Posted May 10, 2013
New SLOW Search, etc.

Something's changed, over the last week or so. Searching for a program, even looking at Other Showtimes, has gotten MANY times slower. It also searches, and gives results for, stations I don't have or want, SD when I have only HD stations turned on, people's names, and more. Apparently someone has made this search more comprehensive, and FAR less usable. What used to take a second or two now takes 10 seconds or much more. And several times this evening, after waiting, it says "Search is Not Available". When it does find results, it adds additional steps. Something's changed, and it's not good.

For example, I want to search for the new North America series on Discovery. I enter "NORTH", which is a chore in itself, as the buttons don't respond correctly anymore, and it misses letters, etc. Now, I have a list of items, with separate listings for Cast, Move, On Demand, TV Series, etc.(never had them before). I click TV Series, and after 20 seonds (just counted them) it finally lists the dates and times. But it lists both channel 120 and 1120 times, even though I have 120 hidden. It's just awful. Well, maybe not awful, but far worse than it was.

I assume others are seeing this as well? Is there an option I can turn off or something? I want my old U-Verse back!

New SLOW Search, etc.

31 replies
(7) Me too
(7) Me too
Replies
(31)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 10, 2013
(0)

Oh, and with that search of North America? The search shows the shows starting at 8 PM on Sunday the 19th. So I set it up to record, and the series shows (correctly) it's on at 9 PM, not 8 PM. Yet the search still shows 8 PM. Something's screwed!

Re: New SLOW Search, etc.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 11, 2013
(0)

When I did exactly what you did, it came up 9pm  (EDT) and only came up on 1120, I have 120 hidden too.

I tend to reboot my DVR every week or so and never seem to have many problems, of course all bets are off, after I get home after work around 2am-4am. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 11, 2013
(0)

Thanks for your response. My main concern is that things have really changed (for me, at least). Used to be, when I did a Search, it quickly showed up only the channels I receive, and their times. As I'd "type" in the letters, it would refine the search. Now, hidden channels are shown, and NO times are shown; rather the type of show (Movie, TV Series, On Demand, Cast, etc.) are displayed for each. Only when I choose one of them, are any times shown, and then it includes channels I have hidden as well.

But mainly, it is just so darn SLOW. Is no one else having this occur?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 12, 2013
(0)

Well, I tried to go through my normal weekly process of eliminating conflicts. I'd go to Scheduled shows, find a conflict, click on the show that won't record, and find other Showtimes to reschedule it (then cancel the original). And as usual, now, it won't work. After waiting 30 seconds or more for the other shows to come up, a message says that Search is not available. So I click Back, and, evenetually, that takes me to a Search screen (!). Another click Back takes me out of viewing recordings at all. Completely unusable.

So - I tried it online. For now, at least, this is a viable solution. While My Scheduled Shows took a while to come up, when it did, I could quickly scroll through my scheduled shows, find conflicts (with the ! symbol), click it to find Future Airings (INSTANTLY! ;-), add one of the future airings, then go back and cancel the conflicting one.

I still don't know what's with (my) recordings online. I KNOW the operation has changed, due to the new information (all unwanted by me), but as I'm not hearing that anyone else is having the problem, I've at least found a workaround on my PC. Guess I'll have to just do all my setup online.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 12, 2013
(0)

You are not alone, I am having the same problems. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 12, 2013
(0)

rraisley wrote:

Well, I tried to go through my normal weekly process of eliminating conflicts. I'd go to Scheduled shows, find a conflict, click on the show that won't record, and find other Showtimes to reschedule it (then cancel the original). And as usual, now, it won't work. After waiting 30 seconds or more for the other shows to come up, a message says that Search is not available. So I click Back, and, evenetually, that takes me to a Search screen (!). Another click Back takes me out of viewing recordings at all. Completely unusable.  I just go to the Guide under Add Recording, find that conflicted program, then just scroll forward to the usual repeat after midnite EDT and set it to record, then go back and delete the conflicted show.  I don't have to go thru the hidden channel future ones like on the Web remote and don't have to resume my laptop if it's off.

So - I tried it online. For now, at least, this is a viable solution. While My Scheduled Shows took a while to come up, when it did, I could quickly scroll through my scheduled shows, find conflicts (with the ! symbol), click it to find Future Airings (INSTANTLY! ;-), add one of the future airings, then go back and cancel the conflicting one.

I still don't know what's with (my) recordings online. I KNOW the operation has changed, due to the new information (all unwanted by me), but as I'm not hearing that anyone else is having the problem, I've at least found a workaround on my PC. Guess I'll have to just do all my setup online.

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 12, 2013
(0)

mibrnsurg wrote:

I just go to the Guide under Add Recording, find that conflicted program, then just scroll forward to the usual repeat after midnite EDT and set it to record, then go back and delete the conflicted show.  I don't have to go thru the hidden channel future ones like on the Web remote and don't have to resume my laptop if it's off.

