Posted Mar 16, 2011
8:18:23 AM
U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 16, 2011 6:52:30 PM
(1)
Expert

There is no true bridge mode on the 2Wire routers.  However, you can still configure it such that almost all functions of your own router will work properly.

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP.  This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.

2. Plug your router's WAN interface to one of the 2Wire's LAN interfaces.

3. Restart your router, let it get an IP address via DHCP.

4. Log into the 2Wire router's interface.  Go to Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ

5. Select your router under section (1).

6. Click the DMZPlus button under section (2).

7. Click the Save button.

8. Restart your router, when it gets an address via DHCP again, it will be the public outside IP address.  At this point, you can leave your router in DHCP mode (make sure the firewall on your router allows the DHCP renewal packets, which will occur every 10 minutes), or you can change your router's IP address assignment on the WAN interface to static, and use the same settings it received via DHCP.

9. On the 2Wire router, go to Settings -> Firewall -> Advanced Configuration

10. Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.

11. Check everything under Outbound Protocol Control except NetBIOS.

12. Uncheck NetBIOS under Inbound Protocol Control.

13. Uncheck all the Attack Detection checkboxes (7 of them).

14. Click Save.

Your router should now be able to route as if the 2Wire was a straight bridge, for the most part.

Inbound port 22 might be blocked, and inbound ports 8000-8015 might also be blocked, and there's nothing that can be done about it.

This is how I have my 2Wire configured, and I have a Cisco 2811 behind it doing IPSec, IPv6 tunnels, etc.

586 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(586)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2013 4:08:47 PM
(0)
Expert
The 3600 is actually the same hardware as a 3800, but with the coax section removed.

The 3801 is newer hardware, with a faster processor, better switch hardware, better VDSL chipset, and newer revision HPNA chipset. I would recommend you stay with the 3801.

All 3x00 gateways from AT&T run the same firmware, so the feature set and operation is identical.

Since you have business class service, you should be able to call and have PTR records set up for your static IPs, but I know some customers in the past have had trouble getting in contact with the right people to make this happen. If you run into problems, sent a PM to customer care here on the forum.

If the RG is at 192.168.2.254, and your DMZPlus is setup correctly, then the WAN interface of the Astaro will get a public IP. The LAN IP of the Astaro should be 192.168.1.x (different subnet than the RG). Now all you need to do is add a static route to the Astaro that 192.168.2.0/24 is accessible via the WAN interface. Once that's done, you can browse to the RG using http://192.168.2.254 from inside your firewall.

Correct, the LAN IP of the RG and the WAN IP of the Astaro do not have to be on the same subnet, which is weird, I know. This is because the RG routes packets to the Astaro at layer 2 via MAC address, so it's IP address becomes irrelevant as far as the RG is concerned.

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

361 of 587 (3,170 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2013 4:10:36 PM
(0)
Explorer

One more most important question. If the DMZPlus mode "pass through" goes from the RG to my Firewall (WAN NIC) with a static public IP then how could there be any conflicting traffic if my network is 192.168.1.x and the RG LAN IP is 192.168.1.x? Since I would have nothing else connected to the RG and my Firewall's NIC would be processing the traffic with its own NAT how could the RG get confused or interferance if it was just passing all traffic through?

Also even if the RG is processing/routing traffic through the DMZPlus mode that means it is seeing past my WAN NIC public IP and able to see the other LAN NIC on my firewall and see devices on my network? Doesn't make sense really.

Another concern is the Astaro firewall (linux based) runs on a VMWare ESXi box with my Server and Exchange. There are two physical NICs and two physical MAC addresses for each card and I've really only had Comcast SMC and an older Comcast modem/router in bridged mode where I just simply set the WAN NIC for public static IP with subnet mask and default gateway. So I'm concerned that this Vmware VNICS are maybe causing the RG confusion and resulting in that speed processing problem?

