Posted Jun 19, 2013
9:27:06 AM
View profile
live tv on ipad

Does anyone know if watching live tv on the ipad uses up one of the four live tv streams on the home tv? Thanks in advance.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 3, 2013 8:17:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by beckyww on Oct 10, 2013 at 12:33:56 PM

marcindublin - Latest news from Becky - Looks like some channels allow only home network others allow any network. Of course, everyone wants download to watch anywhere.

Copy/paste from a post by Beckyww -

Just crossed my desk:

All About... Live TV From Your Device
What is it? U-verse TV subscribers will now be able to use the U-verse app or Uverse.com to tune into live TV programming. Please note: The type of access varies by network. Some networks have provided rights only within the home (member must be connected to residential gateway). Other networks are providing access both in and out of the home.

What networks are participating? We will launch with live access to approximately 108 channels. Of those, 25 will be available outside of the home. Sample channels that are participating:
Travel Channel
HGTV
Food Network
Showtime
Starz
Content is based on the subscription package. If the customer’s package does not include a particular channel, they will not be able to access it on the U-verse mobile app or through Uverse.com
Programming watched inside the home doesn’t count against the Customer’s number of streams

How does the customer access it? By signing in to uverse.com or the U-verse app. Access is authenticated by the customer’s log-in and password. This is no change from the current experience today for Live on Uverse.com or On Demand across platforms.
When does this launch?
U-verse App: Existing subscribers will need to update their app to the latest software release to receive these changes. New subscribers will receive the live TV feature with initial app download.
Uverse.com: Upon visiting the LIVE TV page (Uverse.com/Live) users will be encouraged to Sign-In and are then presented with the option to install a browser plugin that will help to identify the subscriber’s connection location.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

live tv on ipad

31 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(31)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2013 12:22:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Avandalay2013 - It does not use any streams because it is not possible. The u-verse app for ipad allows viewing of selected shows - the equivalent of uverse.com, which would also be possible on the ipad via a browser if it was possible to load adobe flash on an ipad.

If you have an ability to watch live, please post how to do it.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: live tv on ipad

2 of 32 (8,891 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2013 2:48:30 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by gmsuv on Jun 20, 2013 at 2:51:57 AM

First there is the WATCH ESPN app that lets you watch live sports on all ESPN ( ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU) channels and then there is the ISWIFTER Browser that lets you watch live tv.  I watch KPRC in Housten every morning on my IPAD and I live in Detroit.  ISWIFTER has the Adobe Flash as part of its browser.  My wife was watching the Jodi Arias trial live feed pretty much every day while putsing around the kitchen.

I guess the master will learn something from the mentor.

[ Edited ]
3 of 32 (8,810 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2013 4:53:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
gmsuv - Re: I guess the master will learn something from the mentor.

Absolutely! That is the reason I am here. I learn something from every thread.

Thanks for providing the examples I asked for. They do not consume any TV streams because they are delivered on the internet bandwidth. They do consume the 3/6/12/18/24 bandwidth - whichever internet package you subscribe to. You can also access them from any wi-fi access. In which case they would not consume any of your bandwidth.

My original post was focused specifically on the u-verse app which is more closely associated with the channels delivered on the four streams. Thanks again for the reminder that there is a lot more content available on the web.

4 of 32 (8,801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2013 5:02:46 AM
(0)
Mentor

If you log into Uverse Online you can watch CNN FOX using the ISWIFTER Browser and many more channels.

5 of 32 (8,801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2013 5:55:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

gmsuv wrote:

If you log into Uverse Online you can watch CNN FOX using the ISWIFTER Browser and many more channels.

So if you are watching the programs online then they are being offered live at the network's sites and not through the Uverse service.  Thanks for the info about the browser having flash, so that more Ipad users can download it.  I also recommend downloading VLC media player also.  This player will play back just about anything.

6 of 32 (8,726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2013 7:41:43 AM
(0)
Teacher
UVERSE IS TERRIBLE. Get your act together and get a true iPad App that allows live streaming. I pay a RIDICULOUS amount of money for my uverse service, and this is a feature that BOTH DirecTV and BrightHouse offer.