I'm sure that works. But with so many channels, the easiest way for me to check on conflicts is to go through the Scheduled Programs. I scroll down until I find one that has a problem. I then choose it, or another program at the same time, select it and go to More Showtimes. This used to be quite quick. Now, I get (8 seconds) "Please wait. Loading" (10 more seconds) then "Search is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later", with the options of Search Home or Exit Search. I click the Back button, wait another 5 seconds or so, and guess what? It comes up to the Search screen, which is just said was unavailable. Of course, I'd have to enter everything manually now, and by now I've forgotten what program I'm even trying to search for, so I hit Back again, which USED to take me back to the program I was trying to find, from the Scheduled list, and it clears everything and I'm back at a blank screen.

As I said, a LOT has changed about the operation of these functions, at least on my system, and apparently on at least one other. So, many of you don't see this, and it works as it always did? Is that right?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 12, 2013
(0)

I get the conflicted programs in Scheduled Recordings on the TV, when I find one, just left arrow to Add Recording and use the Guide there. :smileywink:

Chris

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 13, 2013
(0)

I use the same method to clear conflicts -  more showtimes.  Or, at least I did.  For about a week I've just been getting a "search temporarily unavailable" error.  I've rebooted all equipment to no avial.  I'm okay with changing the way I navigate the UI, but getting to a screen that says "search temporarily unvailable" (for a week) screams half-baked  update.  The search is also twitchy and lists a ton of irrelevant crap as referenced above.

On the plus side, I kind of like the new On-demand design.  It's still a little clunky, but better than before.

The search thing needs to get fixed though.  Terrible release.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 13, 2013
(0)
verynate - copy/paste your post here -http://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

Thats what I just did.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 13, 2013
(0)

verynate, that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Good to know other are seeing this too (okay, not good for you, but good for my sanity).

aviewer, are you suggesting he/we post these problems elsewhere? I used the link, but couldn't see where it would post.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2013
(0)
rraisley - Yes, That is a PM - Personal Message to att customer care to ask for fixing your problem. Closest thing there is to an e-mail complaint.

Enter the subject line and your problem.

We refer people there when they are not making progress on repair and billing problems. We need then to get ahead of fixing this repair problem.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2013
(0)
Okay, I sent a PM. I guess I could call customer care too, but I'm curious to see if its a global problem before I do. Thanks for the tip.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2013
(0)
I received two e-mails on the broken search.The first said to set the on-demand to the list view. I reported back that it still failed.

the second e-mail said it has been referred to the developers.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 14, 2013
(0)
I just got off the phone with support again. I've been told that the search issue is under review and they hope to have it resolved this week. A known issue. Good to know!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 22, 2013
(0)

I HATE what the Search function is now. The spinning circle is one big irritant and it's SLOW and it often will yield duplicate entries (even an entry that's already past and cannot be recorded) - but the function itself no longer delivers what I'd like to see. Here's an example: I'm an NCIS junkie and like to not only watch what's on CBS prime time, but reruns showing on other channels. Now when I try to do the type in N C I ... it only will deliver the actual CBS scheduled shows for this season - and no longer shows what's coming up on other channels.

Why the heck did they do this? One of you said that the developers are investigating. I hope they're reading this forum and learning that new is not always better. In this case, this is a huge, huge decline in service and function.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 22, 2013
(0)

Yup, it's BAD alright. Also, many (most?) searches show wrong times on my set. Times seem to be Central time, while I'm Eastern. My set is set correctly, and the time is correct, and if I record an 8PM program, it will correctly record when it's on at 9PM, but makes it all the more confusing.

I've been making excuses for years to my wife on why U-Verse is much clumsier (worse) to use than TiVo, which she loved, saying it will only get better. But boy, was I wrong. This is getting bad enough it's worth reconsidering.

OTOH, I've found the Internet site works pretty well for working with recording, searching, etc. I'm doing all my scheduling on my PC now, even if the TV is on at the time. It's accurate, it works, and it's quicker. Nothing like the new TV system programming.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 23, 2013
(0)

That's good feedback and I'll try it. They did respond to my post and said that it's being worked on but they don't have an estimated date of when it will all be functional again. Two weeks ago they said it should be corrected within a week or so - so I'm thinking this is all going in the wrong direction. Sigh.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 24, 2013
(0)

Giving ATT a chance to fix this is the least stressful thing to me. Please fix this ATT!!!!!! Please!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 26, 2013
(0)

I'm having issues with this also. When I go to Recordings/Scheduled, then select a show that is scheduled to record on a particular day and time and I want to change that day and/or time, I'm experiencing problems that I never had before. When I select the scheduled recording to see 'More Showtimes" my problems begin. Sometimes I get "Search is temporarily unavailable" with 'Search Home' and 'Exit Search' options. Clicking on 'Search Home' loads the search screen which then lists all the days, times, and channels that my show will be aired. In the past, just clicking on 'More Showtimes' (see above) would immediately display all details. This new way is extremely frustrating!

