Posted Sep 3, 2013
12:02:43 AM
View profile
Weekly Off Topic Thread #301
Edited by hpmsrm on Sep 3, 2013 at 12:08:56 AM

Gee.  I thought it was Dave's turn to start off WOTT this week.:smileywink:

Labor Day Weekend is over and things can return to normal.  We finally got a break in our hot weather.  Today was wonderful.  Mild temps in low 80's.....a nice cool breeze.....I sat out on the patio at the back of our house.....in the shade and watched my wife trim the bushes back.  I haven't been able to do much yard work what with having to tote an oxygen bottle around and I get so out of breath and light headed so quickly.  She's my hero and has taken over all that sort of thing.  Well.....fall is only about 3 weeks away.  I have not figured out how I'm going to handle snow removal when the time comes.  And....dealing with the really cold days and nights will be an even bigger challenge than I've ever experienced.  Oh well.....one does what one must do.

If it stays cooler I hope we can get out of here and take an auto trip somewhere.  Flying is pretty much out of the question.  In the first place I hate flying.  Well, not exactly hate flying....what I hate are the airlines and the winged cattle cars they pack us into.  Plus.....now I find out that in order to be able to take oxygen on board with me.....you know...that stuff that will improve my chances of arriving alive.....I would have to contact the air line 3 to 4 weeks in advance and then wait to see if they will allow it.  Then.....because I would not be able to take most of my own oxygen supplying equipment with me, I would have to contact the company that provides it to me and have those folks arrange for equipment to be waiting for me at my destination.   Aaaakkkk.gif   So....it's by car or not at all.  Even then....finding room for all this extra "stuff" plus baggage will probably require putting the back of the back-seat down to approximately double the cargo carrying space over just the trunk by itself.   But I absolutely refuse the just spend the rest of my life in my recliner in front of the boob-tube.

Anyone ever hear of an app called "NameBench".  It does a DNS search to find faster servers than the one you are using and then makes a recomendation and estimates how much quicker service a guy can get percentage wise.   I've tried it.  Not sure it helps all THAT much.  Of course it is difficult to visually see small improvements and probably not really worth the effort.  But, if you are plagued with slow service it might help.  It does take the app. about 15 minutes to run before it pops up with a recomendation.

Everyone have a great week.        Phil

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a    hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut." .....Will Rogers
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Weekly Off Topic Thread #301

[ Edited ]
6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 3, 2013 8:09:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I hope you can get out somewhere in the fall and enjoy the season..it's MY favorite time of year. It's a little cooler here tonight and hope it stays that way..I hate the hot weather and humidity. 

I DID buy a new camera a few weeks ago and have been enjoying playing with it. It's nothing too special, a Nikon Cool Pix L820, but at least it takes nice pictures compared to what I was using. I like the color option in it...you can pick a certain color for it to bring out in the pics when you take them. I always liked those kind that you see on cards sometimes...everything in B/W with a little bit of one kind of color here or there. 

I also tried taking a pic of the moon when it looked pretty full one night. It came out pretty good..although will never be as good as yours. :smileyhappy:

Here a couple of them...let me know how I did. :smileyhappy:  

Have a great week, Phil! :smileyhappy:

DSCN0089.JPG

DSCN0090.JPG

RSCN0107.JPG

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Weekly Off Topic Thread #301

2 of 7 (358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 1:52:53 PM
(0)
Employee

I look forward to 8 hours of sleep... :smileyhappy:

Spoiler

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 7 (336 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 4:39:23 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Sep 5, 2013 at 4:52:10 PM

Dcookie, that moon photo is great.  What's more that color verifies what we've always been taught.....that it's made of cheese.

That ability to adjust color like that....and emphasize a subject by colorizing it against the b & w background is amazing.  Don't believe I've seen that before as an in-camera capability.  Not saying it wasn't there.....just that I had not seen it before.   I do know there are photo management programs which can do that.   Sure lends impact to the photo doesn't it?

Dave.....that will teach me to use official I.D.'s instead of names.  Dhascall was whom I was directing my comment because he has recently been starting quite a few of these WOTT threads.  But you are certainly urged to jump in and get it going when you happen to be around.  Once in a while the rest of us forget to anti-up on Fridays.

In my old age I've become pretty much a night owl.  I think the problem is created by my medications that I take in the evening.  The Anacin contains substantial amounts of caffeine along with the aspirin and I take a sizeable dose to dampen down the arthritis pain in my shoulders when I'm trying to sleep during the night.  Thus....1:00 to 2:00 AM, or even later, is not unusual for me to still be up and around.   But, being retired, I don't have to make it to a job by 8 AM in the morning like many of the rest of you do.

Phil

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a    hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut." .....Will Rogers

[ Edited ]
4 of 7 (321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 4:44:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

hpmsrm wrote:

Dcookie, that moon photo is great.  What's more that color verifies what we've always been taught.....that it's made of cheese.

That ability to adjust color like that....and emphasize a subject by colorizing it against the b & w background is amazing.  Don't believe I've seen that before as an in-camera capability.  Not saying it wasn't there.....just that I had not seen it before.   I do know there are photo management programs which can do that.   Sure lends impact to the photo doesn't it?

Phil

Actually, that's what color the the moon was...I didn't use the color selector on that at all. I DID, however, use it on the flower pics. :smileyvery-happy:

I just wanted to show you since I believe you're a photographer. I'm having fun with it. :smileyhappy:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

5 of 7 (315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 7:29:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Sep 5, 2013 at 7:30:28 PM

The moon must have been fairly low in the sky and picked up the color from the haze or, heaven forbit, smog.  It is a nice sharp image though.  If you look at the edges of the moon....particularly in the lower, right corner you'll notice that you can see the mountains on the moon.....right where the moon horizon meets the black sky.

We are hoping that we can do some traveling this late summer or fall.  Both my wife and I are climbing the walls with cabin fever.  The sudden worsening of my illness really screwed up our plans.  But things have kind of settled into my new routine.....with the hassle of having to carry oxygen with me 100% of the time.....and we're thinking about giving some travel a try.  I think she wants to go down to the Texas Gulf Coast and stroll, barefooted on the sandy beach again.....and then we want to wander eastward to Florida and visit our middle son and his wife.  Me?  I just want to exercise my camera shutter release finger again and give my new super-zoom lens that I bought in late May a real try-out.

Another subject:  If you are interested in finding out more about who is listening and reading everything we write.....look at.....or send on the Internet these days......  Please go to the USA Today newspaper web site.  "NSA Cracks Internet Encryption" and the story was released this evening...9/5/2013.  All semblance of privacy is completely gone.  Well....read it and then form your own opinions.  It is truly depressing.  I'm gonna start all my E-mail messages and forum posts out, henceforth, with a greeting to the spooks.:smileytongue:

[ Edited ]
6 of 7 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2013 7:40:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Sep 5, 2013 at 7:59:17 PM

Here, I made my font a little larger..sorry about that. Thanks, I just happened to think the moon looked a little full so I thought I'd get the camera. I think it came out pretty clear too for just holding the thing. :smileytongue: It is pretty neat to SEE the mountains and craters along the edge. 

I hope you get to do some traveling and see your son..it sounds nice!! You just have to take some extra baggage with you but, thank God for that extra baggage! :smileyhappy: Hope to see some pics when you do go. 

Thanks for the tip on the article..I'll take a look...and take care!  :smileywink:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

[ Edited ]
7 of 7 (289 Views)