Posted Feb 4, 2012
7:25:25 AM
PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!!!

This has happened to me at least 4 times in the last 30 days.

I'm happily replying to a post, typing away, gathering info, copying and pasting, spellchecking, then I hit the "Post" button, and I get the dreaded "read only" message because the freakin' post was moved while I was replying!!!!

:smileymad::smileymad:

On top of that the autosave does not work when that happens so you can not retreive your reply.

:smileymad::smileymad::smileymad:

Please put a move lock on threads that have an open reply window.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!!!

27 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(27)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 4, 2012 7:42:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Computer-Joe - As they say, I feel your pain. Had that happen to me. So, my workaround is highlight my typing & copy it. If it goes bad I recall the reply window & paste it in. A pain, but cuts frustration.

But, I agree there should be a software fix to cover the issue.

But, I have also responded to surveys saying - too many categories. If fewer categories no moves, Only need
admin (billing, paperwork)
Service (quality, not available, signal problems)
Equipment (STB, RG, remote problems)
I do not see a purpose for categories. I just use all posts & scroll down to where I last visited. I have requested all posts include only the last post in a string.

If there is a thought that categories can help find a solution, I think it is a myth - Too many posts - too much overlap. The only way to find anything is a robust search. I'll leave those issues for another time.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM!!!!!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 4, 2012 8:21:11 AM
(0)

Hi Computer-Joe,

I can fully understand your frustration when this occurs.

From the Community perspective, I can see a downside to locking out moves when a reply window is open.

A member might be composing a very long and complex response, or is interrupted and walks away from the computer with the reply window open.  This could cause a substantial delay in moving a message to the proper location.

However, we want the forum platform to be as user friendly as possible and your suggestions are highly valued.

So even though I know the administrators read the posts here, I will be sure to highlight this thread to their attention.  There are some good suggestions here from both Computer-Joe and aviewer.

Thanks!

Phil-101 • Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 4, 2012 9:30:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Phil-101 wrote:

Hi Computer-Joe,

I can fully understand your frustration when this occurs.

From the Community perspective, I can see a downside to locking out moves when a reply window is open.

A member might be composing a very long and complex response, or is interrupted and walks away from the computer with the reply window open.  This could cause a substantial delay in moving a message to the proper location.

However, we want the forum platform to be as user friendly as possible and your suggestions are highly valued.

So even though I know the administrators read the posts here, I will be sure to highlight this thread to their attention.  There are some good suggestions here from both Computer-Joe and aviewer.

Thanks!

That's exactly my point, after all that work, it's lost. The last thread it happened on was at it's previous location for at least a day and a half and I had already posted to it at least twice before, so it does not seem post moving is all that time critical.

I don't think it would be that difficult to change the "read only" message to "oops this thread has been moved, would you like to post your reply in the new location?" or at least fix it so that the freakin autosave retains your message.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 4, 2012 9:34:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
My thought is - moving should not impact any posting. Once a thread is opened any reply to it can be attached. If it moves to a different category, the new post finds it. A category is not a path - A category is a pointer.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 4, 2012 9:40:02 AM
(0)
Master

Know exactly what you mean CJ and I've had the same frustrating thing happen to me many times. While sometimes I copy the text prior to posting I become lax in doing this and shouldn't have to do it in the first place.

Just last week I thought I was replying to a post which I thought had already been moved. The user was complaining about the rate increases for their AT&T landline phone service. While they were probably in the wrong forum I wrote a long reply, did some research, included links, completely agreed with his concern, and the reply was rather long. Low and behold when I posted the dreaded "read only" prompt came up and the post was gone.

My first thought was someone didn't like what I was writing and deleted my reply since as I mentioned before it looked like this post was already moved. Regardless, I'm not going to write the same post all over again and it's the OP's loss, as well as others who might read it, on what might have been some helpful info.

Thanks for reporting this problem to the administrators Phil and they should find a fix for it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 4, 2012 9:44:51 AM
(0)

All good observations and suggestions.

Thanks!

Phil-101 • Community Moderator
Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread.
This will help other users find this information too!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 4, 2012 3:41:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I've also had that happen due to a post being moved.

