Reply
Posted May 3, 2012
9:56:47 AM
View profile
Would this HDTV work good as a Computer monitor?

HHGregg has a 24" Hisense LCD HDTV for $147.  I see that it has one HDMI, one component, one composite and one VGA input.  Would this be acceptable as a computer monitor?  The thing that scares me is that in the pdf, it says "This device may not be computable with all PC/Video Graphics cards."  Did I mention that statement scares me?  Lol.  I plan on connecting my desktop PC (HP a1355c) via VGA and my work laptop (Dell E6510), via HDMI with a DisplayPort converter.  I have never used the DisplayPort on the laptop but want to have the option of not having to switch cables from VGA for the desktop and VGA for the laptop.  I would just leave the HDMI/DisplayPort cable dangling when my laptop isn't there.

 

* Would both computers work with this monitor, in your opinion?

 

* Has anyone used DisplayPort?  I see an HDMI/DisplayPort adapter for less than $10.  It's not a converter, so nothing is lost.

 

* Would a standalone monitor work FAR better for the computers?  $147 for a 24" monitor by itself, would be a good price

 

NOTE: This prolly would not be connected to U-Verse but I would add an antenna.

 

Thanks!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
May 8, 2012 8:43:08 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

I tried it.  It's going back. :smileysad:

 

The highest resolution that it offered with VGA is 1280 x 1084 and in that mode the desktop is scrolled way off to the left.  The start button would have been 7 or so inches off screen, to the left.  Got it to run at 800 x600 but it looked too funky.  Plus the wife didn't like it.  :smileyhappy:

 

I don't really have a need for a 24" LCD HDTV but this Hisense set is NICE!  I never connected it to U-Verse but did try OTA with rabbit ears.  Not bad.  The instore HD display was very good, rivaling sets at twice the price.

 

Thanks for the input - I'll stick with the 19" HP flat screen square monitor and when I get mom's desktop PC going upstairs, will most likely buy a monitor and not an HDTV.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Would this HDTV work good as a Computer monitor?

1,460 views
16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Post reply
Replies
(16)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 5:22:25 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Expert

My sister inlaw uses her hdtv as a computer screen also.  It looks and works great.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Would this HDTV work good as a Computer monitor?

2 of 17 (1,449 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2012 9:12:12 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on May 3, 2012 at 9:19:22 PM

While I have not used such an arrangement for productive work on my laptop...I have connected the HDMI port on my Dell Inspiron to one of the HDMI inputs on our 55" Sony in the living room and we have successfully streamed a couple of programs from Hulu.  Not HD, of course....but we were amazed at just how sharp the image was.  The Windows desktop was very sharp and all icons & text could be clearly seen and read.  I would think you might expect the same results, Dave.

 

BUT....this week Staples Office Supply has both the Samsung and Acer 24" HD, LED monitors with 1080 resolution for $179......only a few dollars more than the one you are looking at.  Personally I'd think one of them would be preferable.

I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth. .......Stephen Hawking
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Would this HDTV work good as a Computer monitor?

[ Edited ]
3 of 17 (1,444 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2012 6:23:52 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

HHGregg has a 24" Hisense LCD HDTV for $147.  I see that it has one HDMI, one component, one composite and one VGA input.  Would this be acceptable as a computer monitor?  The thing that scares me is that in the pdf, it says "This device may not be computable with all PC/Video Graphics cards."  Did I mention that statement scares me?  Lol.  I plan on connecting my desktop PC (HP a1355c) via VGA and my work laptop (Dell E6510), via HDMI with a DisplayPort converter.  I have never used the DisplayPort on the laptop but want to have the option of not having to switch cables from VGA for the desktop and VGA for the laptop.  I would just leave the HDMI/DisplayPort cable dangling when my laptop isn't there.

 

* Would both computers work with this monitor, in your opinion?

 

* Has anyone used DisplayPort?  I see an HDMI/DisplayPort adapter for less than $10.  It's not a converter, so nothing is lost.

