randomgamer1017's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, September 9th, 2014 2:29 AM

How to use a different router than at&t's router/modem?

So I decided to get a new router: the Netgear R6100. Currently, I want to change the router/modem I have from At&t: 2wire 3800HGV-B. My problem is that I don't know how to change the 2wire to my netgear without issues occuring. In short, how can i use a different router than what At&t gave me? If you can help me, that would be great! (I got the new router to have more speed and more wireless range. Also, I need to have uPnP support for a game.) 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

How can i tell if i have IPTV VDSLFTTP installs, or bonded pair installs? I don't know what those mean to be honest. I am a complete newcomer to all of this.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for helping me! 🙂

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

So if you have the 3801HGV 2Wire, how do you put it in DMZ mode? Is that in firewall settings where you would actually put the 3rd party wireless router as the DMZ computer?

Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

10 years ago

@aaron-m wrote:

So if you have the 3801HGV 2Wire, how do you put it in DMZ mode? Is that in firewall settings where you would actually put the 3rd party wireless router as the DMZ computer?

Thanks.

Yes.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

You want to setup your Wireless on the network so your ATT router can see it.  Under firewall options, you want to select your new Wireless Router as the DMZ host (which I think shows you by IP)

You then need to reboot your ATT router to make those changes take place.

I would also recommend you disalbe Wireless on your ATT Device as it doesn't do this automatically, or didn't when i set it up myself awhile ago.

I might also recommend you use a different IP range on your new router, like 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x.  I think this is required for DMZ anyway.

My ATT router had a lot of help files built in, so if you have questions I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for right there.

My guess is you got this working, but if anyone else reads this maybe it will help.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.