Other times I've got that read-only message for legit messages that did not get moved.  Go back to the post and reply again and the autosave still works. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 4, 2012 4:01:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

90% of the time it happens to me, it's due to thread moving. The other 10% has been due to thread locking.

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2012 10:41:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I do my best to avoid replying to a post that's in the wrong forum, this among the reasons.  I have been flagging the posts to the moderators as inappropriate (due to being in the wrong forum).  Then, once it's moved and I want to reply, I do so.

I know that sometimes you have to be a mind reader to figure out whether the moderators will think it belongs or not.  I'm not saying this is perfect, but it might relieve some of your frustration.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2012 10:43:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by JefferMC on Feb 7, 2012 at 10:44:08 AM

One more thing you might want to consider:

I've only had the read-only message happen to me once, so I can't test this for that, but right after I posted my last reply (successfully), I hit the Brower's page back button (left arrow, ALT/left arrow on the keyboard, whatever) to go back to the previous page.  The complete reply text was still sitting in the rich text edit box, waiting to be copied, perchance to be re-pasted somewhere else.

I hope this suggestion is useful.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2012 12:18:42 PM
(0)
Master

Good suggestion JefferMC but unfortunately if you are directed to a "read only" post which has been moved there's no going back on your browser button since the text in your reply is gone. It's also not saved, like CJ had mentioned, and you can't reload the page since the "Load" prompt at the top of some composed replies where you left the page is nowhere to be found. It's currently a no-win situation in replying to moved posts. :smileysad:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2012 12:59:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Good suggestion JefferMC but unfortunately if you are directed to a "read only" post which has been moved there's no going back on your browser button since the text in your reply is gone. It's also not saved, like CJ had mentioned, and you can't reload the page since the "Load" prompt at the top of some composed replies where you left the page is nowhere to be found. It's currently a no-win situation in replying to moved posts. :smileysad:

I would have to contrive to get in the situation he finds himself in to test his situation exactly, but on a successful post I was able to back pedal to the previous page and the text control still had my text in it, just as it did before I hit the Post button.  If you've already tried this on the "read only page" and found that it doesn't work, then... darn, but I'm mildly surprised that the read only page response changes that behavior.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2012 4:04:58 PM
(0)
Master

JefferMC wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

I would have to contrive to get in the situation he finds himself in to test his situation exactly, but on a successful post I was able to back pedal to the previous page and the text control still had my text in it, just as it did before I hit the Post button.  If you've already tried this on the "read only page" and found that it doesn't work, then... darn, but I'm mildly surprised that the read only page response changes that behavior.

You may be right, and I may be wrong, as far as it's the read only page I get when trying to unsuccessfully post a reply to a moved post. I looked through my 100+ screen shots and couldn't find/remember the exact page I see when posting a reply fails on a moved post. But I do know in using FF with Win7 when I try to go back on the browser with a reply to a moved post there is nothing I can do to retrieve the text and it's gone.

Next time this happens and I see the page I'll take a screen shot of it.

If I remember correctly CJ is using a different browser (XP) and maybe IE? He said in his first post, below is what he sees, but I'm not sure it has the same prompt for going back on the browser? This SS is a year old and guess we'll let CJ answer what he actually sees. Who knows and maybe I see the same thing and can't really remember.

Read only in Forum Reply, 4-19-11.png

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 7, 2012 7:06:05 PM
(0)
Employee
Edited by Escapee on Feb 7, 2012 at 7:07:41 PM

It has only been a few time but I agree with Uni there is nothing to recover. I have even seen the auto save message activate just before I hit POST and still no recovery. I use FF beta so i have the newest code at the time and Win7 also.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2012 4:33:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes I get a similar message as Uni posted, using XPMCE SP3 and IE8 as well as Win7 and IE9.

I do not get any warnings. I hit the post button and I get the "Read Only" page. If I hit the backspace (back button) it reloads the "read only" page. If I hit the backspace twice in rapid succession, it will take me back to the reply page, but it is blank (no reply) and the "Recover" button for the Autosave is not available.

