Posted Sep 22, 2012
6:51:55 PM
Apple's Latest Issue With Samsung?

Hey everyone.  I just read an article from today about Apple seeking to ban sales in the United States of Samsung phones that are similar in appearance and design to the iPhone.  If Apple does win, which they did with the last one, and the ban is enforced, will that mean that we as consumers will have less choice in what smart phones we have to choose from in the future? 

Apple's Latest Issue With Samsung?

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2012 5:56:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Wow!! You have to be kidding?? That's just crazy!! 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Apple's Latest Issue With Samsung?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2012 6:17:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Junior Czar
smooth4lyfe
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S3

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2012 6:18:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

wilcre wrote:

Junior Czar
smooth4lyfe
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S3

Thanks wilcre, you're such a good son. :smileywink:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2012 6:44:37 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Thanks MOM I do try.

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2012 6:48:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

:smileyvery-happy: I know. I wouldn't trade ya for the world. :smileywink:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 23, 2012 8:24:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

crkcallie wrote:

Hey everyone.  I just read an article from today about Apple seeking to ban sales in the United States of Samsung phones that are similar in appearance and design to the iPhone.  If Apple does win, which they did with the last one, and the ban is enforced, will that mean that we as consumers will have less choice in what smart phones we have to choose from in the future? 

If you look its just certain models not the whole line and there are other brands so you will still have a choice unless its one of the models mentioned in the ban.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 24, 2012 4:27:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The problem is that Apple keeps adding models to the proposed ban list, like the Galaxy S III, the Galaxy Note, etc.  Those weren't part of the original lawsuit because they came out after the lawsuit was filed.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 28, 2012 7:04:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

oz_1 wrote:
 If you look its just certain models not the whole line and there are other brands so you will still have a choice unless its one of the models mentioned in the ban.

The fact that Apple has the audacity to do this .. period .. is staggering. The models listed under the proposed ban essentially all but make up Samsung's current line, including their newest flagship (which by the way had nearly 10million global pre-orders before Apple went on the attack....coincidence?). I for one will not have my choices dictated to me by a company that kills innovation by stealing ideas, successfully patenting them, and then suing others for using those same ideas.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 28, 2012 8:08:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

If Apple was guilty of infringement the the court decission would have went the other way and people quickly forget what our choices were before the iPhone now everyone has a smartphone on the shelf.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 28, 2012 5:34:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Regardless of what you believe Apple did to the cell phone/PDA market, you cannot deny that nearly every item that Apple brought up in this lawsuit against Samsung wasn't even theirs to begin with. Swipe to Unlock? Nope. Pinch to Zoom? Nope. Global searches? Nope. Word completion? Nope. For a second, let's set aside our bias and look not only at the facts, but also at Apple's history.

I'm well aware of what my options were before iOS hit the market. I LOVED my WinMo phones, and I LOVED my Palms and Simons that came before. That said, let's imagine for a second that Palm, Simon, HTC, Nokia, Samsung, Kyocera, Motorola, Sony, and every other company out there that were making handsets before Apple decided to get into the game decided to patent everything they could think of. Yeah, everything. Full touchscreen w/o a physical QWERTY? Check. Icon based UI? Check. Voice activation/assistance? Check. Candybar design? Check. Every point brought up in my previous paragraph? Check. What would Apple have been left with then?

As it's been said before a million times over, all this is only undeniable proof of how badly we need patent reform. Apple feels threatened by Google, and instead of focusing on their product they take the fight to the courtroom? Reeeeedonkulous.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 28, 2012 5:42:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

jii wrote:

Regardless of what you believe Apple did to the cell phone/PDA market, you cannot deny that nearly every item that Apple brought up in this lawsuit against Samsung wasn't even theirs to begin with. Swipe to Unlock? Nope. Pinch to Zoom? Nope. Global searches? Nope. Word completion? Nope. For a second, let's set aside our bias and look not only at the facts, but also at Apple's history.

I'm well aware of what my options were before iOS hit the market. I LOVED my WinMo phones, and I LOVED my Palms and Simons that came before. That said, let's imagine for a second that Palm, Simon, HTC, Nokia, Samsung, Kyocera, Motorola, Sony, and every other company out there that were making handsets before Apple decided to get into the game decided to patent everything they could think of. Yeah, everything. Full touchscreen w/o a physical QWERTY? Check. Icon based UI? Check. Voice activation/assistance? Check. Candybar design? Check. Every point brought up in my previous paragraph? Check. What would Apple have been left with then?

There is a chart I believe Engadget showed last year and on every company in the cell phone business was sueing another no exceptions none are wearing a halo its business.

No need to make religion or politics out of it and Samsung was at the top of the list for having ticked off almost every major consummer electronics giant out there which ironically they all get some part are another from there are no angels in this business.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 28, 2012 6:06:44 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

This is just a chart from 2010 I guess you could say Nokia wanted to stay on top.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/04/an-explosion-of-mobile-patent-lawsuits/

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 28, 2012 9:51:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It's like how TiVo sues everybody for DVR features they say are theirs, period.  This is a whole new era and the courts are a little behind.

I really see these fights ending up as anti-trust!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 7, 2014 4:26:07 PM
(0)
Mentor

Apple would be left with a piece of paper with a "very small" screen glued it it:smileylol:

Spoiler

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 18, 2014 7:07:15 AM
(0)
Observer
For a second time, Judge Lucy Koh rules that remarks about protecting patents from foreign companies weren't enough to sway jury. But she admonishes Apple's legal team.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 8, 2014 6:03:39 AM
(0)
Professor
Apple files for patents on everything, even the stuff they stole from others. I would love to see the companies Apple stole those ideas from sue Apple to invalidate the patents, but many of those companies are gone, or in hard enough financial times that they can't take on the battle.

Actually, it didn't get much press, but I think Samsung won a court case against Apple for a few patent infringements. It is still tied up in appeals.