For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
tlhall93's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, July 26th, 2014 6:06 PM

How to record PEG programs ?

I'm trying to record a program from Austin Channel 10, but it just doesn't seem to work. I'd like to schedule it, but can't figure that out either. When I look up help it tells me to reset the box, etc. but nothing helps.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

tlhall93 - No, the U-verse record capabilities do no encompass the community access. If you want to make a recording in real time, play the programming into an external recording device sucjh as a VCR, Check your community entity web site to see if the program is available for streaming.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Oh.

It sure would be nice to have this information on the support page so I don't have to waste all this time resetting my box, etc. 

Comcast used to let me record programs from the PEG channels.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

U-verse is not Comcast.  The technology and distribution infrastructure is completely different.

The information in links in this thread may be useful to you:

https://forums.att.com/t5/Using-your-U-verse-TV-Remote/Is-it-possible-to-record-on-channel-99/m-p/4034208

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@tlhall93 wrote:

I'm trying to record a program from Austin Channel 10, but it just doesn't seem to work. I'd like to schedule it, but can't figure that out either. When I look up help it tells me to reset the box, etc. but nothing helps.

@tlhall93- As you have read, there is no way of using the AT&T equipment to record the PEG / Community type channels.  My personal opinion is that AT&T wimped out on making them full channels but that was their call and they ain't changin.' 

Some interesting reading concerning AT&T's path:

Link 1"It allows them to continue their bad behavior."

Link 2:   "would fundamentally undermine the character of our local communities."

Link 3"doesn’t let customers record city council meetings, or school-board meetings"

I will say, if one has lots of time on their hands, and can "tune in" (app in?) at the right time, you could watch LOTS of content from all over your region.  My channel 99 has cities a two hour drive away.

As far as Austin goes, here is the website for the non-profit that runs the town's access channels.  I do not see an On Demand section which bites, so you may have to use a VCR to record the channel.  A big headache and not "Rethinking Possible," lol..

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

I find what AT&T is doing with PEG adequate to my needs, as I'm sure most other subscribers do.  It's the "the wonkish types whom fair-access laws are designed to serve" who make up a small percentage of the viewership who are affected.  It's probably a smaller percentage of subscribers than the percentage of those who have a third party router configured as a router behind their RG.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

I find what AT&T is doing with PEG adequate to my needs, as I'm sure most other subscribers do.  It's the "the wonkish types whom fair-access laws are designed to serve" who make up a small percentage of the viewership who are affected.  It's probably a smaller percentage of subscribers than the percentage of those who have a third party router configured as a router behind their RG.

You are probably right.  I do remember grabbing my popcorn here in Indianapoilis with all of the happenings between the Cable Franchise Board, Comcast  and your "wonkish" types. Smiley Very Happy  Comcast did not want to pay the $30,000/year to maintain a Public Access production facility.  So, they denied all Public Access except for Government meetings and boards.  I will say that there was some fairly interesting documentaries on Chqannel 16, before Comcast greased the Cable Franchise Board and curtailed running them.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.1K Messages

10 years ago

I do understand the intent of the PEG requirements, which is that the public utility is to return some benefit in exchange for the exclusivity that franchise authorities give them.  I think AT&T is meeting this requirement.  I think that a lot of governments do have on-demand available which obviates the need for DVR.  The cost incurred of trying to get timely and accurate information for the programming grid alone makes me wonder if the ROI is there (because, when you get right down to it, we'll be paying the costs).

It is useful to be provided access to public meetings.  However, if I'm really interested in what's going on at County Council, I'm going to go sit there and/or talk to others who were there before and after the cameras were rolling.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

I do understand the intent of the PEG requirements, which is that the public utility is to return some benefit in exchange for the exclusivity that franchise authorities give them.  I think AT&T is meeting this requirement.  I think that a lot of governments do have on-demand available which obviates the need for DVR.  The cost incurred of trying to get timely and accurate information for the programming grid alone makes me wonder if the ROI is there (because, when you get right down to it, we'll be paying the costs).

It is useful to be provided access to public meetings.  However, if I'm really interested in what's going on at County Council, I'm going to go sit there and/or talk to others who were there before and after the cameras were rolling.

Exactly.  That is what happened in Indianapolis.  Public access was a cornerstone piece to allow the two cable providers (one in the city and one in the county), to win access to the landscape.  It took Comcast about 8 years to strip them down and the other company followed.  Youtube has made Public Access (like the fictional Wayne's World) a moot point on "cable."  Austin's PEG does not have a VoD option.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.