IF YOU READ THIS DO NOT GET UVERSE

7 of 32 (8,617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 30, 2013 12:39:16 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by JiminSTLouis on Sep 30, 2013 at 12:57:18 PM

OK, I'll go back to the original question. I'm watching a program live on my iPad, and live on TV (there is a bit of a lag). Is this not "live" tv on the iPad? And if it is, does it count as one of the streams? I would guess not because my device is connected via wifi?

Thanks

[ Edited ]
8 of 32 (8,281 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 2:36:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by aviewer on Sep 30, 2013 at 2:56:59 PM

JiminSTLouis - The simple answer is No because you are watching streaming over the internet, you are not watching a "tuned" U-verse TV channel (stream). It's the same as watching u-tube or any other video streaming services. Which comes back to how is it done - via an app (u-verse or other) is limited by the app. You are not listening in on the U-verse channel you are getting the show that the icon says is currently available. It is not possible to do it via a browser because IOS does not support adobe flash player. I can watch any streamed video accessible via a browser on my computer connected to my TV via HDMI.

If you are watching live TV on your ipad because it is mirrored from a smart TV or other device that is fed from the output of an STB, then yes, you are using a u-verse TV stream.

[ Edited ]
9 of 32 (8,255 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 30, 2013 4:26:25 PM
(0)
Guru
Thanks aviewer.

10 of 32 (8,230 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2013 7:36:14 AM
(0)
Scholar

Any idea why I can't watch any HD channels on the iPad using this new feature.  It says I need to be on my home network which, of course, I am.

Thanks!

11 of 32 (8,079 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 3, 2013 8:17:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by beckyww on Oct 10, 2013 at 12:33:56 PM

marcindublin - Latest news from Becky - Looks like some channels allow only home network others allow any network. Of course, everyone wants download to watch anywhere.

Just crossed my desk:

What is it? U-verse TV subscribers will now be able to use the U-verse app or Uverse.com to tune into live TV programming. Please note: The type of access varies by network. Some networks have provided rights only within the home (member must be connected to residential gateway). Other networks are providing access both in and out of the home.

What networks are participating? We will launch with live access to approximately 108 channels. Of those, 25 will be available outside of the home. Sample channels that are participating:
Travel Channel
HGTV
Food Network
Showtime
Starz
Content is based on the subscription package. If the customer’s package does not include a particular channel, they will not be able to access it on the U-verse mobile app or through Uverse.com
Programming watched inside the home doesn’t count against the Customer’s number of streams

How does the customer access it? By signing in to uverse.com or the U-verse app. Access is authenticated by the customer’s log-in and password. This is no change from the current experience today for Live on Uverse.com or On Demand across platforms.
When does this launch?
U-verse App: Existing subscribers will need to update their app to the latest software release to receive these changes. New subscribers will receive the live TV feature with initial app download.
Uverse.com: Upon visiting the LIVE TV page (Uverse.com/Live) users will be encouraged to Sign-In and are then presented with the option to install a browser plugin that will help to identify the subscriber’s connection location.

[ Edited ]
12 of 32 (8,074 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2013 10:01:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by beckyww on Oct 23, 2013 at 12:24:50 PM

aviewer wrote:

Just crossed my desk:

Travel Channel
HGTV
Food Network
Showtime
Starz

When does this launch?

Cool, cool, cool!  Awesome!  thanks Master, lol!

[ Edited ]
13 of 32 (8,001 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2013 10:46:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by aviewer on Oct 4, 2013 at 12:30:12 PM

dhascall - thought you might like that.

Gives me an opportunity to say that channels themselves are opening up with more live and on-demand programs.

BeeBeeSa pointed out yesterday the ability to watch baseball playoffs live on TBS.com.

I just watched last wednesday's episode of modern family on abc.com on my computer browser.I must add that this is the first time I wanted to catch up on a show, find it on the web and watch it. Things are looking up.

Does the Android support video on browser? The IOS is hampered by the lack of Adobe Flash. Although, I have seen posts offering alternatives.

If no browser access search for apps direct to other sources of programming. While access to U-verse sources are appreciated, they are not alone. It is opening up across the board. The options are many.

