Posted Mar 29, 2013
2:28:46 AM
Weekly Off-Topic Thread #279

Hope everybody has a great weekend and a Happy Easter!

Now here's something to think about ....

Easter and April Fool's on the same day, raccoon photo, 3-27-2013.jpg

Just kidding! :smileyvery-happy:

I always remember Spd posting this one for Easter and miss the guy!

easter_chocolate_bunnies1.jpg

Finally, as mentioned before I have lots of problems with squirrels, groundhogs, chipmunks, mice, moles and rodents in general. Here's a video of "Rodenator", a pretty extreme way to get rid of them, and looks like a good way to hurt yourself. Fairly long video w/sound and click on bottom right corner to enlarge to full screen.

http://www.rodenator.com/pests-controls-videos-rodenators

Weekly Off-Topic Thread #279

47 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(47)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 6:00:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Uniblurb3 wrote:
Finally, as mentioned before I have lots of problems with squirrels, groundhogs, chipmunks, mice, moles and rodents in general. Here's a video of "Rodenator", a pretty extreme way to get rid of them, and looks like a good way to hurt yourself. Fairly long video w/sound and click on bottom right corner to enlarge to full screen.

Looks like fun.

Spoiler
As long as your not straddling a tunnel in some rocky soil.:smileysurprised:

We used to do the same thing with an ounce or two of carbide and a pint of water, although ignition was a little trickier.:smileywink:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Weekly Off-Topic Thread #279

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 8:52:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Whatever happened to Spd?  Haven't seen him in quite some time.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 9:51:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

I'm confused. Easter is on March 31st... Is this some kind of April fools joke I don't understand?

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 12:15:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Thought I'd butt my nose in like I usually do and say Happy Easter to Uni and the rest of you Uverse guys!! Enjoy your weekend. :smileyhappy:

Loved the pics, Uni! :smileyvery-happy: ...and don't tell me you're thinking about blasting the little rodents?? That was something!! :smileytongue:

Like you, I miss seeing some missing persons around here. :smileysad: I just hope they're all doing well. 

Have a good one, guys!! :smileyhappy:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 1:18:56 PM
(0)
Master

Computer-Joe wrote:

Uniblurb3 wrote:

Looks like fun.

Spoiler
As long as your not straddling a tunnel in some rocky soil.:smileysurprised:

We used to do the same thing with an ounce or two of carbide and a pint of water, although ignition was a little trickier.:smileywink:

Ahh, yes CJ and I fondly remember our conversations about blowing things up when younger! With my luck I'd be standing on a natural gas pocket when using the rodenator and that would be all she wrote! :smileywink:
OUfan, don't know what happened to Spd and kind of just withdrew from the land of the internet. Maybe he still is lurking around?
Americangame, real good point about Easter being on March 31 and April Fool's Day being on April 1st. Someone just sent me that raccoon pic/with funny captions and must have been an old one when both were on the same day. But Easter Monday is on my calendar for the "UK/Rep. Ireland" which would be the 1st. Guess all that means is the banks are closed. LOL.
DC, you have a great Easter too! :smileyhappy:

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 8:10:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yep....Easter Sunday is March 31st this year.   

Ahhhh....carbide and water.....memories, memories.  In the really old days....miners' lamps were powered by carbide & water.  A few drops of water on a chunk of carbide produces acetylene ( I think....or it might be methane...not sure).   Even fishermen who did their fishing at night used these lamps on their caps for light.   My pop used to bell me about his July 4th celebrating back in the early 1900's.   Too poor to buy fireworks....he and his friends would put a piece of carbide on the sidewalk, put a few drops of water on it.....then cover it with a can which had a small hole punctured in the side.   Take a piece of lighted punk on a very long stick and put it to that hole.  "BOOM"....the can would sail a hundred feet into the air.  Lots of fun even if more than a bit dangerous.  Me?  Well...I made my homebrew firecrackers out of powdered magnesium and potassium chlorate.  Lucky I did not get arrested.