There is something in the code that wipes the cached page of your reply from your computer or it would be there when you backspace. Normally, with a successful post, you can backspace 5 or 10 pges and your reply will still show up on the old reply page. So there is definately a difference between successful posts and failed posts in the way the the pages get cached on your computer.

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2012 11:34:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Feb 8, 2012 at 11:35:05 AM

Escapee wrote:

It has only been a few time but I agree with Uni there is nothing to recover. I have even seen the auto save message activate just before I hit POST and still no recovery. I use FF beta so i have the newest code at the time and Win7 also.

Actually SKP, Aurora is FF beta's beta and I have the latest code on Aurora 12.0a2 (2012-2-08) today.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/aurora/  Download the pre-Beta build of Firefox. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2012 2:10:37 PM
(0)
Employee

This is getting off the OP subject but to those interested I not had any problems with any of the FF betas. If you want to take the plunge the only hitch may be an Extention not working. The widely Extentions are keeping up with the beta releases.

I will let Chris speak for the beta beta but I am guessing they are just as stable as just the betas final releases.  These releases seem to be more stable then Final releases were in the past.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2012 3:54:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Escapee wrote:

This is getting off the OP subject but to those interested I not had any problems with any of the FF betas. If you want to take the plunge the only hitch may be an Extention not working. The widely Extentions are keeping up with the beta releases.

I will let Chris speak for the beta beta but I am guessing they are just as stable as just the betas final releases.  These releases seem to be more stable then Final releases were in the past.

Hey! there's a thread for that kind of activity. :smileywink::smileyvery-happy:

Hopefully your post will not get "moved for better exposure" before I can get this reply off.:smileywink:

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2012 4:12:30 PM
(0)
Employee

LOL :smileylol:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 8, 2012 4:18:27 PM
(0)
Expert
I was running Aurora for a while, but there were indeed some problems with it. I ran into some Javascript execution problems in Aurora 11a (now Firefox Beta 11) that prevented some sites like GoDaddy's Domain Manager from working.

So even though they may not crash or otherwise give obvious problems, they are still beta and alpha quality that you have to watch out for.

I have since reverted back to the Firefox release chain, and I'm currently running Firefox 10.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Feb 9, 2012 10:33:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Feb 9, 2012 at 10:34:46 AM

Escapee wrote:

Actually SKP, I've not had any surfing/email problems w/Aurora, but it ia a beta's beta w/an update every single day.

Not worried about any extensions, IEpage is pretty obsolete now, pretty much everything opens in Aurora/FF properly.  Using the Host file from MVPs.org covers any AdBlock or scripts, etc. extensions, it stops just about everything (as new things pop up, it's updated a every 2 months). :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 1, 2012 9:28:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Well, it does not look like they've solved this yet. I just got that frakkin' "read only" message again, and lost my reply.:smileymad:

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 2, 2012 3:57:27 PM
(0)
Employee

What is that thing we suppost to do when someone has a problem.  I remember now Send a PM to Alex.   :smileyvery-happy: LOL

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 2, 2012 9:43:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Ya, there's a guy that deserves a raise.

Heck, why don't we just wipe the front page of the forum and put two links there, one for the Lounge and one for "Ask Alex":smileywink:

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 6, 2012 4:49:09 PM
(0)
Employee

Computer-Joe wrote:

Ya, there's a guy that deserves a raise.

Heck, why don't we just wipe the front page of the forum and put two links there, one for the Lounge and one for "Ask Alex":smileywink:

Yes he can route a problem to someone that can get it fixed. I will have to tell Ralph how good he is next time we speak. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 24, 2012 4:08:50 PM
(0)
Mentor

Joe, I gave up on IE9 abouot a month ago,wouldnt let me see secure sites no matter how much I changed settings.I un-installed it re-installed it,...no luck. Switched to Chrome and everything is back to normal. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 5, 2012 7:16:51 PM
(0)
Mentor
Actually I AM NOT an ATT empolyee,I use to work the phones for them for quite some time as a T2 agent,but moved on to better things,like a BETTER job.More money,an IT position(finaly) better bennies too.AND taking time off isnt held against me at my new postion.But I did learn alot there every DAY! Every call is different.