feiter's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Saturday, July 19th, 2014 9:03 PM

Software Version on West Coast

Just read this entire thread and find it interesting.  Why update the Central Time zone software version first?  Evidently East is second??  When does California get it?   I have been a subscriber now for 2 months and I have TV2 Client version: 2.2.28163.20(Releast).  Over the years I have had the three major cable operators, used TIVO for two of them and just changed to ATT from Direct TV.  ATT DVR is without a doubt the very worse DVR made and sold.  If I have known how bad it actaully was I would not have changed.  I have already been kicked off watching live TV three times because we wanted to record a whle 3 (Three!) shows at the same time.  The Hopper is now advertised as 8 and my DirecTV would do five.   Also, asked about using TIVO with ATT and found out the old, old , old series 2 Tivo would work but where to you get one?  No other DVR sold or avaialbe works with ATT!   When new shows start this fall I may have to cancel ATT and go back to Cox or DirecTV so we can record all the new shows.  Not a fan of on demand!

Hey ATT--when will I at least get a software update if I can't get a decent DVR?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

Sorry, you should be able to record 4 programs (combination of SD/HD, depending on your profile, mine is 4HD) before getting kicked off.  Then you could just watch a recording. 

You can only be watching 1 thing at a time personally. 

Technically on Uverse you can watch 4 different live stream channels, then 3 recordings at STBs other than the DVR and 1 more recording on the TV connected to the DVR.  That's 8 different programs to be watched on 8 different sets concurrently.

The cable companies have a stranglehold on VOD as they've been longer at it and share them between each other through a company called 'On Demand' formed by the cable systems themselves.  Their goal is to deprive Uverse of VOD content, so ATT's gone and gotten what they have inspite of that.

By the way, the update you're hoping for does not affect DVR speed/usability.  From what I've read is it makes the watched recordings go italic. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for your reply Chris.  So, do I look at "streams" to see my profile?  It says 0SD/4HD.   Is that what you are quoting?   

I have three receivers, 2 wireless and the 1 DVR.   Does that mean I can record 3 shows and watch live TV on 1 receiver?   you made the statement:

You can only be watching 1 thing at a time personally. 

Frequently my wife and I watch different live television on two different sets. She movies and me sports as an example.   When we are watching live TV on two sets does that mean I can only record 2 shows during that time?    Don't you think that is bad?   I think the majority of households are watching two different live streams on two different TVs FREQUENTLY.  If ATT wants to grow their Uverse business then they need to replace this DVR and give the buying public somehting that allows them to use TV in their actual life style.  They most certainly have the resources (money) to do so if they value their customers.

Also, the software does affect watching TV when you are trying to manage recordings with being able to watch live TV and the scheduled recording Time is not for your local time zone--makes it very difficult to schedule and record correct program.  I recently moved an episonde od Ray Donavan from the 9 PM showing to 10 PM showing as we had 3 shows recording at 9 and the scheduled (and after recording actual recording time) times still showed 9--Central time right?

I am sorry but if ATT wants to keep me then they need to upgrade my equipment to the level their competition supplies.

Thanks again for your input.  I don't see ATT doing anything unless we all complain.

They also sold me a bill of goods when I signed up  by telling me I have a dedicated fiber optic line to my house but hooking up to my Cable company cable coming in the house as they could not get to my home phone wiring in a convenient place-my house was built in 1978--wonder why they would want to hook  fiber optic input to 36 year old in house distibution.   Even DirecTV ran all new cable in my house when I jointed them.

Guess I am not a happy camper huh?

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

I believe that Gigapower subscribers are given 5 streams, but yes, everyone else must make do with 4.  I have 5 people in my home that watch a variety of things, and we rarely bump into the 4 stream limit (okay, yes, from 9 pm until 10 pm last night was one of those rare times; 4 shows were being recorded, no live TV watching occurred).  

U-verse is not for everyone, and you may be one of those for whom it may not work.  DirecTV is not for everyone, neither is Comcast, Charter, etc.  The architecture of limiting the number of streams into the house allows them to select those streams from a larger universe of available channels than a traditional cable provider could jam in to the cable coming in your home.