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

362 of 587 (3,168 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2013 4:18:02 PM
(0)
Expert
The problem with having both the RG's LAN and your firewall's internal LAN as the same subnet is two fold:

a. After the DMZPlus mode is enacted, there is no routing conflict and things actually will work. But because of the way that DHCP works on the RG, you have to allow your firewall to get a private IP first before you can switch it to DMZPlus mode. During that time, you have an illegal network configuration with the same subnet on both interfaces of the firewall, and because MAC addresses get cached in all devices, this will cause problems with the switch-over to DMZPlus.

b. You cannot reach the RG from inside the firewall in that configuration, because you can't insert the proper static route into your firewall.

On your ESXi box, remember that the NIC physical MAC is only used for traffic originating or terminating on the ESXi box itself. Traffic to and from VMs uses the configured MAC address in the VM setup options, which is different.

In any case, the physical interface connected to the RG needs to be isolated at the layer 2 level from the physical interface carrying internal LAN traffic. Do not let both NICs be connected together through a switch such that they can see each other, because things like proxy ARP will get in the way of proper routing and cause problems.

363 of 587 (3,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2013 4:18:40 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by Pentium on Jan 17, 2013 at 4:26:01 PM

Astaro firewall management shows this for the interfaces.

Eth0 being my LAN on 192.168.1.x and Eth1 is the WAN with the static IP, snm, gw

Both seem to provide a different MAC address. As a side note I used to actually run all traffic LAN and WAN through a single VLAN NIC interface and some items such as my Bluray player, Samsung TV and other smaller devices had issues connecting to the internet, since I added a second physical NIC I've had none of those issues for about 2 years now.

eth1Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE]
Slot:n/a
Auto negotiation:On
Supported link modes: 
MAC Address:00:50:56:12:32:11
Interrupt (IRQ):19
PCI Device ID:0x2000:0x2000
MII capable:No
HA link monitoring:Yes

eth0Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE]
Slot:n/a
Auto negotiation:On
Supported link modes: 
MAC Address:00:50:56:23:11:31
Interrupt (IRQ):18
PCI Device ID:0x2000:0x2000
MII capable:No
HA link monitoring:Yes

[ Edited ]
364 of 587 (3,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 11:40:33 AM
(0)
Voyager

does this allow for the Airports 1000base/T (Gigabit) speeds ? Tech is telling me they cannot turn off NAT services and do not offer a dedicated Modem.

365 of 587 (3,115 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 12:05:49 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by Pentium on Jan 18, 2013 at 12:12:57 PM

decoff wrote:

does this allow for the Airports 1000base/T (Gigabit) speeds ? Tech is telling me they cannot turn off NAT services and do not offer a dedicated Modem.

I can at least help with this question. The 2wire 3801 has 10/100 ports, I'm going to assume the 3800 and 3600 are the same.

Even if you had gigabit ports on it the internet isn't going to come in any faster unless you approach a 100mbps internet connection actually even if you were at a 50mbps or higher you might want GB ports but I think even at 50mbps a 100mbps port would be ok. Suggest if you want to have gigabit on your LAN to use what a lot are doing in this thread and do the "ip passthrough" since none of AT&T Uverse VDSL (except older DSL tech) have a router/modem that will fully bridge.

With the help of SomeJoe7777 who is well known by AT&T techs I am going to be trying to "pass through" all my traffic this evening and see if my erratic download and upload speed tests are gone with his solutions. My install was excellent, less than 48 hours and I am fully installed!!! The disappointment however is as others have mentioned ping times tend to be a little higher. This might have mattered when I was younger in the BF2 days where I played a lot of ping sensitive games.

Speed tests 23-23.5mbps down and 2.8-2.9mbps up very nice... Max user rate 54mbps/8mbps Profile 32mbps/5mbps (pretty standard) I was told I was 1200-1700 ft from the vrad so when pair bonding and 48mbps comes out I should be good to go several pairs of copper available near my location.

Of note to some people I'm on AT&T Uverse Business Class, when I browsed online with the modem to agree to terms setup accounts etc. I noticed the 250GB limit (which they haven't started metering yet) but this limitation says clearly "Applies ONLY to residential customers" I confirmed that with tech support and a supervisor. Pretty much on par with Comcast no usage limitations on business. Already did checks on my static IP and it is clear from all spam/blacklist databases.

