buckeyeba's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Saturday, January 19th, 2013 2:48 PM

Recording TV

I have one of the best DVD Recorders made. I used to be able to record everything; since it all went digital, I can't record anything:( (My DVD says "Cannot record copyrighted material.")  Is there anyway to pull programs off my DVR? I think there is, and here's why:

When I hook up the RCA (red/yellow/white) or the other (red/blue/green) cables to my DVR/DVD, I get the error mssg (not to mention a less than stellar picture). When I ONLY connect the HDMI cable from the DVD to the TV, programs will record---but sound only. (I tried only adding the video cable to no avail.) For the record, I'm not trying to pirate anything; there are a few things I've saved on DVR that are 0% available to purchase. (Since that is the case, I rather think that copyrights are unnecessary.)

Halp!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

AT&T's box outputs are all protected with various copy-protection mechanisms.  HDMI is protected with HDCP, and component and composite are protected with Macrovision.  All TV recording devices sold in the US within the past several years are required to honor those copy-protection signals, and will refuse to record if they are present.

You can use a device like the Grex to allow recording.  It will allow use of composite or component (but not HDMI).

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Appreciated!

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Why would the ATT Uverse box not allow a PVR to be used?  If I can record a channel on the Uverse DVR, shouldn't I be able to record on a PVR?  Why wouldn't I be able to record a channel that I am paying for or is free in HD?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

jteixeira It's the copyright laws. The original content owners protect their ownership ferociously by applying technology and contractual agreements.

Customers feel the initial payment should include all possible private viewing.

Owners are looking to eke out the most money possible and prevent leaks to money making opportunities for others.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

How does the Grex device get around the copyright laws?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

jteixeira - I believe people do have the right to make copies for personal use, if they can find a way to do it. The content owners have a right to make it difficult to do.

The technical implementation makes it possible to block the vast majority, but leaves the ability to ovrcoome it on an individual basis.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

11 years ago

Actually, you might want to read the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act).  It actually makes it a crime to attempt to defeat a copyright protection mechanism.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

It's not the stations. It's AT&T. I was able to record everything from Comcast and Direct when I used them. Switching to Uverse was a huge mistake on my part.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

the same problem for me,  I had xfinity , no problem

No with Uverse, same connections I cannot record to dvd.   Even with local channels that should not be copy wrote.  SO are you saying that ANY content weather it me on demand or live tv, cannot be recorded to a dvd recorder?  

If that is the final answer, I will switch back to comcast as there have been other issues with uverse also and I am in my first 2 weeks

Scholar

• 

80 Messages

10 years ago

I get a kick out of reading gushie comments from the A.C.E "official" AT&T apologist crowd.

While the copyright laws covered in the law mentioned and elsewhere make it illegal to "copy" copyrighted materials even for personal use that's only half the story.

Everyone knows how greedy the movie and recording industries are. However all the big electronic manufacters several years ago CAVED and put in measures in their recorders at the request of the movie and recording industries to make it very difficult to make copies even if all you want to do is move them elsewhere for backup if your VCR fills up or someday crashes and yes, it will meaning all that's on it will likely be lost.

Don't like the law, and I sure don't... write your Congressmen.

Far be it for me to encourage anyone to break the law, but it has been rumored VCR's made prior to this law had no issues and if you can get one sold elsewhere that might work as might finding one with a firewire output. Just rumors...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.