ms  209.66.64.6.t01121-04.above.net [209.66.64.6]
 11    79 ms    77 ms    77 ms  be39.trmc0215-01.ars.mgmt.phx3.gdg [184.168.0.73]
 12    77 ms    77 ms    78 ms  be39.trmc0215-01.ars.mgmt.phx3.gdg [184.168.0.73]
 13    77 ms    78 ms    78 ms  be100.125.trmd0215-01.ars.mgmt.phx3.gdg [216.69.188.30]
 14    77 ms    89 ms    77 ms  ip-216-69-188-126.ip.secureserver.net [216.69.188.126]
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16    78 ms    79 ms    78 ms  p3nwhg016.shr.prod.phx3.secureserver.net [97.74.214.1]

Trace complete.

Pinging thedanzone.com [208.69.127.62] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 208.69.127.62: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=49
Reply from 208.69.127.62: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=49
Reply from 208.69.127.62: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=49
Reply from 208.69.127.62: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 208.69.127.62:
    Minimum = 40ms, Maximum = 42ms, Average = 40ms

Tracing route to thedanzone.com [208.69.127.62]

1     7 ms     8 ms     8 ms  adsl-75-57-151-254.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net [75.57.151.254]
  2     8 ms     8 ms     8 ms  68.250.251.65
  3     8 ms     8 ms     8 ms  151.164.99.196
  4    21 ms    21 ms    39 ms  cgcil03jt.ip.att.net [12.122.84.93]
  5    22 ms    22 ms    22 ms  att-gw.chicago.savvis.net [192.205.35.42]
  6    23 ms    24 ms    23 ms  cr2-tengig-0-0-5-0.chicago.savvis.net [204.70.195.117]
  7    36 ms    37 ms    36 ms  cr1-bundle-pos2.Washington.savvis.net [204.70.200.90]
  8    37 ms    36 ms    36 ms  ber1-tengige-8-0-0.virginiaequinix.savvis.net [204.70.207.122]
  9    40 ms    39 ms    39 ms  208.138.208.6
 10    41 ms    40 ms    40 ms  mail.revolutionsolutions.net [208.69.127.62]

Trace complete.

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2012
(0)

CJ,

By the way, that last domain you have is incorrect. thedanzone.com is owned by someone else. My server is at the thedanzone.net. This is the server that's at my house.

danwilsonsoftware.com is hosted at GoDaddy and contains all the graphics and other static content.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2012
(0)

JefferMC wrote:

I remember that I had a horrendus CPU spike problem on this site that lasted for weeks.  I think it had to do with the hosts. file I have blocking some "undesireable" marketing sites.  The leaking issues I have on IE are with another site (an EM7 enterprise monitoring and ticketing system), but that normally takes quite a few hours (a day or so) to manifest.

Not getting the CPU swamping, just memory.

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2012
(0)

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

CJ,

By the way, that last domain you have is incorrect. thedanzone.com is owned by someone else. My server is at the thedanzone.net. This is the server that's at my house.

danwilsonsoftware.com is hosted at GoDaddy and contains all the graphics and other static content.

oops :smileyembarrassed:

Pinging thedanzone.net [108.241.204.225] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 108.241.204.225: bytes=32 time=62ms TTL=246
Reply from 108.241.204.225: bytes=32 time=62ms TTL=246
Reply from 108.241.204.225: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=246
Reply from 108.241.204.225: bytes=32 time=61ms TTL=246

Ping statistics for 108.241.204.225:
    Minimum = 61ms, Maximum = 62ms, Average = 61ms

Tracing route to thedanzone.net [108.241.204.225]

1     8 ms     7 ms     8 ms  adsl-75-57-151-254.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net [75.57.151.254]
  2     8 ms     8 ms     8 ms  dist2-vlan60.emhril.ameritech.net [68.22.72.131]
  3     8 ms     8 ms     8 ms  dist1-g2-4.emhril.sbcglobal.net [151.164.53.130]
  4     8 ms     8 ms     8 ms  bb1-g9-0.emhril.sbcglobal.net [151.164.94.162]
  5    40 ms    41 ms    40 ms  12.122.103.113
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7     *        *       49 ms  71.144.128.220
  8     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  9    49 ms    43 ms    42 ms  lio1.xg1-1-1.hstntxpr.hstntx.sbcglobal.net [71.144.128.67]
 10    60 ms    61 ms    60 ms  76-238-185-187.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net [76.238.185.187]
 11    61 ms    61 ms    61 ms  108-241-204-225.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net [108.241.204.225]

Trace complete.

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2012
(0)

Hi Computer-Joe,

I am sending you a PM to request some specific machine information.

This topic will remain open to the public for any comments or ideas which may help.

Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 12, 2012
(0)

Well, who would have known, I guess all the typing in this thread seems to have repaired my computer as the Tab has not gone over 150 MB of memory for three days. Which is still too much for a page full of text and some bitmaps, but at leaslt it aint a half gig anymore. Keeping my fingers crossed.

neon_sign.jpg