I'm not really sure why SPD drifted away.  Might have had something to do with all the changes in the forum.....perhaps not.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 29, 2013 8:14:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I really like hearing all of those old stories hpmrsm. Both my grandfathers were miners. Love all of that antique stuff and found myself one of those old miner's lamps. :smileyhappy:

Have a nice Easter. 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2013 6:54:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

oufanindallas wrote:

Yup, just another U-Talk mystery dissapearance. Apparently not a peep (pardon the Easter pun) out of him since October. I miss Robo-Kitty.:smileysad:

I still haven't even found out what happened with Pip.:smileysad: I think she and Dcookie would have been like two peas in a pod.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2013 7:02:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Computer-Joe wrote:

oufanindallas wrote:

Yup, just another U-Talk mystery dissapearance. Apparently not a peep (pardon the Easter pun) out of him since October. I miss Robo-Kitty.:smileysad:

I still haven't even found out what happened with Pip.:smileysad: I think she and Dcookie would have been like two peas in a pod.

I never knew Pip. Did she talk alot like me???

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2013 10:23:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by mibrnsurg on Mar 30, 2013 at 10:28:36 PM

Happy Easter everyone!

Last Sunday 10pm, I efiled my Fed/State taxes online free thru an IRS Free File company, diffferent one this year as the one last year now wants $14.95 for the State efiling (and I'm a cheapskate).

Checked Sat, both refunds will be going direct deposit to my bank account 4/3/13, pretty cool, a 10 day turnaround. :smileyvery-happy:

Edit:  Thursday received a $30.83 check from the IRS.  Had amended 2011 1040 for $30 foreign tax paid on my Fidelity account  (from the later amended 1099, arrrghhh).  Thought I had never gotten the $30 refund, but true to their word they included 83¢ interest. :smileysurprised: :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 30, 2013 11:29:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Mar 30, 2013 at 11:32:04 PM

Congratulations on the refunds, Chris.  Maybe enough for a night out to dinner and a show?

And....Happy Easter to all my friends here.

RE Pip.  Well....she was a lady who was not afraid to speak her mind.  But lots of ill health...  We're not sure what her medical problems were but she did live with quite a bit of pain and spent considerable time in the hospital.  Showtime had contact with her via E-mail.  But he has drifted away also and I never had her E-mail address.

I did send SPD an E-mail and let him know that we all were talking about him behind his back.:smileyvery-happy:  Don't know if he'll jump in to renew friendships or not.

Well...my Jayhawks lost their game to Michigan.  Should have won.....through away a 14 point lead.  Team and coach made some unbelievably crazy decisions during closing minutes.  Oh well.......just a game.  Huh?

Then....out of nowhere comes Wichita State University and they are on their way to the final 4.  So maybe those guys will rescue the Kansas reputation. 

Alfie has been sick quite a bit recently.  I think I've mentioned that every night around 9 PM a little alarm clock goes off in his head that reminds him it is treat time.  I give him 1 1/2 chewy, chicken flavored Milk-Bones.  Then he's happy and after a trip outside he comes in and settles for the night.  But...I decided he might also like some of the harder, Milk-Bone biscuits to munch on....good for his teeth and breath odor.  THAT was a mistake.  We've been going through nearly two weeks of intestinal problems and finally....this morning....a show of blood.  So I got him to the Vet and now he's on antibiotics and a soft diet of fresh cooked rice mixed with some pieces of canned chicken.  I'm confideent we'll get it cleared up.  Always have before.  But this was a bad attack and I spent a couple of nights with little sleep, taking care of him.   Needless to say....no more Milk-Bone biscuits for him.  At least he did eat a fair supper this evening.  So that is a good omen.  And... oh yeah.....the vet is now richer than she was before we showed up...by $95.

We're supposed to get colder this Easter Sunday.  And next week is not looking too good for warmer temperatures.  We need temps in the upper 60's to low 70's before they can install our new furnace/heat pump/AC.  I'd like to get it done and over with ASAP.

Am I the only nitwit around here who watches the Ancient Aliens series on H2?  I know it's nuts....but I still  find the programs and stories fascinating.

"Public virtue cannot exist in a Nation without private Virtue, and public Virtue is the only Foundation of Republics." .......John Adams

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 31, 2013 3:56:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Thanks for telling me about PIP, hpmrsm...sounds like we could have been two peas in a pod. :smileyhappy:

I hope Alfie will feel better soon. He's such a cute dog! One of my coworkers goes through the same, quite a bit, with her Great Danes. 

I'd love to watch Ancient Aliens if I can ever remember that it's on. It's on The History Channel so I'll have to remind myself to look it up. I find those kinds of shows very interesting. :smileyhappy:

..and Happy Easter, everyone...enjoy your day! 

