Posted Sep 27, 2013
4:08:34 PM
Weekly Off Topic Thread #305

WOW!  It's late on Friday and no one started this coming week's WOTT.  So here goes.

Bright sunny day and it's warming up again.  We had high reading in upper 80's.  Not too hot....but one could work up a sweat with not too much effort.  Rain is in the forecast for tomorrow.....serious enough threat to cause the cancellation of Kansas City's American Royal parade.  That's a shame.  It's a time honored tradition.

Things are pretty quiet around here.  So....I hope every one of you have a super week and y'all win the lottery.

Phil

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Weekly Off Topic Thread #305

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 27, 2013 6:33:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Hit about 85 here. Started the day with power washing the drive and then rolling on a few gallons of Rustoleum Epoxyshield. Took me about 6 hours. Definitely feeling the aches and pains. :smileyfrustrated:

Good excuse to break out the Scotch though. I think I've got about a half pint of The Glenlivet left on the shelf yet.:smileyhappy:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Weekly Off Topic Thread #305

2 of 11 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Sep 29, 2013 8:48:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Sep 29, 2013 at 8:49:31 PM

I don't care for Scotch C.J. but I might be persuaded to sit with you....chat a bit and sip a good glass of wine.  It was a super pleasant day here and my wife and I went for a longer than usual walk.  I have to set my oxygen tank up to the 4 liters per minute level and breath fast to keep my blood oxygen up to around 90% or higher.  But it's good exercise and very necessary unless I just want to sit and waste away.  No thanks to that.  So I'm trying to get out and walk for 25 to 30 minutes at least once a day.  Not as good nor as quickly as Alfie and I used to do twice a day.....but about all I can handle now.  Golly I miss that pooch....still.  I really can't think about him or see a photo of him without still tearing up a bit.  What wonderful times we had together.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

[ Edited ]
3 of 11 (656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 1, 2013 12:12:09 AM
(0)
Master

Hi guys! Know I haven't been posting much and have been working like heck the past few months on my son's place and his Jeep. He finally took the plunge after selling his house and moved to sunny S. California this past week.

He left last Weds at 6pm and arrived at my daughter's place N. of San Diego on Sunday morning. He didn't want to spend $600 for a uhaul one-way trailer rental so he bought a big landscape trailer which he figures he can sell out there. Then he ended up overloading it so gross trailer/load weight was 3,500 lbs and max load is 2,990 for the single axle. We had to lighten the load about 600-700 lbs and still quite a handfull behind a 96 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 straight-six engine w/160K miles.

In driving the 2,350 miles in 3-4 days the only problems he ran into was the heat/hills in NM and AZ. His transmission started overheating and blowing fluid out of the vent tube on the exhaust. Not pretty I guess with it smoking and luckily the leak quit once on level ground. He couldn't even run the AC in those hills it took so much power away from the engine and felt sorry for him along with his 120lb Mastiff Max in the back seat. But he made it and they're both fine!

Kind of funny but one night in the desert of NM it got down to 32 degrees which he sure wasn't expecting. Don't know how my 6'2" son could squeeze in the back seat with his huge dog but they kept each other warm overnight! LOL.

It was really nice when he arrived at my daughter's place they had a big "Finish" sign over the drive. They also had a sign under it which read, "Welcome Home Uncle Todd", from my 7-year old grandson. Actually it's his new home for now.

Pretty lonely around here with my son not stopping by all the time but I'm sure he'll probably be happier in S. Cal. Of course I wouldn't doubt my daugher and son expect us to follow them in moving there. Could be in the next couple years and we'll see... :smileywink:

Here's a couple photos of my son's Jeep/trailer loaded and I'm sure that huge/tall tailgate was good for gas mileage.

Todd-leaving for CA, trailer in front of garage, 640x480p.jpg

Todd-leaving for CA on drive, 016, 640 pixel width.jpg

4 of 11 (618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 1, 2013 4:59:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

WOW! Uni.  That baby was seriously overloaded.  As an ex-RVer....reading your description of his transmission overheating problems was truly horrifying for me.  I'll bet that fluid was good and burned by the time he got it cooled down.  Actually....I think he was extremely lucky to make it all the way without the transmission totally destructing.  In our trailering days we always installed additional transmission cooling between the radiator outlet and the return to the transmission.  I also nearly always installed a transmission temmperature gauge to keep me informed on what was happening.  Even tow vehicles equipped at the factory with a towing package were not really adequately protected against overheating.  After we moved to diesel pusher motorhomes it was  no longer a problem.  They're always built properly for the heavy load.  So I think he lives under a lucky star.  Anyway....I'm happy to hear that he made it safely to California.

Good to see you back on here, by the way.

5 of 11 (585 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 1, 2013 5:16:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Gotta love Government shutdowns. I'm a contractor for NASA and since I work on-site my work now is being impacted. Luckly our contract has already been paid so I still get ot work and get paid, just not on site or with the normal rescources that I usually have.