 

* Would a standalone monitor work FAR better for the computers?  $147 for a 24" monitor by itself, would be a good price

 

NOTE: This prolly would not be connected to U-Verse but I would add an antenna.

 

Thanks!


 

I think you would be better off with a computer flat screen.

 

The VGA inputs on most HDTVs are usually limited to 1366X768 reolution, so would be disadvantage as most modern computer video cards run at higher resolutions.  A  newer computer flat screen will have inputs more suitable to computers, like multiple DVI or HDMI as well as displayport. Component connections are being phased out on consumer equipment, due to DRM, and composite is next to worthless on an HDTV.

 

You would still have to come up with an OTA tuner or connect Uverse if there is a spare HDMI port on the flat screen (do the Uverse STBs have an OTA antenna port?).

 

For my office setup, I have an older Dell 24" computer flat screen that has a VGA, a DVI, and an HDMI. I have a file server connected to the VGA, my main computer on the DVI, and a Dish tuner on the HDMI. I have all audio piped into a set of Logitech Z-5500 speakers.

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

                               neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Would this HDTV work good as a Computer monitor?

4 of 17 (1,433 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2012 7:21:14 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on May 4, 2012 at 7:31:18 AM

Computer-Joe wrote:

dhascall wrote:

HHGregg has a 24" Hisense LCD HDTV for $147.  I see that it has one HDMI, one component, one composite and one VGA input.  Would this be acceptable as a computer monitor?  The thing that scares me is that in the pdf, it says "This device may not be computable with all PC/Video Graphics cards."  Did I mention that statement scares me?  Lol.  I plan on connecting my desktop PC (HP a1355c) via VGA and my work laptop (Dell E6510), via HDMI with a DisplayPort converter.  I have never used the DisplayPort on the laptop but want to have the option of not having to switch cables from VGA for the desktop and VGA for the laptop.  I would just leave the HDMI/DisplayPort cable dangling when my laptop isn't there.

 

* Would both computers work with this monitor, in your opinion?

 

* Has anyone used DisplayPort?  I see an HDMI/DisplayPort adapter for less than $10.  It's not a converter, so nothing is lost.

 

* Would a standalone monitor work FAR better for the computers?  $147 for a 24" monitor by itself, would be a good price

 

NOTE: This prolly would not be connected to U-Verse but I would add an antenna.

 

Thanks!


 

I think you would be better off with a computer flat screen.

 

The VGA inputs on most HDTVs are usually limited to 1366X768 reolution, so would be disadvantage as most modern computer video cards run at higher resolutions.  A  newer computer flat screen will have inputs more suitable to computers, like multiple DVI or HDMI as well as displayport. Component connections are being phased out on consumer equipment, due to DRM, and composite is next to worthless on an HDTV.

 

You would still have to come up with an OTA tuner or connect Uverse if there is a spare HDMI port on the flat screen (do the Uverse STBs have an OTA antenna port?).

 

For my office setup, I have an older Dell 24" computer flat screen that has a VGA, a DVI, and an HDMI. I have a file server connected to the VGA, my main computer on the DVI, and a Dish tuner on the HDMI. I have all audio piped into a set of Logitech Z-5500 speakers.

 

 


That is what i was thinking but the desktop PC is not modern.   The 19" "square" HP flat screen that I have seems sufficient.  I think that I will plop down the $147 at hhGregg, or check ouyt Fry's $129 deal, in today's flyer, for the 24" HDTV and if it doesn't work as expected, I can return it and ensure that there is no restocking fee before I buy.

 

Phil - Does your Dell have an HDMI output or is it that funky DisplayPort?

 

Thanks all.. 

 


 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Would this HDTV work good as a Computer monitor?

