Posted Mar 16, 2011
8:18:23 AM
U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

I am having trouble properly configuring this AT&T 2Wire 3600HGV modem for my network. Maybe someone is aware of a different firmware for this product?

I am completely aware of how to setup the DMZ mode & router behind router setup in these boxes but that is NOT the point. (We have supported firewalled networked equipment working that has all the bells & whistles including QoS)

In the event of a factory reset of the AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem at this business, I want to properly insure the following business requirements are met:

- DHCP - OFF (at min, it appears you must leave one available?)

- WiFi - OFF (Yes this can be turned off, but bridging it always insured it was turned off in the past. ON is a security concern among just bad business i.e. conflict with other business WiFi, employees might see/use this non-content filtered WiFi, etc etc)

- & passing off internet service needs to be easy to another networked supported OUTSIDE of AT&T firewall. (I'm NOT asking for AT&T support on this, but in the bridge DSL world, this was EASY)

- if bridging this 2Wire is NOT an option, backing up the configuration settings would be a nice alternative but that is not available as well?

Bridging the old DSL modems always worked nicely but the 2Wire 3XXXHGV line appears to be the ONLY ones to support the AT&T VDSL Max Turbo speeds. 24Mbps down / 3 Mbps up which we use not only for normal business operations (credit cards, business email, web based training, etc) but this high speed is required to view onsite security video (3Mbps up) and offer customers FAST free WiFi!

AT&T U-Verse offers the right price, contract, speed, internet package & installers to properly handle our resturant locations company's data needs but I'm struggling with the their "business" support of this 2Wire VDSL modem product. We ONLY use the internet, no TV (not legally available for restaurants, yet). No Voip because POTS is our reliable backup. So it's just the internet service ...

For coverage on AT&T Uverse, we have over 50 locations lit up like a Christmas tree but sadly business support on this product is driving me nutz! Maybe because I now see this is listed under "Residential Gateway"? Is this AT&T 2Wire VDSL modem product not meant for business? Is anyone aware of another supported AT&T VDSL modem or a different 2Wire firmware available? Official AT&T support has me running in circles (AT&T U-verse support > AT&T Connecttech > AT&T Connecttech360 > AT&T U-verse support, rinse, repeat)  

help?

(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Mar 16, 2011 6:52:30 PM
(1)
Expert

There is no true bridge mode on the 2Wire routers.  However, you can still configure it such that almost all functions of your own router will work properly.

1. Set your router's WAN interface to get an IP address via DHCP.  This is required at first so that the 2Wire recognizes your router.

2. Plug your router's WAN interface to one of the 2Wire's LAN interfaces.

3. Restart your router, let it get an IP address via DHCP.

4. Log into the 2Wire router's interface.  Go to Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ

5. Select your router under section (1).

6. Click the DMZPlus button under section (2).

7. Click the Save button.

8. Restart your router, when it gets an address via DHCP again, it will be the public outside IP address.  At this point, you can leave your router in DHCP mode (make sure the firewall on your router allows the DHCP renewal packets, which will occur every 10 minutes), or you can change your router's IP address assignment on the WAN interface to static, and use the same settings it received via DHCP.

9. On the 2Wire router, go to Settings -> Firewall -> Advanced Configuration

10. Uncheck the following: Stealth Mode, Block Ping, Strict UDP Session Control.

11. Check everything under Outbound Protocol Control except NetBIOS.

12. Uncheck NetBIOS under Inbound Protocol Control.

13. Uncheck all the Attack Detection checkboxes (7 of them).

14. Click Save.

Your router should now be able to route as if the 2Wire was a straight bridge, for the most part.

Inbound port 22 might be blocked, and inbound ports 8000-8015 might also be blocked, and there's nothing that can be done about it.

This is how I have my 2Wire configured, and I have a Cisco 2811 behind it doing IPSec, IPv6 tunnels, etc.

586 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(586)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2011 8:11:56 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by bpape on May 9, 2011 at 8:12:53 AM

Right.  By default they were different but on the same 3rd octet.

Worked like a charm.  Just had to do an IPCONFIG release/renew on the wired clients and also renew on the router before setting it to static.

Now for some reason, my main laptop that was always wireless will only connect wired but that's not a big deal (at least for now) since it sits right next to the RG.  Really strange that it won't even let me VIEW the wireless networks even though I've cycled the adapter on/off. Have even manually started the WZC service but still no luck on that piece.

