Posted May 23, 2013
8:04:38 PM
New Firmware Push to U-verse Receivers

Apparently, a new firmware version is being pushed out to all U-verse TV users.  According to the discussion on dslreports.com, one of the issues addressed is the infamous "blue light" issue.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28315854-New-Set-Top-Box-firmware-rollout?r=614#28317898

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
96 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(96)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 15, 2013 11:17:29 AM
(0)
Guru

What version is the new version?  My VIP1200 has version 2.2.28163.10 (RELEASE).

Re: New Firmware Push to U-verse Receivers

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 15, 2013 11:18:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

mikedamirault wrote:
@baseballisback, if Microsoft sells MR to who I heard they're selling it to, I have a bad feeling

I heard they were selling to Ericsson, the only Ericsson I know of is the cell phone manufacturer owned by Sony, and I have my issues with Sony, so if that's the case, I don't see MR going anywhere but down

Isn't AT&T well behind on the MR version anyway?

I kind of wish Apple did the STB operating systems but they don't play nicely with other companies.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 15, 2013 3:09:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

trparky wrote:

What version is the new version?  My VIP1200 has version 2.2.28163.10 (RELEASE).

Here are the versions:

Motorola VIP 2250:   2.2.28163.20

Cisco ISB 7005:       2.2.28184.50

Motorola VIP 1200:   2.2.28163.10

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 15, 2013 5:35:30 PM
(0)
Guru
@michail77, I agree, as a huge Apple fan myself, having an iOS (or OS X) based IPTV firmware/software would be amazing

It could open the doors for Apple TV functionality (AirPlay) or even an Apple TV as an STB (or IPTV on Macs, iDevices, or even through iTunes)

But Apple doesn't seem to be interested in the (cablesque) IPTV game

As for Apple not liking to deal with other companies, while Apple is pretty much a closed/proprietary company, they have branched out to some companies to have a larger footprint (mostly through HP), some of which include...

HP iPod
Apple printers (just rebranded HP printers)
Bell & Howell Apple II (desktop computer)
HP printers with AirPrint

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 16, 2013 6:04:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

Finally got the update on all boxes here in Charlotte. STB's especially peppy. Much quicker response on channel changes.

Love being able to key in a channel number quickly to hide channels. Even On Demand is a bit faster.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 16, 2013 7:43:47 AM
(0)
Guru

Anyone know why there's a .10 difference in the versions of the firmware?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 16, 2013 7:49:06 AM
(0)
Employee

trparky wrote:

Anyone know why there's a .10 difference in the versions of the firmware?

There are some differences between the boxes (Sigma versus Broadcom, Moto vs Cisco, etc) the differentiation gives the system a way to select the correct version for the box.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 16, 2013 8:04:31 AM
(0)
Scholar

texasguy37 wrote:

trparky wrote:

Here are the versions:

What about Cisco IPN4320? I guess I'll know if my blue light is out I have the new firmware.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 16, 2013 3:20:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

blujacket wrote:

texasguy37 wrote:

trparky wrote:

Here are the versions:

What about Cisco IPN4320? I guess I'll know if my blue light is out I have the new firmware.

The upgrade for all the older boxes would be 2.2.28163.10.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 16, 2013 3:55:33 PM
(0)
Teacher

How can I find out what the new features and fixes of the update are?

If there are truly over 150 of them, I'd like to read about what they are and what they do. Anyone have a link?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 16, 2013 4:21:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No, there is no link or information posted.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 16, 2013 4:24:15 PM
(0)
Teacher

Seriously?

Wow. That kinda sucks, huh?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 17, 2013 8:12:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

As of yesterday, my VIP 1225 and VIP 1200 both had the 2.1 version. Both run incredibly slow, although the DVR is faster than the STB.

Should I look in to getting a newer STB (non-DVR?) If so, what model should I ask for?

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 18, 2013 5:06:39 AM
(0)
Scholar

Got the update on all 4 of my boxes. :smileyhappy:  I had to reboot my dvr and one of my other boxes before the blue indicator light turned off. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 18, 2013 9:32:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I would love LOVE to see an update / bug fix list.  Amen to that!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 18, 2013 11:47:00 PM
(0)
Scholar

Got the update in Jacksonville Fl last night.

184.50 Wireless

163.10 DVR and STBs

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 19, 2013 8:15:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Our DVR updated one night last month.  But the two non-DVR STB's did not get their updates until this last two or three nights.  The one in the kitchen was the final one in our house to get it.   Biggest difference immediately noticeable is that the bright blue HD indicator light now turns off when the box is off.  But limited testing indicates that the On Demand service now is performing much more quickly....more like it used to do before IT was updated sometime back.  I noticed a change in the menu tab for setting screen format and HD settings.  I like it better.  All is working fine.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

STB firmware updates finally complete in our home

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2013 4:36:46 AM
(0)
Scholar

Finally got the update last night here in Raleigh Durham.