[ Edited ]
14 of 32 (7,995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2013 8:46:44 AM
(0)
Scholar

But I am connected to my home network and it still says I need to be connected to my home network. Something's broken....  (only on the HD channels, SD channels, even premium ones, work fine).

15 of 32 (7,574 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2013 9:09:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
marcindublin - Just tried it. Really slow load. Flashed an error - NO channels avail while it was loading - but played modern family on USA chan 1124.

16 of 32 (7,520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2013 11:27:55 PM
(0)
Mentor

Still getting the same 13 live channels on uverse.com/live. Even connected to 2wire. Don't see any type of pop up screen stating anything about in home veiwing

17 of 32 (5,322 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2013 3:56:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
executivemike - Yes, the uverse.com site appears to not be upgraded as "scheduled" 10/4. Hoping for Monday

18 of 32 (4,974 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 7:09:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

aviewer wrote:

dhascall - thought you might like that.

Gives me an opportunity to say that channels themselves are opening up with more live and on-demand programs.

BeeBeeSa pointed out yesterday the ability to watch baseball playoffs live on TBS.com.

I just watched last wednesday's episode of modern family on abc.com on my computer browser.I must add that this is the first time I wanted to catch up on a show, find it on the web and watch it. Things are looking up.

Does the Android support video on browser? The IOS is hampered by the lack of Adobe Flash. Although, I have seen posts offering alternatives.

If no browser access search for apps direct to other sources of programming. While access to U-verse sources are appreciated, they are not alone. It is opening up across the board. The options are many.

The stock, default browser, no but there are at least a couple that do.  Skyfire browser does, that I know of.  However, I doubt that it would matter.  What I think will happen is that you would use the Browser to get to the channel and when you clicked to watch it you would get a decision prompt, asking which program to use for that option: Browser, MX Player, Movies, and so on.  The app might even automate the process.

19 of 32 (4,485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 7:36:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Yes, I would expect the app to work with videos. I was asking from a browser viewpoint. I have/had a thing about why apps are needed when it already works with a browser. Based on the adobe flash thing with IOS, I am thinking that the apps are much more efficient than browser to "fit" efficiently on the smaller phone/tablet platform.

So, thanks for adding browser possibilities.

Two updates -

The uverse.com appears to not have been implemented on 10/4.

The iphone version is ahead of schedule - It came up in my update list, already. But, it still blocks viewing on an ipad. I can see that this is technically correct, but moot from a contractual viewpoint because the service is now allowed on an ipad. It would not matter if the rest of the activities within the app were identical. But, they are not. They cover a wide range of activities that are implemented differently. So, if I like the remote on the iphone better than the ipad version. Which I do. I have to use two apps instead of one. How about simple apps that do one task and are not complicated. LIke easy remote is a complicated mess combining all these same features.

I guess my answer is to stick with Buddy TV for the remote.

20 of 32 (4,473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2013 4:41:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

From the article found in the link below:

AT&T U-verse has added live TV streaming to its authenticated TV Everywhere menu with an app update for iOS devices, including the iPad, iPod Touch and iPhone, that lets customers access more than 100 channels at home and more than 20 while they’re on the go.

Channels with out-of-home rights offered via the U-verse app include AXS TV, Encore, Encore-West, HDNet Movies, NFL Network, NFL RedZone, Pac 12 Network, Pac 12 Bay Area, Pac 12 Los Angles, Showtime, Showtime-West, Showtime Beyond, Showtime Extreme, Showtime Extreme-West, Showtime Family Zone, Showtime Too, Showtime Too-West, Showtime Women, Smithsonian Channel, Starz, Starz-West, The Movie Channel, The Movie Channel West, TMC Xtra, and TMC Xtra-West.

A subset of live channels are also available to authenticated customers via Uverse.com, an AT&T spokeswoman said.

The updated app, offered for free to subscribers who take AT&T's U-family or higher U-verse TV package, will add more live channels and more devices “on an ongoing basis,” the company said.

The U-verse app also supports “thousands” of on-demand TV shows and movies, access to extra content about a show being watched (episode information, photos, case and crew data), remote DVR management, and advanced search features.