Will check it again after I reboot without the cable connected.

Thanks again for all of the assistance.

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

[ Edited ]
31 of 587 (15,418 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2011 5:37:12 PM
(0)
Mentor

How do you get the DMZ on the router to "stick"?

I've foolowed these diections - everything works great but the router eventually "falls" out of the DMZ in a very short time..

Re: U-verse for BUSINESS? : 2Wire 3600HGV bridge mode? or another AT&T supported VDSL modem?

32 of 587 (15,375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2011 6:42:17 PM
(0)
Expert

Jresner wrote:

How do you get the DMZ on the router to "stick"?

I've foolowed these diections - everything works great but the router eventually "falls" out of the DMZ in a very short time..

Factory reset the RG using the factory reset button on the following page:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_5_7

(Note that this will erase all settings in the RG, including any firewall setting you have, and you will have to set them up again.)

33 of 587 (15,370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2011 7:39:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi SomeJoe,

I have been following your posts, I have a question about a setup.  So I have the u-verse 3800 series router and I had wanted to run just a regular router without wireless behind it.  The beginning of this post I am posting to now, I think answered it but if I am asking again, say so. I was looking to get an 800 series to practice on for my CCNA.  I was going to go with a wireless but there would be no point correct if my only objective is to get my device to the internet so I don't conflict with the 2wire so my wife will still have access if I mess up something? Technically it would just be another IP address running on the 194.168.1.x network and still run behind the router of the 2wire.  So would I have to turn off my setting for the firewall and others that might conflict?  Apparently when the house was wired for phones cat-5e was used, so that's fine. I was going to have an ethernet ran from the LAN port in the back of the 2wire to the wall that runs directly to my office, from the wall another ethernet cable to the router LAN?, then on to me via another cable?  I could try to make a visio diagram if it makes it easier to understand.  I just wanted a wired connection to the web, but keep the wifi up on the 2 wire JUST incase I have to redo the cisco router for whatever reason?

Thank you for your time,

34 of 587 (15,362 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2011 8:08:57 PM
(0)
Expert

If all you want to do is learn your Cisco skills on an 800 series, you don't need to do any configuration on the 2Wire.

Just run an Ethernet cable from the 2Wire to your office, like oyu described.  Plug that cable into any Ethernet interface on the Cisco 800.  Then run another Ethernet from a different interface on the Cisco to your computer.  Then you'll need to configure the Cisco to route and use the following features:

- IP routing

- NAT

- DHCP on the 2Wire side

I have an example Cisco configuration earlier in this thread.  Look at the interface that's labeled as the internet interface and see how it's configured for DHCP.  Once you get the Cisco configured properly, it will route with NAT and your wired computer will be able to access the Internet.

This will also allow the 2Wire to continue routing and using wireless that will be unaffected by your configuration changes on the Cisco.

35 of 587 (15,358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2011 3:52:00 AM
(0)
Contributor

So, I am up and running "router behind router" with my old network accessing the internet through DMZ on the RG.  Is there anyway to manage the RG from the "DMZ network" that will avoid having to plug a computer directly into the RG?  Looking for a technical solution to facilitate convenience.

I have the RG --->DMZ---> Linksys WRT350N ---> wired and wirelss network 

36 of 587 (15,270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2011 9:12:02 AM
(0)
Expert

Yes, you can manage the RG even from behind your router using the RG's IP address.

For example, if your network behind your router is 192.168.2.x, and the RG's DHCP network is 192.168.1.x, then you can go to the RG from one of your computers using

http://192.168.1.254

37 of 587 (15,258 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2011 11:18:04 AM
(0)
Contributor
I SomeJoe. I too have been following this post and I'm running a router behind the RG following your instructions from message 2 of 37. My router is a D-link DIR-615 and usually everyday it losses connection to the internet and I log in to check it's status and it seems it cannot renew the DHCP. At that point I have to unplug both the RG and the D-link router to get my internet to work again. Could you please help?

38 of 587 (15,125 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2011 2:05:32 PM
(0)
Expert
There are some routers that have issues with the DHCP renewal process from the 2Wire router. To correct this, open a firewall port on your D-Link to accept all inbound traffic from any IP address on UDP port 68.