Remember everyone that is on Comcast or other cable providers, when the physical cable is cut or damaged hundreds of people go down like the old Christmas tree lights if you are on that node you'll be down. Also power outages you'll lose your internet (at least here it goes down). I've found in the past when dealing with AT&T (then Bellsouth) I always had a truck roll immediately even in the night if necessary and better tech support. This would probably not apply the same for residential support as you probably get thrown overseas.

I really do hope that I can post great results when tomorrow when I can bring my existing connection offline and setup the uverse connection to my firewall. AT&T offered me a great rate and locked me in for 2 years at my request, in which time I can elect to upgrade or downgrade my plan if necessary. No monthly modem fee either, where Comcast was raping me for $7 a month and wouldn't even allow me to buy my own.

Last note back Oct 2005 when Hurricane Wilma hit south florida (eye passed over my city) light to moderate damage I had cable and it took them over a month to get it working again. Meanwhile the day after the storm I ordered a Bellsouth ADSL and since I had an old modem and a pots phone line I was up in 3 business days. Found out from others that Bellsouth DSL never went down, all wires underground and self powered. Not sure if AT&T Uverse would stay up without power but it sure isn't run next to power lines. This doesn't apply to some people that have cable buried underground.

[ Edited ]
366 of 587 (3,109 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 5:06:30 PM
(0)
Explorer

Just informed by AT&T that my Public IP block starts with 172.x.x.x although my router receives its DHCP address as a 108.x.x.x was told that I could not follow or use DMZPlus mode with a static IP address because that's how AT&T does things. Period end of story after over an hour of arguing. How am I supposed to setup a PTR record with 2 different networks? Ridiculous and inexcusable. I'm going to try calling back a few times but it seems I am going to have to cancel my service.

367 of 587 (3,085 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 6:10:37 PM
(0)
Expert
While most of the AT&T help desk technicians cannot properly answer the technical questions about their network and gateway setup, it is unfortunate in this instance that he does happen to be mostly correct.

The AT&T gateways do not have the ability to insert a static route, so you cannot route a static IP block behind your own routing device.

Also, if they gave you an IP block of 172.16.x.x through 172.31.x.x, then you're behind Carrier-Grade NAT anyway, so you couldn't run servers on those IPs even if you tried.

There is an extremely complex work-around to use a static IP block behind your own router, but it requires either a custom coded Linux box, a Cisco IOS router capable of running Hot Standby Router Protocol (HSRP), or the router has to have some type of ability to present multiple MAC addresses on it's WAN interface.

For your requirements, it's looking less and less likely that you're going to be able to set up your network like you want. I would recommend you take a look at a provider who can provide a true business solution.

368 of 587 (3,075 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 6:19:40 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by Pentium on Jan 18, 2013 at 6:27:20 PM

Supervisor at AT&T helped me and configured the router for me and I took NOTES!

He was able to assign my static IP so that my WAN NIC on my firewall has the same 172.9.x.x range it is not a private range. He reset to factory defaults then went to do the following:

Broadband, Link Configuration, Supplementary Network >Enable>Router Address 172.9.x.x>Subnet 255.255.255.248>AutoFirewall Open check

Settings>LAN>IP Address Allocation>

Device XYZ

Firewall Disabled

Address Assignment> Public (Select WAN IP Mapping)

WAN IP Mapping > Public Fixed: 172.9.x.x

Firewall Applications>Pinhole>DMZ>DMZPlus mode

The confusion came from the previous tech telling me that we would assign my 172.9.x.x static IPs to the device but that the outside world would see my "sticky IP" that you get when you release renew your RG 108.233.x.x that is why I flew off the handle after him telling me that's just how it works etc etc. Now the supervisor is setting up my PTR record for RDNS (up to 48 hours) so that mail will function properly on my static IP.

Again directions in Post #2 don't apply but when you examine my configuration I am in DMZPlus to the MAC of my firewall's NIC (currently going to my laptop to test) but speeds are excellent. Working great so far. Will report back when entire network is working through my firewall.