If this keeps up then who knows how long I can keep working without NASA direction. 

Fun times....

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

6 of 11 (582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2013 7:00:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

americangame wrote:

Gotta love Government shutdowns. I'm a contractor for NASA and since I work on-site my work now is being impacted. Luckly our contract has already been paid so I still get ot work and get paid, just not on site or with the normal rescources that I usually have.

If this keeps up then who knows how long I can keep working without NASA direction. 

Fun times....

Yup.  I work for DFAS (Civil Servant).  We are fully funded for 10 or so days and then we may have to go to furlough mode (again).  I have heard that this should be resolved in a week or so.

Here is my simplistic take on this impasse: It's like a 5 year girl who has a birthday and the parents direct the 10 year old brother (who is grounded and has lost use of his bike) to go out to the freezer and get the cake for the 5 year old. Instead, the 10 year old refuses and blocks the door to the freezer. He won't relent until he gets his bike back. His bike (Obamacare) has NOTHING to do with the 5 year old's birthday (The budget).

7 of 11 (564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 2, 2013 8:37:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

dhascall wrote:

americangame wrote:

Fun times....

Yup.  I work for DFAS (Civil Servant).  We are fully funded for 10 or so days and then we may have to go to furlough mode (again).  I have heard that this should be resolved in a week or so.

Here is my simplistic take on this impasse: It's like a 5 year girl who has a birthday and the parents direct the 10 year old brother (who is grounded and has lost use of his bike) to go out to the freezer and get the cake for the 5 year old. Instead, the 10 year old refuses and blocks the door to the freezer. He won't relent until he gets his bike back. His bike (Obamacare) has NOTHING to do with the 5 year old's birthday (The budget).

Agreed. I'm trying to keep politics off the message board since it's one of 2 topics that starts the most arguments(the other is religion).

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

8 of 11 (544 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 3, 2013 10:18:12 AM
(0)
Master

hpmsrm wrote:

WOW! Uni.  That baby was seriously overloaded.  As an ex-RVer....reading your description of his transmission overheating problems was truly horrifying for me.  I'll bet that fluid was good and burned by the time he got it cooled down.  Actually....I think he was extremely lucky to make it all the way without the transmission totally destructing.  In our trailering days we always installed additional transmission cooling between the radiator outlet and the return to the transmission.  I also nearly always installed a transmission temmperature gauge to keep me informed on what was happening.  Even tow vehicles equipped at the factory with a towing package were not really adequately protected against overheating.  After we moved to diesel pusher motorhomes it was  no longer a problem.  They're always built properly for the heavy load.  So I think he lives under a lucky star.  Anyway....I'm happy to hear that he made it safely to California.

Good to see you back on here, by the way.

Actually Phil my son's Jeep and trailer were within specs. The Jeep is rated for towing/hauling 5,000 lbs but good luck towing that much with a 4.0L 6-cylinder. And we were under the 3K load limit on the axle/trailer. In addition to all the maintenance I did on his Jeep before the trip I also installed a new trans oil cooler you mentioned to help cool it. Flushed his trans with new trans fluid and installed Valvoline Dex/Mercon Max-Life ATF which is supposed to handle heat better. Most are quick to just use ATF+4 in these types of Jeeps but they're unware it will cause the trans to slip and doesn't meet the older Dextron/Mercon specs. I spoke with a real good Valvoline phone rep about this.

Good move on your part in installing a temp gauge on your RTV on the transmission itself. Would have hated to see what my son's trans temp was and believe the downfall was the heat of the desert states, steep mountain grades, undersized engine, along with so much trailer wind resistance. Thanks and we sure are glad he made it to S. Cal too!

So what's my son do for his first day out there after driving/sitting for 3-4 days? He runs 30 miles! LOL, and nothing like the stamina of a marathon runner!

I've been replacing the leaking back porch roof over our laundry room the past few days and what a fun job! Not! Especially on a rotted roof that has to be at least 80-years old. I've been working some with lights at night and have seen every insect there is drawn to those bright lights. Almost put my hand down on a big 3" long tomato hornworm last night and what's he doing on the roof when he's supposed to 300' away on my tomatoes? LOL.

9 of 11 (460 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 3, 2013 12:54:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

If I've got to go 30 miles, I'm getting in my car and driving.  :smileytongue:

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

10 of 11 (451 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 3, 2013 1:44:51 PM
(0)
Master

No kidding OUfan and I've told people before I get tired from driving the distance of a full marathon! :smileyvery-happy:

The kid's pretty darn fast and is tickled he qualified, and was accepted, for running in the 2014 Boston Marathon next April 21st with a time of 2hrs 52 min for the full marathon 26.2 miles. Most of the hotels in the area are already full, he had to book a room for $200/night, and can't wait to see what he's going to pay for flying across country from SD to Boston!

http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon.aspx

11 of 11 (442 Views)