Posted Aug 8, 2011
9:55:44 PM
I have a question regarding AT and T Uverse DVR's?
Edited by Caliboy101 on Aug 8, 2011 at 9:57:50 PM

My parents and I are switching to AT&T uverse from Dish Network. Everyone in the house is getting a DVR, but, I was wondering, if I have a dvr in my room, and, I record certain shows, will those shows show up on another TV in another room? Or will it just show on my TV? 

I'm not saying I will be recording adult type shows, I just don't want my brothers to make fun of me watching shows haha. Oh, and, not to add, I don't wanna deal with going through other peoples shows to find my shows. And any certain hours limitations on how many hours worth of shows you can record if everyone in the house counts as one. 
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Aug 9, 2011 5:53:10 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by spd2demun on Aug 9, 2011 at 5:57:35 PM

1 TV/person will have the DVR (only difference is it's a bit larger in size and has a hard drive inside).

Other non-DVR boxes, STBs, that all other TVs will have--they NOW have the same functions as the DVR.  (Pause/rewind live TV, schedule/cancel/delete recordings.)

All UVerse boxes do the same thing now, just the STBs are smaller.

There is no way to keep any other family members from seeing recordings.  Just one list, so the only time it becomes a problem is IF another family member records/watches the same program, then deletes it when they're through. 

Maybe they'll come out with personalized menus soon.

edit to clarify

Accepted Solution

I have a question regarding AT and T Uverse DVR's?

[ Edited ]
22 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(22)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 8, 2011 10:05:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

With U-verse, there is only 1 Total Home DVR (THDVR) per household.  The other boxes will be non-DVR set top boxes (STB's).  With THDVR, programs can be recorded from any TV connected to U-verse.  Also, all recorded programs can be seen and watched from any TV connected to U-verse.

See the link below for the capacity of the U-verse DVR.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401561&cv=803&title=How+much+storage+capacity+does+my+... 

By the way, how may TV's will be connected to U-verse.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I have a question regarding AT&T Uverse DVR's?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 9, 2011 2:47:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you for responding to me, sir.  :smileyhappy: 

I'm sorry, for all the confusion on my post, we just heard that AT&T uverse was really good, and my parents basically made the decision to try it after months of bad customer support from Dish Network.  My mom told me that we would all get dvrs in our room, she must of misunderstood the AT&T representative she was speaking to on the phone. 

And we're getting 4 of them.

And, I have another question, are there any other DVR's avaliable that aren't total home dvr? Or is that the only thing that AT&T offers? 

Have a good night, sir! 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 9, 2011 3:45:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
I'll jump in here:

Total Home DVR (THDVR) is the only system that Uverse offers.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Solved
Aug 9, 2011 5:53:10 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by spd2demun on Aug 9, 2011 at 5:57:35 PM

1 TV/person will have the DVR (only difference is it's a bit larger in size and has a hard drive inside).

Other non-DVR boxes, STBs, that all other TVs will have--they NOW have the same functions as the DVR.  (Pause/rewind live TV, schedule/cancel/delete recordings.)

All UVerse boxes do the same thing now, just the STBs are smaller.

There is no way to keep any other family members from seeing recordings.  Just one list, so the only time it becomes a problem is IF another family member records/watches the same program, then deletes it when they're through. 

Maybe they'll come out with personalized menus soon.

edit to clarify

[ Edited ]
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 10, 2011 9:00:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well, that sucks. But thank you for responding. 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 10, 2011 10:02:34 PM
(0)
Expert

YW. 

We haven't had any mishaps here with one family member erasing another's recordings, but we mostly record different programs.

A LOT of new features have been added since I signed up over 4 years ago, so there's a good chance some kind of personal lists will appear one day.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 14, 2011 11:58:30 AM
(0)
Mentor

spd2demun wrote:

YW. 

We haven't had any mishaps here with one family member erasing another's recordings, but we mostly record different programs.

Surely there are other reasons why one might not want one's own recordings to be visible to others.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 14, 2011 8:22:44 PM
(0)
Expert

Maybe, but that's the price you pay for living with someone/others. :smileywink:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 15, 2011 5:19:14 AM
(0)
Professor

Chuckles_2 wrote:

spd2demun wrote:

YW. 

Surely there are other reasons why one might not want one's own recordings to be visible to others.

Really, and why would that be?  If you have something like recorded shows to hide, what else do you believe that you should hide from your significant other.  Personally, both my wife & I pay the bills, we both do not care what the other person recorded on the tv, so it really is not a problem with us.  With adult type programming, there is a reason that it is on late at night, and if you feel that you need to record, so be it.  It is not my problem, because what ever you do, does not affect what I do with my U-Verse service.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 15, 2011 9:09:56 AM
(0)
Mentor

gregzoll_1 wrote:
Really, and why would that be?  If you have something like recorded shows to hide, what else do you believe that you should hide from your significant other.

Well, in my case, I wouldn't say hiding, but there are shows my wife knows I watch but likes to give me a hard time when she sees them show up on the DVR.  An example would be Phineas & Ferb from The Disney Channel. 

I would be for "Personalized" menus so that it's not hidden but you would have to concientiously switch over.  I'm sure my wife would like it so she didn't have to sift through all my Torchwoods and "geek programming" to get to her "Greys Anatomy" and other programs I couldn't care less to watch

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 15, 2011 10:06:42 AM
(0)
Professor
So, tell her that you will not complain about her shows, and she does not need to worry about yours. Since we have netflix, we tend to not record stuff that is repeated like Phineas & Ferb, and as for Torchwood, those get repeated too much, and can be found through other methods.