[ Edited ]
369 of 587 (3,103 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2013 6:31:00 PM
(0)
Expert
Oh, you only wanted to use one of the IPs from the static block? If that's the case, then yes, that method that the supervisor told you is correct and will work perfectly.

I was under the impression that you wanted to use the 172.9.x.x addresses BEHIND your firewall, which isn't possible without the trickery I mentioned above.

370 of 587 (3,092 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2013 3:51:36 PM
(0)
Voyager

I am trying to use the 3600HGV as a bridge and use the Airport Extreme (5th generation) as my router.  I am trying to follow SomeJoe's instructions in message 2 to active DMZPlus on the 2Wire to emulate bridge mode, and set up the AE as my router.  

At Step 8, after reboot of the AE, I verified the 2Wire had changed the AR's IP address.  The settings before the reboot were IPv4 address = 192.168.1.67, subnet mask = 255.255.255.0, router address = 192.168.1.254 (the 2Wire), DNS server = 192.168.1.254 (the 2Wire), and domain name = gateway.2wire.net.  After the reboot, the IPv4 setting changed  to 99.36.108.212 and subnet mask changed to 255.255.252.0, and router address changed to 99.36.108.1.  The DNS server address and the domain name did not change and remained 192.168.1.254 and gateway.2wire.net, respectively.  Using Airport Utility on a Mac Lapbook Pro, I then changed the IP address to static using the new address, and told the AE router to use DHCP and NAT as the router mode since it had been set at OFF (bridge mode)).  The settings also showed the DHCP range would be 10.0.1.2 to 10.0.1.200.  I tried to save all of that so I could go to Step 9, but I kept getting a message that no valid DNS server or domain name had been set.  I finally chose to ignore the message, the AR rebooted, and I went on and made the other changes to the 2Wire modem/router set out in Steps 9 through 14.

Now I am not getting internet service, which I guess means I have to change the DNS server and domain names in the AE router, which is the only step set out in message 2 that didn't seem to go correctly.  Can anyone help?  Is SomeJoe still posting? 

371 of 587 (3,064 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2013 6:18:00 PM
(0)
Expert
If you set your AE to use a static IP instead of DHCP, then yes, you will have to set the DNS server and domain manually.

You can use AT&T's DNS servers if you want:

Or you can use a 3rd-party DNS provider like OpenDNS:

Or Google:

For the domain name, it really doesn't matter, but you can put in att.net.

372 of 587 (3,053 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2013 8:31:11 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by Pentium on Jan 19, 2013 at 9:21:27 PM

Setup the 3801 exactly the same way it was connected to my laptop for testing. Experiencing the same issue as I did a year ago. My speedtests are erratic. All day yesterday I tested 22-23mbps all over with 2.8-2.9. Now I get 14mbps and 2.4mbps and the tests are erratic and often never the same even to the same servers. Just tested now and got 5.07mbps and 2.7mbps something seriously wrong. 3801 has been reset so has my Astaro. However if I plug my laptop in and obtain a 192.168.2.x IP and test it is full speed.

Same server from laptop on LAN IP just tested @ 23.03mbps / 2.91mbps ping 25

Going through my Astaro Firewall WAN IP tested @ 10.36mbps / 2.89mbps ping 32

Any ideas why this is happening would be greatly appreciated.

When I try to trace route places hop 3-13 time out when going through the Astaro firewall then hop 14-30 just keep repeating same ping reply but only first 2 replies 3rd always times out.

When I connect laptop to the DHCP Port 2 of the RG it trace routes just fine with no time outs.

