Posted Oct 15, 2013
Channel switch after recording

An annoying thing happens once in a while with the DVR...it doesn't seem to be repeatable.  After a night of recording on a couple of channels, say one ABC and one CBS show, the next day I turn the TV/DVR on (and it comes up on ABC from the last time I was just watching TV, not any recordings) and then hit the Recorded Programs button to review what was recorded the night before, the TV (or DVR?) switches to say a Spanish station.  I can go through my recordings to see what was recorded, but if I back out of the DVR and get back to TV, it's on the Spanish station.

Any idea why it would be doing something like that?

Kurt

Channel switch after recording

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 15, 2013
(0)
kschrader - A couple of things to consider when imagining how U-verse works.
The actual recording of episodes has nothing to do with the view of live or recorded shows.
The DVR or any other STB will come up on the last channel it was on.
While you can get to the recorded show area by menu, it is also a channel - 9999. If you are watching channel 1234 and you key in 9999 you will resume the currently playing recording or the menu if nothing is waiting to resume.
This is useful for the last button - while watching 1234, use the menu to select a recording & play it. While it is playing, hit the last button. You will go to current time on 1234 (not back where you left). Then hit the last button to resume play on the recording. The toggle misses nothing on the recording & does miss time on 1234. If you have a second TV to leave on 1234, you can toggle the first TV to a recording while the ads are on.

Also, since recordings are on channel 9999 chan up down buttons work. Once on the spanish station the last or back out will go there.

If you are still with me, the last piece of the puzzle is IR corruption. I had Fast forward buttons corrupt to chan up or chan down. To fix this you need to cover the IR sensor with a semi-transparent like described below. You could be experiencing a corruption of your button presses to two chan up clicks, landing you on channel 2 - the spanish station ole'.
More -

IR Issues

Going back 5-6 years there are many posts about IR interference. Remedies included taping over the IR sensor, hiding the STB, turning off auto brightness on the TV.

A common fault was the info button press corrupting to an STB mute action. The number of reports of this have totally fallen away. My personal initial primary problem was getting the zero to register. But, one day long ago that just went away.

Niles Audio Corp. makes IR repeaters & has a video on their web site showing the fragility of the IR coding that is used for U-verse & other boxes. They said their new line of repeaters could handle it. Oddly, a U-verse customer posted in this community that they had a NIles install that was not working & after they contacted Niles they did not get any satisfactory resolution.

I came to believe that the IR sensor is too sensitive, That the DVR is worse than other STBs. That command type buttons are worse than the number buttons. That, somehow software updates can make it better or worse, So, it is a moving target. Hard to pin down.

I noticed that the U-verse remote does work better than my Logitech Harmony model 700. I looked at the IR signal through a digital camera. It appeared to me that the Harmony IR signal is stronger than the U-verse remote. This reinforces my theory that the IR sensor is too sensitive.

Recently, my most common problem was FF and Play Buttons often corrupted to chan up and chan down more than six times a night while watching recorded shows, exclusively.

I happened to notice that I had a specific kind of "duct tape" covering the blue light on the STB. Actually, it just looks like duct tape, but is electrical tape available at the Home Depot in the electrical dept. - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-2-in-x-150-ft-Vinyl-Electrical-Bundling-Tape-Silver-3...

This tape has a degree of transparency. I thought I would use it to cover the IR sensor. The remote has never worked better. In over 20 evenings since I applied the tape - watching recordings while FF through the ads - I have not had one chan up - chan down corruption . Previously, there would have been at least 6x20=120 occurrences.

Almost all button presses are accepted & none are changed to a different action.

RF Issues

It should not be a surprise, but it is, that half the problems with the RF remote are IR. I run an STB well hidden for a second TV. I had the IR sensor covered with black tape. I replaced the black tape with the "duct tape" & saw an immediate improvement in response to menu buttons. The number buttons were already good - see below for that solution.

The STB using RF must be hidden due to the dongle conversion of RF to IR. If it is not hidden it is subject to the following problems:

IR corruption - Ironically, the RF remote was often offered as a resolution for IR problems. But, if the STB is not hidden nothing has changed to eliminate theI IR corruption problem. If the corrupting light can be seen by the STB IR sensor it will continue to corrupt the IR signal.

If the STB IR sensor can see IR from another remote, it will respond to it.

If another STB can see the IR generated by the dongle, it will respond to it.

Note that hidden means the IR does not see outside light - If you have an optical repeater(like the Niles mentioned above) it is IR subject to corruption. If you have an IR receiver that produces RF to go through a wall, it is still IR subject to corruption. Any optical link open to the room is still open to IR corruption.

Only if the remote is RF (like the point anywhere remote) transmitted to a well hidden device will it ward off IR corruption. The ultimate solution is a wireless remote app. These are available, but incomplete & other devices do not yet support wireless remote. But, the Buddy TV remote can be used for a u-verse STB.

Previously, I found the RF remote lacking in RF power - in the same room, twelve feet away, hidden only by a thin sheet of cardboard. One method to increase RF power is to hold the remote under your chin while pressing a button - using your head as an antenna.

A better way is this antenna placed in the battery compartment - http://www.amazon.com/Cellular-Innovations-A-BOOSTER-Universal-Antenna/dp/B00009WCAP/ref=sr_1_8?ie=U...

With this antenna, the channel numbers are almost always accepted. With the "duct tape" in place, the other buttons work almost every time. The remote now works better than ever.

STB Issues

Once IR and RF issues are resolved, there are timing issues with the STB to contend with. Numbers process fast and Menu items process slow. You need quick, light touch on some numbers to avoid duplicates and a slow, strong press on menu activities. Effort is required to suppress the urge to press again while waiting for a response. It takes concentration to get effective results. Frequently a second press immediately cancels a slow responding first press. Current IR and RF issues amplify the effect of the timing issue.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Channel switch after recording

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013
(0)

Hi kschrader,

I am so sorry you are having these issues with the random channel changes. I think aviewer is right in his diagnosis. I had the same problem, but it would happen during other times, while using the remote.