39 of 587 (15,113 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2011 11:30:17 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hello SomeJoe7777:

I'm trying to get my Win7Pro PC to see my test Hyper-V server from the admin tools but this doesn't/won't work due to the 3801HGV firewall and the fact that they're simpleton programming has firewalling applied against any device external or internal. Since putting the HyperV server on wide open DMZ isn't a secure option (because it opens it wide to external sources) and passing RPC ports through to the HyperV doesn't seem to enable the connectivity then I need to move certain network systems behind a secondary router.

This will impact $$$ if I cannot reverse route connect back to the seconday router from the RG segment...Without over complicating the question... Is there any way to configure the router behind router where X-Box 360's (4 of them) and my UVerse DVR on the RG (all servicing TV access) would be able to access music/video/picture file shares hosted on a store located behind the secondary router!? If not then I'll have to rethink an expensive iSCSI host...:robotmad:

40 of 587 (15,031 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2011 2:27:15 PM
(0)
Expert
First of all, there is no internal (LAN side) firewall on the 2Wire units. If you ahve two devices plugged into the 2Wire and they can't see each other, the problem is not the 2Wire. The LAN side of the 2Wire is a simple switch.

If you need TV devices to see computers for media streaming, then you need them all on the same subnet & same LAN segment. Remove the 3rd party router and configure everything on the 2Wire's LAN segment. Separate IPTV devices and computer devices onto different Ethernet ports of the 2Wire to confine IPTV multicast traffic to only the IPTV devices.

41 of 587 (13,815 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2011 3:24:23 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for responding.

It seems from my experience today that when having my HyperV server and management workstation connected to the RG segment that the RG's firewalling is interupting RPC port connections between the two so I have deployed my DIR-655 as second router  and am working on identifying if they will speak now while all other software firewalls are disabled.

I've looked at many of your various forum entries regarding various subjects. One subject in particular being the ability to have the DVR/STB's located behind the second router due to Multicast/ IGMP Snooping support. It would seem many have tried this and none have succeeded but let's say I had a switch that supported VLan'ing, trunking, supported IGMP Snooping and the DIR-655 supports Multicast... Theoretically might it be possible to make the STB's/DVR work of off the secondary router!?

42 of 587 (13,699 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2011 4:10:33 PM
(0)
Expert
The only way that you could get STBs to work behind your own router is if the router supported PIM & IGMP (not IGMP snooping, but the full IGMP protocol). Even then it's likely it wouldn't work since your router probably wouldn't authenticate within AT&T's multicast network. I don't even know if the 2Wire RG would even allow it.

43 of 587 (13,692 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 2:22:18 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hi All,

I'm new to AT&T.  Been using TW cable for the longest time.  This thread is great.  I want to thank SomeJoe7777 for the excellent instructions he posted to help us all with getting our gateways into a psuedo-bridging mode. :smileyhappy:

However, I do have one issue that I've come across that I cannot seem to overcome.  Once I set the dmzplus pass through, and get the public IP address on my linksys router, I can no longer ping or reach the 2wire modem.  I have the modem connected to the wan port on my linksys, then another copper connection to my work station.  I can ping the lan IP of the linksys, and I can ping the public wan ip of the linksys that it is getting from the modem.  I can even ping the gateway IP of the public AT&T network.  But I cannot ping or reach the 192.168.1.254 address of the gateway anymore.... Unless I hook up another ethernet cable from it to a LAN port on my linksys - which kind of defeats the purpose of doing this.

This is a big deal, because I can no longer resolve DNS names without being able to reach the modem.  I guess I could use google's free dns servers, but they have issues of their own with places like youtube.

Has anyone seen this after following the instructions in this thread? If there is already a post regarding this issue, my apologies. I've been hunting through this thread but have not seen it yet.

Thanks!

44 of 587 (13,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 2:27:46 PM
(0)
Expert

zablalbaz wrote:

However, I do have one issue that I've come across that I cannot seem to overcome.  Once I set the dmzplus pass through, and get the public IP address on my linksys router, I can no longer ping or reach the 2wire modem.  I have the modem connected to the wan port on my linksys, then another copper connection to my work station.  I can ping the lan IP of the linksys, and I can ping the public wan ip of the linksys that it is getting from the modem.  I can even ping the gateway IP of the public AT&T network.  But I cannot ping or reach the 192.168.1.254 address of the gateway anymore.... Unless I hook up another ethernet cable from it to a LAN port on my linksys - which kind of defeats the purpose of doing this.

