Posted Jul 22, 2013
5:06:49 AM
View profile
Cannot connect smart tv to internet

Have had my samsung smart tv since December 2012 and all has worked just fine.  We just left for vacation for 10 days came home and now my tv will not connect to the internet.  All of our other devices connect to the internet just fine, so definitely a problem with the tv internet only.  We received an update form uverse while we were gone and wondering if that has something to do with it.  anyone else have this problem?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 24, 2013 10:01:46 AM
(0)
Teacher

Apparently the push from U-Verse block your Samsung TV. That's what happen to me. Samsung sent out a tech and this a known problem. The tech manually changed the DNS IP to 8.8.8.8 and iot corrected it. My Smart Apps works again.

Accepted Solution

Cannot connect smart tv to internet

22 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(22)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 6:37:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by aviewer on Jul 22, 2013 at 7:45:33 AM

banestrick - Since your other stuff works it must be the TV. As test, turn off the security in the RG & try it.

I just got one of these smart TVs & it did not have very good instructions on EXACTLY how to connect. It just says follow the wizard, which is not clear. Add the hiding of the password as you type it & you do not have a chance. I don't know about you, but I do not have any nefarious persons watching as I type it in.

If your STB is connected to the RG via COAX, you can connect the network jacks (TV -STB) with a cat5 cable.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Cannot connect smart tv to internet

[ Edited ]
2 of 23 (29,887 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 6:56:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Most likely because you were not using the TV it did not keep the IP and you probably just need to go into settings and re-enter the wireless password if this is a wired ethernet connection turn the TV on and the plug the cat5 cable in.

If you unplug a modern TV which some do there is a possibility it will not store the IP for extended periods after all most use a single core with low ram and probably a light form of what ever OS they choose.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 23 (29,863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 11:03:37 AM
(0)
Tutor

I have the same problem for about 10 days or so.  Samsung Smart TV is getting connected to the router, but internet connection fails, with "Contact ISP" message.  So far, I verified that both fiirewall and MAC filtering are disabled, then tried restarting router, returning TV to factory condition, loading firmware upgrades via USB. connecting TV via cable to router.  It didn't help.  I am at my wits end . 

4 of 23 (29,820 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 11:12:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Mit66 - Are you talking wired or wireless? Could this be a Samsung problem??

I would try pulling the plug on the TV. Rebooting the RG. replug the TV & try to establish the connection.

5 of 23 (29,811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 4:07:06 PM
(0)
Tutor
I've tried that, and have tried with a wired connection to the EG and wireless (preferred method). Still no Internet connection.

6 of 23 (29,789 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2013 4:40:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
jnshimko - Did you call Samsung?? A third Samsung is reporting trouble. Beginning to sound a lot like Samsung.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/My-Smart-TV-no-longer-connects-to-the-Internet/m-p/3529...

7 of 23 (29,785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 9:06:51 AM
(0)
Tutor

I tried both wireless and wired connections, and the error is the same: "Contact ISP"  I also tried to power donw network by phycially unplagging TV and router/modem from the outlet. No results.  Last night, I turned hotspot on my iPhone and was able to connect TV to internet and stream some Netflix via T-Mobile 4G network.  So, it seems to me TV is fine.  Could it be some sort of incompatability or ISP addresses?  I will try to reset my U-verse router tonight (before I was unpluggin it).

8 of 23 (29,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 8:57:56 PM
(0)
Voyager

I'm also having this problem on both my samsung smart TV (UN60ES8000) and samsung smart blu-ray player (BD-E5900-ZA).  All my other devices connect fine to the internet .  I've tried both wired and wireless connections to the Uverse residential gateway for these samsung products.  Like the few others whom have posted this issue, it connects fine to the router (IP addresses, etc. are present), but won't connect to the internet.  I've tried power cycling the TV, blu-ray and RG several times without success; I've also tried resetting the RG via the web portal without any lucke.  Something is blocking the connection from the samsung devices to the Uverse RG - whether this problem is due to samsung or Uverse, it can't be determined - the network setup wizard indicates to contact the ISP to resolve this problem.

I can't pinpoint when this started occurring since we don't use the smart functions that often, but it couldn't have been for more than a week or two.