This seems troubling as well.... Something is going on in this RG that the Astaro routing doesn't like... Feels like it has to do with something on this other "sticky IP" that starts with public IP 108.233.x.x (the RG is 192.168.2.254)

Tracing route to 192.168.2.254 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.1.17
  2    <1 ms    <1 ms     *     192.168.2.254
  3    <1 ms    <1 ms     *     192.168.2.254
  4    <1 ms    <1 ms     *     192.168.2.254
  5    <1 ms    <1 ms     *     192.168.2.254
  6    <1 ms    <1 ms     *     192.168.2.254
  7    <1 ms    <1 ms     *     192.168.2.254
  8    <1 ms    <1 ms     *     192.168.2.254
  9    <1 ms    <1 ms     *     192.168.2.254
 10    <1 ms    <1 ms     *     192.168.2.254
 11     1 ms    <1 ms     *     192.168.2.254
 12    <1 ms    <1 ms     *     192.168.2.254
 13    <1 ms    <1 ms  ^C

Update: any IP address trace route past the WAN IP of the firewall's NIC replies first 2 as seen above then 3rd is always * when it reaches its destination it repeats until it reaches max of 30 hops.

The only IPs I can successfully trace route are before it leaves the WAN NIC of the firewall, internal machines etc. This likely has to do with why my speed tests are very erratic data is not passing through properly.

[ Edited ]
373 of 587 (3,039 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2013 12:24:27 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by Pentium on Jan 20, 2013 at 12:49:19 PM

I think I have resolved this issue with my Astaro in ESXi Vmware. I thought it was many things including virtual nics vswitch etc.

Turns out the erratic speeds and pings and behavor stemmed from a packet filter rule on my internal interface to the outside. Instead of having the rule as Internal > any > Internet IPV4, I had and still was using a rule that was Internal > Any > External WAN....

This type of setup was from many many years of using Astaro any worked perfectly fine with any normal bridged router or modem that provided a static IP and default gateway. However, most of you reading this are aware the RG is far from "normal" it behaves differently because of the need for TV and Phone. Having been through more hours than I can think of this weekend I now know the reasoning behind the need for this gateway as a defense for AT&T at least. Hopefully they'll get one option for business internet only someday.

In the end it took me loading the new Sophos (which is Astaro) UTM V9 installation fresh as a new VM going through basic configuration by default it added the NAT Masquerading then I watched a youtube video of someone that spent about 15 minutes showing the installation of an older version V8 and when he created his "packet filter rule" which is now called "firewall" he pointed all internal traffic to a different destination as mentioned above instead of the physical WAN.

I am now pinging, trace routing, and speed testing the same as my laptop that is connected directly to the RG on DHCP. FYI through some research I found that trace routes are hit and miss when you are behind the RG as a static IP still not working exactly right. However I can trace route to my "sticky IP" and to the gateway of my "sticky IP" they begin with 108.233 and are similar I think to a serial IP on a T1.

AT&T had my PTR record for reverse DNS setup in less than 24 hours (not sure exactly when it was) but it could have been as early as 8 hours from when I requested it (they say it can be up to 48 hours) now I just need to change my MX record in my DNS and I'm all set. They opened port 25 for me in a few clicks. I might have slightly higher pings than I had with comcast but STABILITY factory is much higher when I run pingtest and voip testing I get 98-99% vs comcast 85-95% stable and jitter is better as well. Overall very stable connection.

Update: a few minutes later after walking away and returning to my desk I tested some more and like a lie detector test my speedtest.net got 4mbps down with huge spikes and valleys showing issues during the test. Different server 5.87mbps, at my wits end with this nonsense. Meanwhile my laptop that's testing connected directly to the RG using its NAT gets perfect tests from any server everytime.

[ Edited ]
374 of 587 (2,975 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2013 1:48:40 PM
(0)
Explorer

Using laptop as a physical NIC and I created a new VM of Win7 64bit install I was able to test the problem further. It is NOT present on the laptop as a static IP route 172.9.x.x and in the VM Win7 session with virtual nic and virtual mac the testing and trace routing are about the same. Still have a lot of * * * time outs though when going through the static IP DMZplus vs if a machine is connected to the LAN DHCP with the "sticky IP" as WAN (trace routes usually almost the entire route)

So I am now going to work with Astaro engineering as they can logon remotely and assess what is happening to the traffic and why it is behaving erratically. Simple solution would be for me to just hook up an old dlink NAT router but I have mail scanning, IPS etc on the Astaro/Sophos product and been using it for a long time.

