themartinclan's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, January 6th, 2013 4:26 AM

Two Xboxes and NAT Problems - Please Help!

Hello, does anyone know how to help with this?

I have the 3801HGV AT&T Router, and I'm trying to connect two XBOXes.  Each XBOX is a Cat-5 Lan Connection that goes directly into the back of the Router.  When I connect them to Xbox Live, one of them has no issues, and the other one will set the NAT to Moderate.  This prevents me and my son from forming a party to chat while we play games.  Sometimes, if I restart the connection test several times on both xboxes, they will both have a NAT Open - but it isn't consistent.

I have tried putting both Xboxes behind a Netgear N600 Router, but this had the exact same results.  Initially I tried connecting through the N600's WAN but that wouldn't work at all.  But then I connected the router directly to a LAN port on the N600, and connected the two xboxes to the N600's other LAN ports.  Basically I think I set up the N600 as a switch.  I did this by disabling the N600's DHCP, enabling UPNP, and choosing "automatically assign IP."   Note that I did initially try to set the N600 to a static IP address (i used 192.168.1.253), but this method did not work either, as when I logged onto the AT&T router, I could not find it.

So basically - my biggest issue is that I can't get the AT&T router (192.168.1.254) to recognize my Netgear N600 router.  It sees it as a switch, but I can't "see it" in the AT&T router's user interface.  If I could, then I could put the N600 on the DMZ and it would be fine.  But...I can't no matter which way.

PS an AT&T rep came tonight and tried to resolve the issue by putting in a Netgear Gs108 switch, but the same results occur.

Any thoughts?  I'd like to smack Microsoft for only allowing one port for the xbox.

Does this make sense? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

Option #1:
Go into the RG's GUi, Settings -> System Info -> enable Router-Behind-Router Detection. Change your router's settings back to a L3(routing) device not L2(switching).

Reboot your RG. Set the router to DMZ mode and assign it a static IP. Reboot the devices and possibly the RG.

Option #2: Open up the Xbox live ports on xbox1 and assign DMZ mode to xbox2.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

No problem.

You don't need to disable DHCP since your router will be using DHCP to assign IP addresses to your Xboxs. The networks need to be different meaning the link from Router -> Modem should be on 192.168.1.x network and the Router -> Xbox should be on a different network (like 192.168.2.x).

You don't need to setup a specific IP for the router in your modem.

Here's a step by step on option 2: http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2707755#M182

Once you put your router into DMZ mode, it is in charge of NAT and port forwarding.
After completing these steps, try to see the IP addresses of the xboxs (here). If they are assigned an IP address of 192.168.1.x, then either the RG isnt detecting your router as a piece of routing equipment or your router uses 192.168.1.x network which needs to be changed.

For option 1 did you open up all these ports for one of your xboxs while leaving the other in DMZ?

Retrieved from: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/connecting/nat-type-strict

• Port 88 (UDP)
  • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 80 (TCP)

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks bauwls!

I tried option two first. I put my son's xbox on the xbox live ports and mine on the DMZPlus, but the same problem occurs! One of us gets NAT: Open and one of us NAT: Moderate.

Its late but i did find The router behind router detection under settings - events. What a weird place for it!!!!

Fo i set my second router to disable DHCP? Do I need to assign it a specific IP?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you i shall try option 1 tonight!!! This is very helpful. Will the At&t router still be able to assign IPs to its LAN and WIFI connected devices or will i need to route everything through the secondary router?

Regarding option 2, yes i assigned one xbox to the ports 88 and 3074 using udp and tcp, and set the other router to my dmz. I figured that they were both trying to go through port 88 when connecting to xbox live which still which might have caused the NAT issue. But im not certain. I did not assign anything to port 53 and 80 though!!!

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

Good question. You can choose which devices are on which piece of routing equipment. Here's an example:

Network 1

RG: 192.168.1.254
PC: 192.168.1.2
Laptop: 192.168.1.3
Router WAN port: 192.168.1.4

Network 2
Router Gateway IP: 192.168.2.1
Xbox1: 192.168.2.2
Xbox2: 192.168.2.3
Tablet: 192.168.2.4

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Ahh ok each can manage ips as long as they are on separate networks.

I didnt hav time last night to make the changes but will as son as i can!

Again thank you so much you've increase my networking knowledge substantially

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you again! Router detected Nat issues solved! Other solution didnt work but its all goos

Guru

• 

428 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for following up with your success! Glad you got it working.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have the same problem.  Option #2 didnt work so I need to look at option #1.  In option #1 did he use the N600 or was all this done on the 3801 HGV?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.