jessica030474's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Thursday, December 30th, 2010 7:19 PM

Question about first run vs. reruns

Just for clarification, "first-run" means an episode that has never, ever aired before on any channel, brand-new, right?  So, for a show that is no longer on the air and all you have airing on any channel are reruns, you would not need to set it for "first-run", right?

My sister thought it meant DVRing a rerun on one day, but not recording, again, if the same channel happened to air the same rerun, again, once it has already been recorded, once.

Jut making sure.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

@jessica030474 wrote:

Just for clarification, "first-run" means an episode that has never, ever aired before on any channel, brand-new, right?  So, for a show that is no longer on the air and all you have airing on any channel are reruns, you would not need to set it for "first-run", right?

Yes.

My sister thought it meant DVRing a rerun on one day, but not recording, again, if the same channel happened to air the same rerun, again, once it has already been recorded, once.

No.  That may be an option on U-Verse (to not record the same show twice) but that is not the gist behind "First Run / First Run and Reruns."

Jut making sure.

First Run - First time ever aired.

Rerun: Any episode after the first, even if it plays three hours later, three days later or three years later.  That is important as some of us are forced to record some shows later as all the streams would be used and those "later that day" shows are no longer considered first run.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

13 years ago

Not to disagree with the above post.  I have setup series recordings for tv shows I have never watched but were reairing as repeats.  I did an experiment and set them to first run only and the shows recorded. That caused me to think that may "first run" could also mean the first time a tv show was watched on Uverse.  You can try that and see if the programs are set to record when using the "First run" setting in the series recording.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

Not to quibble, but my experience with First Run vs Rerun seems like it depends on what information has been loaded into the Guide.

When set to record First Run, I get recordings where the show Info displays an Original Air Date matching the day of recording OR no Original Air Date at all.  The latter mostly happens on shows my kids record where the stations provide limited or flat out incorrect information for the Guide.  This also happens a lot when I see "No cast information".

Just trying to help.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

13 years ago

@virtualchoirboy wrote:

Not to quibble, but my experience with First Run vs Rerun seems like it depends on what information has been loaded into the Guide.

When set to record First Run, I get recordings where the show Info displays an Original Air Date matching the day of recording OR no Original Air Date at all.  The latter mostly happens on shows my kids record where the stations provide limited or flat out incorrect information for the Guide.  This also happens a lot when I see "No cast information".

Just trying to help.

Agree - the Guide provider is cut-rate, at best.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.