“By making live TV content available across devices we’re enabling our customers to watch TV on their terms when and where they want it,” said Mel Coker, chief marketing officer, AT&T Home Solutions, in a statement. “U-verse has always been about delivering a TV experience built around our customers, and this enhancement gives them even more flexibility and control.”

AT&T’s base of U-verse TV subs eclipsed the 5 million mark in the second quarter after adding 233,000 in the period. 

AT&T U-verse joins a growing mix of pay-TV operators that have added a mixture of in-home and out-of-home live TV streaming to their TV Everywhere repertoires. Last month, Verizon Communications launched an upgrade to the FiOS Mobile App that, for the first time, offered out-of-home access to live TV, starting with nine channels. Time Warner Cable, meanwhile, has begun to offer up to 11 linear channels (depending on the market) on its TWCTV app for iOS and Android devices, as well as on Web browsers.

http://www.multichannel.com/distribution/att-u-verse-app-flips-live-tv-streaming/145938

21 of 32 (4,276 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 5:50:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

I downloaded the iphone uverse app and I am confused about one thing.  Ive read that the NFL network is one of the channels available to stream outside the home and I do have the NFL Network as part of my package.  I do not have nfl network as channel option as of right now to stream out of the home on my iphone.  Is this something that will be added on later or should I be able to stream it right now?

22 of 32 (4,163 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 12:38:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

coz007 wrote:

I downloaded the iphone uverse app and I am confused about one thing.  Ive read that the NFL network is one of the channels available to stream outside the home and I do have the NFL Network as part of my package.  I do not have nfl network as channel option as of right now to stream out of the home on my iphone.  Is this something that will be added on later or should I be able to stream it right now?

The article that aviewer copied said that viewing live TV via the iPhone app would not be available until 10/16.  Not sure if they are adding channels to that piecemeal, meaning not fully loaded until 10/16 or what.

23 of 32 (4,086 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 1:06:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
dhascall -
I believe the new version for both ipad & iphone has been released. There is a press release posted in the forum.

When I saw the coz007 post I wanted to answer, but could not think of one. I was thinking of "is it available" as another marker. Reading this post I see that the question arises based on reading articles not looking at the app. So, my answer would be if it is not on the app it is not watchable. If it is on the app it may be watchable if you qualify by package level.

coz007 did not see it on the app.

So, I looked it up & see it is chan 630/1630. I go to the u-verse app for ipad & there it is. I click on play & it does. I do not have a iphone, so someone else will have to check that app.

Since channels will always be added & removed from live play. And, tablet, phone, u-verse.com, android & IOS may not always have the same content, it would be nice if the were a comprehensive, current list of supported channels - like the regular channel list - Instead of checking off the various package, it would check off which device it is currently available on.

24 of 32 (4,080 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 11:23:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

As far as the PC goes, I only saw  the original 12 channels to choose from.

25 of 32 (3,941 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 11:26:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
I believe uverse.com is not yet upgraded. When it is ready there will be a press release.

26 of 32 (3,938 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2013 12:06:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I hadn't been around for the past week or so, but this is very pleasant news to here.  I saw the new look of the app but I just looked at it really quickly.  They (ATT) may be a little behind in some things, but they do manage to come up with some pretty cool features, in the long run.  Good job ATT.

27 of 32 (3,910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2013 5:01:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by aviewer on Oct 18, 2013 at 5:15:54 AM

When I went to uverse.com this am I see that it has the new watch live - the same as the ipad/iphone.

The required plug-in does not load under Chrome - use Safari or Firefox.

[ Edited ]
28 of 32 (3,450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 18, 2013 9:53:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

aviewer wrote:

When I went to uverse.com this am I see that it has the new watch live - the same as the ipad/iphone.

The required plug-in does not load under Chrome - use Safari or Firefox.

Yep, seeing it too!

29 of 32 (3,423 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 10:09:12 AM
(0)
Mentor

At&t Uverse app update with live tv is now available on the android market place. Just updated the app on my phone. Works properly!

30 of 32 (3,296 Views)