Any ideas would be helpful.

9 of 23 (29,679 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 3:23:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
thorn223 = If you Google the problem, you will find it is quite common. It seems more related to Samsung than U-verse. Unfortunately, I did not see any way out. Please post if you do.

10 of 23 (29,657 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 8:15:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

I was able to connect to Internet via iPhone'  HotSpot/T-Mobile, accessed SmartHub - Netflix, and streamed a bit of the movie, just to test.  ATT Technician came a couple days back, run some tests and told me i have great broadband connection.  So, it seems to me that issue is with Motorolla router itself and the server.

11 of 23 (29,625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jul 24, 2013 10:01:46 AM
(0)
Teacher

Apparently the push from U-Verse block your Samsung TV. That's what happen to me. Samsung sent out a tech and this a known problem. The tech manually changed the DNS IP to 8.8.8.8 and iot corrected it. My Smart Apps works again.

12 of 23 (29,735 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 10:19:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
afung49 - That sounds like a logical solution to me. Thanks for posting it. I wish I thought of it. @aviewer

13 of 23 (29,601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2013 5:00:32 PM
(0)
Voyager

@afung49 - that worked perfectly.  Thanks a lot!!!

14 of 23 (29,553 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2013 9:27:13 AM
(0)
Tutor

afung49 - I tried this last night, and it's worked.  thanks a lot. 

I thing there was another push from ATT later last night because my wireless suddenly crashed. Had to reset.

ATT - if you read this -  shame on you for creating this issue in first place and then not being proactive in fixing it.  Technician came and left and did nothing.  You could at least post a fix on your website

Samsung - shame on you for not being proactive in fixing this.  You knew how to fix it yet when I sent you an e-mail you reply (in two days)  was completely irrelevant. and noone contacted me as was promised.  You could at least post a fix on your website

15 of 23 (29,446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 5:42:37 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same issue on my samsung 7000 series.  Is this something I can do on my own or do I need a tech?  What are the steps if this can be done on my own?  Thanks!

16 of 23 (28,912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 6:37:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
tgrinstead - Message 12 above says change/edit the DNS server setting in the TV. In a computer this is done in the Network preferences section by overtyping and saving. Of course it is a good idea to write down the current setting just in case you want to change back.

If you post a specific model, I will see if the manual is available & I can give you anything more specific about changing the DNS. THe value 8.8.8.8. is for Google & what I use in my computer.

17 of 23 (28,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2013 7:08:44 PM
(0)
Contributor

Aviewer

Thanks-figured it out and now I can connect to the internet (at least the connection shows as established)!  But now all of my apps are missing when I go to the smart hub and when I click on the web browser or other samsung items on the first page I just get a connecting circle and it never connects through.

Maybe I am still missing a step?

18 of 23 (28,891 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2014 2:00:05 PM
(0)
Contributor

i have had this same issue with my samsung smart tv ever since i switched my internet from cable to at&t every other device in my home would connect except my tv in living room.after countless hours on the phone with at&t and samsung blaming each other and me having to pay an additional $15.00 a month now for a service on my devices from a geek squad i do not want my problem still isnt fixed.i have just read this forum and i am going home tonight to try this fix with google 8.8.8.0 and see if it resolves my issue.if so i would love for anyone that reads this and knows anyone at at&t that i can actually speak with i would be very greatful for a phone number to call.

19 of 23 (18,247 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2014 2:03:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by aviewer on Jan 7, 2014 at 2:15:05 PM

mhenson2010 - I believe there is another step - You have to ID USA as the country in the TV, I will see if I can find that thread.

Found it - check out post 6 in this thread - http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/Samsung-Smart-TV-and-ATT-U-verse-seem-to-have-become/m-...

[ Edited ]
20 of 23 (18,245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 4:21:22 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have no idea what that means. Do I need to buy a samsung usb lan adapter?

21 of 23 (12,926 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 5:05:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
chapmanrev - What would you like to do??

22 of 23 (12,913 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2014 9:24:25 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same problem just spent an hour with an att tech.  Did not help me transfered me to someone who wanted $50 to try to fix it.  Your solution can I do it myself?  If so how?

23 of 23 (8,764 Views)