[ Edited ]
5 of 17 (1,427 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2012 8:58:25 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on May 4, 2012 at 9:18:26 AM

Dave, it's labeled "HDMI" right above the port.  I'd have to go find the literature that came with it.....if I can.....and double check.  I've had it for quite a few years....since about 2006.  It's the Inspiron 1525 model.  Only mods I've made are maxing out the RAM to 4 gb and replacing the original 250 gb HDD with a 500 gb drive.  Now I've just ordered a new battery because the old one is failing...badly.  I get maximum of 30 min. out of it from a full charge.  Dell wanted nearly $150 for a replacement.....Batteries Plus wanted about $85 but I ordered one off of eBay for $20.  Slightly higher capacity than the original.  We'll see if I dood good or got screwed.

 

EDIT:  I checked setup manual.  It IS an HDMI port.

 

HDMI connector – HDMI (High-
Definition Multimedia Interface) connector
carries an uncompressed all digital signal
to produce hi-definition video and audio.

 

So I guess it DOES deliver HD video.  No wonder it was so sharp on our big 55" HD set.

I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth. .......Stephen Hawking
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Would this HDTV work good as a Computer monitor?

[ Edited ]
6 of 17 (1,421 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2012 10:14:27 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on May 4, 2012 at 10:15:24 AM

Thanks Phil.  I'm guessing that the consumer Inspirons have a dedicated HDMI while business class ones have the DispalyPort.  We'll see.  The DisplayPort adapters are just a few bucks and simply plug onto the end of an HDMI cable.

 

I'll be interested in how the Hisense 24" set does with OTA.  This will be on the ground floor, which could be an issue.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Would this HDTV work good as a Computer monitor?

[ Edited ]
7 of 17 (1,412 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2012 12:54:57 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

That is what i was thinking but the desktop PC is not modern.   The 19" "square" HP flat screen that I have seems sufficient.  I think that I will plop down the $147 at hhGregg, or check ouyt Fry's $129 deal, in today's flyer, for the 24" HDTV and if it doesn't work as expected, I can return it and ensure that there is no restocking fee before I buy.

 

Phil - Does your Dell have an HDMI output or is it that funky DisplayPort?

 

Thanks all.. 

 


 



Does your (non-modern) computer has a DVI port?

 

 

 

 

Phil's might be a Mini-HDMI

 

Mini                             Regular

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

                               neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Would this HDTV work good as a Computer monitor?

8 of 17 (1,404 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2012 1:35:10 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on May 4, 2012 at 1:37:01 PM

Computer-Joe wrote:

dhascall wrote:

That is what i was thinking but the desktop PC is not modern.   The 19" "square" HP flat screen that I have seems sufficient.  I think that I will plop down the $147 at hhGregg, or check ouyt Fry's $129 deal, in today's flyer, for the 24" HDTV and if it doesn't work as expected, I can return it and ensure that there is no restocking fee before I buy.

 

Phil - Does your Dell have an HDMI output or is it that funky DisplayPort?

 

Thanks all.. 

 


 



Does your (non-modern) computer has a DVI port?

 

 



Nope.  VGA only.  Of course I could buy a VGA switch......

 

BTW, the Fry's $129 set is a Coby and it's only 720p.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Would this HDTV work good as a Computer monitor?

[ Edited ]
9 of 17 (1,400 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2012 4:42:56 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

I'm looking at it.  I believe it is full size HDMI port, C.J.

I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth. .......Stephen Hawking
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Would this HDTV work good as a Computer monitor?

10 of 17 (1,392 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
May 8, 2012 8:43:08 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

I tried it.  It's going back. :smileysad:

 

The highest resolution that it offered with VGA is 1280 x 1084 and in that mode the desktop is scrolled way off to the left.  The start button would have been 7 or so inches off screen, to the left.  Got it to run at 800 x600 but it looked too funky.  Plus the wife didn't like it.  :smileyhappy:

 

I don't really have a need for a 24" LCD HDTV but this Hisense set is NICE!  I never connected it to U-Verse but did try OTA with rabbit ears.  Not bad.  The instore HD display was very good, rivaling sets at twice the price.