There have been tests with more streams.  I do believe as the average subcriber has more bandwidth (Most U-verse TV subscribers have profiles of 32 Mbps or less.  32 Mbps only handles 5 concurrent streams), the number of streams will also go up (as is evidenced by the fact that Gigapower subs get another stream).

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

I am sorry but I don't understand this.  What the heck is "Gigapower"?  Never heard of it.  I will tell you I am paying more for additional band width now.  Are you saying that even if I had a DVR that could handle more than 4 channels recorded at once I would not be able to use it because only 4 streams are coming in my house?   And you think this allows more channels?  I had over 800 channels with Directv (including NFL Sunday Ticket) and could record 5 shows at once and watch live TV on two sets.   I had over 600 channels with Cox and could do the same in terms of recording and watching live TV.  I had NEVER been kicked off watching live TV before having UVerse.   This is not good. BTW, I only have 300 channels with Uverse although I must say I am happy with the channel lineup, just not happy I can't always watch it when I want to.

Is this all a function of wanting wireless receivers?   I would rather see the wires and be able to record at least 4 shows and watch two live channels at the same time.  BTW, DirecTV now offers wireless with the same record/watch capability I had with wired receivers.

Based on everything I see/ hear and combined with email problems (yahoo mail??) I think I am gone this fall.  Hope ATT does not expect me to pay an early termination fee because they were not totally visible on what they were selling me.

Thanks for your reply and trying to clarify--I can't help but wonder if you have ever experienced a truly 21 century TV watching experience if you think Uverse is okay.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

@feiter wrote:

I am sorry but I don't understand this.  What the heck is "Gigapower"?  Never heard of it.  I will tell you I am paying more for additional band width now.  Are you saying that even if I had a DVR that could handle more than 4 channels recorded at once I would not be able to use it because only 4 streams are coming in my house?   And you think this allows more channels?  I had over 800 channels with Directv (including NFL Sunday Ticket) and could record 5 shows at once and watch live TV on two sets.   I had over 600 channels with Cox and could do the same in terms of recording and watching live TV.  I had NEVER been kicked off watching live TV before having UVerse.   This is not good. BTW, I only have 300 channels with Uverse although I must say I am happy with the channel lineup, just not happy I can't always watch it when I want to.

Is this all a function of wanting wireless receivers?   I would rather see the wires and be able to record at least 4 shows and watch two live channels at the same time.  BTW, DirecTV now offers wireless with the same record/watch capability I had with wired receivers.

Based on everything I see/ hear and combined with email problems (yahoo mail??) I think I am gone this fall.  Hope ATT does not expect me to pay an early termination fee because they were not totally visible on what they were selling me.

Thanks for your reply and trying to clarify--I can't help but wonder if you have ever experienced a truly 21 century TV watching experience if you think Uverse is okay.

Gigapower was introduced in Austin (Texas) and is scheduled to be released in Dallas later this summer.  Read moreHERE

Uverse is not a perfect fit for everyone.  Currently, there is a limit of 4 live streams (unless you have Gigapower).  I can see where the limits could be a problem for big families but for our family (just 2 of us), it's fine and we rarely have a problem with watching/recording conficts. 

It would be a waste of money for us to have any more streams or receivers than we currently have.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

Okay, Texas Huh? Well, the title of the posting here is Software Update on West Coast—New software was given to Central (Texas) time zone first about 5 months agon, and then East and I am wondering when I will get IT on the West Coast---If I am waiting months for software update just imagine how long I will have to wait for improved fiber! Many years, if ever, I would guess.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

The new software started appearing about 4 weeks (not months) ago.  Originally in the Kansas City area, I believe.  I have seen a post from New England saying they had it since then.  I do not believe it's in wide spread distribution anywhere.  I'm wondering if they didn't find a bug or two in need of fixing.

And no one reported getting any more or fewer streams as a result of receiving the new STB software.

Guru

• 

417 Messages

10 years ago

Chris -

What is the source of the information regarding "On Demand" and why AT*T's VOD has a fraction of what TWC or Comcast has.

I imagine that if there really is some kind of collusion going on, that would be cause enough to prevent the merger..

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.