Why did U-Verse change it? And having changed it, why didn't they test it before releasing it?  I expect much more from AT&T. Apparently the change was made weeks ago.  Why is it taking so long to fix? Is anyone working on this problem?????

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 26, 2013
(0)

07tsx wrote:

Why did U-Verse change it? And having changed it, why didn't they test it before releasing it?  I expect much more from AT&T.

Yeah, as bad as it is, and now that people are finally starting to find that out and agree, I'd see no reason not to just go back to the way it was. I see absolutely no improvements in ANY of the changes I've seen; everything is either worse, or slower, or both, or just plain doesn't work. Heck, even the TIMES are wrong (about an hour off on mine, the times shown when you look for Other Showtimes). I'm completely afraid to schedule ANYTHING from my TV now, and do all changes and scheduling online (which works great - different group of programmers, obviously!).

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 31, 2013
(0)
Not only trying to get ATT support is almost impossible but now some ATT VP screwed up their ATT menus and listings. Time to find another TV service.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 31, 2013
(0)

jacktv wrote:
Not only trying to get ATT support is almost impossible but now some ATT VP screwed up their ATT menus and listings. Time to find another TV service.

Never found it hard to get service and no VP screwed up the menus and listings.  Just cause it's different, jumping to a competitor is a little severe. :smileywink:

Chris

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 31, 2013
(0)

It would appear that ATT has exceeed the capabilities of the STB.  It is essentially a small computer runing a version of Windows.  All the addtional features ATT is trying to add are great, but if they do not upgrade the platform it is running on they will/are exceeding the capability of the 5+ year old platform.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 31, 2013
(0)

Would have to somewhat agree w/that.  My old 1216 only had 8-9000KB of actual memory, my new 2550 has 48000KB of memory.  That may be why I'm not having any problems w/new Search and VOD. :smileywink:

Edit:  Also Ericsson is buying MediaRoom from MS, so I would expect some changes coming down the pike in the future.

Chris

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 31, 2013
(0)

orion50 wrote:

It would appear that ATT has exceeed the capabilities of the STB.

It's not (just) a capabilities problem. In addition to everything being so SLOW, additional but much less usable information is displayed (a poor choice, IMHO) and scheduled times displayed are incorrect (an obvious error, making reliable programming impossible).

Rather than changing things like this, the programmers should be doing things like: Allowing a user to enter a channel number while HIDING channels, going right to a desired channel, instead of requiring over a hundred button presses (count them some time! I did!), not adding all those new channels, especially all the infomercial channels and even many that I don't even receive, every time they change (and I have to HIDE those channels on FOUR sets individually!!). My wife's been complaining about U-Verse ever since she lost "her" Tivo, but I've been holding out, telling her it's got to improve. I couldn't even tell her about this latest change, or I'd be sleeping on the couch! ;-)

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 3, 2013
(0)

Just wanted to add my two cents about the search.  I don't have any issue with scheduled conflicts; I'm never recording that many things at the same time.  What does stink about the new search is:

1.  It is S.....L.....O.....W.

2.  It finds shows/movies on channels I don't have and don't want to see (I have hidden everything I'm not subscribed to and ruthlessly seek out and hide the random new channels AT&T seeks to bestow on us).

3.  It finds shows/movies in HD, which I don't have.

4. Typing in something to search for it is now extremely glitchy, missed letters, etc.

5. Did I mention it is SLOW?

Yeesh. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 3, 2013
(0)
I agree with everyone else. In addition to what they've said, when I search for additional showtimes, it searches and spins and searches and spins until it says that search is temporarily unavailable. I think it's only worked one time. FWIW, I have the 1225 DVR with a 1200 box. I wonder if everyone has the update. Everything was hunky-dory until I got the update that also gave me the poster view on channel 1. Yes, changing to "view by list") has made things slightly better.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 3, 2013
(0)

Yeah, Slow is the word, and I've just found that I have to ignore any programming with my unit. For example, I was sitting in the living room watching TV, when a show I was interested in was advertised. So, I paused, went to Search, and while slow, and having to go through extra steps, I got to the show I wanted to record. Wrong time, of course (time shown beside each show is 1 hour earlier than the actual time of the show, which is shown correctly under Show Info). So, I hit Enter, to set up programming. That NEVER works now. Hit Enter several times, gave up, went in and started my computer, searched quickly and found the show, and programmed the series. When I got back to the TV, it still had not gone to the screen to record the show or series - but - it already showed that the series was not scheduled to record. So, it's getting the information, but the input is just, plain hideous.