Posted Aug 22, 2013
Weekly Off Topic Thread #300

Ta - Taaaaa!!!!!   Starting WOTT #300.   Here we are....August 23, 2013.    School has started so we're all coping with the school buses again.  My luck is always getting stuck behind one of those darn things and having to stop every block while kids stroll leisurely on or off the bus.:smileyfrustrated:

Now I and my lungs are enjoying breathing polluted air blowing into our area from the forest fires out in the NW.  Yep....believe it or not our daytime sky is pretty much white instead of blue and sunset is a huge, extremely red solar disk as the rays shine through the haze.  No rain in sight and we really need it again to water the plants and grass plus clean the air.

Today I had to revisit the dermatologist's office for minor outpatient surgery to remove a basal cell carcinoma from my left cheek.  Cancerous, yes.  But not the aggressive type.  Thank goodness not a melanoma which is very dangerous.  So now I have this huge white-gauze bandage on my face.  I'll probably scare little kids and puppy dogs.  Next week I go back to remove stitches plus take care of a smaller spot on my back.  I usually don't take anything stronger than Excedrin or Anacin for pain but tonight I'm using something a lot "stronger" to try and get some sleep.

Oh yeah....an to top it all off....I was surfing the Internet this evening and stumbled upon a web site that told me NASA had directed one of the Mars Rovers to poke around inside a cave found adjacent to a volcano and it discovered huge rock panels engraved with the 10 commandments in multiple languages.  Inside info. is that this will be announced later this year.  Ya believe that one don't you?Jerry The Mouse Laughing.gif

Oh how I love the Internet......

Here's a web site I had not discovered before.  Fascinating.  Try it.  Experiment with everything on it because everything you click on reveals information:

http://www.flightradar24.com/39.02,-94.28/7

Let's see.  What else.  Oh yeah.  One of our granddaughters was sworn in as a 2nd Lt. in the U.S. Air Force about 3 weeks ago.  Now she has begun her graduate work leading to a masters degree in nursing at Yale.  When she is done with school she will owe the air force 3 years of active duty and 5 years in the reserves.  At least I think that was it.  Guess that, as a nurse, she won't be flying any planes.  It is our guess that, knowing her personality, she may elect to stay in the service for a life time career.

Then we got the news a few days ago that one of our grandsons has joined the Cheyenne, Wyoming Police Force.  He is currently attending the Wyoming Law Enforcement Academy.  He was one of three that were sworn in.....out of over 100 candidates.  He takes a lot to the job.  He is a nationally certified EMT....has been teaching wilderness survival for the last few summers up there in Wyoming....has his college degree from the University of Wyoming....and is black belt ju-jitsu (sp?).  So I'll bet they were happy to land him in their police force.

We have 9 grandchildren....7 boys and 2 girls....and they are spread from Wyoming to Austin, TX to Connecticut and many places in between.  No wonder we never get to see them any more as they are all busy launching into their adult lives.  The oldest is 30 and the youngest is 15.  So far only one great grandchild.....a 9 yr. old young lady who lives in Texas.

And then....oh yes....have I mentioned our defunct electric meter?  We got two bills over two months that showed zero power consumption.  So I called.  Finally a guy showed up with a new meter.  No more mechanical meters with the little spinning disk inside.  All solid state now with digital readouts.  Then the power company came back with a dollar figure for what they felt we owed them....based on previous use.  WOW! $385 dollars for three months. We're on the budget payment plan so we always pay the same amount every month year-round.  Only when I flipped the bill over to read the backside did I see that the consumption was zero for those months.  Never mind that last year was one of the hottest on record while this year has been much, much cooler.  Plus....last year we were still using our old heating/AC system which was much less efficient than our new system which was installed in May of this year.   Yep....I'm calling them tomorrow and chewing some you-know-what.   In my opinion the meter reader should have noticed that little problem when he/she was standing there reading the numbers.  I may not win the argument but I'll have some fun and feel better after I'm done raising Cain.

WOW....it's almost 2:30 AM.  I'd better hit that old straw mattress and get some shut eye.  G'nite.

"I offered my opponents a deal: if they stop telling lies about me,
I will stop telling the truth about them".
~Adlai Stevenson, campaign speech, 1952..