I've been waiting for this since I saw this post a few months ago.  Performance is definitely better.

But to me the primary upgrade is faster access to Closed Captions.  It isn't one button, but it is a LOT LESS.

For those who may not have seen it:

Enter(Zoom) Button -> 4 Scrolls down to "Closed Captions" -> Scroll Right to "On/Off"

Although it is a few button presses, it is so much better than the menu.  For starters, the enter button gives you the options on the right side pop out instead of an overlay.  And the scrolling is much more user friendly than all the "OK" pushes of the old way.

Not perfect, but so much better.  Finally!

Re: STB firmware updates finally complete in our home

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 22, 2013 7:10:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Well.......we did discover a glitch.  My wife started complaining that programs she ordered recorded.....were NOT recording.....even though they showed up as being scheduled for recording on the menu.

So, before calling CS, I performed a hard reboot of both STB's by pulling the power connector and reconnecting.  Then I did the same with the DVR.  After that everything seems to be working OK.  I tested it and recordings are being made as ordered.  I wonder if there was some problem with the DVR (updated last month) recognizing the freshly updated STB's.  Oh well.  Not important....works now.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 23, 2013 4:03:56 AM
(0)
Mentor

I got the update night before last on everything at once, DVR - VIP1225, STBs VIP1200s, in Ann Arbor Michigan area. The DVR is a TON more responsive now, like night and day difference.  A lot of little things like updated graphic pictures in the menus and in the guide.  Blue light finally turns off.  On demand is a little more responsive as well, I still don't like all the extra button presses to get anywhere in the on demand system (even in menu view), but it works a little snappier now.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 23, 2013 1:42:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Our DVR got it yesterday.  I haven't checked the STB's yet.  I haven't used it enough to form any opinion.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 23, 2013 2:06:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

JefferMC wrote:

Our DVR got it yesterday.  I haven't checked the STB's yet.  I haven't used it enough to form any opinion.

My system is bass ackwards.  The STB's got the update, sometimes over the weekend but not the DVR.  I may do a hard boot on the DVR but something tells me that it has not been pushed yet.  I don't use the zoom / enter button so other than the "Press OK to watch" splash being changed to the press ok / tips and a "Watch the next episode" option where there are multiple recordings, I have not noticed much different.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 23, 2013 3:00:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:
 the "Press OK to watch" splash being changed to the press ok / tips and a "Watch the next episode" option where there are multiple recordings, I have not noticed much different.

First two things my wife noticed.  The problem with the "Watch the next episode" button is that you have to remember to come back and delete the episode you just watched.  Hitting erase, then selecting the bottom episode seems better.  Oh, wait, that's what we were doing before the update.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 23, 2013 5:22:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

STB's updated as well.  Blue light is now out when STB in standby.  I see the issue with the favorites menu... great to set up on the ENTER key... but no way to use.  Inadequate user story, me thinks.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 24, 2013 11:30:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

JefferMC wrote:

dhascall wrote:
 the "Press OK to watch" splash being changed to the press ok / tips and a "Watch the next episode" option where there are multiple recordings, I have not noticed much different.

First two things my wife noticed.  The problem with the "Watch the next episode" button is that you have to remember to come back and delete the episode you just watched.  Hitting erase, then selecting the bottom episode seems better.  Oh, wait, that's what we were doing before the update.

Right you (and your wife) are, Jeffer!  I thought of that myself.  Maybe on the next update, there will be an "Erase/Watch Next Episode" option.

Going back to the issue of the STB's having the new release and not the DVR.  I did a reboot and BAM! there was a note about the new update.  So, if your STB's have it but your DVR does not, you might want to reboot it!

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 24, 2013 12:39:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

JefferMC wrote:

dhascall wrote:

First two things my wife noticed.  The problem with the "Watch the next episode" button is that you have to remember to come back and delete the episode you just watched.  Hitting erase, then selecting the bottom episode seems better.  Oh, wait, that's what we were doing before the update.

The mobile app works wonders when it comes to deleting.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 29, 2013 5:04:51 PM
(0)
Scholar

The blue hd light has returned on my dvr. Weird:smileyindifferent:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 29, 2013 5:29:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

blujacket wrote:

Is this when the DVr is turned off?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 30, 2013 3:34:34 AM
(0)
Scholar

texasguy37 wrote:

blujacket wrote:

Is this when the DVr is turned off?

Yes. I checked it this morning and it was back off.:smileysurprised:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jul 30, 2013 3:02:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

blujacket wrote:

Yes. I checked it this morning and it was back off.:smileysurprised:

Are you connected with an HDMI cable or component cables?

[ Edited ]