With the IR signal that comes from the remote, it may be getting scrambled and causing these undesired results.

For me, my issue was my TV. The lighting didn't help out too much either. But the TV's brightness was causing my issues. By lowering the brightness, everything started working normally. Another thing you can try is moving the STB further away to see if there may be something else in that area that is causing problems.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013
(0)

aviewer -

My head is spinning.  I really don't see how any of that could be the issue, but I'll reread it...reread it a time or two. :smileyhappy:

The thing that baffles me is that I would never go to the Spanish station.  I have never manually gone to the Spanish station, either while viewing or setting recordings.

So my situation might be something like this:

- I'm watching 1234 and decide I need to set up some recordings for later that night

- I switch to Recorded TV and change over to the Guide

- I program Channel 1111 for 7-8pm

- I program Channel 9999 for 8-9pm

- I program Channel 8888 for 8-9pm

- I back out of the DVR settings and get back to Channel 1234

- I turn off the TV/DVR (the one middle power button the remote does that)

The next day, I turn on the TV/DVR (again the one button) and it comes up on Channel 1234.  I finish watching the news, etc., decide it's time to watch something I recorded the night before.  I push the Recorded TV button on the remote, the TV signal switches to Channel 5555 and in a few seconds, the listing of recorded shows appears on the screen.  Channel 5555 is still playing in the background.

I don't go to 5555...never have...except when the system does it on its own.  As I said, it's not repeatable.  I just had a session as I stated above.  I watched one of the local stations, hit the Recorded TV button but the channel DID NOT change to 5555...it stayed on the local channel I had been watching.

It's more of an annoyance.  I'm having trouble figuring out how something else could be causing this.  Maybe if I knew the frequencies of 1234 and 5555 or whatever...that might explain something.

I guess I'll just have to continue to live with it.

Kurt

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013
(0)

Have you noticed this issue on other TVs in your house. If not, it may be worth seeing if there is something wrong with the remote, and taking the remote from the other room and testing it out.

-David T

If you encounter any issues with your service or equipment, I recommend checking out our Troubleshoot & Resolve solutions to help diagnose the issue.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 16, 2013
(0)
kschrader - You do not believe me! You do not even consider trying it! OK. Here is a very simple way to find out. If what you just said is true.

I believe you are describing the unwanted spanish channel as 5555 and you are saying it sometimes appears in the background of the recordings menu when you push the recordings button while on one of your local channels.

As a test, in the morning do not ever press the recorded TV button. Instead access your recordings in one of two ways - enter 9999 or Menu, right arrow, OK. I know, it is an effort, but it is different IR.

If you do that, you will not conjure up the spanish channel. If it works, try the tape. It will never happen again.

Also, what is your zip code so I can look at your channel line up.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2013
(0)

David - I have not noticed the problem with the other STB and remote in the other room.  I tend to not access the DVR from there.

aviewer -  I didn't know there was another way to access the recordings and will try that.  As I said, the situation is random, so it might take some time to experiment this new way before I can draw any conclusions.   BTW...my zip code is 78249.

Kurt

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2013
(0)

I see your in SA too!!  I have had a different scenerio regarding pressing the button to get to the recorded list.  This happens sometimes.......I press the button to go to view the list of recorded shows and the circle starts spinning in the lower right corner.  If I wait VOD comes up.  I thought I hit the VOD button by mistake but it's done this maybe 4 or 5 times.  It's not he remote because my wife has her own remote on her end table and she has seen the same behavior. 

It doesn't happen enough to be a P I T A so I just figured it would go away eventually. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2013
(0)

BeeBeeSA - Yes, it is the same problem. recordings are on chan 9999 and VOD is adjacent on channel 1. There have been a number of posts on getting multiple results from a single button press. You are getting a "recorded TV" activity followed by a chan up (extra press plus corruption).

kschrader's case seems a little more complicated & undefined. I am thinking. Chan 2 is broadcasting in spanish early in the morning. He is getting two chan ups followed by the correct "recorded TV"

It is caused by over sensitive IR sensor. It can be aggravated by a more powerful remote or ambient lighting, including the TV. It is probably worse on the DVR. So, the DVR could be swapped with another STB, except there may be other reasons not to make the move.

It does not happen all the time because many conditions must align.

I hate to have you go buy that tape. But, I know it works. I had multiple problems each night with corruption of the FF int either chan up or chan down. It has been many weeks since I put the tape on & I have not had a single IR corruption.

Check out this thread - http://forums.att.com/t5/Using-your-U-verse-TV-Remote/Delayed-response-using-my-remote/m-p/3628159#M... Starting with message 20.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2013
(0)

I might agree with you if this problem has been happening since day one, but i have had the same STB in the BR since 2008, the TV has been there since 2011 (previous Sony TV didn't have the issue) and this problem just started happening about a month ago.  STB and TV have not moved, no new furniture, lights, fans, nothing has changed.

Since the OP is having quirky issues I was throwing mine out since I'm in SA also.  Maybe its something in our area.  I'm not too far from the OP.  I know what it is......It's the NSA campus that's near us watching our Uverse!!  :smileyvery-happy: 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2013
(0)
BeeBeeSA - You are using logic. It is not logical. It is a moving target. It either works or it does not. I cannot guarantee it. Likewise you two now experiencing a problem will never know if it works if you do not try it. If at any time it is a hindrance, just remove it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 17, 2013
(0)

Yup...the NSA and those black helicopters has to be the issue!!

Kurt