This is a big deal, because I can no longer resolve DNS names without being able to reach the modem.  I guess I could use google's free dns servers, but they have issues of their own with places like youtube.

Has anyone seen this after following the instructions in this thread? If there is already a post regarding this issue, my apologies. I've been hunting through this thread but have not seen it yet.

1. You must have your router's LAN subnet and the 2Wire's LAN subnet in different ranges in order to reach the 2Wire.  See the following post (post 7 of this thread):

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...

2. Even if you didn't do this, you don't need the 2Wire for DNS.  Your own router will handle DNS, acting as a DNS resolver.  It will use AT&T's upstream DNS servers as the upstream resolvers, the 2Wire is not involved when in DMZPlus mode.

45 of 587 (13,646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 3:06:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

-------------------------------------------------------

2. Even if you didn't do this, you don't need the 2Wire for DNS.  Your own router will handle DNS, acting as a DNS resolver.  It will use AT&T's upstream DNS servers as the upstream resolvers, the 2Wire is not involved when in DMZPlus mode.

----------------------------------------------------------

That's exactly what I thought should happen as well. But when I check the status on my linksys router I can see that it has not picked up the DNS servers for AT&T. It instead thinks that it should be using the 2wire IP for dns resolution:

******My config************

WAN IP
99.39.212.X

LAN IP

Connection Type
Automatic Configuration - DHCP

Connection Uptime
0:02:33

Gateway

DNS 1

DNS2

DNS1 is my own local caching server and I used to have it set to use 192.168.1.254 as my forwarder.  That setup worked great, and I'd really like to just continue using it if possible. I manually added this IP to the local DNS settings on the router.

DNS2: This is the IP address that the linksys got from the 2wire when I set up the dmz forward.  And the problem with this is that I cannot ping or access the IP address for the 2wire anymore. No ping = no dns resolution. :smileysad:

From reading that link you just posted though I should be able to clear this up if I change the IP range for my own LAN? Once I do that my understanding is that I should be able to ping the 2wire again correct?  And I am guessing that once I can ping it, the DNS resolution will take care of itself.

Thanks!

46 of 587 (13,640 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 3:16:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

Alternately, I guess I could always take the lazy way out for now and go straight to the upstream AT&T dns servers:

Just stuck those in my named.conf and they seem to work. Only problem is those could change and I wouldn't know about it until I started having trouble.  Best if I use this as a bandaid for now and go ahead and reconfigure my LAN IP range I suppose.

BTW: Does AT&T keep IP addresses for things like DNS servers posted somewhere that us customers can get to?  I found these DNS IPs in a forum thread, but it would be nice if I could just bookmark a FAQ url.

Thanks for the help!

47 of 587 (13,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 5:36:12 PM
(0)
Expert
Yes, you need to change your LAN subnet to 192.168.2.x (as an example).

If you have your own local DNS server, then you'll have to manually enter DNS addresses into the Linksys. To my knowledge, you can't tell the Linksys to use one DNS server address from manual configuration and the other from DHCP. Either they both have to be manually specified or both can come from DHCP.

I would leave the DNS configuration just as you have it -- Linksys configured for 192.168.2.5 and 192.168.1.254, and upstream resolvers in your local caching DNS server as 68.94.156.1 and 68.94.157.1. Those DNS IP addresses have been used by AT&T for U-Verse since 2007 and have not changed.

You could also bypass AT&T's DNS servers altogether and use OpenDNS or GoogleDNS in named.conf.

OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220
GoogleDNS: 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4

48 of 587 (13,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2011 7:47:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hey SomeJoe7777,

Thanks for all the advice.  I logged back in to my 2wire and changed the IP address to 192.168.2.254 and now everything works like a charm.  I am directly using the AT&T DNS servers and everything works great with the external name resoltuion as well.

I admit that I tried the google DNS servers when I first started messing around with all this.  But I noticed pretty quickly some lag when I went to places like youtube and watched the streams.  The videos were buffering like mad.  When I switched over to the AT&T dns servers the problem went away.

Once again...thanks for the clear cut instructions and the extra assistance!