I know it must have something to do with the way this RG does this Static IP routing to Sticky IP and perhaps they have a solution with some kind of DNAT/SNAT or masquerading. Late last night I changed to my Static IP for Comcast SMC and instantly was online so wish this RG would just bridge and bypass all this residential stuff. Comcast annoyed me enough though with billing that I am hopeful I can get this troubleshot and resolved for myself and others that run into this issue.

375 of 587 (2,880 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2013 5:47:43 AM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by Pentium on Jan 22, 2013 at 6:14:54 AM

After finding out what I believe to be the solution to this issue it seems this resolution will apply to a very very limited number of people.

First of all in a way I would have never found out about the issue without the RG being what it is, somehow the way it routes the packets affected my situation because it was not observed from any bridged router.

After a lot of hours was a blurb from one forum about vnic drivers in vmware reference http://www.astaro.org/gateway-products/management-networking-logging-reporting/45400-astaro-esxi-vm-...

Someone made a comment in response to another's post where he had erratic speed issues on AT&T Uverse his solution though was HTTP filtering enabled on his Astaro/Sophos configuration however my HTTP filtering was turned off.

Often times it seems by default many VMs use what's called a "Flexible" vnic adapter reference http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100180...

In my case with Linux (Astaro/Sophos) it was utilizing the vlance adapter which is quite older and likely not jumbo frames etc. even though it indicated it was linked at 1000mbps LAN and 100mbps WAN the vlance vnic adapter says 10mbps throughput. Not sure this is quite accurate since on my comcast I was getting 52mbps down and 12mbps up for 2 years on the same installation.

Be that as it may I needed to change the default OVF template and made Astaro/Sophos engineer aware that the installation guide to use the OVF should be changed as he agreed the flexible adapter is not really a good idea. I changed to E1000 adapter based on Intel Gigabit NIC and it ran almost identical to my laptop. After some time of testing I decided to change the "Guest operating system" of the install to Suse Linux Enterprise v10 64-bit which was required to utilize the VMXNET 3 adapter a 10 Gbps adapter and it is next generation highest performing. Speed tests indicate I'm getting same performance as my laptop now that's directly connected to the RG.

TL;DR - This won't apply to people running current gen hardware based routers or people running linux based that utilize a standalone machine (microATX etc) as the NIC drivers will not use a vnic. Anyone using Vmware should definately check and NOT use the Flexible adapter. My Server 2003 was using Flexible for no reason, changed to VMXNET 3 or you should at least change to E1000 or E1000e or VMXNET 2 (Enhanced) as it supports jumbo frames.

I'll come back to this thread in a couple weeks and hopefully report my happiness. Here is a link to an older DSL basic guideline of establishing a good sync which applies to AT&T UVerse if you are on VDSL SN Margin (DSL) = Noise Margin (VDSL) Line Attenuation = Attenuation http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16220

Just took a speed test 24mbps/3mbps Uverse FTTN

2454189665.png

[ Edited ]
376 of 587 (2,862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2013 12:41:33 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Bill-D on Jan 23, 2013 at 12:45:17 PM

I’m stumped.  I’ve had my 3800HGV-B configured exactly as described by SomeJoe7777 in message 2 of this 377 message thread.  For the last 9 months everything worked perfectly - until yesterday.

AT&T is having major network difficulties in the entire southeast (I’m in Florida).  Yesterday, my RG rebooted by itself and the WAN IP changed (it never changed before, for years, but no big deal).

All my 25+ devices are behind my Router (D-link DIR-655) and all seemed to be working after the reboot except my two VOIP phone adaptors (Ooma) which worked flawlessly for over 3 years on Uverse and DSL.

I could not make outbound calls to any numbers, even other Ooma VOIP numbers.  I hear no ringing and eventually get a fast busy.  Inbound calls ring and the Caller ID is correct, but when I answer, I get dead air and the caller still hears ringing.  It seemed some of the VOIP traffic is blocked but not the signaling.

I discovered that I could make my VOIP work by simply turning on the RG Firewall (by checking “Maximum Protection”, which automatically un-checks “Allow all applications DMZplus mode”) followed by doing a release/renew on my Router to get the new IP address.

