Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

12 years ago

To do this you have to open all ports on the 2Wire router.  If you have already done this then I don't know what the problem can be.  I have similar setup but with a Belkin router and works fine with two different IP pools like you have.  FYI the two PC on the 2wire router will be more accessible to hacks with all the ports open...i have all my PC on my Belkin and 1 of my SlingBoxes and my Xbox connected to the 2wire since they could not connect through Belkin

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

^ I don't have all the ports open on 2Wire, but the LAN port that the router is connected to is set for DMZPlus.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

12 years ago

i followed Joe's instructions also and that's how i got mine to work...I think the DMZplus opens the ports but i can't remember since it's been awhile since i set mine up. Follow all his steps carefully again, i missed something the 1st time and on the 2nd try it worked...i had the cables in the wrong ports.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

ncinsguy1,

Don't follow the instructions in post 2 of this thread.  For your application, follow the instructions in post 13.  This will turn your TPLink into a switch + wireless access point.  You will not use the WAN port on the TPLink, just the LAN ports.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

^ That work perfectly, thank you so much!

I did see it before, but I figured I needed the other steps.

Thank you again! I can finally enjoy my gigabit network again. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Joe, (and everyone else), if you're still prowling around here, I could really use some help.  I've been at this for quite a while, so any advice would be hugely appreciated.

I have the 2Wire RG, a Time Capsule (1st gen), a Mac Mini running OSX Server 10.6, a pile of switches, and a block of static IP's from Uverse.

The environment is a small business (25-30 people in and out on laptops, phones, a couple of hard-wired desktops, etc.)

My goals are relatively simple, but  I can't seem to figure it out.

The main goal is to set up the Mini as an FTP server that can be accessed through the LAN and from the WAN.

Secondary goals would be wireless network printing, as well as two separate wireless networks (the time capsule serving specifically N-enabled devices, while the 2-wire would deal with everything else a/b/g, whatever).

Edit:  I also wouldn't mind having some DNS resolution for the Mini on the LAN.

This seems to be the only thing on the internet that I can find that deals with the 2Wire, so I hope you all can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

You should be able to accomplish what you want to do, but unfortunately, I know nothing about Apple equipment. (I have no idea what a Time Capsule is, LOL).

I recommend you start a new thread in the High Speed Internet section, and we have a forum member by the name of Oz who is pretty good with Apple stuff. I'll let him respond in your new thread and hopefully he can assist you.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Hey Joe,

I tried the other forum and Oz responded, but said he wasn't sure exactly what to do with the networking.  Maybe I'll give it another try and put it in more generalized terms, rather than specific hardware, since you seem to be the resident networking genius.

I think there's only a couple things tripping me up, and I should be able to troubleshoot on my own once I have the main skeleton figured out.

I have: A server that I would like to do DHCP, FTP, and some DNS Resolution; a wireless router that can be put in bridge mode, the RG, and a block of static IPs.

My main questions are:

Where do I need to point my static IP (to which piece of hardware)?

Do I need to add a supplimentary network in the RG setup?

Should I place anything in the DMZ?

Are there any ports I should need to open up?

What would be the physical cabling setup?

RG --> Router --> Server ?

Server

^

|

RG --> Router ?

If this still doesn't make sense, I apologize for bothering you.

Thanks again.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Well, here are the problems I see with what you're trying to do:

1. The 2Wire RG cannot route packets to a gateway (i.e. there is no way to insert a static route). This means that you can't use the static IPs behind your own router. You can use the static IPs for devices directly connected to the RG, or you can have devices behind your own router where that router is using NAT (DMZ setup), but you can't do both at the same time.

2. If you need DHCP and DNS services running on the server, the DHCP service on the 2Wire RG cannot be turned off. Since you cannot have 2 DHCP servers running on the same logical network, this pushes you towards the solution where your server is behind your router, and your router is doing NAT as the DMZ device.

I would set things up as follows:

1. Cabling should be RG -> Router -> Server.
2. Follow my directions in post 2 of this thread to configure your router as the DMZ device, so it gets the public outside IP.
3. Don't bother with your static IPs.
4. Open the FTP port on your router (port 21, with NAT help) to enable FTP services to your server from outside.
5. Disable DHCP on your router's LAN interface, enable DHCP on your server, configure it to hand out itself as the DNS resolver as well.
6. Your clients on your side of the router should now get DHCP addresses from your server, and use your server as the DNS resolver, and your router as the default gateway. They can also access the server on it's private IP address.
7. Outside users can access the server on FTP using it's public IP address (the DMZ IP address on the router).
8. If you want the server resolvable by name from outside, you will need to run split horizon DNS. This means that your inside clients use one DNS server (your own server) where it's name resolves to the inside private IP, and your outside clients use a DNS server where the server name resolves to the outside public IP.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Hi SomeJoe,

Thanks for the help in this thread -- I've been troubleshooting some issues and your comments have been invaluable.

I do have a question, though. I followed the instructions in post 2 on this thread (turning the 2Wire into a pseudo-bridge) and have a Netgear WNR2000v3 in the DMZ, with all my other devices hanging off the Netgear (had to do this because my wife works from home and has a SIP phone that connects to an IP PBX at her work that I simply could not get to play nice with the 2Wire, even in the DMZ).

I think I ran into the problem you mention in point 8 of that post, wherein after a short period of time the Netgear would just lose its Internet connectivity; I guess it was probably blocking the DHCP renewal packets. I followed your advice and set the IP address static and everything has been fine for 30 minutes now. Hooray!

My question is this: since the IP address I've set the Netgear to is actually the public IP address the 2Wire is assigned by AT&T, and it's not a static address, is that address likely to change regularly? I assume when that happens, my connectivity will break pretty hard. Do I need to get a static IP from AT&T? Do they even offer those to residential customers?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.