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Weekly Off Topic Thread #300

[ Edited ]
10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 23, 2013
(0)

Well speaking of electric bills, our electric is provided by CPS Energy which is owned by the City of San Antonio.  There has been allot of bru-ha in the paper and on the news about customers who get these huge electric bills.  They call the local news stations and they do a segment on it.  Come to find out (and this is CPS's story and they are sticking to it) CPS says they had a shortage of meter readers so they were estimating usage at customer's houses.  When they finally got a meter reader by their estimates appear to have been way off.  One lady had a bill she received in excess of $1,200 dollars!!  CPS stood strong and told her she used it so she had to pay for it.  Unfortunately it was an elderly lady on a fixed income.  They were nice enough to allow her to make payments on the excess.  How nice of them.

This had been going on for several months in different parts of the city.  Haven't heard about it lately though so maybe they have fixed the problem.  So I would bet you won;t get a repreive from your broken meter.:smileymad: 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Weekly Off Topic Thread #300

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 23, 2013
(0)

If they can't prove that you didn't use any electricity then should you have to pay for it?

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about U-Verse on the Xbox.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 23, 2013
(0)

In Little Elm, we don't have a choice of providers like others, COSERV is the only electric provider.  If I was 2 miles to the east in Frisco I could choose which electric company I wanted to use.  COSERV is a COOP and their prices are much higher than almost every provider in the area.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 23, 2013
(0)

300 is a nice number!

Beebee - We had a simiilar situation with our water company.  The city "privatised" it by selling it for a lowball figure to an out of state company that had greased former mayor.  They would only read the meters every other month and the months they estimated were something like 30% too high.  We were basically giving them an interest free loan.  Now the local Gas Company (Public owned) has taken over the water company.  The estimating part is better but they are coming up with some interesting projects to get the rates increased.  One such "boondoggle" is a 3 mile underground tunnel / river that will store excess storm water, until it can get processed.  Just wondering if the firms chosen to do the work have greased politicians, too?  AND the CEO of the "public" utility made $3 Million, last year. :smileymad:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 23, 2013
(0)

Well the CEO of CPS made a $410,000 salary and a $410,000 bonus.  Not as bad as 3 million though.  I think it's all a sham. 

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 23, 2013
(0)

I love reading your stories, hpmsrm!! :smileyhappy: 

Have a good weekend! 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 26, 2013
(0)

Dcookie wrote:

Have a good weekend! 

Phil sure has some good stories.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 26, 2013
(0)

dhascall wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

Have a good weekend! 

Phil sure has some good stories.

Yes, he does. :smileyhappy: And I pop over here every now and then to see if there are any. :smileywink:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 27, 2013
(0)

We went with the daughter and family, on Sunday, to do some Geocaching.  They even let me find one.  My garnddaughter wanted to help but I used the clue (power up) and her iPhone app to find the cache.  It was in a fake outdoor power outlet. :smileywink:  On the way home, the van died a couple times and then the charging light came on.  Bad alternator.  That's $300 I'll never get back but the new hobby was fun.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Aug 28, 2013
(0)

americangame wrote:

If they can't prove that you didn't use any electricity then should you have to pay for it?

Ha.  Might be difficult to prove that we did not use power.  We have not been gone from home all spring and summer and we have a refrigerator/freezer.....a separte freezer and a drink cooler in the garage.  Plus.....while I was standing there watching the dead meter not moving at all....the big A/C outdoor unit was running.  But the little wheel just sat there...dead still.  So I guess we'll have to pay.  They use an average over about 4 or 5 months over the last two or three years and then chopped 10% off that.  So I guess I can't really complain.  I did not miss the chance to point out that it was THEIR defective meter.....and THEIR defective meter-reader who did not observe that the meter was dead.   But.....y'all that predicted I'd lose my appeal were right.  I did.   It appears that the formula for figuring out how much we owed is written right into the law.  I suspect the power companies crossed some palms in the state legislature.

"I offered my opponents a deal: if they stop telling lies about me,
I will stop telling the truth about them".
~Adlai Stevenson, campaign speech, 1952..