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 31, 2013 5:10:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

hpmsrm wrote:

Congratulations on the refunds, Chris.  Maybe enough for a night out to dinner and a show?

And....Happy Easter to all my friends here.

RE Pip.  Well....she was a lady who was not afraid to speak her mind.  But lots of ill health...  We're not sure what her medical problems were but she did live with quite a bit of pain and spent considerable time in the hospital.  Showtime had contact with her via E-mail.  But he has drifted away also and I never had her E-mail address.

Yup, if she had an opinion on a subject, she had no qualms about letting you, and regardless of her failing health, she was rarely anything but bright, cheery, and full of life. We traded symptoms through email and PMs a few times and it was not uncommon for her to be making posts from a bed because she was too ill to get up.

Showtime is another one, and Shoe, and Randyl, and Koolkid and......:smileysad:

I did send SPD an E-mail and let him know that we all were talking about him behind his back.:smileyvery-happy:  Don't know if he'll jump in to renew friendships or not.

I've sent about a half dozen so far with no response, to both addresses I have for him.:smileyfrustrated:

Well...my Jayhawks lost their game to Michigan.  Should have won.....through away a 14 point lead.  Team and coach made some unbelievably crazy decisions during closing minutes.  Oh well.......just a game.  Huh?

Then....out of nowhere comes Wichita State University and they are on their way to the final 4.  So maybe those guys will rescue the Kansas reputation.

Well, you still have Dorothy and Toto.:smileyvery-happy:

Alfie has been sick quite a bit recently.  I think I've mentioned that every night around 9 PM a little alarm clock goes off in his head that reminds him it is treat time.  I give him 1 1/2 chewy, chicken flavored Milk-Bones.  Then he's happy and after a trip outside he comes in and settles for the night.  But...I decided he might also like some of the harder, Milk-Bone biscuits to munch on....good for his teeth and breath odor.  THAT was a mistake.  We've been going through nearly two weeks of intestinal problems and finally....this morning....a show of blood.  So I got him to the Vet and now he's on antibiotics and a soft diet of fresh cooked rice mixed with some pieces of canned chicken.  I'm confideent we'll get it cleared up.  Always have before.  But this was a bad attack and I spent a couple of nights with little sleep, taking care of him.   Needless to say....no more Milk-Bone biscuits for him.  At least he did eat a fair supper this evening.  So that is a good omen.  And... oh yeah.....the vet is now richer than she was before we showed up...by $95.

Cosmo, Missy, Jack, and Jello say "Ruff, Ruff, Yip, Ruff". Which either means get well soon, or, send us all those milk bone biscuits you don't want.:smileyhappy:

We're supposed to get colder this Easter Sunday.  And next week is not looking too good for warmer temperatures.  We need temps in the upper 60's to low 70's before they can install our new furnace/heat pump/AC.  I'd like to get it done and over with ASAP.

Am I the only nitwit around here who watches the Ancient Aliens series on H2?  I know it's nuts....but I still  find the programs and stories fascinating.

Um, isn't that what they make DVRs for?:smileywink:

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Mar 31, 2013 5:46:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Computer-Joe on Mar 31, 2013 at 5:50:32 AM

mibrnsurg wrote:

Happy Easter everyone!

Last Sunday 10pm, I efiled my Fed/State taxes online free thru an IRS Free File company, diffferent one this year as the one last year now wants $14.95 for the State efiling (and I'm a cheapskate).

Checked Sat, both refunds will be going direct deposit to my bank account 4/3/13, pretty cool, a 10 day turnaround. :smileyvery-happy:

Edit:  Thursday received a $30.83 check from the IRS.  Had amended 2011 1040 for $30 foreign tax paid on my Fidelity account  (from the later amended 1099, arrrghhh).  Thought I had never gotten the $30 refund, but true to their word they included 83¢ interest. :smileysurprised: :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

We did ours about 3 weeks ago on a Friday through our CPA/Tax man and got our deposits the next Thursdsay. Got a little over 3 Gs. We do ours with a CPA because the wife and I both have our homebased businesses to deal with and my wife just retired last spring, but went back part time last fall. She's gonna use the refund as part of the downstroke for her new quilting machine (almost 32 Gs). She didn't get all the bells and whistles or it would have been about 4 grand more.

Here's a picture of what the machine will look like (minus the light rail over the machine).

