Treo600user's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 3:18 PM

U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Yes, you should open port 80 (HTTP), 21 (FTP), and 25 (SMTP) for those services. A few notes:

1. Port 25 is obviously very ripe for abuse. Make sure you have proper restrictions on relaying on your mail server. If it's not hosting a domain for inbound mail from the internet but is instead just a submission channel for that mail server's users, consider using a more secure method such as STARTTLS on port 587 or SSL on port 465.

2. I do not know how the 2Wire routers handle inbound FTP in reference to active/passive sessions. They handle it in the outbound direction properly, but inbound may be a different story. To fully support passive FTP you may need to also open port 20.

3. HTTP is on port 80, but if you're using any secure web sites, you would obviously also need port 443.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

My WAN Screen on my Belkin has the following options Dynamic, Static, PPoE, PPTP, Telstra and L2tP.  The 2Wire sees the Belkin up to step 6 then when I pick DMZ it say it needs to be in DCHP mode but I don't see anywhere to change this option...help please.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

The correct option for your Belkin is "Dynamic".

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

13 years ago

thanks i got to work, i had the cable from the router plugged into the wrong port on the belkin

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Joe,

Awesome support.  Been searching two days to find an answer to these questions, and finally came across this thread.   I have the 3801HGV and a NetGear WNDR3700.  I've got Cat5 from the RG to multiple settop boxes including an Xbox 360 slim using the AT&T Xbox kit.   The router is setup using your instructions from Post #2, and I have multiple desktops/laptops plugged into it as well as an HP WIndows Home Server with all of my movies, music etc.. My question is, if I have these setup on distinct subnets, is there no way for the Xbox connected to the RG to see the files on the WHS server? The reason I decide to use the Xbox was to be able to stream movies from the WHS easily.  

Hoping you can help.

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

Unfortunately, with a router-behind-router setup like this, XBox's are problematic. They have to be connected directly to the RG to be used as an STB, but need to be connected to your router to stream from your own server.

If you're not using it as an STB, plug it into your router to be able to stream from your WHS.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

I have a long and skinny house with the RG in a closet at one end.  Is there a way of adding a router as a wireless access point at the other end of the house using the instructions in post 13, but STILL KEEP THE WIRELESS ON at the RG?  If so, and if I set up all the info the same (using G instead of N, same SSID, same encryption scheme, same passphrase) and be able to roam wirelessly from one end of the house to the other?

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Yes, if you use an Ethernet cable from the RG all the way to the other end of the house, you can then plug it into a wireless router or wireless access point using the instructions in post 13. The only exception would be that you would also leave the RG's wireless turned on.

Set both the RG and your own wireless access point up as follows:

1. Same SSID (wireless network name)
2. Same Encryption type (I recommend WPA2-PSK, AES only)
3. Same password
4. Use different wireless channels spaced at least 4 channel numbers apart (example: RG on channel 6, your access point on channel 10).

This will enable you to seamlessly roam from one access point to the other.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Thank you so much for all this extremely valuable advice!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Hello,

I tried some of the tutorials in this thread, but I am still unable to get internet.

Here is what I am trying to do

I have two computers connected to the 2Wire router that came from ATT, and I have two more that I want to be connected to another router (TP-Link) because it's a gigabit router and I transfer files very often between PC3 and PC4.

I have a wire from a LAN port of 2Wire going to the WAN port of the TP-Link router. I followed the steps in one of Joe's first posts, and everything was set up like it said it would be. (The TP-Link router got the external IP and ect) However I have no internet connectivity on PC3 and PC4

I did tried changing routers default address pool from 192.168.1.100-200 to 192.168.2.100-200, but that didn't help.

Thank you for your time. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.