49 of 587 (13,622 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2011 6:44:15 AM
(0)
Voyager

Ok so I have everything MOSTLY right here.  I followed the instructions, and I can't seem to get to my router to change any configurations now.

Here's what I have:

The AT&T provided router

NetGear wireless router connected per the instructions in this thread

Wired desktop plugged ino my netgear router

Wireless laptop on the wifi network on my router.

I can see the shared files on both PCs, print over wifi, all that.  What I CAN'T seem to do is log into my router's page to change any settings on it!  If I go to the 192.168.1.254 address I can see that the RG lists my router with an IP address of 192.168.1.66, which from what I have read on here it seems isn't an external IP address, so I assume that's part of the problem? If I try that IP, or 192.168.1.1 (which used to work), it goes nowhere.

I'm pretty novice at all this, so be gentle haha. 

50 of 587 (13,546 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2011 8:39:13 AM
(0)
Expert
NealB ... how do you have the NetGear router connected to the RG -- through one of the LAN ports (like post #13 in this thread) or through the WAN port (like post #2 in this thread)?

51 of 587 (13,250 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2011 7:15:46 PM
(0)
Voyager
It's from one of the LAN ports to the BROADBAND (WAN) port on the back of my netgear router.

52 of 587 (13,242 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2011 8:16:55 PM
(0)
Expert
You need to configure the Linksys such that it's LAN IP address is a different subnet than the RG's LAN.

If the RG is using 192.168.1.x on it's LAN, you need to change the Linksys to use something else.

Use the 192.168.2.x subnet. Configure the Linksys LAN IP address to 192.168.2.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

53 of 587 (13,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2011 12:35:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

SomeJoe7777:  thank you for all your help.... I want to set up a second router for a Window Home Server 2011 machine and remote access. I need UPnP (without it whs2011 is tough!). Would I follow post #2? Will this give me an address on the 192.168.1.xxx subnet for the server? I think without it the network might not find the server. Would I set the dhcp off on the second router and just assign an ip to the server like 192.168.1.78? You seem to know a great deal about this - will ATT ever get UPnP on their routers? if yes I would not even try to do second router. Thanks again...

54 of 587 (13,223 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2011 12:53:18 PM
(0)
Expert
Yes, you need to follow post #2, and you need to change the LAN IP subnet on your side of your router to something other than 192.168.1.x, as I detailed in the above post.

UPnP is probably not going to make an appearance on the 2Wire routers any time soon.

55 of 587 (13,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2011 3:58:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

thank you so much for your answer. At what step (1-14) do I change the ip address on second router to 192.168.2.1? Do I do it before step one and not allow it to get an address from DHCP? Thanks again.

56 of 587 (13,215 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2011 4:14:05 PM
(0)
Expert
Yes, you can do that at the beginning, before you begin the steps in post #2.

57 of 587 (13,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2011 5:45:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you for all your help!!!!  I am making very small baby steps. I set the router network address at 192.168.2.1 but let it get dhcp and dhcp set it to 192.1.64. Now I can not reach the router from the main work group 192.168.1.xxx. I try and turn off dhcp and set the internet address to 192.168.2.1 and the subnet to 255.255.255.0 and default gateway to 192.168.1.254 and cisco won't let me save it as it has a different subnet for address and gateway. Thanks again.

58 of 587 (13,207 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2011 7:41:54 PM
(0)
Expert
Cisco? This is the first you've mentioned any Cisco. A Cisco what? Switch? Router? How is this connected in the network?

Why are you turning off DHCP on something (I don't know what)?

There's way to little information here for me to help you.

59 of 587 (13,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 6:14:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have a cisco (linksys) e1000 as the second router. I have turned off the dhcp on the e1000 so that it does not give out an address to the WHS2011 server box as I want to set a static IP for that box. The idea is to get a UPnP router for the WHS box to make it far far easier to use to get to it from the outside. I have got it to work but now the router gets a "outside" address that is 99.xxx.xxx.xxx. At that point the WHS box can not be seen on the "real" network 192.168.1.xxx. I need the "real" network to see the WHS box on the new network. Maybe not posible... thanks for your help. Or, I will throw in 10.00 to get ATT to get a router made in this century (UPnP) :smileyhappy: Dave

60 of 587 (13,168 Views)