Gammill

Oh, and happy Easter everyone, I get to swap out my leaking water heater today, oh joy.

neon_sign.jpg

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 1, 2013 9:26:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Happy April 1st everyone. Don't believe everything you reead today. 

With that said The AT&T Community forums will be charging $0.50 for every post you make on the site.  These charges will be applied directly to your bill.  If you don't post anything for the month, you will be charged a $5.00 convience fee to keep your account active. :smileyhappy:

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 1, 2013 10:13:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

americangame wrote:

Happy April 1st everyone. Don't believe everything you reead today. 

With that said The AT&T Community forums will be charging $0.50 for every post you make on the site.  These charges will be applied directly to your bill.  If you don't post anything for the month, you will be charged a $5.00 convience fee to keep your account active. :smileyhappy:

Careful now, don't wanna give em any new ideas, they're already charging extra to use the wireless that's built into your router.:smileymad:

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 1, 2013 12:15:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Apr 1, 2013 at 12:17:25 PM

Americangame - Those posting / no posting fees sound just like AT&T and if you want to leave the forums, there is $9.95, one time fee,  to do that. :smileywink:

Carbide was mentioned in a post, earlier.  When I would go with dad to go fishing or camping, he had two lights.  One was a standard Coleman white gas lantern and he had what he called a "Carbide light."  Man that carbide job was SO bright!  I actually thought that it made it hard to see because it was so bright and created gigantic shadows.  Those were the days.

I telework on Mondays and try to schedule "chores" on Mondays.  Today was story day (and "watching my money disappear into thin air day," too).  Last week, the windshield in our Windstar van got cracked by sliding ice from the roof. The repairman could not do a repair at my home, so I'll have to schedule a replacement (at ~ $300 :smileysad: ).  I asked him if it was safe to drive.  He assured me that it was and since Indiana is not quite as "Ticket Happy" as NY or California, I'd be okay.  He then proceeded to tell me of one of his tickets and he never received his court date in the mail, so he was served a warrant, at his home, in front of all of his neighbors, with six cops and guns drawn.  Oh me.  Nice enough guy, though.

Then it was time for our AC tune up.  Apparently the motor run capacitor was going bad and that needed to be replaced.  So there went $100.  He then told me that he needed a Liver Transplant ( :smileysad: ) due to an auto immune disorder.  He is on Chantix to quit smoking.  He informed about his nearsightedness and his new glasses.  He even told me what his prescription is.  He mentioned that he got saved over the weekend (cool) and that he  was now engaged (his third and last) since his wife no longer wanted to live in sin.  He also told me his girl;s ages.  I'm wondering, will he be giving me a quiz later?

I must have my "good listener" pants on, today.

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 1, 2013 11:17:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hpmsrm on Apr 1, 2013 at 11:20:24 PM

Computer-Joe wrote:

hpmsrm wrote:

I had a weird experience last night.  I took the pooch out for his final pre-bedtime draining and....as always I looked up at the amazing scene of the stars....Orion, Sirius and Jupiter were prominent and the sky was crystal clear.  Anyway.....in a more southeasterly position I saw a super bright star.  Wow it was bright.  I thought that was strange because I'm fairly familiar with this portion of the night sky and it was not supposed to be there.  All of a sudden it disappeared.....turned off like someone pulled the plug.  Then I thought it must have been landing lights on a plane that may have taken off from Kansas City International.  But try as I would I could not see any flashing strobe lights nor did I hear any sound of jet engines.  I must have stared at that area of the sky for 15 minutes and the light did not reappear.  Oh well....what's that old song...."They're coming to get me, barump, barump....etc. etc."?:smileylol:

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 2, 2013 3:10:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by Dcookie on Apr 2, 2013 at 3:19:45 AM

Hi hpmsrm and the rest of you guys! I was reading your post and I was reminded of a 4th of July in 2011. We were at a friends house watching the fireworks that the neighborhood people were shooting off, nothing very impressive, to say the least, when all of us took notice to 3, orange colored lights in the sky that didn't seem to move. They weren't anyones fireworks or wasn't a plane, I know that. We all stood and looked at them for a few minutes and they never moved!! I thought it was wierd, to say the least. 