Likewise I could return my VOIP to the failed state by turning off the Firewall by re-checking “DMZplus” and doing a release/renew on my Router.

This works, but seems totally backwards – Turning off the Firewall blocks traffic????    I can’t help but suspect that AT&T may have upgraded their network gear and caused this.  But I've searched and haven't seen any others with this problem, yet.

Rebooting of everything didn’t help and I even hit the Reset Button on the RG and did a fresh reconfigure, but that didn’t help.

My temporary work-around is to leave the RG Firewall on, but I want to turn it off because of the many devices that I have forwarded ports to (Slingbox, Cameras etc) and I don't want to have to open ports in both the RG and the Router.  I also only spend part-time at this house and my Router has good secure remote configuration capability and the RG doesn't.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[ Edited ]
377 of 587 (2,784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2013 2:10:03 PM
(0)
Explorer

You should be running Static IP with user defined supplimentary networks, located in Broadband > Status then scroll down after Internet Details it shows Public Networks and User Defined Supplemental Networks should be Status Enabled Router Address <Public IP of the router itself> then subnet mask.

If you aren't configured like this then you are using the "sticky IP" which is best described like a serial IP of a T1 etc. This is not guaranteed to stay the same as it is a DHCP on a Class B with 1024 IPs. AT&T made it clear with me last week that they won't troubleshoot issues with internal servers behind the RG such as mail or web and they won't setup PTR or DNS records unless an account has a static IP which makes sense.

Not sure if this is related at all and perhaps you were just getting away with the sticky ip as a static until it changed.

378 of 587 (2,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2013 2:52:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.

I don’t pay for a Static IP because I really don’t care if the IP address changes. My Router has a free dyn.com client that works fine, so I can reach my house from anywhere, even if the IP address changes. I also use the same Router at my other house, with DSL, and it works well with a regularly changing IP address.  My VOIP also doesn’t need a fixed IP address - it normally will work from anywhere.

My problem is how to “dumb down” the RG so my Router does all the work, like the DMZplus used to do - until yesterday!

The “Supplemental Network” that you describe is on my RG under “Broadband/Link Configuration” and not under “Broadband/Status”.

Question - Instead of using DMZplus as SomeJoe7777 described, can I use that “Supplemental Network” section to make my RG a “dumb” modem even if I don’t pay for a Static IP?

379 of 587 (2,748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2013 4:03:54 PM
(0)
Explorer

I believe you would only use the supplemental network with static IP assignment. The difference in location is probably because I'm using the 3801HGV. I'm going on 2 days now of testing and decided a few hours ago to change my MX record and my mail is flowing perfectly.

Since yours worked for so long it is very hard to recommend any changes. You could possibly try to get static IP assignment and utilize the supplementary networks which would make your RG on a static ip and the WAN interface of your router another static IP and wouldn't be the "sticky IP" that can change.

The only thing I can think of if all things are equal is that the sticky ip isn't bypassing the nat/firewall anymore like it used to? Sorry I don't have many more suggestions I'm pretty new to using this 2wire RG and gave up a year ago on it when I had issues.

380 of 587 (2,732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2013 5:22:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

For anyone that may stumble upon this thread with a similar problem to mine - It is now solved or, maybe I should say "understood".

The UDP-type tunnels to my Ooma VOIP adaptors stopped working after the big recent Uverse outage. This may be due to the MTU being knocked down to 576 or something else.

Ooma reconfigured me to a different type of VPN tunnel and both my phone adaptors are now running normally (with my Uverse Firewall set the way I want it - OFF - in what AT&T calls "DMZplus mode").

381 of 587 (2,723 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 26, 2013 6:13:16 PM
(0)
Explorer

I'm not sure of this stat "Output Power" I used the UV Realtime App and this stat shows in orange as if it isn't quite up to par.

The 12.9 dBm is downstream and -11.5 dBm is upstream, I'm on internet only no voice no tv and 24/3 FTTN. If anyone can direct me to the description and range of this stat or some examples of it I'd appreciate it.

