rlnoonan's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Tuesday, October 21st, 2014 3:02 PM

Can't seem to record a program in the buffer.

Last night my wife was watching TV and had paused it for quite a while before getting back to watching.  She saw something funny and wanted to record it so I could see it later, but when she hit record she got the message "Cannot record previously aired program" (or something like that, I didn't see the actual message) and it did not record anything.  Can anyone explain what is going on here?  Yes, the real time was after the show was over, but she was in the buffer watching it.  The data is obviously available since she could still watch it and FF/RW.

Just for added info, she was watching on the actual DVR stb.  She was using one of the other stb's.  I don't know why it would matter, since the buffer should be stored on the DVR, but I read something while looking for information on this that suggested that it might make a difference.

Thanks for any help here.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

@Kong57 wrote:

when I watch a show and decide to record it works just fine. I get the whole show. If during that show  I decide to skip backwards to re-see something then try to record it only records from the point Im actualy at. 

The issue that I assume the OP was speaking of was trying to record a program AFTER the end of the show. 

For example, CSI is on from 7:00p - 8:00p.  You start watching at 7:00 but pause it at 7:40 then at 8:05 you try to record it.  It's not going to record since the program ended and even though you've still got programming in the buffer to watch. 

If you think you want to record it, you'd better hit the record button BEFORE the end of the program.  Once the program is OFF the guide, the ability to record is gone.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

@rlnoonan wrote:

Last night my wife was watching TV and had paused it for quite a while before getting back to watching.  She saw something funny and wanted to record it so I could see it later, but when she hit record she got the message "Cannot record previously aired program" (or something like that, I didn't see the actual message) and it did not record anything.  Can anyone explain what is going on here?  Yes, the real time was after the show was over, but she was in the buffer watching it.  The data is obviously available since she could still watch it and FF/RW.

Just for added info, she was watching on the actual DVR stb.  She was using one of the other stb's.  I don't know why it would matter, since the buffer should be stored on the DVR, but I read something while looking for information on this that suggested that it might make a difference.

Thanks for any help here.

It was a previous show so it could not record no matter where it was.  Generally you can't even get back to the previous show in the buffer once it passes the hour mark either. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

I had a similar experience a while back - NOT including the pause.

I was watching a show near the end & decided to record it. It would not record & the message was "previously viewed". It was not previous, it was current, but near the end.

I also often noticed a difference on the menu behavior - When I decide to erase a show that is currently recording, it seems like if it is early in the timeslot, it is a two step process - stop recording (erase not on the menu), then erase. If it is late in the timeslot, it can be erased without stopping it first (erase is on the initial menu).

Perhaps there is a milestone in the timeslot that triggers different behavior on each side of it.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

@aviewer wrote:

I was watching a show near the end & decided to record it. It would not record & the message was "previously viewed". It was not previous, it was current, but near the end.

I also often noticed a difference on the menu behavior - When I decide to erase a show that is currently recording, it seems like if it is early in the timeslot, it is a two step process - stop recording (erase not on the menu), then erase. If it is late in the timeslot, it can be erased without stopping it first (erase is on the initial menu).

Perhaps there is a milestone in the timeslot that triggers different behavior on each side of it.

I hit Record all the time at the :50-:55 on shows when I'm going to work to catch the end of something I'm watching.  Think the difference is I hit Last then Last again (don't want what I just watched) to get back and then Record, no buffer.

Can always just hit Delete on the remote to kill a recording at any time. Smiley Surprised

Chris

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

Yep, you can only record something from the buffer before it gets too close to, or past, the end of the program.  If in doubt, record sooner rather than later.

We have a recurring problem that seemed better in the release of the software from Spring 2013 to Fall 2014 than it is now, or was before.  That is when I press stop when watching a recording of an in-progress show that's nearing its end, then select Erase from the menu, I sometimes get a message saying that the show is being watched on another receiver (which it is not).  This used to happen a lot before the previous update, and seems to be happening more since the last one was installed.  It's not a big problem, but it's annoying.  What's most annoying is that all the menu buttons are non-functional once the modal message box is removed.  I press the Recorded TV button, reselect the show (which is always the 11:00 local news) and get a working menu where Erase then always works.

I suppose I should report it to @ATTU-verseCare so someone could look at the problem, but I never have.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC That used to drive me nuts when I couldn't erase it cause it was being watched on another TV, HUH?  I only have 1 TV hooked to the DVR, just can't be true, but this is Uverse, strange things happen.

Here's a good one, under the new software, pressed Info for the program I was watching got Info, then pressed it again to get rid of it and the Guide came up, pressed Info again, Info came up, pressed Info again and the Guide came up.

Got rid of it by pressing Exit to TV, like I said strang things on Uverse. Smiley LOL

Chris

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the info that it just isn't going to work.

Does anyone know why this doesn't work?  To me, this makes no sense.  The data is all there, on the hard drive already.  All that needs to happen is to copy the data to a file and make it accessable via Recorded TV.  There is no reason AT&T can't do this.  That should be a basic feature of a live TV buffer.

I guess this is just going to be another frustration for a seemingly simple feature that AT&T is overlooking. 

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

9 years ago

@mibrnsurg wrote:

@aviewer wrote:

I hit Record all the time at the :50-:55 on shows when I'm going to work to catch the end of something I'm watching.  Think the difference is I hit Last then Last again (don't want what I just watched) to get back and then Record, no buffer.

Can always just hit Delete on the remote to kill a recording at any time. Smiley Surprised

Chris

I can do the same things as Aviewer.  I have hit the record button just before the end of the hour and gotten the channel to record.  Unlike DTV you can only record the current show as it airs.  DTV would let you record any program that was in the two hour buffer.  I also noticed a week or so ago that we have the ability to record 4 hd programs at once.  This may have happened sometime ago, but it is relatively new to me.  Way to go ATT.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I will watch a little of a program then hit record.

If i'm late i press info--scroll to more showtimes--press it.

And you might get the same feature later or not at all.

Example

Click a movie by Adam Sandler.

Got into with about 30min left.

It was on Ch.129 FX.

So i scan a few days at about the same time. ( Use the >> towards the top of the remote)

Couldn't find it.

Pressed Recorded TV. Scrool across to

Add a Recording

Scroll Down to

Search

In the seach line i put in Click

It Showed up On 11-5-14 at 11:30 am.

Of couse you can do this with any show.

Guru

• 

644 Messages

9 years ago

when I watch a show and decide to record it works just fine. I get the whole show. If during that show  I decide to skip backwards to re-see something then try to record it only records from the point Im actualy at. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.