So, this morning, after reading your post, I happened to see if I could find anything on the internet about it and sure enough, I did. I don't live in Harrisburg, as this poster does, but I do live in NE PA, not too far away from there. Apparently, someone else thought enough of the orange lights to report it to The National UFO Reporting Center. 

http://www.nuforc.org/webreports/082/S82196.html

I never knew this site even existed and it's pretty interesting to read thru a few of these that some PA residents reported.

http://www.nuforc.org/webreports/ndxlPA.html

http://www.nwlink.com/~ufocntr/  This is the homepage link, if you guys are interested. 

Have a good one!! :smileyhappy:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

[ Edited ]
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 2, 2013 3:25:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Dcookie wrote:

Hi hpmsrm and the rest of you guys! I was reading your post and I was reminded of a 4th of July in 2011. We were at a friends house watching the fireworks that the neighborhood people were shooting off, nothing very impressive, to say the least, when all of us took notice to 3, orange colored lights in the sky that didn't seem to move. They weren't anyones fireworks or wasn't a plane, I know that. We all stood and looked at them for a few minutes and they never moved!! I thought it was wierd, to say the least. 

So, this morning, after reading your post, I happened to see if I could find anything on the internet about it and sure enough, I did. I don't live in Harrisburg, as this poster does, but I do live in NE PA, not too far away from there. Apparently, someone else thought enough of the orange lights to report it to The National UFO Reporting Center. 

http://www.nuforc.org/webreports/082/S82196.html

I never knew this site even existed and it's pretty interesting to read thru a few of these that some PA residents reported.

http://www.nuforc.org/webreports/ndxlPA.html

http://www.nwlink.com/~ufocntr/  This is the homepage link, if you guys are interested. 

Have a good one!! :smileyhappy:

:smileysurprised:

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 2, 2013 3:32:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Oh, CJ!!! Too funny!!!:smileyvery-happy: 

Anyway, I'm sure there are a few doozies out there. :smileytongue:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 2, 2013 3:36:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Dcookie wrote:

Oh, back from our abduction already.:smileywink::smileylol:

neon_sign.jpg

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 2, 2013 3:42:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Computer-Joe wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

Oh, back from our abduction already.:smileywink::smileylol:

Hahahaha!!! :smileyvery-happy: But, but...I wasn't the only one who saw them...there were 8 of us!! And I didn't even have a drink of wine or smoke anything funny!!! :smileytongue:

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 2, 2013 6:50:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

hpmsrm wrote:

Computer-Joe wrote:

hpmsrm wrote:

I had a weird experience last night.  I took the pooch out for his final pre-bedtime draining and....as always I looked up at the amazing scene of the stars....Orion, Sirius and Jupiter were prominent and the sky was crystal clear.  Anyway.....in a more southeasterly position I saw a super bright star.  Wow it was bright.  I thought that was strange because I'm fairly familiar with this portion of the night sky and it was not supposed to be there.  All of a sudden it disappeared.....turned off like someone pulled the plug.  Then I thought it must have been landing lights on a plane that may have taken off from Kansas City International.  But try as I would I could not see any flashing strobe lights nor did I hear any sound of jet engines.  I must have stared at that area of the sky for 15 minutes and the light did not reappear.  Oh well....what's that old song...."They're coming to get me, barump, barump....etc. etc."?:smileylol:

Phil - you saw an Iridium satelite, flaring.   These satelites are VERY small, compared to others such as the ISS.  Ordinarily they would be nearly impossible to see.  They do have bright mirrors that catch glints of the sun and reflect it back to earth.  Since they are moving so rapidly, the bright reflection only lasts for a few seconds.Heavens-above.com has a link to tracking them.  I'm pretty sure that you live near Grain Valley. MO as you told me about a loud dirt track around you.  Sure ewnough on Sunday night, you saw one of these two "flares."  And to be honest, they could have been brighter if you were closer to the maximum reflection area.  Upcoming flares for your area are fairly few and far between but after sunset on April 27th and in the pre-dawn of April 28th are some bright ones.