Output Power12.9 dBm-11.5 dBm

382 of 587 (2,941 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile

383 of 587 (2,829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 8, 2013 5:54:13 PM
(0)
Voyager

I cannot seem to get this to work for the life of me.

Uverse Support said it wasn't possible to do what we're describing with the equipment I have. They told me it's only possible with the 2wire 2701.

I have the i3612V iNid and the i38HG.

I've tried two different routers to get this to work, and each time, I get an error that reads: 

Errors The selected device has a static IP address. DMZplus requires that the selected device use DHCP to obtain its IP address.

The thing is, both my router's WAN ports are set to DHCP. If I go into my LAN IP Address Allocation in the uverse gateway, I see that it gets confused on what devices are DHCP and which ones are actually static IP addresses. The routers are assigned DHCP addresses successfuly, but the i38HG seems to think they are static (wt-f???)

How can I get this uverse to recognize one of these routers as being assigned via DHCP. I don't get it, but these boxes are STUPID. If I can't get this to work, I'm going back to Time Warner, as I simply need to features that my i38HG can't provide. 

Also, I've made sure that the LAN subnet on my inside router is different than that of the i38HG.

Any suggestions?

384 of 587 (2,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2013 8:33:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I see you use the plural quite a lot... you have two routers behind the RG?

If so, you can't have them both in DMZplus mode.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

385 of 587 (2,054 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 9, 2013 2:17:07 PM
(0)
Voyager

Only 1 router at a time. Tried two because I thought for some reason one router was making the Uverse RG think it was getting it's IP statically. 

Any idea why the uverse RG would think that an IP is assigned statically when it in fact handed out the IP via DHCP?

386 of 587 (2,046 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2013 1:42:35 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by djgcue on Feb 12, 2013 at 1:46:55 PM

Wow, I read most of the posts in this thread over the last couple of weeks.  I'm mostly network illiterate so alot of the terms being used in this thread, I have no idea what it does or means.

I have a couple of questions.

First my setup: I have UVerse Max @ 12Mbps and UVerse TV w/ two receivers one is wireless.  XBOX360, Toshiba HDDVD player, a Sony TV all connected to the RG.  A PS3, Sony blu-ray player, WDTV Live, WDTV Play, Macbook Pro and a printer all connected wireless.  In addition, I have two Linksys WRT54GL w/ dd-WRT, one is setup as its own network in the garage (for connectivity of an IP camera), I believe as a repeater bridge?  The other is acting as a bridge on the same network as the RG (with another Sony TV connected).  I also have two Network IP cameras hooked up to each Linksys.

I received a WD My Net N900 which I would like to use as my router.  If I use this as my router will I see better performance, for example, improved internet speeds (my Macbook Pro is N capable), less drop outs with the IP cameras, improved media streaming?  Also, which installation procedure do I need to run from post #2 or post #13?  I'm assuming since I'll be connecting a XBOX360 to the N900 that I will need post #2?

I'm a little worried since I don't have too much experience with setting up networks and I don't want to cause any interruption with my connectivity.

[ Edited ]
387 of 587 (1,909 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2013 5:48:57 PM
(0)
Expert
It is doubtful that you will see any improvement in Internet performance. However, the wireless N may improve the IP camera issues since N wireless can carry more traffic than G wireless, especially when multiple devices are involved.

You should follow post #2 if you want to set this up.

388 of 587 (1,869 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2013 8:29:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks Joe!  When I get enough courage to install my WD router, I'll give #2 a shot.

389 of 587 (1,831 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2013 9:03:17 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have a separate problem going over on this thread, that has to do with www.google.com not working.  This has occured after I have setup my linksys wrt310n similar to POST 2 of this thread.  And I am also using openDNS as my DNS on my linksys router.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue with www.google.com not working after setting up the 2Wire - personal router like this.

Please see this thread and feel free to add your comment on that thread or on (this one):

http://forums.att.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/gateway/message-id/8737/print-single-me...

Thanks Ken

390 of 587 (1,825 Views)