If anything, I give my wife a hard time about her nine episodes of Hungry girl, and my son recording Deadliest warrior. Other than that, only other stuff we record, is when we have a overlap in shows at the same time, and that program is not going to repeat in the near future to catch again.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 15, 2011 9:07:02 PM
(0)
Expert

All I can say is be glad you didn't live in a time when there were just the 3 major networks, and NO way to record shows. :smileywink:

I find it a plus to see others' recordings because sometimes there is something I've wanted to see, but didn't record/find it myself.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 16, 2011 1:52:38 AM
(0)
Tutor

I hope this service is worth it. So far, the customer support has been bad.  The date to install it was today at 9:00am. The dude gets here around that time, so far, awesome. Then he comes in at about 10:00am, and tell us that we may have a problem that he isn't getting good enough signal so he has called for a truck to see if we have good connection or not, and if we don't, they will deny us for service and if we do, he'll be back later today. And before he left he said the car would be here around 12:00pm and after he was done the driver would come and speak to us to let us know. 

Let's fastfoward to 2:00pm, we have yet to hear anything at all. So, we call the original guy, and, he doesn't respond.  So we call our local office, and, after we wait on hold for 20 mins, a guy gets on the phone and asks what our problem is, we tell him and he says ''Okay, let me check for you. Give me a second.'' We are on hold for 15 mins. (I kept track!)   And he tells us that a car came around 11 and they approved us.  And asks us to hold again so he can contact the oringinal dude, so we're on hold for about 15 mins again.  Didn't keep track. He must have a hard time getting in contact with him, like we did, but he comes back and says that he will try to get us in tomorrow morning but he can't promise anything. So, we're now waiting here until tomorrow morning on the hope that the guy will come.  But he may not and we'll get a confirm schedule in the morning. 

Such a hassle! 

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 16, 2011 3:04:56 AM
(0)
Expert

I gather you kept Dish connected? :smileysad:

If you don't get a firm answer tomorrow, contact David here:
http://forums.att.com/t5/The-U-verse-Lounge/To-Contact-David/td-p/2381353

Or since you're already running into issues, you might want to contact him today.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 20, 2011 5:33:29 AM
(0)
Mentor

When I had mine hooked up I also had signal quality issues.

I was really impressed with how hard the installer worked to resolve the issues which were caused by a combination of my distance to the "VRAD" (2200 ft. approx.) and connection issues along the lines between my house and the "VRAD". The installer called for a lineman to come out and after a little wait and a few trips around the neighborhood the two of them resolved the issues and I was up and running.

Now for the sad part and a bit of a warning. If you are at a long distance from the VRAD and/or the wiring in your area is old you may have limited HD feed availability. Each house gets 4 feeds (as of now and as I understand things) but depending on the strength and quality of your signal those 4 could be divided up in any combination from (1HD/3SD) to (4HD/0SD). I started out as a (1HD/3SD) feed but as improvements have been made in my area I my signal is now (3HS/1SD) which I find more than adequate.

Once you are up and running I suggest downloading "Uverse Realtime", a PC program that will analyze your connection and monitor many aspects of your Uverse experience. Links to it are available in these forums and it can be highly helpful in resolving issues when dealing with technical support.

Once I started running it I was able to determine that my connection should support a higher feed than my original and by contacting Tier 2 (links also available here) and sending them my "realtime" stats they were able to upgrade my service.

Hope you enjoy your Uverse. Give yourselves time to get used to it and I am sure you won't go back to Dish.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2011 3:27:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well, there ARE other reasons. I record lots of stuff, and my wife doesn't want to waste time scrolling through all of it to find her shows.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2011 3:28:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

No, that's the price you pay for signing up with ATT. With Charter, you get a separate DVR for each TV.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2011 3:30:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

Sorry, but that's a lame answer. This has nothing to do with life in 1963.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2011 3:42:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by skeeterintexas on Sep 11, 2011 at 3:43:57 PM

Greyracer wrote:

No, that's the price you pay for signing up with ATT. With Charter, you get a separate DVR for each TV.

So, if you get a separate DVR for each TV, can you watch ANY recorded program on ANY TV?

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2011 3:51:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I don't see separate DVR's for each TV as a plus.   I had that setup before.  You can't beat THDVR.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2011 3:57:17 PM
(0)
Expert

I gather you're replying to me?   That wasn't life in 1963, LOL, were you even born yet?

So, what exactly is your problem with UV?  I see 3 posts, none are quoting references to anything here.

And UV does have a DVR (technically) for every TV, except only one has a HDD. :smileywink:  I had Cable with NO DVR, so I don't know what they did back in the *dark ages* for sorting recordings. 

I'm a DishTV customer for the next 2 weeks (not my crib), and they do have a Favorites List section where you can use colors to customize (do like that!), and options for Defaults--My Channels, My HD Channels, and All Channels.  Another section has My Lists--General, Local, Movie, Favorites.  Not seeing anything for each member of the household.  If Cable has something THAT advanced, I'd be surprised.  GOT SCREENSHOTS???

Greyracer wrote:

Sorry, but that's a lame answer. This has nothing to do with life in 1963.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 11, 2011 4:10:23 PM
(0)

Hello everyone, let's remember to stay on topic and keep it nice. Thank you.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!