Time Brightness Altitude Azimuth Satellite Distance to flare centre Brightness at flare centre Sun altitude
Mar 26, 20:55:46 -0.8 53° 122° (ESE) Iridium 18 32 km (E) -8.3 -16°
Mar 30, 20:40:36 -0.1 61° 135° (SE) Iridium 40 37 km (W) -8.5 -13°
Mar 31, 20:34:32 -3.2 62° 135° (SE) Iridium 77 15 km (W) -8.5 -11°
Mar 31, 20:37:10 -4.4 61° 134° (SE) Iridium 98 10 km (W) -8.5 -12°

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 2, 2013 10:15:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Speaking of Carbide, our literary society in college would fire off an acetylene cannon after every goal during important soccer games.  The acetylene came from Calcium Carbide and water.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 2, 2013 10:22:05 AM
(0)
Master

dhascall wrote:

Americangame - Those posting / no posting fees sound just like AT&T and if you want to leave the forums, there is $9.95, one time fee,  to do that. :smileywink:

Carbide was mentioned in a post, earlier.  When I would go with dad to go fishing or camping, he had two lights.  One was a standard Coleman white gas lantern and he had what he called a "Carbide light."  Man that carbide job was SO bright!  I actually thought that it made it hard to see because it was so bright and created gigantic shadows.  Those were the days.

I telework on Mondays and try to schedule "chores" on Mondays.  Today was story day (and "watching my money disappear into thin air day," too).  Last week, the windshield in our Windstar van got cracked by sliding ice from the roof. The repairman could not do a repair at my home, so I'll have to schedule a replacement (at ~ $300 :smileysad: ).  I asked him if it was safe to drive.  He assured me that it was and since Indiana is not quite as "Ticket Happy" as NY or California, I'd be okay.  He then proceeded to tell me of one of his tickets and he never received his court date in the mail, so he was served a warrant, at his home, in front of all of his neighbors, with six cops and guns drawn.  Oh me.  Nice enough guy, though.

Then it was time for our AC tune up.  Apparently the motor run capacitor was going bad and that needed to be replaced.  So there went $100.  He then told me that he needed a Liver Transplant ( :smileysad: ) due to an auto immune disorder.  He is on Chantix to quit smoking.  He informed about his nearsightedness and his new glasses.  He even told me what his prescription is.  He mentioned that he got saved over the weekend (cool) and that he  was now engaged (his third and last) since his wife no longer wanted to live in sin.  He also told me his girl;s ages.  I'm wondering, will he be giving me a quiz later?

I must have my "good listener" pants on, today.

Dave, guess your Ford Windstar van isn't worth enough to carry full coverage insurance on it? While our Jeeps probably aren't worth enough either I do carry full coverage State Farm ins on 2 out of 3. Main reason is I've never seen somebody like my wife who has had 4-5 windshields replaced in the past 15 years! Just had another replaced on her Wrangler Sahara a couple weeks ago while she was at work. Ticks me off there's so many rocks on the freeways around here from all the construction and dump trucks. At least there's no deductible/out-of-pocket expenses for replacing these windshields w/our coverage. Not trying to rub it in but not really sure why there's no deductible on this windshield damage along when a tree limb fell on her Wrangler last year causing about $1,200 in damages. Rates haven't gone up yet, knock-on-wood.

Some interesting info on the Iridium flaring sightings! Thanks!

CJ, that's some new quilting machine your wife is going to get! Believe she deserves it because I remember you posting pics of the beautiful quilts she makes! I may have mentioned this before but we used to have a friend and this gal had a masters degree from Ohio State in looming. Never even heard of such a degree but she had some awesome old-style looming machines at her house.

Ahh, good ole Dr. Demento and the Funny Farm song. I can relate! LOL.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 2, 2013 10:33:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I know in SC it is a state law requiring no deductible on windshield repair.  I think the idea is that they want them fixed so there will be no visibility issues.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 2, 2013 2:26:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Uni - We do have full coverage on the Windstar but we carry a $500 deductible.  The replacement is way less than that.  State Farm is good insurance but they had lawsuits galore around here after failing to pay out in 2007 over a hail storm.

It is pretty cool to see the Iridium's do that.  That website has predictions for them, the ISS, and tons of other cool nighttime things in the sky.  They will probably track Comet ISON and currently have a map up showing where it is, now.  It's a good companion site to spaceweather.com,

Jeffer - If they could have repaired the crack, that would have been $0 out of pocket but the crack was a bit too long and had a couple of zags. 

I turned a corner and the snow and ice on the roof slid free and right down the drivers side of the windshield.  My dumb luck.  The snow sliding on the roof and cascading down was unbelievably loud.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
Apr 2, 2013 3:01:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

hpmsrm wrote:

Computer-Joe wrote:

hpmsrm wrote:

I watch AA for the same reasons they show stuff that science and historians simply can not explain.