 

Thanks for the input - I'll stick with the 19" HP flat screen square monitor and when I get mom's desktop PC going upstairs, will most likely buy a monitor and not an HDTV.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Would this HDTV work good as a Computer monitor?

11 of 17 (1,376 Views)
Solution
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2012 9:51:18 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

Sorry it didn't work out, Dave.  I kind of suspect you'll be happier in the long run with a regular hi-res monitor.  There sure are some good prices out there on big monitors these days.

I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth. .......Stephen Hawking
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Would this HDTV work good as a Computer monitor?

12 of 17 (1,361 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2012 8:08:01 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on May 9, 2012 at 8:44:25 AM

hpmsrm wrote:

Sorry it didn't work out, Dave.  I kind of suspect you'll be happier in the long run with a regular hi-res monitor.  There sure are some good prices out there on big monitors these days.


Maybe but maybe not.  I think that the old desktop's video card would not support the HD / High resolution that new monitors offer.  I still wish that I had a use for that set it looked good.

 

One oddity - my square 19" HP LCD that came with the aforementioned desktop PC back in 2006 seems like it weighs twice as much as the 24" HDTV.

 

On a side note, maybe I should go flip the hh Gregg salesman in the nose with my thumb and index finger.  While he was not too high pressure on selling me the extended warranty(I declined) - he did, possibly on purpose, misrepresent the length of the Factory warranty.  He stated that it was only 90 days.  It was, of course, one year. :smileysad:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Would this HDTV work good as a Computer monitor?

[ Edited ]
13 of 17 (1,352 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2012 10:01:15 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

I imagine the older LCD monitor used a fluorescent light source with its heavier power supply and the new 24 incher is LED back lit.  Could that be the reason for the weight difference?

I believe alien life is quite common in the universe, although intelligent life is less so. Some say it has yet to appear on planet Earth. .......Stephen Hawking
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Would this HDTV work good as a Computer monitor?

14 of 17 (1,337 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 7:31:13 AM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

hpmsrm wrote:

I imagine the older LCD monitor used a fluorescent light source with its heavier power supply and the new 24 incher is LED back lit.  Could that be the reason for the weight difference?


No, they're both LCD but according to the stats for both products, the weights are 15 pounds for each.  The HP feels heavier.  I bet that the HP monitor used non-gorilla glass and the 24" uses Gorilla or some other lightter weight glass.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Would this HDTV work good as a Computer monitor?

15 of 17 (1,332 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 10, 2012 8:16:19 PM
0
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

hpmsrm wrote:

I imagine the older LCD monitor used a fluorescent light source with its heavier power supply and the new 24 incher is LED back lit.  Could that be the reason for the weight difference?


No, they're both LCD but according to the stats for both products, the weights are 15 pounds for each.  The HP feels heavier.  I bet that the HP monitor used non-gorilla glass and the 24" uses Gorilla or some other lightter weight glass.



Phil's probably right about the back light, just because of the age of the HP, it's more likely fluorescent.

 

Dave, it's the distance between your hands. :smileywink:

 

 

 




__________________________________________________________
How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

                               neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Would this HDTV work good as a Computer monitor?

16 of 17 (1,324 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2012 12:02:26 AM
0
(0)
Expert

I was thinking of doing something similar with my 7 YO desktop, getting son a newer HDTV and taking his for a monitor with older rez.

 

I replaced the flat panel monitor a few years ago, from a square to a widescreen with digital, only to find the fancy (at the time) vid card does not support digital!

 

Guess I need to see about upgrading the NVIDIA card to one that can handle digital, but I'm clueless on where to start.  Is it possible for such an old machine, and would I see a difference?  No HDMI, of course.

 

I thought something was wrong with LogMeIn from the new laptop until I realized the desktop's monitor is just blurry. :smileysad:

 

I've used the laptop on the bedroom TV with a long HDMI and it works great, but newer machine; then I can't watch TV and surf! :smileysurprised:

Re: Would this HDTV work good as a Computer monitor?

17 of 17 (1,317 Views)
Share this post
Share this post