Posted May 11, 2011
1:04:19 PM
View profile
Brother MFC 9840cdw printer won’t acquire valid IP address from RG

I’m trying to get the Brother MFC-9840cdw to communicate with my new Win 7 computer on my wireless network using the standard U-verse 2Wire router. 

I used the setup instructions that came with the 9840 to make the wireless connection with the network (SSID: Dave’s Network), and the LCD panel on the front says “connected.”  I have the LAN set up as an “open system” using WEP and the network Key printed on the RG.

However, when I check the “network configuration” printout on the printer, it shows an invalid IP address, in the 169.xxx.xxx series. 

My new PC running Win 7 is wirelessly connected to this same network (with no problems) and shows a proper IP address (192.xxx.xxx).  When I installed the Brother software from the Win 7 CD that shipped with the 9840, the printer driver was unable to find the 9840 on the network (says printer is “offline”).  I assume this is because of the 169.xxx.xxx IP address, which is considered “invalid.” 

If I do a factory reset of the Brother, the network configuration shows an IP address of 000.000.000.  But when I complete the wireless reconnection steps to the network, it says “connected”, but again returns an invalid IP address (169.xxx.xxx) on the network config printout.

How can I get this printer to report a valid IP address?

Is it possible that the DHCP setup on the 2Wire RG is unusual and the printer cannot respond to it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
May 11, 2011 4:48:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Most equipment will work better WPA2 that has been mfg'd in the last couple of years and 8 characters is more simple than the

required 16 for WEP to be secured. My HP C6380 works great with those settings.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Brother MFC 9840cdw printer won’t acquire valid IP address from RG

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2011 2:17:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Do you have the option to set security to WPA/PSK  also select DHCP for auto ip/DNS.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Brother MFC 9840cdw printer won’t acquire valid IP address from RG

2 of 6 (4,341 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2011 3:04:07 PM
(0)
Contributor

Yes, I can change it.

Is that likely to be what I need to get proper wireless communication between printer and the RG?

I was trying to keep security settings simple.

3 of 6 (4,332 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
May 11, 2011 4:48:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Most equipment will work better WPA2 that has been mfg'd in the last couple of years and 8 characters is more simple than the

required 16 for WEP to be secured. My HP C6380 works great with those settings.

4 of 6 (4,321 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2011 1:55:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

Changing the security settings on the printer from "open system" with WEP to WPA2 fixed the problem, and I've got a valid IP for the printer now.

Evidently, I suffered a momentary collapse of integrity and forgot that I had changed the LAN security from WEP to WPA2, when I switched from my Linksys router to the 2Wire router about a year ago (when we installed U-verse at home).  Thanks for setting me straight.

5 of 6 (4,293 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 16, 2011 4:58:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You are welcome .

6 of 6 (4,285 Views)